The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Ditto, on Soul Suspect. Intriguing idea, one of those things where even if the execution's off it's exploring a space I really want to see more of and figures to have at least a few really great moments.

I also wonder if Black Ops 2 will finally come down a bit more. The CoD games have become a shade repetitive, but the single player's still fun enough to be worth $10-20, so I just plan to buy them a year later. But it's a year and a half later and Black Ops 2 is still $60 on Steam (though $30 on Amazon). Weird. I'd probably pounce at $19.99, so we'll see if it gets there. But man, waiting just 6 months used to be enough.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've been watching this quick look to try and sway my mind on Murdered Colon. Still in two minds but I'll probably buy it later.

Not being a fan so not paying too much attention to their prices, the COD games don't get huge discounts very often so if you see it with a hefty percentage off grab it.

EDIT - You've seen this, Chris? PROPER detectiving!

Surprisingly cool trailer too...

Yeah, I showed that to my wife not too long ago. I've heaped praise upon Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper here before, but The Last Testament of Sherlock Holmes really didn't have any of the same mechanics (let alone the same caliber of general storytelling). By the end we were going through the motions. So we're probably going to wait and see what some of the reviews say on this one. If it's got some extension of the usual point-and-click mechanics like Ripper did, and/or gets really good reviews in general, we'll definitely bite. Otherwise, probably not.

Yep, I bought Last Testament a couple of sales ago and it definitely didn't have the same impact as Jack The Ripper did. Part of it was the jumping outside of the Holmes mythos and part, as you said, was that the game didn't feel anywhere near as clever.

The Silver Earring game is 50% off on GOG right now. Been thinking about getting it too - wonder how it's aged?

I bought The Silver Earring super cheap a long time ago, played it for an hour or two, and never went back into it. I didn't stop because it was awful, I just never got around to it. I do remember hitting some kind of annoying snag trying to find an item in that first hour, which probably contributed to it.

I did like all the setup in that one--felt like a "proper" murder mystery. So I'll probably make a point to try it again.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Been replaying Bioshock on my PC and a couple of my gripes about this game have returned: It can be frenetic and dialogue is often delivered during those times making it impossible to follow. While I've tweaked the settings for my hamster-powered PC the smoke/fog graphics are a nuisance and I wish there were a way to remove them.

I played The Silver Earring which was fun at the start but became a bit monotonous so I may not make it through Ripper which I'm going to try.

The Adventure Starts Here!
VFN.... I think you'll like the Jack the Ripper one. I thought it was excellent, probably the best in the Sherlock Holmes series of games. Yoda would likely agree with me.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Will play it soon, Austruck. Have you played any of the Law and Order games? I thought the 2nd and 3rd were very well done and quite fun.

A system of cells interlinked
Was someone bashing Elite? because the game is getting good looks on ARS....

Elite on ARS

Nah, but I was hoping that No Man's Sky would at least approach its scope. I have "I am Elite" written in the Qualifications section of my resume.

David Braben is one heck of a guy, up there with Johns Romero and Carmack, Ed Boon, Sid Meier, Hideo Kojima etc (and Swery ). He basically invented the open world genre and the Raspberry Pi.

Murdered Soul Suspect even cheaper at the site I posted earlier - £8.26 now. No one's buying it ........ apart from me.

It's kinda too cheap not to now, and no discount at all in the Steam sale.

EDIT - Seems legit. Key redeemed on Steam and downloading.

Moderately sozzled.
Murdered Soul Suspect isn't a bad game, it's just cripplingly linear. I bought it for £20 retail on release day. £20 because I traded in some games.

I have also been playing Fallout 3. Fantastic game.

Yeah, from what I've seen and read it doesn't look fantastic but definitely worth a punt at that price.

Steam Sale-wise, I've not bought a ton. Every sale that goes buy you seem to buy less. purely because you've already snagged stuff you want in previous sales. Still, I got DmC finally, Chime, Enemy Mind (cool little shooter), Sequence (weird rhythm game/rpg hybrid) and ..... PES2014. Yeah.

Not played a football game since probably the PS2 era and always preferred PES to FIFA. Not sure if I'm going to spend much time with it though...

Thanks for the heads-up; down to $13.50 in U.S. dollars, and yeah, even if it ends up being a bit linear/disappointing, that's definitely worth it. Just got a copy.

And yeah, the first Steam sale you see you go nuts, because there are games that came out years ago there that you never bought. But you get a lot of those stragglers in the first go-around or two.

I was thinking of getting TWD: Season 2, but I'm only through one episode in season 1 and I'm betting (know thyself and all that) that I'll take long enough to play it that the next season might be even cheaper by the time I'm ready to play it.

That's bit me once or twice: buy something for $15-20, not play it for a year, see it for $10 the next year. D'oh.

Yep, I'm holding off on Season 2 until they're all out, same as Wolf Among Us.

Played about an hour of Murdered. It's .... it's ......... it's yeah. Definitely supernatural.

Ghost boilers.

I don't think it's very good.

Best day of the Steam sale so far!

If anyone's interested in The Wolf Among Us, it's 66% off today. Biggest discount I've seen and enough to make me pull the trigger - final chapter in the Season should be along soon.

Otherwise, Battleblock Theatre (75% off) is great fun, Outlast (75% off) likewise if you're into that kind of thing and the Tomb Raider reboot has the same discount. Tomb Raider is especially cheap (£3.74) seeing as it's had a permanent reduction recently and the sale discount stacks.

Phenomenal game if you like Uncharted, good game if you like the proper Tomb Raiders.

Betrayer 80% off - Very stylish but flawed. At £2.99 I'd still recommend it.

The Last Remnant 75% off - That rarest of things, a JRPG on PC. No classic but decent and apparently (I didn't get far enough to notice) without the late game balance issues which affected the 360 version.

Dragon Age Origins 75% off - A classic. It needs to be owned and the PC is by far the best version.

VTM Bloodlines 75% off - Again, a classic. One of the best rpgs I've ever played, simple as that.

One Finger Death Punch 50% off - My game of the year so far. Ludicrously satisfying.

Tomb Raider Underwearworld 75% off - The last proper Tomb Raider game? I played it again recently and it's aged pretty well if you can get past the occasionally janky camera.

Tomb Raider Anniversary - 75% off - The best TR game since the first one is a re-imagining of Tomb Raider 1's most famous levels. Sad that, but a great game nonetheless.

One Way Heroics 75% off - That's 57p! Very tidy little JRPG/Roguelike hybrid. I've not played much of it but liked what I saw and it's the price of a small bar of chocolate.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm playing TWD: Season 2 and I dig it. Two episodes in and just downloaded the third. The first one was really engaging and here I find myself being more of a survivor than a friendly. Although I feel it suffers from the same fate as the first one....no matter what you choose the outcome will most likely be the same. I want to see a game where real choices have real consequences, not just an alternate way of getting to the same results.

Downloaded Puppeteer as well. Really cooky game where you're playing on a stage and people cheer for you when you make it to the next level. There's a spotlight on you as well and the level design is interesting to look at. You need to collect heads (a banana head, spider head, skeleton head, etc) to help you advance to bonus stages and you wield these giant golden scissors to help you cut your enemies and fly up some fabric.

I really dig it as it is unique right now and fun to play. I feel like it will be an easy play through, which is what I need right now with my hectic schedule. I don't want to find myself diving to deep into a story related game.

Also downloaded NBA 2K14 and the new Sly Cooper. The basketball game is to play with some more sports oriented friends when they come over. No real interest from me because the game doesn't have Street or Jam in the title.

Suspect's Reviews

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
This is my first steam sale and I made a budget of 20e to spend on it,because we all know what can happen if you don't have limited amount of money .So these are the games I got:
The Witcher 2
Don't Starve
Penumbra Pack
Skyrim
Tropico 3
I still have 4e to spend and I think I'll catch something good.I'm happy with games I got...Fallout 3 and New Vegas is on 75% sale and its only 2.49e,I want to get it but there is still few days until the end so something better can happen.

there's a frog in my snake oil
This is my first steam sale and I made a budget of 20e to spend on it,because we all know what can happen if you don't have limited amount of money .So these are the games I got:
The Witcher 2
Don't Starve
Penumbra Pack
Skyrim
Tropico 3
I still have 4e to spend and I think I'll catch something good.I'm happy with games I got...Fallout 3 and New Vegas is on 75% sale and its only 2.49e,I want to get it but there is still few days until the end so something better can happen.
Nice batch! Lotsa quality hours in there for that money

(I'm sorely tempted by that F3 deal. I have the basic game on Xbox - but had to stop as I ran out of hours in the day . Can afford it, just not the time I would inevitably sink into modding/playing it )

*EDIT* I've nearly bought it twice already. G*ddamit.