Movie Tab II

Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose

Man on Wire
Academy Award Winner for Best Documentary

I've seen a few films in the last few weeks (on summer break), but this is the first film that has sparked me to write anything. In short, this film made me cry while causing a very strange sensation inside my body. I believe that sensation is referred to as "vertigo."

At the beginning of the year, I see there was a Mofo Discussion Group on this story of Philippe Petit's 1974 wire walk between the Twin Towers. I wish I had seen it then and engaged in the discussion. And I think Yoda was a bit cynical about it.

I do have a vague memory of the event but only in that I remember it happened. I didn't pay any great attention to it as I was 18 and had so many other things on my mind, lol. In the retelling of this story, so many years later after the fall of the Towers, it makes for very compelling cinema. The film is constructed of a mixture of black and white "recreations," a few of which were hysterical (loved the shadows), footage of a young Petit and his friends preparing for the high wire stunt, recent interviews staged with stark lighting, and documentary footage of the building of the towers. All of this combines for a walk down memory lane of a moment that was more than a walk--it was a dance in the heavens. The sheer audacity of it is one thing and if that is all the story was, that would be compelling in and of itself. But this was so much more. The film builds to the crucial moment and when that happens, the exhileration I felt was rare for a film like this. I agree with those that said it was "beautiful." And I don't think I have the ability to say why.

Often, documentaries fall into two camps: they are either dark and heartbreaking, exploring the tragedy of life, or they are exhilarating as they explore the strength and determination which exists in us all. Some of the time, they are both these things. What is so incredibly entertaining about a documentary like this is that this story is always just one slip from tragedy but we know it won't turn out that way. He will make it across. We know this. We are allowed to revel in his daring, celebrate his talent, wonder at this concentration, and gawk at his courage.

One of my favorite moments was when one of the arresting policemen described the walk as more of a "dance," and how he knows he will never see such a thing again. Inadvertently, this film becomes a love letter not only to the beauty of the act itself, but to the Towers themselves. We won't ever see such a thing again. That aspect of the story becomes the slip to tragedy just below the surface, a tragedy that is never discussed or is part of Petit's story. But it is there and we know it.

So in the end, the image of Petit dancing on the air between the buildings becomes more of a celebration that even Petit could have imagined.

In the special features section, there is a cartoon rendering of the story. If you rent the film, check it out.

^^^

I'm currently reading the novel of which that movie is based. I haven't seen the movie so I have only skimmed through your review just incase there are any spoilers. But from what I can tell the old saying (that I just made up ) "It's never as good as the book" is quite apt here.

That's not entirely true, but it's late and I can't be bothered to keep typing.

Good book though.
Re: Blindness

The book came highly recommended and it won the Nobel Prize, but I'm ashamed to say that as of last night, I decided to give up on it. I read the Usual Suspect's review and that makes me more comfortable with giving up. First, I cannot get past the style of the writing. It's annoying to no end and makes for a difficult time. Maybe I just don't have the patience right now. Second, as Usual Suspect's review shows, the story is incredibly dark and it seems I also don't have the desire to be in that world.

I like to think of myself as someone that will read anything, but alas, I guess not.

And I gather I won't watch the film now either!

Re: Blindness

The book came highly recommended and it won the Nobel Prize, but I'm ashamed to say that as of last night, I decided to give up on it. I read the Usual Suspect's review and that makes me more comfortable with giving up. First, I cannot get past the style of the writing. It's annoying to no end and makes for a difficult time. Maybe I just don't have the patience right now. Second, as Usual Suspect's review shows, the story is incredibly dark and it seems I also don't have the desire to be in that world.

I like to think of myself as someone that will read anything, but alas, I guess not.

And I gather I won't watch the film now either!
I agree about the style of writing. It can become incredibly annoying when one sentence can go on for what seems like an eternity with the comma being the only source of punctuation. I think that's probably more to do with the translation process than the actual writer himself. I would think in Portuguese it's a much better read.

Having finished the book a two days ago I can say I found it enjoyable but not perfect. The only major criticism I have is the author does seem to ramble quite a bit. He seems to think everything needs to be philosophised in order to make it interesting which obviously isnt the case and can get very annoying after a while.

It's a decent enough book. Worth the Nobel prize? That's not for me to say. But, I might check the film out if it's ever shown on TV just to see whether or not it's a good adaptation.

Well, Brother Blue, you get a rep point for making it through the book. Congratulations!

I'm starting The Kite Runner. This is the third novel I've started in two weeks, and I gave up on the first two. Cross your fingers: I want to escape into an amazing book and I haven't found one in a while!!

While I'm here, I also want to talk about another film I saw at the recommendation of people here:

Yoda and some others were praising this film in the Shoutbox one day so I put it in my queue and finally watched it.

Ummm... well, I thought it was interesting but nothing spectacular. My biggest problem with the film was Boyle's decision to shoot so much of it in the dark. I simply couldn't see it. I can appreciate the contrast of the dark inside the spacecraft to the bright rays of the sun, but I was having trouble following the film at some crucial moments.

There is much to admire about the film. The claustrophobia of being on a spacecraft is communicated well (much like the best claustrophobia film of all time, Das Boot). The film seems to be an homage to Kubrick's 2001, and that is done very well. Every time the computer said something, I was waiting for it to go a bit villiany, but it didn't, lol. The characters are compelling, the acting is fine, and there is enough suspense to keep it entertaining.

Yet, for me, the moral complexity of playing god rang hallow. I was not invested in the success of this mission. I was not emotionally connected to the idea of touching the sun. I simply didn't care.

I'm glad I saw it though. I gather someone could argue the film is better than I took it to be.

A system of cells interlinked
Quick question:

Have you used the THX video optimizer that comes on some DVDs? Sunshine has some dark scenes, but they are all shot extremely well, and I haven't run into anyone that has ever expressed any sort of difficulty in seeing what was going on (until now). I remember the flick being quite easy to follow visually.

One of the best science fiction films to come out in a long time, IMO.

Quick question:

Have you used the THX video optimizer that comes on some DVDs? Sunshine has some dark scenes, but they are all shot extremely well, and I haven't run into anyone that has ever expressed any sort of difficulty in seeing what was going on (until now). I remember the flick being quite easy to follow visually.

One of the best science fiction films to come out in a long time, IMO.
I didn't know anything about a THX video optimizer. How do you find that? And yea, I figured maybe it was my TV, but I also think the film was rather dark.

Don't you want to argue why you think it is one of the "best?"

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Spirit

Denny Colt is shot dead, yet is brought back from the afterlife and uses his new abilities to fight the evil in Central City. First on his list, is The Octopus. No, not a giant Octopus that attacks the city, just an angry black man who has 8 of everything.

The Spirit is yet another comic book adaptation, this time it's Frank Miller behind the camera in his first solo effort. He was given a directing credit on Sin City, but after watching this film, I wonder how much influence he had on that one. He clearly shows that he doesn't have the knack for keeping an audience's attention or even entertained in the slightest. The Spirit is a mess of horrible acting, bad plotting and stale dialogue that will make you want to vomit. The fight scenes are horribly done and the film as a whole feels empty.

Where does this film succeed? Well, in two places. One it has a nude backside shot of Eva Mendes and two, it is visually pleasing to the eye. Yet these two things do not equal a good film. First, you need a story and this one is hastily thrown together that you never are given a chance to care. We are introduced to our main character, The Spirit as he runs across the rooftops monologuing about how he is in love with the city, his city. He saves a girl, beats up some bad guys and during the fight we discover he apparently cannot be killed. Hmm, that seems to take away all the dramatic tension one would need in any scene in which the hero might die.

The characters are ridiculous and over the top. I get this is a comic book, but it does not translate well to the screen. The Octopus is beyond camp and never seems like a real threat. Watching him fight in the opening scene is a joke and the use of the toilet and the toilet line solidified the fact that this whole film is a piece of crap. Why does this film such so badly? It's because Miller tried to recreate something that was not really his, Sin City part 2.

Sure, he did write the books and the visual styles, but it wasn't he who translated it to the big screen. I'm afraid that if it were Miller who took the reigns of that piece it would look like this. How many shots were directly ripped from that film? Does that style even belong with this film, since the source material is a lot brighter. Miller's dark and gritty tone doesn't really give with this piece, because it's too unrealistically funny. Had the film been more serious and dark, it might have turned out okay.

The women were pure eye candy, serving nothing to the film. The flashbacks that were used to fill in back-story could have been written by a monkey. Sand Saref is the girl from his flashbacks and she has an obsession with diamonds. So much that she goes looking for treasure and finds mythological artifacts, like Jason's golden Fleece and Hercules' blood. It's said that once you drink from Herc's blood you become a God. I don't see how that's any different than how these two characters are now. They never explain it. They just say become a God. They already can't die, but the story needs some kind of motivational piece for the characters to do their actions.

The dialogue is horribly bad. My ears are still bleeding from the wooden delivery of those lines too. Sam Jackson plays himself, in varied costumes. He says random lines about eggs about a dozen times. No significance, other than the fact that he doesn't like them. His henchmen are clones, they repeat inane things. In fact everyone does, this film has repetitious dialogue everywhere, it's annoying.

Yes, it looks nice, but it isn't. It comes off as that loser brother of the popular kid. The popular kid being Sin City. Miller's Spirit is something that I could have done without and you can too.

Suspect's Reviews

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
I think that the only thing similar between Sin City and The Spirit is visual style and that's it, other than that they are nothing alike and shouldn't be compared. I think i'm the only person on this website that liked The Spirit i personally thought it was hilarious and did quite enjoy the toilet line >.> I think that people judged it too harshly because they were expecting it to be like Sin City which it completely is not. Yeah the actors aren't great but i thought it was funny

I watched it and thought and laughed somewhat. Although the visuals were like Sin City, it's practically the only thing I could give the film credit for. Besides that, the film is a stink bomb.
is my rating.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Visually yes, it is comparable to Sin City and it is from Frank Miller ANd they are both comic book adaptations. If he didn't want to comparisons, he should have gone a different route. I praised the visuals, it was the only good thing. I never expected a Sin City 2, but that's the impression I got from it. Even the filmmaking style was the same, quick and dirty over green screen.

The rest of the film was bland, felt rushed and never truly developed. The story is shallow and the reasoning behind everything is weak. A stronger script would have done WONDERS for this one.

After this and my review of Blindness, I think a need a picker upper.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I didn't know anything about a THX video optimizer. How do you find that? And yea, I figured maybe it was my TV, but I also think the film was rather dark.

Don't you want to argue why you think it is one of the "best?"
Most Disney DVDs should have a THX optimiser and anything which George Lucas has been involved in, either by directing or doing the special effects. It's amazing how 'off' your TV can get.

If your DVD player can play jpeg files then google 'pluge' or 'pluge pattern' for the kind of pictures which all these discs have, then put it on a CD.

Oh, and I love Sunshine. It was my movie of the year when it came out.

Miller's Crossing 1990

Every time I watch this I can't believe that it runs 2 hours , it's over in a heartbeat and feels like a very small focused story when you know all the crosses. What is Tom Reagan thinking , is the question at the very inside of this movie and when your looking at him near the end - you still can't tell. I'd say this is among the Coen's best work , clever idea after another with some awesome action scenes in between - it's a technical fanatic's delight.

The Triplets of Belleville 2003

Very little dialogue in this one , it's animation constantly wanes from sub-par to excellent. When is it excellent ? It gives you these awesome moments where it mixes hand-drawn animation seamlessly into 3D cell-shaded objects and backgrounds. Though more often times it's feels very stiff , the story ? The story really isn't bolted at all , until a twist found near half way in.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
This Week:

Roman Holiday [4.5 stars]
Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck highlight this great. The plot is fun, and the dialouge is witty. A must-see classic. Is it any wonder this film turned Audrey Hepburn into a star!

The Apartment [4 stars]
This film is not only a comedy, but its very sweet and heartfelt at the same time. McClain and Lemmon are wonderful together, and I finally understand all the hype surrounding it. It is an overall charming piece of hollywood gold.

Extreme Measures [3 stars]
This dark, mind-bending tale is a terrific medical mystery. However, I think that Hugh Grant was miss-cast. So many other actors could've done better. A lot of moments will have you questioning the main character's decisions. Gene Hackman, on the other hand, actually had me wanting to believe in his cause. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

The Stranger [2 stars]
Honestly, I was ready for this movie to end long before it did. The performances seemed to lack chemistry, and the dialouge was bland. There really isn't mystery to it. It's more like the characters slowly figure out what other characters have spelled out for you. I chose the film because of the actors, and Orson Wells' direction, but sadly I wasn't impressed.

Tango & Cash [3.5 stars]
A typical action flick about two polar-opposite cops is the plot, but Stallone and Russell give it a fairly fresh spin. The script is pretty funny and the action is tops. The near two hours went by quick. Stunt-doubles must have earned their money on this one. Check this out if you're in the mood for an action pack.

Fandango [2 stars]
This movie was supposed to be a comedy-drama. I didn't laugh, and it was hardly ever serious. A movie about the misadventures of five drunken college guys. Two don't even talk. The chemistry between the actors aren't bad, but the characters are underdeveloped. The plot is shallow and the dialouge isn't even worth talking about.

The Eagle Has Landed [3.5 stars]
A really good war movie with a terrific cast, but I felt it was a little overlonged. Too many moments seemed unnessary I suppose. The plot is nicely done, and the script is very well put together. I took away .5 because I felt the pacing was off a bit.

Without a Clue [3 stars]
Half screwball comedy, half mystery, Without a Clue isn't half bad. Caine's performance I liked the most. It was a fun flick, but not going to the top of my list. The story of a fumbling actor hired to play Sherlock holmes was definately original. The jokes seemed a little flat at first, but they picked up nicely. Not a bad watch if you have the time

Got bored and decided to watch a couple of silent films, since a certain MoFo mod seems to think I'm missing out on something.

His New Job

I started off by testing the waters with this short film, picked at random from the collection of Chaplin movies available to watch instantly at Netflix. I must say I was not impressed. Though I can appreciate the skill of Chaplin's slapstick (even if I don't find it particularly funny), there was entirely too much of it crammed into 30 minutes - making what little plot there was hard to follow.

The General

Now this one did surprise me with its complexity and sophistication. The plot was engaging, I did crack a grin at some of the comedy, and I found it really amazing to see what they were able to accomplish without the aid of special effects. Overall, I enjoyed it - but I think this is a one-off kind of thing and I really don't see myself watching it again. Though I may at some point check out some more of Keaton's work.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
The Red Shoes

Astounding. Im actually still watching it.

The editing, the music, the sets. The colours. Everything is exceedingly beautiful.. Having never seen it before i thought it wads overrated but now i understand every bit of praise it has received.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Aha, me too

The Red Shoes

Gotta love P&P's sublimely gauch stylings. Liked the flurry of activity behind the scenes, with all the well-framed sweat and grime, and the camaraderie that grew out of it. The early introductions were replete with some truly technicolor demonstrativeness tho: Declaim, place kitten in pocket, strop out. (Alright ,that didn't happen, but it could have )

The 'impossible' filmic ballet has some great aspects when it happens, even if it tries to push the technology of the time a bit too far in places. I think they were better off using the genuine ingenuity of the stagecraft combined with the merging and transition possibilities of film. The blending of internal and external dance worked pretty damn well in the end tho. (The 'cloud' bit was just naff tho. Meh)

A bit too melodramatic for my tastes at times, it's still an interesting look at a highly-strung theatre 'family', and all the dreams and ambitions boiling over therein.

-

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
^during the red shoes performance when waves crashing on rocks is layered over the orchestra is fantastic, so simple but I was so impressed with that whole sequence.

I think the red shoes is one of those films that can make people fall in love with cinema