The Resident Bitch's New Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

The Resident Bitch's

New Top 100 Favorite Films

Image courtesy of my loyal and willing slave, JayDee

I've seen quite a few movies in the four years since my last top 100 and I think it's time for a revised list. Fair warning: My tastes haven't exactly changed much so there'll be a lot of very familiar titles, but there will be some new entries and my top ten is going to be a little different than what currently shows in my profile.

I've had a hell of a time narrowing this down - using a combination of factors including overall enjoyment, rewatchability, respect, and nostalgia - and I'm already second-guessing the order and have made a few changes to what I originally came up with for this, but now I'm going to stick with what I have.

Aside from assembling the list itself, I've done absolutely zero prep work for these posts. Updates may be sporadic. Apologies in advance for that.

The List:

100. Showgirls
99. Schindler's List
98. Persona
97. U Turn
96. The Road Warrior
95. Romper Stomper
94. The Illusionist
93. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
92. Philadelphia
91. Waltz With Bashir
90. Tombstone
89. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
88. Catch Me If You Can
87. The Incredibles
86. Grosse Pointe Blank
85. School Ties
84. Meet the Robinsons
83. Casualties of War
82. Inside Out
81. Se7en
80. Brother Bear
79. A Mighty Wind
78. Identity
77. The Raven
76. East of Eden
75. A Town Called Panic
74. The 24th Day
73. Flushed Away
72. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
71. The Last Samurai
70. Ernest & Celestine
69. Milk
68. Encino Man
67. Con Air
66. Chicken Run
65. Fight Club
64. State of Play
63. Paprika
62. Heathers
61. The Fifth Element
60. The Cell
59. Blood Diamond
58. Return to Paradise
57. True Romance
56. The Wolf of Wall Street
55. Inventing the Abbotts
54. Walk the Line
53. Demolition Man
52. *Batteries Not Included
51. Rush
50. Cars
49. The Land Before Time
48. Tokyo Godfathers
47. Point Break
46. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
45. Django Unchained
44. The Emperor's New Groove
43. Inglourious Basterds
42. Far and Away
41. Bambi
40. Zodiac
39. The Libertine
38. The Nightmare Before Christmas
37. Over the Hedge
36. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
35. The Quick and the Dead
34. The Sandlot
33. Clay Pigeons
32. Untamed Heart
31. Dances With Wolves
30. Ghost World
29. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
28. Edward Scissorhands
27. Despicable Me
26. How to Train Your Dragon
25. Surf's Up
24. Army of Darkness
23. A Perfect World
22. Bolt
21. 3:10 to Yuma
20. Lilo & Stitch
19. The Breakfast Club
18. The Departed
17. Black Snake Moan
16. The Big Lebowski
15. Wall-E
14. Charlotte's Web
13. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
12. Bubba Ho-Tep
11. Mad Max: Fury Road
10. Wreck-It Ralph
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
8. Being John Malkovich
7. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
6. Ratatouille
5. Her
4. Mary and Max.
3. Up
2. Gladiator
1. Quills

Showgirls
(Paul Verhoeven, 1995)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 99

Full Disclosure: I don't actually think this crappy camp-fest is a good movie. The story is stupid, the acting is atrocious, and - despite the overkill of sex and nudity - it's not actually sexy at all but, damn it, it's fun to watch anyway.

Schindler's List
(Steven Spielberg, 1993)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 93

There are few movies with as much emotional impact as this, but in some ways that works against it. I have nothing but respect for it, but I'm so emotionally wrecked by its conclusion that I can't bear to watch it more than once every few years. Still this is film that everybody needs to see at least once.

Watched Schindler's List for the first time not long ago. Liked it alot top five Spielberg, powerful and well made film. To my surprise though i wasn't devastated by it, it's certainly sad and grim but it didn't hit me that way.

Persona
(Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
Previous Rankings: NEW TO THE LIST

Over the past few years, I've explored quite a bit of Bergman's impressive resume (I've seen 11 films thusfar, if my count is correct) and have found all of them to be quite good. For the moment, however, this visually striking psychological thriller is the only one to make the cut. As I revisit others and explore more of Bergman's work, more may appear in future countdowns.

Damn, i thought at least three Bergmans would make it and Persona would maybe be top twenty. I really need to rewatch it, i watched it ages ago when i was tired and don't remember it that clearly. Did like it though.

Damn, i thought at least three Bergmans would make it and Persona would maybe be top twenty. I really need to rewatch it, i watched it ages ago when i was tired and don't remember it that clearly. Did like it though.
Sorry. I think Bergman's work is amazing, but it's competing with a whole bunch of favorites that I've loved for many years.

I should probably watch Schindler's List again. I remember we had to watch it back in school (elementary maybe?), and that was the only time I've ever seen it.
Elementary school?! That's a pretty intense film for a kid to watch.

I don't think they ever showed it in my school, though I think they added it to the high school curriculum later on as I recall there being some controversy about it due to the sex and nudity.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Number one is Quills.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Elementary school?! That's a pretty intense film for a kid to watch.

I don't think they ever showed it in my school, though I think they added it to the high school curriculum later on as I recall there being some controversy about it due to the sex and nudity.
I forgot that "Junior High" (Grades 7-9 in this province) was a thing and for some reason thought Elementary School was everything from Grades 4-9. I went to the same school from K-9, so I keep getting the terminology mixed up. It was either in late Elementary or early Junior High (I'm certain it was Grade 6 or 7).

I remember for some of the films we watched the teachers tried to cover up some scenes with nudity in them (not always successfully), though I don't recall if they tried that for Schindler's List or not.

Edit: We may or may not have needed a permission slip from our parents to watch it, or it's possible that a mature subject matter warning letter was sent home in advance. That happened a few times.

Sorry. I think Bergman's work is amazing, but it's competing with a whole bunch of favorites that I've loved for many years.
Don't know why you are saying sorry, Bergman is not a favourite of mine haha. Not watched may of his films to be fair though.

Don't know why you are saying sorry, Bergman is not a favourite of mine haha. Not watched may of his films to be fair though.
Watch Wild Strawberries, Smiles of a Summer Night and Through a Glass Darkly if you haven't.

Love Schindler's List and Persona has stuck with me through two watches. I think it is very good, something is kerping me from loving it while I watch it, maybe third time will do it.

What do you guys find entertaining about Showgirls? Just curious.

Care for some gopher?
Great start! I also enjoy Showgirls very much and Schindler's List is a powerfull film and one of Spielberg's best. Haven't seen Person (though six other from Bergman) but i'm really looking forward to it since i'm a huge fan of Liv Ullmann.

So far have only seen Schindler's List; looking forward to the rest!