Movie Reviewers You Trust?

Tools    

I have a vivid memory of Rex Reed dissing Taxi Driver back in the 70s when he was on the Merv Griffin show. After seeing the movie, I realized that this movie "critic" totally missed the boat on what this movie was about. I pretty much dismissed Rex after that. Then Siskel and Ebert started and I was almost always in agreement with Ebert more than Siskel, as Gene was always a bit too commercial for my tastes, but Roger saw the beauty in films both large and small...(BTW, Follow Ebert on Twitter if you don't already. The guy is amazing.)

Later on, guys like Maltin were fine, Barry Norman in the UK was OK too. At the Movies carried on in one form or another and is still around today (and actually it's not bad now. I like A.O. Scott and Michael Phillips, even if they both get stuff wrong now and then).

But I was wondering, do we get all our "review" info from fellow fans, newspapers, At the Movies, friends...what is the most trusted source?

Honestly? None. I don't know anyone who I agree with even the overwhelming majority of the time, let alone every time. That said, I read Roger Ebert as much as anyone and his opinion is enough to get me to look twice at some films.

The closest thing I have to a reviewer I trust is the collective amalgam of MoFo reviewers. If a nice cross-section of MoFos dig something, I know I almost certainly will.

Hmm. I don't think I'd actually go and see a film solely on the basis of a reviewer, but I'd go if one of my sons thinks a film is good cos I trust their judgement. Having said that I do like reading reviews after watching a film. I particularly like the veteran reviewer Philip French in the Guardian and the Observer. He has a good breadth of knowledge after all these years of doing the job, but he is a little hard on loud action films these day

I'm friends with Deseret News critic Jeff Vice, and while I don't agree with him 100% of the time he's still good to debate with and can really make you re-think a movie.
That, in my opinion, is a good critic.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I always liked Roger Ebert. The only bone I have to pick with him is when he synopsizes the movie, or parts of it. I don't want any of the plot revealed to me before I see it. I'm not sure if his reviews are designed to be read before or after seeing the movie, but I get more enjoyment reading them afterwards. Anyway, always respected him, way back from Siskel & Ebert.

A system of cells interlinked
Chris Boyer
Holden Pike

...and a slew of other MoFos, including yours truly. I tend to find that if I review a film well, I would probably like it.

I can't remember the last time I read a review (apart from on a couple of site, including this one, of course) as I've often made up my mind whether or not I want to see a film long before it gets released.

As Kevin Smith said today on the radio here in LA, "everyone's a critic now." Which is true...the whole Twitter phenom is partly responsible for the weekend success of a movie I would venture. Some things will always be critic proof, a la a Transformers 2, but personal one to one peer reviews can be good too. My problem is that I have a lot of friends whose opinions I don't really share. I guess I look for a consensus between the LA Times, At the Movies, general interest, forum discussions, etc. Right now you can find out so much about a movie there really is no excuse for going to see a movie you will not enjoy.

One of the more annoying things is being so on point with another person about one movie, then being on a completely different page for another. I do like how they are engaging their audience at least with the At the Movies people. They've done some internet only video Q/A pieces which is kinda cool. I have to believe that Siskel and Ebert would have done the same back in the day.

I'm friends with Deseret News critic Jeff Vice, and while I don't agree with him 100% of the time he's still good to debate with and can really make you re-think a movie.
That, in my opinion, is a good critic.
I had a look at your link and just as a matter of interest wonder why it's necessary to have this type of thing for every film review

""Shutter Island" is rated R and features strong, disturbing violent content and imagery (gunplay and shootings, strangulation and choking, a beating, vehicular and fiery mayhem, and violence against women and children, mostly implied), strong sexual language (profanity, vulgar slang terms and other frank sexual talk), gory and bloody imagery, drug content and references (painkillers, narcotics, sedatives, various pharmaceuticals and hypodermic needles), brief nudity (full male nudity, as well as glimpses of nude statues), and derogatory language and slurs (some based on race). Running time: 138 minutes.

when you already have this which I presume is the MPAA rating

"Rated R for violence, gore, profanity, vulgarity, brief nudity, drug use"

it seems kinda offputting and more than a little childish. Doesn't it seem like that to the readership or do they welcome it? What are your thoughts Fem?

Put me in your pocket...
But I was wondering, do we get all our "review" info from fellow fans, newspapers, At the Movies, friends...what is the most trusted source?
For me the most trusted source for current movies would be through friends. Next would be Jane Horwitz's "The Family Filmgoer" column in The Washington Post. When the kids were little, her reviews were the ones I'd read and ultimately have agreed with the most....and so I've stuck with her through the years. I also liked how she sizes up a movie...short and to the point.

My favorite source on TV is Robert Osborne on TCM. I love his interesting tidbits about a film or actor....and I love his interviews. He's always a pleasure to watch and listen to. Love him.

I have not seen Robert Osborne, but he sounds good to check out. I think what I like sometimes is the fact that a good reviewer can highlight something you might have missed.

I just saw Who Wants to Be a Millionaire on TV, and they are having a Million Dollar Movie week on right now till Friday. They guys from ATM are the experts.

If Dr Spock, from Star Trek, was a movie evaluator, I would maybe trust him, cause he would rate movies based on logic, not emotion or cultural influence...

He would probably have a 10 point calibration method...and would rate movies along that calibration...

Like music score, not style, but effectiveness and timing..

I think only Spock could evaluate a movies effectiveness or quality, while not allowing his personal taste interfere with the evaluation...maybe...yes no?

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I trust Aniko!

She rarely lets me down with her recommendations.

I have not seen Robert Osborne, but he sounds good to check out. I think what I like sometimes is the fact that a good reviewer can highlight something you might have missed.

I just saw Who Wants to Be a Millionaire on TV, and they are having a Million Dollar Movie week on right now till Friday. They guys from ATM are the experts.

You don't recognize this guy?

Lol.. Me.. Nobody else

Actually, I do recognize him. I just don't remember seeing him review films, just talk about them.

So, last night I watched the first two Who Wants to Be a Millionaire's from this week for their Movie Week. I was surprised how difficult it got. All the questions are about movies this week...anyone else see this?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
We should change this thread to which Mofo reviews do you trust, look to in regards to a film.

Suspect's Reviews

there's a frog in my snake oil
I've gotta admit MoFo has become my metronome on the reviewing front. I look to renowned reviewers, and random ones too, but there's something about getting to know a diverse set of opinions, and having them all in one place, that helps you get a taste for whether you'd get something out of a flick. And there's only so many films you can watch in a life, might as well pick good ones

You mean Mr. Spock.
My bag, I always thought Spock was a Doctor in like science or knowledge... But anyhow, whatever he, it is, I would trust them to crotique any movie...(Can you imagine if Spocked lifted weights, and had Arnold Schwertswhatevers body?