The Videogames Tab

Tools    

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I'll try to get Oblivion on next sale but that could be a long time ,I don't think game that old will go on any mid-week sales or something.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Skyrim too easy? Just play Dark Souls.
I've put 70-odd hours into DS2 and only slightly less into DS1. Different kind of experience to Skyrim so I don't think they're comparable at all.

A system of cells interlinked
Skyrim too easy? Just play Dark Souls.
Very different games...hard to compare them, really. Meanwhile, I play both DS1 and DS2 on NG+, so just look out! I haven't played in a couple weeks though, as i made the mistake of firing up Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition, so any game time i have had has gone to that...

DS2 was a good game, but not as good as DS1, IMO.

Skyrim is pretty easy, but still really fun to explore and play.

Tomb Raider, you say?

I wouldn't bother with the GOTY edition of the reboot - The DLC is mostly (all?) just multiplayer stuff and no one human has ever played the TR multiplayer.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the first three games if you can get past the polygon-iness, the crap controls (you'll need a d-input pad for a controller to work and even then it might not. KBAM is fine though) and general datedness.

Forget all the PS2-era stuff and go straight to Anniversary and Underworld. They're genuinely good games, not just good Tomb Raiders. Legend is ok if you've got £1.24 burning a hole in your pocket and have bought all of the above.

My main complaint of the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raiders is the camera - It's got a mind of its own at times.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Forget all the PS2-era stuff and go straight to Anniversary and Underworld.
Enjoyed underworld more than any other I played. I may take a look at the first three in the series as you suggest.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Okay, I'll check it out. I remember the first Tomb Raider games having very frustrating controls though.

Anniversary's are the same as Underworld's, more or less.

I still dust off the original TR once in a while, mainly for the stunning music these days (which isn't on the PC version for some bizarre reason), but it's my old PS1 discs and ePSXe and not Steam.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I give unto you... Some silly creatures I made in Minecraft....

Just coz I'm bored like

I wish dear old Ian Dury was still alive. What with this Minecraft lark the time would be ripe for a Blockheads reunion.

And in response to my previous post - I'm guessing that the reason the Steam/GOG versions of the PS1-era Tomb Raider games don't have the music is that the tracks would have been played directly from the CD originally. It must be a hard job to port across the music because if GOG can't crack it, I doubt if anyone can.

Fortunately it's dead easy to rip the tracks from my PS1 CD and there's a mod which sticks them in the GOG/Steam game.

Tekken 7!

Seeing as its using the unreal engine I'm hoping a PC version is on the cards. Tekken's always been my favourite fighting game - Ease of use for those of us with sausages instead of fingers coupled with high level gameplay for those sad dedicated enough to master its complexities.

The series has had some killer intro FMVs too. T5DR is my favourite of all:

EDIT - Wrong one. Dark Ressurection Online's is much better.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Okay, videogame nerds, a tech question:

My old Wii console (not Wii U) got fried (video gone, audio still worked), so I bought another one on eBay. I'm currently waiting for an answer from the seller about why the SD card slot doesn't work right (something's not aligned properly and the card doesn't slip in right and I refuse to force it), BUT I do have questions in the meantime:

1. Aside from whatever game data I have on the SD card (and I'm unsure what that is/was now), is there any way to get back whatever Wii Channel games I bought/downloaded for the original console? Without having access to the video on the original console, is there any way to get the games that are in the system memory off the original and onto the new one? (I'm guessing I'm screwed on this, but figured I'd ask.)

2. Anyone else have issues with a card slot (on anything) not quite being in proper alignment? How much can I try to wedge this thing in there before I'm asking for trouble?

Hmmm, I've never owned a Wii (or any Nintendo product with internet capability) but I remember half listening to a conversation two friends were having a while back where they mentioned that 3DS download games were tied to the device and not to the owner's account. I can't remember hearing if there was a way around the obvious problem of having to replace a machine.

It seems pretty bone-headed if that's the case. Your Xbox, Playstation, Steam etc library is accessible from whatever you sign in on although I remember having to de-authorise my old 360 whenever I sold it so the consoles might have a few more anti-piracy measures.

EDIT - I also remember having to authorise the new 360 before it would accept downloads from my account but that was pretty easy to accomplish. Can't remember having to do anything special with my PS3 after Playstation #1 introduced itself to a concrete floor from 5 feet.

Long story short: No idea.

It's not the hugest problem in the world -- if I can get the SD card slot to work (!!), I will likely have game data for the disc games and also the downloaded games. (Any that I could put onto the SD card at the time, I did. I think a very few had to go to system memory, but not many.)

And yes, it does seem stupid to tie anything like that to the device... though, of course, our DVR is just a hard drive that contains our recorded shows, and if that goes on us, we lose what we recorded, sooooo.... Same difference?

Yeah, but you didn't buy the stuff on your DVR.

A quick scad through The Google found this - Link

Not looking good, I'm afraid, but the post is 5 years old. Maybe contact Nintendo support for a definitive answer?

Suddenly I'm happy that I made only a few WiiWare purchases and/or that they were cheap or free. Sounds like I should stick to disc-based Wii games, for sure.

The things one learns....

I've never seriously been in the market for a Nintendo device - a friend gave me their old DS with a stack of games years ago and I've switched it on once - but draconian DRM like this means I won't be considering one in the future unless they change their policies.

Beggars belief...

Anyway, I'm falling in love with Divinity Original Sin but suspect the time is coming for me to quit it and start again. Much like in the old Infinity Engine games, the game is brutal (and not a lot of fun) if you level your characters poorly and often the only recourse open is to cut your losses and start over. I'll keep going with my present party but fights are very hard right now.

If I didn't rate the game I'd either uninstall or plough on until I faced an impossible enemy (then uninstall) but the whole thing is just so engaging, so charming. It's old-school without any mention of 'retro' and for that I'm thankful.

One of my side quests is to convince a snooty lady cat that the down-at-heel bar-room Tom is a suitable partner to settle down with - I've got a perk which allows me to converse with animals.

Seds - You'd love it.

Talking of old-school, I also bought Xenonauts in the Humble sale. It's the first XCOM for (the sensible) people who think that actually playing the first XCOM in 2014 will be in any way rewarding. Like Divinity it's unforgiving, especially compared to the XCOM Enemy Unknown.

Chris - You'd love probably like it if you found it cheap in a sale.

Yeah, I know a guy who loves XCOM and was talking up Xenonauts. I'm thinking about it. It might be a bit too heady for me--I do like deeper games, but I'm not into, like, Kerbal Space Program territory. I kinda fall inbetween. It does look promising though.

Yep, it assumes you're familiar with the original and just drops you straight into the action without so much as a tutorial pop-up.

Nice little review dropped into my inbox this morning which nails it, I think:

If Enemy Unknown has you smitten you'll like Xenonauts, in other words, but don't expect the same game.

EDIT - There was also this video which pushed me into buying the game.