Shaolin Soccer

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2
Battle Royale
Akira
A Fistful of Dollars
Once Upon a Time in the West

I fricken want to see Battle Royale.. I think I just may buy it. Is it worth it?

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

there's a frog in my snake oil
It's good in a brutal-and-bizarre way. Dunno if you'd want to watch it repeatedly, but the thrills-spills-and-ills definitely work.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
City of God or La Haine for me.
Can watch either film anytime in any mood.
There are so many good foreign films, my local music store has a great supply, but I'm always looking for recommendations.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Hmm, if I'm allowed, I'd like to take back what I said about Wild Strawberries being better than the Seventh Seal a couple Years ago. Wild Strawberries probably is probably more immediately affecting, it's more personal, Seventh Seal is more rewarding in the long run, and the one Bergman film I keep going back to over and over.

Anyone seen his new one (I think it was called Saraband, I missed seeing it in N.Y.)?

The best non-U.S. film I've seen in the last year or so was Peter Weir's Picnic at Hanging Rock. What a weird, unique movie, it's so completely different (and better) than any of his other movies that I've seen. The woman who played the geometry teacher was amazing.

A couple other great ones that I've seen recently are Sex & Lucia, and an obscure black comedy from Serbia called Marathon Runners Run Their Final Lap.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Show Me Love (F*cking Amal) (Lukas Moodysson)

Cicade de Deus (City of God) (Meirelles/Lund)

Abre los Ojos (Open Your Eyes) (Amenabar)

In the Mood For Love (Wong Kar Wai)

Ma Vie En Rose (Berliner)

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Thursday Next
Ma Vie En Rose (Berliner)
That's a lovely little film which I haven't seen since it came out and Screenselect seem to be dragging their feet over posting it to me.

Life is beautiful... Roberto Benini is unbelievable in that film.

"Snatch" and "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" were great.

Run Lola Run was interesting.
"Directing ain't about drawing a neat little picture and showing it to the cameraman. I didn't want to go to film school. I didn't know what the point was. The fact is, you don't know what directing is until the sun is setting and you've got to get five shots and you're only going to get two." - David Fincher

A system of cells interlinked
Not best of all time, but one of the best.....

8 1/2

Originally Posted by Sedai
Not best of all time, but one of the best.....

8 1/2
Oh good call man...

Taking care of planet Earth
I think my favourite foreign film is currently Der Untergang (Downfall). It runs pretty long at about 2 and a half hours but not one frame of film is wasted. It's such an emotional film and I can't believe Bruno Ganz didn't get an Oscar for his work here.

Other films I like:

Y Tu Mama Tambien
Das Boot
Seven Samurai
Oldboy
Hard Boiled
Police Story
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Save the Green Planet
Run Lola Run

**edit**

Whoops, completely forgot "In the Mood for Love" which I really liked, challenges "Der Untergang" for my favourite I think.

Half man, half machine
Impossible choice, though I suppose if I had to choose one foreign film to represent my movie watching experiences, I’m inclined to pick Truffaut’s The 400 Blows, because it was the first foreign film I recall seeing.

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

"Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you." - Roger Ebert

Mine would be anything acted by Audrey Tautou (Amélie).

Jeux d'Enfants, das Experiment, 8 Femmes, Run Lola Run, Good Bye Lenin!, 7 Samurai, Der Untergang, A Very Long Engagement, City of God, The 400 Blows, Lilja 4-ever, The Dinner Game, La femme Nikita, Delicatessen, Yamakasi, Motorcycle Diaries & Life is Beautiful.

To be honest, i dont watch much foreign films plus i live in a country where foreign films are hard to find here.

My Favourites would be
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Shaolin Soccer
Hero

Not sure what the best is but Luc Besson's Nikita was fairly good. The Seven Samurai is outstanding, as is Das Boot.

Movie Forums Member
cinema paradiso... i could watch it on repeat for days probably- oooh and also life is beautiful... insanely good.

Strange Brew. It's from Canada.