The Videogames Tab

Tools    

In the Beginning...
ALAN WAKE is finally being released, after about five years of waiting. Sadly, the PC version was nixed a few months ago, so it is only being released for the Xbox360.

Release date is officially MAY 18.
Yeah baby!

Hey Tatty, did you finish Mass Effect 2?

The People's Republic of Clogher
I got about 75% (lvl 30-ish, all but one ally's side quest resolved - I got lost in the assassin one) through it then remembered what you said about your ME1 save affecting events. I'd only given ME1 a cursory playthrough so figured I was missing a lot of cool stuff and stopped to start the first game again.

There are so many little things I've missed or just plain forgotten.

It's not gonna be a chore at all to start ME2 again and it's gonna be with a completely different character, ie not a soldier, because I'd not bothered with biotic powers too much first time round.

In the Beginning...
I got about 75% (lvl 30-ish, all but one ally's side quest resolved - I got lost in the assassin one) through it then remembered what you said about your ME1 save affecting events. I'd only given ME1 a cursory playthrough so figured I was missing a lot of cool stuff and stopped to start the first game again.
I just completed the game yesterday with a Lvl 27 Soldier. Yeah, after I finish Dragon Age, I'm planning on re-playing ME1 to see if I missed anything, and then give ME2 another play to resolve some of the things I wasn't happy with this time 'round.

Pretty rad ending, although (as per usual) the final "boss" fight is somewhat bland. Getting there is incredible, though. You finally feel like you're using all of your squad mates.

I don't want to influence your decision-making too much, but I strongly recommend that you (a) complete all loyalty missions, and (b) invest in every upgrade possible. Now that I'm through, I'm reading over some of the other possible contingencies, and you wouldn't believe how much of a difference those two points will make. Some of them are literally a matter of life and death. You do want to survive for ME3, don't you?

Where did you get lost on Thane's mission?

The bit where you were tracking his son and have to be in a certain spot at a certain time. Didn't bother reloading because Thane said something like "Don't worry, we'll go straight to the apartment" and I thought it was gonna be ok. Bad move, and autosave had already moved on.

We both picked up a lot on ME2's faults but it's safe to say that I love it nonetheless. I've seen it compared to The Empire Strikes Back (#2 in a trilogy and a lot darker and more hopeless in tone than the first) and think it's a pretty good comparison.

I'm nearing the end of my 3rd Dragon Age playthrough on PS3 because I want to finish it as a mage. If you can become an Arcane Warrior you'll quickly find out they're the best tanks in the game - far better than Alistair or Sten.

In the Beginning...
The bit where you were tracking his son and have to be in a certain spot at a certain time. Didn't bother reloading because Thane said something like "Don't worry, we'll go straight to the apartment" and I thought it was gonna be ok. Bad move, and autosave had already moved on.
Hmm, I don't remember that. I just remember fighting my way up that apartment building, and then into the target's room where a scripted event occurs.

Originally Posted by Yoda
I'm nearing the end of my 3rd Dragon Age playthrough on PS3 because I want to finish it as a mage. If you can become an Arcane Warrior you'll quickly find out they're the best tanks in the game - far better than Alistair or Sten.
Yeah, a buddy of mine did that. He says he can stand toe-to-toe with a dragon, even after all his squad mates have kicked the can.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Downloading Heavy Rain demo. Hope I get to play it later tonight.

Suspect's Reviews

Hmm, I don't remember that. I just remember fighting my way up that apartment building, and then into the target's room where a scripted event occurs.
Maybe there's an alternative way through it? I was tailing the son and his intended victim in order to tell Thane when he could get a clear shot - you've got a time limit to move between various points and they're all previously unvisited corridors with blind alleys. Once I lost them, Thane told me to meet him at the apartments but the deed had already been done and the green-skinned fella remained racked with guilt for the remainder of the game

In the Beginning...
Maybe there's an alternative way through it? I was tailing the son and his intended victim in order to tell Thane when he could get a clear shot - you've got a time limit to move between various points and they're all previously unvisited corridors with blind alleys. Once I lost them, Thane told me to meet him at the apartments but the deed had already been done and the green-skinned fella remained racked with guilt for the remainder of the game
You know what, I was thinking of Thane's acquire mission.

I remember now. You tail the intended target from above, although I don't recall that being timed. Perhaps you're playing on a higher difficulty? Anyway, you observe the target below, following the doors that lead to each new section that he and his bodyguard enter. Eventually, you pass through a door and encounter a young kid who says you shouldn't be up there, but you should be able to convince him that you're a repair man of some sort. Pass through two more doors, and you should be in the apartment. The scripted event occurs. (Be ready for a QTE.)

I would just recommend that you keep an eye on the target as you move along the catwalks. That should help you.

obviously everybody is obsessed with the 360 now and Mass effect 2 so you probably bypassed this one but I gave it a chance and what I have to say is:Such a rip off of God Of War still amazing graphics and combos and brutalities but still God Of war 1:1 and quite easy

You know what, I was thinking of Thane's acquire mission.

I remember now. You tail the intended target from above, although I don't recall that being timed. Perhaps you're playing on a higher difficulty? Anyway, you observe the target below, following the doors that lead to each new section that he and his bodyguard enter. Eventually, you pass through a door and encounter a young kid who says you shouldn't be up there, but you should be able to convince him that you're a repair man of some sort. Pass through two more doors, and you should be in the apartment. The scripted event occurs. (Be ready for a QTE.)

I would just recommend that you keep an eye on the target as you move along the catwalks. That should help you.
When I tried it you had to get to each spot on the catwalk before the guys down below went out of sight (which was the time limit I was talking about) and I think I failed it on the very last one.

Bought Sacred 2 a few weeks back because it was heavily reduced. Now I remember what I hated about Diablo - It's friggin' monotonous. Sacred 2 isn't half as much fun as the first game and (much like Neverwinter Nights and its sequel) looks worse while seemingly taking up a lot more resources.

I was gonna now make a smartarse comment about the only European-made RPG I'm looking forward to is The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf, only to read that it was cancelled last year. The Witcher was fab on PC and I loved the idea of that world on console but they're a small Indie company so guess this was always gonna be a big undertaking, especially considering the lukewarm reception for stuff like Sacred 2 and Risen.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

obviously everybody is obsessed with the 360 now and Mass effect 2 so you probably bypassed this one but I gave it a chance and what I have to say is:Such a rip off of God Of War still amazing graphics and combos and brutalities but still God Of war 1:1 and quite easy
Obsessed with 360? Who?

Played the demo of Dante's Inferno, immediately screamed God Of War rip-off. Right down to the mechanics of the game.

Wasn't interested, I'm waiting for the arrival of God Of War III.

These things really suck by the way. They cost probably $3 to make, and cost $20 retail. I've probably run through 20 of these at least in 4 years.

A system of cells interlinked
I played DotA allstars for years - these guys are good at what they do...

A system of cells interlinked
From the early reviews that are beginning to surface, this:

is apparently a highly-detailed, ridiculously overwrought pile of crap.

Bummer, that.

Shall I cancel my pre-order?

From the early reviews that are beginning to surface, this:

is apparently a highly-detailed, ridiculously overwrought pile of crap.

Bummer, that.

Shall I cancel my pre-order?
There's been a constant drip of little things which have seen my faith in FFXIII wither - more cut scenes than gameplay, apparent dumbing down of the visuals to suit the 360, Leona Bloody Lewis etc.

I'm reserving the ultimate judgement until I play it myself but my expectations are nowhere near as high as they were 3 years ago. FFXIII Verses seems a different kettle of fish, however.

In other disheartening news, it seems that GT5 has been pushed back yet again to this Autumn...

...And in 'I'm definitely probably maybe wasting money here' news, I'm thinking seriously about buying a PS3 slim, primarily because my BD collection contains an increasing number of region-locked titles, my launch PS3 is an import and my cheap standalone BD player is, for want of a better word, bobbins. I sometimes need to shave in between loading a disc and the thing actually playing.

I was under the impression GT5 was always going to be late 2010, if even then. Longer still for people like me, who'll be waiting for the PC version. D'oh.

Lots of big games this year, though. Syberia III in June (hopefully), a new Zelda for the Wii (crazy excited about that), and a second Super Mario Galaxy. Can't wait. It'll be fun to have some new console games I can get really into again.