The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Unregistered User
I'm late to the party here but delighted with the set before last containing Onibaba, my number 3 pick and Repulsion, my number 11. I highly doubt that there will be a better set in this list than this one for me. Both are easily up there with my favourite psychological horror films, which also happens to be my favourite (sub)genre of film. Two films that I have even bothered to do a review of (badly), so that should also count for something.

I'm also hoping for a fairly similar film from another Japanese director however i'm fast losing hope that it will show. Cricket knows my troubles.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Woah! My 4th film shows up!

Red Beard is a film that made me cry, but it wasn't just the silent weeping. There was screaming, there were tears, there were moans. Okay, maybe not moans - it's not a pr0n film. Anyway, it's perhaps the most humanistic film I've ever seen. Mifune gives a surprisingly calm performance (except for the bones-breaking scene). The cinematography is as always with Kurosawa, glorious. The scene with the little girl is heart-breaking. Like the most heart-breaking in history of cinema.

Breathless is not my favourite Godard film and I didn't place it on my list, but it's a film I liked very much.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I haven't seen either.

I did a look up today and realized there are only 5 more wildcard spots up for grabs, 53 movies that I would consider locks to make it, meaning most of my films on edge will not make the cut.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I have seen two Godard, both from the 60's. One of them was Breathless. I have been very underwhelmed. I think Godard and I just have two different definitions of cool. I am sure it is probably a cultural and generational divide. His movies seem to be very character driven which should appeal to me, but so far it does not.

Kurosawa I have only seen three from, Red Beard was not one. I have been fine with his movies so far but yet to be blown away so I am pacing myself. I love his cinematography but find his characters very one dimensional and his dialogue stiff and cold.

The recent drought from my list is over, I give Godard a lot of sh*t but I consider Breathless a classic and the one film in his filmography that everyone should watch. A revolutionary film, an entertaining narrative, creative cinematography, and packed with interesting dialogue. I expected it to show up hugher as well, but this makes me happy to think that less of his films will be showing up. #21 on my list.

Haven't seen any of Kurosawa 60s films

My List:
3. Knife in the Water
5. La Jetee
7. The Trial
21. Breathless

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I've not seen Red Beard, but Breathless is, of course, absolute ****.
shiiit, I repped you by accident! -.-
Do you like any Godard movie?

ATTACHMENT 22253 NOT FOUND

The Criterion Effect on our lists was I think especially inevitable for both the '60s and the eventual 1950s list. Criterion is an offshoot of Janus Films. Janus made their bones by distributing foreign language films in the United States, with Bergman's The Seventh Seal being their breakthrough, as far as visibility, marketing, and distribution. So from the late '50s and beyond, most every big name in foreign cinema came to American cinema screens through Janus. This was the era of Bergman and Fellini and Kurosawa at their heights, the entire French New Wave, and just about everything else. They still retain rights to most of that incredible catalog, and have long established relationships with those filmmakers and overseas studios and producers. Which is why the core of the Criterion Collection, both on BluRay/DVD and on LaserDisc before it, are these international classics.

In the 2000s, Criterion has been remarkably efficient at establishing their brand and marketing themselves. They are also very savvy about making their library available through streaming and just generally getting their name and products out there. Considering what the Art House was in the 1960s coupled with Criterion's sense of prestige and sheer force in the marketplace, I expected the MoFo list to read much like the Criterion website. Not to take anything at all away from the power and influence of Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa, Godard, et al., because their work certainly speaks for itself quite well and I would hope that their names appear on any such "best of" list, Janus/Criterion or not. But as we go further back in the history of cinema, especially for you younger MoFos, it is going to be a question of access and visibility, both of which Criterion is very adept at fashioning in the marketplace and the cinema nerd landscape. But there are certainly many great films outside of the impressive Criterion umbrella. How many of those the virgin viewer will find and potentially add to their personal lists is the question.

But, it's all good, Homies. As you were.
Also the fact that Criterion has more 60's films than any other decade... I'm really not too surprised.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The biggest question mark films are whether An Autumn Afternoon, West Side Story, and Dr. No make it. I say the first two will, while this Mr. bond is denied.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Red Beard is Kurosawa's final B&W film and his last with Toshiro Mifune. It's a deceptively simple tale of two strong personalities, both doctors, who are able to learn from each other and a few of their patients. What makes it unique is it's set in a Tokyo suburb in the 19th century. As Minio said, it has many moving scenes as well as a very memorable earthquake. When it starts out, it makes you wonder why it's three hours long, but at the finish, it seems just about the right length.

I like Breathless as much as any Godard I've seen. I don't see it as an earth-shattering revelation though. It's just an offbeat take on the gangster/rebel without a cause genre with enough playfulness that it showed all kinds of filmmakers that they could make a movie and break the rules or invent a few new ones too. As a movie I barely recommend it, but as a slight opening of a sorta Pandora's Box of movie freedoms, it means more. Don't forget though that Pandora's Box was full of evil.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah picks from my list out of 42 so far.

A system of cells interlinked
Repulsion and Breathless both almost made my list, but not quite.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future

The Criterion Effect on our lists was I think especially inevitable for both the '60s and the eventual 1950s list. Criterion is an offshoot of Janus Films. Janus made their bones by distributing foreign language films in the United States, with Bergman's The Seventh Seal being their breakthrough, as far as visibility, marketing, and distribution. So from the late '50s and beyond, most every big name in foreign cinema came to American cinema screens through Janus. This was the era of Bergman and Fellini and Kurosawa at their heights, the entire French New Wave, and just about everything else. They still retain rights to most of that incredible catalog, and have long established relationships with those filmmakers and overseas studios and producers. Which is why the core of the Criterion Collection, both on BluRay/DVD and on LaserDisc before it, are these international classics.

In the 2000s, Criterion has been remarkably efficient at establishing their brand and marketing themselves. They are also very savvy about making their library available through streaming and just generally getting their name and products out there. Considering what the Art House was in the 1960s coupled with Criterion's sense of prestige and sheer force in the marketplace, I expected the MoFo list to read much like the Criterion website. Not to take anything at all away from the power and influence of Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa, Godard, et al., because their work certainly speaks for itself quite well and I would hope that their names appear on any such "best of" list, Janus/Criterion or not. But as we go further back in the history of cinema, especially for you younger MoFos, it is going to be a question of access and visibility, both of which Criterion is very adept at fashioning in the marketplace and the cinema nerd landscape. But there are certainly many great films outside of the impressive Criterion umbrella. How many of those the virgin viewer will find and potentially add to their personal lists is the question.

But, it's all good, Homies. As you were.
Very good writeup, Holden. We have the same thing as The Criterion Effect going on with modern cinema as well. Popular film journals (in most cases, with reviews of movies at the neighborhood multiplex) and studios limit what we can see all of the time. While we may still have access to other things with the Internet, it's the studios jobs to make you think that the vast majority of films aren't worth seeing (hence the "cinema is dead" category of film reviewing). The Oscars are basically an advertisement for Hollywood, and the inclusion of a Foreign Language Film category effectively narrows world cinema down to a tiny hole of what's "worth seeing."