The Movie Club Selection Poll

Tools    

Which of these movies do you want to watch in the new Movie Club?
34.29%
12 votes
Rashomon
11.43%
4 votes
Around The Bend
17.14%
6 votes
Heaven Can Wait (1943)
28.57%
10 votes
The Conversation
8.57%
3 votes
Maria Full of Grace
35 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I got for good luck my black tooth.
well, so far it looks like Rashomon I don't know when the cutoff time for voting should be. I suppose y'all could go with Sam's suggestion of 3 days...I'm gonna put Rashomon at the top of the queue and just hope it wins.

BTW: how quick is the turnaround time with netflix

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've been with Screenselect since the turn of the year, first one I tried. Turnaround has slowed considerably since I joined though (I'm on the '2 films at a time' subscription and they never send me my allocation on the same day anymore, even if I return 2 discs on the same day). I've had a couple of movies in my Priority list for a few months now and this morning they decided to send me a film which I selected on Sunday...

Lets put a smile on that block
Taccy, go LoveFilm! Honestly once youve had it you'll never go back!

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Taccy, go LoveFilm! Honestly once youve had it you'll never go back!
The one thing Screenselect has in it's favour, and it's maybe a personal thing, is that you can have your subscription fees direct debited out of your bank account. My credit card needs a little rest, as it's smouldering quietly in the corner...

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Tacitus
The one thing Screenselect has in it's favour, and it's maybe a personal thing, is that you can have your subscription fees direct debited out of your bank account. My credit card needs a little rest, as it's smouldering quietly in the corner...
So does LoveFilm, thats how i pay for it anyway. Trust me i hear ya on the credit card front, mines melted.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I voted for Around the Bend, but since it's not universally available, I'm throwing my support behind Roshomon.

Strummer, when are you leaving and when will you be back?

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I'm leaving today and should be back Saturday or Sunday....on second thought, I won't be here to see the poll end but I should be able to see the movie on time.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Strummer521
I dunno if that'll happen Sam I got a pretty good amount of hair.

Besides, since I started the poll, I suppose it would be fair If I picked the movie in the event of a tie right? actually I think I'll be gone by the end of the poll, I may not even be able to watch the movie in time. So if there's a tie I guess Sedai can pick, since he was the second one to post. That won't cheat him out of his own pick, he would still get that for the next movie since I chose all the films in the poll.
I am fine with any of them, really, and have actually been wanting to see Maria full of Grace...But like Slay says, Rashomon is just such a seminal film...so much to talk about with it.... I also own The COnversation, so that would be fine too!

Is this the film club as Tacitus was discussing the other night? In my experience with two film clubs now what Austruck said

Originally Posted by Austruck
I seem to remember this was part of the problem the last time: movies being picked that were tough to find at a rental store nearby. That happened repeatedly, as I recall. I'll check one place for a rental, but I won't be able to go all over town to three or four places looking for a single movie.

Just a thought and a concern, based on what happened before...
is completely in line with my experience too. Of the films on the poll here, the 1943 version of Heaven Can Wait isn't available on R2, neither is Around the Bend so how are people in the UK voting for it?

Film clubs like this where one person chooses a list of films can sometimes become like how esoteric/elitist can you get? That, added to the fact that many people belong to postal rental companies and so can never rely on their choice being sent to them in the near future, mean that they're doomed to peter out.

Wouldn't a more inclusive club be like Tacitus suggested where all newer releases are in the poll, so that people in most parts of the world would find the dvd in their local rental shops?

Originally Posted by christine
Film clubs like this where one person chooses a list of films can sometimes become like how esoteric/elitist can you get? That, added to the fact that many people belong to postal rental companies and so can never rely on their choice being sent to them in the near future, mean that they're doomed to peter out.
What do you suggest to overcome that?

Wouldn't a more inclusive club be like Tacitus suggested where all newer releases are in the poll, so that people in most parts of the world would find the dvd in their local rental shops?
I think it's unfair to suggest that anybody was trying to be exclusive with this. I'm sure people will take your points into consideration in the future. Strummer was trying to get the ball rolling here, and probably didn't know how hard it would be for some to get films. I certainly had no idea. If you could put forth some guidelines, it will really help.

Originally Posted by Christine
Film clubs like this where one person chooses a list of films can sometimes become like how esoteric/elitist can you get?
I don’t think this is meant to be accusatory, Sammy.

Is it?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I don’t think this is meant to be accusatory, Sammy.

Is it?
Nope, nothing of the sort Bri.

Christine has been organising forum review clubs for a while. Everything she says has been the result of experience and trying to get as many people involved as possible and maintaining their interest.

It'll all iron itself out.

The Adventure Starts Here!
LOL....well, do we have a cutoff date for the voting? If it's looking like this or that flick, I could try to find and rent it before I go out of town on a short writing retreat for two days. (Have a DVD player there and could watch it then.)

nah I wasn't trying to be mean to anyone, its just that if you do want to be as inclusive as possible ie have as many people as possible being able to join in, then you'll get a bigger and more varied discussion.

The thing is that you do have to bear in mind the availability of dvds. I know its a pain in the ass checking if they're out on both R2 and R1, but what's the point otherwise if you have so many posters from Europe too. I know you can equally say, well let them vote for the ones they can get but that's kinda restrictive isn't it?

The postal rental situation is one that's not really getoverable. Either you don't join in the discussion till you get your dvd eventually, or you go and rent it locally. Even though I belong to a postal company, I'm quite happy to go and rent from a shop too, I think Tac's ok with that too. I imagine it wouldn't be too problematic for most people.

The idea me and him came up with was to make a poll out of 10 (or whatever number)recently released dvds of varying genres. That way you catch those films that maybe people have missed out on at the cinema. It's not been a bad response over on the other board, but I reckon it could be so much better here where you have so many enthusiastic film lovers. You could stick a couple of oldies in there too if you like. Or Tac suggested a while ago you could have a themed one - all the films about trains or dogs or whatever.

There's a few other things too. You have to try and get it kinda tight and clubby cos some people just don't seem to see the point. I mean they vote for what they want to see, and if their choice doesn't win, then they don't bother to watch what does win. That always seems pretty pointless to me cos you're trying to get people to see something they mightn't have otherwise seen.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling

i have an idea...maybe everyone can list the films that they can get access to and pick from that list instead of ones that we like or ones that we've seen already....

Originally Posted by susan
i have an idea...maybe everyone can list the films that they can get access to and pick from that list instead of ones that we like or ones that we've seen already....
Along these lines, is there a website or somewhere that those of us in the US can use to find out what is available to people in other regions?

For general mainstreamish films a quick way would be to look on amazon.co.uk as opposed to .com. Or as someone has suggested to check a dvd is out on R2 look on one of the UK rental sites like lovefilm or screenselect. Conversely if someone outside the US wanted to check the availability on R1 they could look on one of the big US rental sites - what would they be? Netflix?