The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

THE GENERAL 1926 Directed by Buster Keaton, Clyde Bruckman

1h 7min | Action | Adventure | Comedy | War
Writers: Buster Keaton, Clyde Bruckman
Cast: Buster Keaton, Marion Mack, Glen Cavender

Great watch and cinematic history lesson. Almost a hundred years old yet the majority of the film still holds up today. Buster's comical timing is impeccable. Loved the stunts and shots on/ of actual moving trains, the directing, the story, the cinematography, music, character development and the high production value, big set pieces and large groups of extras.

Sure there are some aspects one could call dated like the circus-show style acting influence on the performances with a lot of acrobatics and expressive clownesque pantomime humor. But that didn't bother me at all. In fact this style of acting evokes a lot of sympathy and quicker character building. Because I'm reading the actors' lips and expressions, my level of engagement may be even higher than with non-silent films.

Essential 20's watch that has been on my watchlist for ever, glad it was recommended!

Congratulations to John Connor for being the 5th member to finish! As said, The General is certainly essential viewing.

It's been many years since I've seen House of Games. I do remember being satisfied by the ending as I remember betrayal on multiple levels, not just a con.

The Last Laugh
(F.W. Murnau, 1924)

My fourth Murnau (Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans; Nosferatu; Faust) and the first I've rated less than 4.5 stars. Like the others, The Last Laugh is a cinematic showcase of technical wizardry and innovative camerawork. Murnau seemed to consistently strive for (and often achieve) artistic heights that pushed the medium toward the future, illustrating the boundless potential of movie making. He was a magician with a camera, making many other silent filmmakers look like cavemen by comparison. The Last Laugh is notable for its lack of title cards. Dialogue and exposition are merely crutches. Kick them aside; allow the visuals to stand on their own. The story here is shown, not told, yet there's never any confusion about what's transpiring externally or internally with our put-upon protagonist. Through visual techniques alone, Murnau brilliantly conveys the mounting shame and psychological devastation that the doorman suffers after being stripped of his uniform and transferred to a separate job within the hotel. Buildings appear to grow and loom. Leering faces multiply and mock like a kaleidoscope of scorn. We feel the recoil of shame through the quick cut of the camera. Emil Jannings, sporting some of the mightiest whiskers to ever grace the screen, gives a performance as large as his waist. His exaggerated mannerisms and facial expressions make every emotion obvious, but his heavy lifting isn't necessary when the camera is already emoting alongside him. I hated the contrived ending, but I've softened my stance after learning that it was forced on Murnau by the studio.

Formally, The Last Laugh is just as much a masterpiece as Sunrise or Faust, but the story didn't connect with me at all. Unlike other Murnau films I've seen, The Last Laugh is devoid of sensationalism. No vampires. No attempted murder. No pacts with the devil. Just a portly old man losing face with family and friends due to a job transfer. We see at the beginning of the movie that Jannings's unnamed character is no longer able to perform his duties as doorman at an acceptable level. His new job as bathroom attendant is less physically demanding and the salary is higher. Breathing ass gas all day might not be the most glorious way to earn a living, but hotel doorman doesn't strike me as a prestigious job either. Apparently in Germany, however, uniform is king. Strip a man of his uniform, you strip a man of his worth. Jannings is comically forlorn at the physical removal of his regal uniform. He's so despondent in that scene you'd think someone just unloaded a flaming bowel movement onto his soul. "Doorman becomes bathroom attendant" isn't much of a narrative; and the notion that not getting to wear a sweet uniform to work anymore is some Shakespearean tragedy is ridiculously overblown to me. Chalk it up to cultural differences, but the chasm is wide enough that I was only able to appreciate the film for its considerable technical skill.

(90% sure this nomination came from Frightened Inmate.)

That sounds like how I felt about The Last Laugh. I just wouldn't be able to articulate it that way. It is a movie I could see working for me more if I watch it again.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Out of the Past

My Film Noir experience is probably very limited, but Out of the Past seems like one of the classics and plays into that extremely well. The language, the feel, the double crossing and femme fatales, this film takes you on a ride.

The dialogue is lightning quick, reminded me a lot of the opening to The Social Network in terms of the back and forth speed. I understand most films like this back in the day were all fast, but the quick one liners from Bailey had me chuckling. He always seems to have a wise cracking answer for everything, which gave you confidence in the character. Even when people are double crossing him, you get the sense that he will somehow find a way out of it because he never seems to lose his cool. A good performance by Mitchum in the lead, a man trying to escape his past is dragged back into it. He must finish a job once and for all to clear his past, but it can't be that easy.

The cinematography tosses away the harsh shadows you'd typical find in this genre, instead we get a warm glow with the occasional nod to the darkness. The twists and terms of the plot do enough for the viewer that you don't need any visual references to pull you in. The story successfully pulls you in, not lagging behind on any information and keeps you guessing how things will shake out by the end of it.

I enjoyed it, I think @Citizen Rules nominated it because he's the only review I can find, hahaha.

Suspect's Reviews

I've got to see Out if the Past again. It was pretty popular during prep for the 50's countdown but then I merely thought it was good. There's a lot of movies I like much more the 2nd time around and I think this would be another. Great review TUS!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Out of the Past

I enjoyed it, I think @Citizen Rules nominated it because he's the only review I can find, hahaha.
That's my pick for you TUS

EDIT: OHHH, ****, no it was not! Sorry xD That was actually my second option for you!

Paris, Texas

I was stoked that this was chosen for me because I'd wanted to see it for a long time. I guess it was mostly based on perception and who had said what about it, because I really didn't know anything about it. It was my 4th movie from director Wim Wenders after Wings of Desire which made my docs list, The American Friend which was terrific, and The Million Dollar Hotel which wasn't very good. Paris, Texas is the best of the bunch.

It's always fun to watch older movies and see actors you like, in this case Harry Dean Stanton and Dean Stockwell, in their prime. They and the rest of the cast were excellent. This movie is a slow burn as we get to know the characters and their pasts, and it works. It becomes more and more emotionally moving. I didn't totally buy the amount of trauma suffered in relation to the incident, and there were a couple of moments that made me go hmmm. That's what stopped me from seeing this as the masterpiece I was hoping for, but it was still a great movie. Despite the somber mood and story, it felt good watching it and it's hard to explain why. It felt very human and relatable. A big plus is how the movie looked and in that regard it definitely gets a 10/10. Most of the movie merely looks right, but here and there the viewer gets these stunning shots even though they are mostly of mundane things. Very happy to have finally seen it.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Harold and Maude

There are movies who grab you since the first frame and you simply know that you're in for a ride. Harold and Maude had, unfortunately, the opposite effect in me.
Don't get me wrong, I do see value in this film and I understand why it's widely loved. It's so homogenous... The writing, soundtrack, characters, cinemotography, all have the same tone and create an incredibly strong atmsphere. But it's also the reason I didn't like it, because none of the elements says anything to me.
The relationship between Harold and Maude it's an interesting one. Polar opposites in almost everything: young and old, rich and poor, serious and almost crazy, obsessed with death and obssessed with life but equally outcasts, they complement each other surpringly well.
But ultimately I could never connect with any of the characters, and I find them all actually quite annoying.

+

Harold and Maude
+
You loved Harold and Maude! I know you did, you just don't realize it yet...That was my nom for you, I figured if you liked that annoying Withnail & I you should love Harold and Maude.

Me, I hated Harold and Maude it is annoying!

Paris, Texas

I was stoked that this was chosen for me because I'd wanted to see it for a long time. I guess it was mostly based on perception and who had said what about it, because I really didn't know anything about it. It was my 4th movie from director Wim Wenders after Wings of Desire which made my docs list, The American Friend which was terrific, and The Million Dollar Hotel which wasn't very good. Paris, Texas is the best of the bunch.

It's always fun to watch older movies and see actors you like, in this case Harry Dean Stanton and Dean Stockwell, in their prime. They and the rest of the cast were excellent. This movie is a slow burn as we get to know the characters and their pasts, and it works. It becomes more and more emotionally moving. I didn't totally buy the amount of trauma suffered in relation to the incident, and there were a couple of moments that made me go hmmm. That's what stopped me from seeing this as the masterpiece I was hoping for, but it was still a great movie. Despite the somber mood and story, it felt good watching it and it's hard to explain why. It felt very human and relatable. A big plus is how the movie looked and in that regard it definitely gets a 10/10. Most of the movie merely looks right, but here and there the viewer gets these stunning shots even though they are mostly of mundane things. Very happy to have finally seen it.

No guess as to who nominated it?!

There weren't a ton of options to choose from since you've already checked off so many entries on the lists, but this and Ran were the two that immediately stood out. (I also briefly considered Mystery Train but remembered that you don't jive with Jarmusch.) Went with Paris, Texas since I thought it'd be more likely to strike an emotional chord with you. (At the very least you should be able to relate to a guy marrying a hot blonde way out of his league . I also know you've been through some dark times in the past that I'm sure put a strain on your marriage, though I don't recall you ever mentioning anything about becoming a mute and wandering aimlessly across the Texas desert.) I'm glad someone else ultimately chose Ran for you as I think it's Kurosawa's second best after Seven Samurai.

I hadn't watched Paris, Texas in close to a decade, but I gave it a long overdue revisit yesterday after noticing that you'd posted about it. Still think it's an incredible film. As you mentioned, the movie looks amazing. The European, American name of the title/symbolic town within the film is very appropriate, as this is distinctly a road movie across America with a European behind the wheel. It's great to see Harry Dean Stanton lead a movie since he's almost always limited to supporting characters. Nastassja Kinski knocks her scenes out of the park (and it continually baffles me that the odd-looking Klaus Kinski could produce someone so gorgeous). I also think the kid delivers a nice, natural performance. The relaxed pace is a perfect complement to Stanton's character. I'd never paid attention before that Sam Shepard wrote the script, so that was a cool detail to discover.

Curious which moments made you go "hmmm." I think the entire film is great, but the big emotional unveiling between Stanton and Kinski with the one-sided mirror separating them is the scene that elevates it to another level for me. I can understand why you wouldn't fully buy the trauma, but to me it feels earned. Stanton's monologue reveals everything we need to know. I can somewhat relate to what he's experienced having been the obsessive, jealous, controlling one in a relationship, and even though my version is far less dramatic, it was nonetheless traumatizing for me. I carried within me a lot of personal shame and disgust for years afterward, and I avoided relationships because I was afraid that same part of me might reemerge. So just extrapolating my experience with the characters, Stanton's fugue state that opens the film, although certainly extreme, doesn't seem too crazy to me. No matter how far he travels, he can't escape his biggest enemy: himself. I also find the ending extremely powerful. When Stanton first visits her at the peep show, he's unable to control a burst of jealous anger. And in that moment any notion of getting back together as a family is quashed. He realizes he can't trust himself not to revert to his old ways. I find it both tragic and poignant.

Anyways, beautiful film. I'm glad you thought highly of it.

I did think it was powerful, but my first thought when he walks out of the desert was I was watching a sequel to Being There. And I get that it's traumatizing, but compared to what the characters in say Manchester By The Sea went through, it seems to pale in comparison. I think it would have been even more effective for me if it opened up with him "normal" and then he fell apart. As for the hmmms, I'm probably nitpicking and they're so minute that I practically forget already. Minor things like why weren't they at the bank before they opened after driving all that way or not seeing the car when it seems to be in plain sight. I also had very high expectations. For the most part they were fulfilled.