John Connor's Entertainment Log

→ in
Tools    

THE SILENT PARTNER 1978 Daryl Duke

1h 46min | Crime | Drama | Thriller
Writers: Curtis Hanson, Anders Bodelsen
Cast: Elliott Gould, Christopher Plummer, Susannah York

Very good seventies bank heist thriller with excellent lead performances. A constantly involving cat and mouse story between bank teller and bank robber. Christopher Plummer does a total 360 from his role as Col. von Trapp and plays a sadistic weirdo psychopath bank robber. Perfectly cast opposite the always relaxed and comical Elliot Gould who plays the bank teller. Features a smooth jazzy soundtrack, lots of women without any clothes on, and some scenes with graphic violence. It’s also a Christmas movie in a Die Hard kind of way.

+

THE EXPANSE S4-2019

TV | Drama | Mystery | Sci-Fi
Creators: Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby
Cast: Steven Strait, Cas Anvar, Dominique Tipper, Wes Chatham

Season 4 started great, then got a bit average with the side stories. Until the amazing episode 9 'Saeculum' which totally saved this season and brought it back to the high level we're used to. I think they used most of the budget for ep 9. it looked top notch. Can't wait for the next season which is already finished.

Filming completed February 2020, which means the upcoming season did not experience any effects of the C-19 outbreak.

+

ALL IS LOST 2013 Directed by J.C. Chandor

1h 46min | Action | Adventure | Drama
Director: J.C. Chandor
Writer: J.C. Chandor
Cast: Robert Redford

A superb one man show performance by Robert Redford as a man who is lost at sea and the hardships he faces in a battle against the beautiful but intimidating and unforgiving ocean.

This is a well directed 'man versus nature' film with impressive cinematography, skillfully capturing the vastness of the ocean. There isn’t much plot and zero supporting acts. It's all Redford all the time. Who gave a very refined and subtle performance expressing the many levels of survival instinct, desperation and willpower when a man comes face to face with his own mortality. He really successfully carries this movie all by himself.

If you like classic 'man vs nature' survival flicks like Castaway or if you're just a fan of Redford, I highly recommend giving All Is Lost a try.

+

QUEST1984 Directed by Saul Bass, Elaine Bass

30min | Short | Sci-Fi | Fantasy
Writer: Ray Bradbury
Cast: John Abbott, Noah Hathaway, David Comfort

Descendants of a crashed spaceship live in caves. A mysterious force creates a biosphere that causes them to age and die in just eight days.

Directed by the legendary graphic designer Saul Bass and his wife Elaine, based on Ray Bradbury’s short story Frost and Fire. The set design is amazing and the story concept is most intriguing but as with many fantasy/sci fi works from that era, it looked a bit dated at some points. Overall still a very good looking admirable short film with a very interesting plot that could potentially work as a full length film.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
ALL IS LOST 2013 Directed by J.C. Chandor

1h 46min | Action | Adventure | Drama
Director: J.C. Chandor
Writer: J.C. Chandor
Cast: Robert Redford

A superb one man show performance by Robert Redford as a man who is lost at sea and the hardships he faces in a battle against the beautiful but intimidating and unforgiving ocean.

This is a well directed 'man versus nature' film with impressive cinematography, skillfully capturing the vastness of the ocean. There isn’t much plot and zero supporting acts. It's all Redford all the time. Who gave a very refined and subtle performance expressing the many levels of survival instinct, desperation and willpower when a man comes face to face with his own mortality. He really successfully carries this movie all by himself.

If you like classic 'man vs nature' survival flicks like Castaway or if you're just a fan of Redford, I highly recommend giving All Is Lost a try.

+

All Is Lost is a great movie. What did you think of the ending?

WARNING: "All is Lost ending" spoilers below
Love it because there are two ways to look at it;
1- he died/drowned then 'the hand of god' took him out of the water.
2- he gave up waiting to drown then a rescuers hand took him out of the water.
It's a 'make your own conclusion' ending, and it worked here.

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War 2020

1h 30min | Animation | Action | Sci-Fi
(Voices: Matt Ryan, Jerry O'Connell, Taissa Farmiga, Jason O'Mara, Rosario Dawson, Camilla Luddington, Stuart Allan, Rebecca Romijn, Shemar Moore)

Darkseid has defeated or captured most of his enemies and now reigns supreme as a 'new god'. Clark Kent is tattoo'd up with Kryptonite and in order to save the planet he has to call up on unlikely heroes and even villains to once again take the war to Darkseid.

John Constantine was a nice addition to the team, taking on a role very similar to Dr. Strange in Infinity War. This is basically DCAU's version of Infinity War. It comes close to the level of some of my favorite DC animated movies like; The Dark Knight Returns pt.1+2 and The Flashpoint Paradox.

+

I really wish that the DC shared universe would go ahead and introduce Darkseid already.
They heavily hinted his arrival in batman v supes and that was 2016, so I agree it's about time.

The trick is not minding
They heavily hinted his arrival in batman v supes and that was 2016, so I agree it's about time.
I’d like to see how the next few films will tie into together. Desthstroke was introduced at the end of Justice League meeting Luthor where they discussed the prospects of creating their team.
Then nothing....that was, what? 3 years ago?

yup, and The Batman expected 2021 with Colin Farrell / Robert Pattinson seems to be going more the Joker route so I doubt he'll make an appearance there.

The trick is not minding
Colin Farrell/Penguin, Paul Dano/The Riddler, Zoë Kravitz/Catwoman.
Yeah, but I mean will he appear at the end credits as before at least to maybe recruit some of them for Luthor?
Too many dangling threads

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
WARNING: "All is Lost ending" spoilers below
Love it because there are two ways to look at it;
1- he died/drowned then 'the hand of god' took him out of the water.
2- he gave up waiting to drown then a rescuers hand took him out of the water.
It's a 'make your own conclusion' ending, and it worked here.

WARNING: "SPOILERS about the "All is Lost" ending!!!" spoilers below
I loved it too, but I can't decide which way I lean. Sometimes I think he died, but then when I start thinking about it, I start to wonder, (or maybe hope), that he lived.

Eight Men Out 1988 Directed by John Sayles

1h 59min | Drama | History | Sport
Writer: Eliot Asinof
Stars: John Cusack, David Strathairn, Christopher Lloyd, Charlie Sheen, Clifton James, Jace Alexander, D. B. Sweeney

Sports drama about the Chicago White Sox and the complicated events that lead up to the ‘Black Sox scandal’ during the 1919 World Series.

The film goes into the motivations of players who were playing for less than they felt they deserved. Perfect targets for game fixers. One of them "Shoeless" Joe Jackson who many feel should be in the BB Hall of Fame. Eight Men Out is not just a great baseball film, the main theme is something that affects all sports, human integrity under pressure and temptation.

The Last Dance 2020 Directed by Jason Hehir

TV | Documentary | Biography | History | Sports
Stars: Michael Jordan, Phil Jackson, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Steve Kerr

Ten part documentary about one of the greatest sports figures and of the greatest sports dynasties of all time Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls.

I can be pretty short with this write-up. If you enjoy sports or winning in general this is a must see.

+

The Enemy Below 1957 Directed by Dick Powell

1h 38min | Action | Adventure | Drama | War
Writers: Wendell Mayes, D.A. Rayner
Cast: Robert Mitchum, Curd Jürgens, David Hedison, Theodore Bikel, Russell Collins, Kurt Kreuger, Frank Albertson, Biff Elliot

Classic fifties WWII naval battle film in beautiful CinemaScope. An American destroyer vs a German U-Boat. In a gripping strategic and tactical battle between two captains played by Robert Mitchum and Curd Jürgens. Both with excellent performances. Very entertaining watch, earning a spot at #35 on my war top 100. Recommended if you're into the war genre.

-

Greyhound 2020 Aaron Schneider

1h 31min | Action | Drama | History
Writers: Tom Hanks, C.S. Forester
Cast: Tom Hanks, Elisabeth Shue, Stephen Graham

Tom Hanks vs a 'Wolfpack' of German submarines. Constantly well acted with good looking cgi naval battles but never great or memorable, except for maybe one standout aerial shot. The script features a lot of coordinates, maybe too much; "Right full rudder....left full rudder" x 10. Overall it's never bad or low quality, just forgettable.

-