The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I have seen both films, but only voted for Dawn of the Dead. I had it at 8, and it is my favorite horror movie. Brings me up to 5 films, and I expect to see a lot more of my movies showing up.

Seen 50/66

8. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
11. Mean Streets (1973)
13. Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
15. Mad Max (1979)
24. All the President’s Men (1976)

Dawn of the Dead was my #25, great film. I rewatched Carrie recently having not seen it since I was a kid and I wasn't overly impressed. Wouldn't have expected either of them to be this far up the list to be honest.

I don't actually remember much about either of these, i know i didn't dislike them but never thought they were anything special. My mum loves Carrie, if she had made a list it would've more than likely have been in her top three.

Seen - 39/66
My list - 7/25

10.The Jerk
12.Paper Moon
15.Five Easy Pieces
18.Manhattan
19.The Outlaw Josey Wales
20.Little Big Man
21.Mean Streets

I think Carrie is a masterpiece. One of the best movies of the 70s. The sixth best, to be exact

1. Will make it
2. Will make it
3. Will make it
4. Will make it
5. Will make it
6. Carrie
7. Will make it
8. Will make it
9. Will make it
10. Will make it
11. Will make it
12. The Tenant
13. Will make it
14. Will make it
15. Autumn Sonata
16. No chance
17. The Last Picture Show
18. Will probably make it
19. Badlands
20. The Wicker Man
21. Suspiria

22. No chance
23. Will make it
24. Mean Streets
25. Straw Dogs

I got two in a row again. That's twice now.

Carrie was my #8... Dawn Of The Dead was my #24.

2. Deliverance - 51st
7. The Deer Hunter - 38th
8. Carrie - 36th
14. Mad Max - 70th
16. The Wicker Man - 79th
17. Logan’s Run - 100th
24. Dawn Of The Dead - 35th
25. Assault On Precinct 13 - 80th

Wait a minute. Did McCabe & Mrs. Miller not make the list???

Anyway, Carrie is an exceptionally well made horror flick. De Palma's timing is perfect. Every thrill works and because of De Palma's intriguing directing (everyone who has seen some of his films, knows what I mean), the "gaps" between the thrills are also very interesting and captivating to watch.

The film didn't make my list, but I very much enjoyed it during my first viewing. I can definitely see why huge fans of the horror genre adore this film so much. It's a classic.

I've seen Carrie, but about all I can remember about it is "dirty pillows," pigs blood, and that I didn't like it. I've never seen Dawn of the Dead.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
5. Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

Miss Vicky, check out the last couple pages of my reviews thread. I've got all the Romero Dead films reviewed (or look at the Reviews section of course).

Yay for De Palma making the 70s list! It would feel incomplete without at least one of his films. And Carrie is my favorite of his 70s work at least now anyways and closely followed by Phantom of the Paradise and Sisters. Here is my list to appear thus far:

#8 Badlands
#9 F for Fake
#11 A Woman Under the Influence
#12 Five Easy Pieces
#13 Suspiria
#16 Walkabout
#17 Spirit of the Beehive
#18 Carrie
#22 Jeanne Dielman

I think I will have 5 more films from my list make this list, 6 at most.

I think Carrie is good, but not great it's to high. As for Dawn of the Dead I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen it.

Two great horror films that every artsy fartsy lover will think are way to high I'm sure.

Wait a minute. Did McCabe & Mrs. Miller not make the list???
It will.

I love Carrie. Told you it was a top 40 film. Not sure where all this hate is coming from all of a sudden, I was under the impression it's always been popular and besides, #36 isn't that high.

Guess I might as well jump on this bandwagon:

1. Sure thing
2. Picnic at Hanging Rock
3. Sure thing
4. Hausu
5. Nope
6. It better
7. Yep
9. Carrie
11. Top 10
12. No
13. Being There
14. Should show up
15. Nashville
16. American Graffiti
17. Top 10
18. Top 2
19. Walkabout
20. Yuuuup
21. Yep
22. A Woman Under the Influence
23. No chance
24. Top 10
25. Yes

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I really like both movies but they didn't make my list as I think there are better movies. I think Dawn of the Dead is the better of the two and I won't complain about it's placement but Carrie should be on the latter half of the list.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Carrie is a top notch De Palma. A
film.
Dawn of the Dead is alright, but it's surprising it got so far. A
flick.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I was wondering if Dawn of the Dead was going to make it after we got so high, but I'm happy with it being up there. It was my number 23.

My list:

8.The Wicker Man
12.The Warriors
14. Dawn of the Dead
18.The Omen
19.Deliverance
20.The Deer Hunter
24.Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Seen 41/65

I seen Carrie like a million years ago and all I remember is that I liked it at the time...And time takes its toll on horror films, like no other genre.

Modern horror movies have changed so much, that today's audiences expect their emotions to be ampted on high, burning a quart of adrenaline in the process...if not, then the movie failed.

Back in the day, Carrie wowed the audiences. But today's horror fans expect modern pacing, scene length, quick camera action, and so on...Carrie is not that type of film.

I'm glad to see it on the list.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Carrie was a film I went back to see often when it came out. De Palma used the Bernard Herrmannesque Pino Donaggio score to accentuate Mario Tosi's impressionistic photography. He was even into lots of giallo-inspired lighting effects and took his fetish for split-screen imagery to new heights. Sissy Spacek was heartbreaking as the abused Carrie and scary as her vengeful other side, but Piper Laurie really pulled out all the stops as her religious fanatic mother. That penultimate scene in Carrie's house has some of the most-memorable combinations of cinematography/music I've ever experienced, and that ending sure was a grabber. If it was all lavished upon a genre flick, be thankful for it.

Dawn of the Dead is my fave of the original trilogy, and I think it was the first film I went to a midnight screening of. It's been a long time since I've seen it though, so I think I should invite my brother to bring his DVD over to watch it. Because of that, I'm not sure what I can say about it except that it does have a slow build-up, but that was so Romero and Savini could cram in so many scares and gross-out moments into the second half. It was also pretty funny.

I didn't vote for either.