Star Trek (spoilers)

→ in
Tools    

"....to boldy go... where we've been before"

There's quite a few places i could start this review, the nature of the original, the mythos behind the films, the "re-imagining" and so on. But let's start with Star Trek- The Original Series. Essentially, Star Trek was a perpetuation of American ideology, the American Dream in space, contemporary cultural radicalism and so forth, featuring an array of stereotypes- black, Asian, Russian, alien, Scottish and American- all becoming part of a multi-cultural/planetary idealism. These days, Star Trek is embedded into us as an important aspect of culture but also as perhaps the pinnacle of nerd-dom. Now we've reached the "nerd" factor of Trek it's worth mentioning the mythos of the movie series, as Simon Pegg himself states in Spaced- the odd numbered Trek movies are always the bad ones, a rule which until has been arguably true.

Moving on, the film as i'm sure we all know, is not only a prequel but more a 're-imagining'. It takes all the characters of The Original Series, recasts and slightly adapts. It's an interesting take, considering part of the cult popularity of Star Trek is relating to Kirk's iconic portrayal by Shatner, down to his very speech pattern. Swapping him for a little known actor is probably the first hurdle of the film, considering the core audience of the film are some of the most biggest types of fan you can get. Luckily Pine doesn't attempt to directly emulate Shatner's mannerisms, rather capture the essence of the character, rather well. Sylar similarly does a good job with Spock, which i'm not sure whether or not to commend since he's characteristically stoic, either way it borders uncanny. Bones was probably the one that had me most worried, Karl Urban basically beats people up in the films i've seen in him so playing a disgruntled Doctor seemed like a big departure from that. His take on Bones is the closest to the original, uttering his catchphrase "my god man" maybe a few too many times. Harold (of Harold and Kumar) is also an interesting replacement coming from a comedic background and does the little he has to do well, despite my difficulty removing him from Harold. Uhura is perhaps the most changed character, with more to do than just be the token black on the bridge, now she's dating Spock. I'll quickly go to Simon Pegg who is perhaps most out of place in the film, especially considering his sentiments regarding the film mythos. He's a bit shaky, especially the accent but maybe because he's eating his words.

The film itself covers Kirk from his turbulent birth to (brief) rise through Star Fleet and encounters with those who go on to be under his eventual command. As the nature of prequels go, the focus is on the origins of characters and how they get to be in the places we are know them from. Every character gets their 3 minutes, maybe a bit too literally for some. On the whole it's one of the more successful prequels. However, it does suffer some of the inherent problems, the outcome will always be inivetable. Considering the plot contains time travel, a bit more focus could have put our heroes into some actual impending peril, unfortunately we never get an real sense of threat. The obligatory red shirt crops up and routinely dies but there's not any sense of tension driving the film. It's getting from point A to point B and more or less relies on the dynamics between Kirk and Spock; the resolution of which is a bit of a cop out that i won't spoil. The new character is villian Nero, who like in many origins stories is more a less a pop-up baddie just in it just enough to give the film some momentum. Bana hams it up well but there's not the chemistry you'd expect between charismatic Kirk and bad guy. Heck, there's not even a real confrontation. Again, there's no real emotion and considering how the story sets up personal involvement for both Kirk and Spock, there's little reward to it.

There are a nice amount nods to fans, i was pleasantly surprised at the extent they used Captain Pike (who was the Captain from the pilot before Shatner got the gig) and some other references- particularly nice to them using original costumes. The film has some fantastic effects and once you get past the weirdnes s of seeing familiar characters replaced with new faces, it's one of better Treks. It's just a shame the plot tries a bit too hard setting up these characters that it forgets to impose a real sense of threat onto them. Despite hesistations i came away pleased with what they'd done, whether it was necessary or not, it was a good way of distancing themselves from the somewhat stagnant name, whilst retaining a familiarity to itself. Problem is, the Trek brand will forever be tainted by it's associations with nerd-dom and as exciting and well used as the massive budget is, i think it's down to the marketting to draw in non-fans opposed to what's on screen as i doubt that will convert non fans. Even if JJ throws in the monster from Cloverfield and aliens who look like they belong on Star Wars. Personally i hope this is a stand alone prequel and they don't continue on, it was a novel exercise and good summer blockbuster but i can't wholly buy into the new actors playing old characters.

(Will check for typos and the many sentences i doubt make sense tmw)

I've never watched the series or the movies , so it sounds like the akwardness of seeing different actors in new roles should go right over my head. Thanks for the review !

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Nice review.

Another positive one, will be seeing this one.

Suspect's Reviews

Here's my review of Star Trek, which I saw yesterday.

Have lots of thoughts, mostly good, some bad. A little disappointed in Nero (the villain), and some missed opportunities to draw some interesting parallels. All in all, though, this flick had a really fine line to walk, and did it admirably. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but more than anything I'm excited about where it could go from here.

Star Trek

Though the absence of an emotionally compelling villain robs the film of some tension, it makes an investment early on in establishing space itself as a threat. The universe is effectively shown to be cold, vast, and merciless, and by the time we're aboard the Enterprise, it feels more like a deathtrap than a starship. ...READ MORE

A system of cells interlinked
Yes, both. Bummed neither of you were blown away, though...

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Perhaps, in space, it's easier to take things lightly.
Oh Yoda, you jokester.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

In the Beginning...
Yes, both. Bummed neither of you were blown away, though...
I'm not expecting to be blown away. I would imagine that for most people (non-fans, in particular), the expectation is pretty low, so that'll go a long way as long as the film is above decent, which it seems to be. I wouldn't say my expectations are low, because all the buzz has been good, and the production value looks top-notch. I just think Yoda's probably right on the money, and I'm not suprised by any of his conclusions.

Personally, I'm excited to hear what some older fans of the series think about the film. Star Trek has always been about a utopian society that used its intellect and ideals to overcome tough challenges. Sure, there are plenty of times in which the characters had to overcome themselves, but I wonder if older fans will think that bringing that utopia down a little bit and injecting a more flawed foundation into the characters undercuts Roddenberry's original vision.

I know I feel like, if it makes a better film with more believable characters, then make it so.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I always thought that Kirk was one of the most-flawed (read: human) characters in series TV. That's why we saw him get into so much trouble.

Well, Roddenberry has gone on record about the model he used for the character set, with Ego/Id split between Kirk and Spock...

Kirk wouldn't agree, though:

"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human." James T. Kirk - Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan

What did you guys think of that Capt. Kirk?

I think i'm gonna drop my rating down to 4 on retrospect, talked it over with someone else who saw it and i think the minor flaws, in the context of the whole film are quite damaging.

edit: Just read your review Yoda, taking some bits of it, you mention as a positive how all the characters had something to do, opposed to just being faces to tick some cultural boxes but to me it seemed they had one scene each in which to do something, to just tick an inclusion box to keep fans happy. Sulu with the swordplay, Chekov with the teleport, Scotty... with the teleport, Uhura was bit consistantly involved but Bones never really had much to do, shame since him, Spock and Kirk are the main characters- hoped to see him in the climax. I think it was Ebert's review who pretty much summarised my thoughts. Their input was mostly lazy attempts to write them in with something to do- of all the crew, Sulu- the pilot, was only one with "advanced hand to hand" and had a sword fight?? When they could have just teleported there in first place as well. Can't say i agree with you on their handling. Neither can i on your summary of the depth of themes and humanity being superior to the originals- they dealt far more with this than the new ones 'blow things up' solutions, there's never really any use of intellect (on a personal, not scientific level) to resolve conflict but that comes to the severely underwriten Nero. Spock's character dealt well with emotions/humanity etc but that was it. I loved the throwback of the Kobayashi Maru but never really feel it expanded on this by pushing any characters to their limits or actually putting them in a convincing 'no win scenario'

From what i remember. Anyway, nice review just hoping to spark up some discussion, that you'll win

Even though I am not a Trekkie, I have to admit the trailer makes me chuckle. It reminds me of a Madtv skit; Jerry Bruckheimer's Star Trek. What with the quick cuts, car chase and action sequences.

...uh the post is up there...

watched most of the star trek movies with my dad when i was a kid and also caught a few episodes back in the 80's. if you like star trek, this is a pretty good movie.

Pyo - They could have teleported where? You may need to go see it again. They couldn't have transported down to the drill, and they explained why...twice.

As for the no-win scenario, we already have two complete Trek films that deal specifically with that concept, in Star Trek II and III.

You ready? You look ready.
How do you boldly go where we've been before and still manage to give it 4 stars? That just doesn't seem very "logical" to me, as Spock might say. I'll need to throw a review up about this as I saw it twice yesterday. If that doesn't say much about what I thought of it...nothing will.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Well, Roddenberry has gone on record about the model he used for the character set, with Ego/Id split between Kirk and Spock...

Kirk wouldn't agree, though:

"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human." James T. Kirk - Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan
Aye, and Roddenberry wasn't really involved much with Khan after the disappointment of the first Trek flick. Kinda funny how Roddenberry seems to occasionally get in the way of his own success. The two most praised flicks in the series are among the ones he had the last hand in, and which seem to even contradict some of his base ideas about the characters.

I think there was a lot of creativity there, and a lot of potential, but sometimes I think Roddenberry's thoughts about secular (and, let's face it, borderline communistic) uptoias in the future were a little goofy, and that if he had his way some of these stories would be more about that than honest-to-goodness adventure.

Great post, Pyro. I do have some thoughts in response, naturally.

edit: Just read your review Yoda, taking some bits of it, you mention as a positive how all the characters had something to do, opposed to just being faces to tick some cultural boxes but to me it seemed they had one scene each in which to do something, to just tick an inclusion box to keep fans happy. Sulu with the swordplay, Chekov with the teleport, Scotty... with the teleport, Uhura was bit consistantly involved but Bones never really had much to do, shame since him, Spock and Kirk are the main characters- hoped to see him in the climax.
I guess it felt a bit like a checklist, but I also felt like their contributions were genuine. They did actual things, rather than press buttons. Bones was more involved in the first half than the second; he did, after all, sneak Kirk aboard.

I agree that there was some checklist-ism there (hey, I like that word...), but even so I think they were more their own people, as opposed to Sulu simply representing Asia, etc.

I think it was Ebert's review who pretty much summarised my thoughts. Their input was mostly lazy attempts to write them in with something to do- of all the crew, Sulu- the pilot, was only one with "advanced hand to hand" and had a sword fight?? When they could have just teleported there in first place as well.
It was a little hard to follow at that point, but it seemed like it was done to avoid detection until the last possible moment. There was also something about the drill blocking teleportation, which is why they couldn't beam anyone up until it'd been disabled, though I can't remember when that went into effect.

Can't say i agree with you on their handling. Neither can i on your summary of the depth of themes and humanity being superior to the originals- they dealt far more with this than the new ones 'blow things up' solutions, there's never really any use of intellect (on a personal, not scientific level) to resolve conflict but that comes to the severely underwriten Nero. Spock's character dealt well with emotions/humanity etc but that was it. I loved the throwback of the Kobayashi Maru but never really feel it expanded on this by pushing any characters to their limits or actually putting them in a convincing 'no win scenario'
I don't think the two conflict, though. There was probably less intellectual problem-solving here, but I think that's separate from the depth of humanity. I like the puzzle aspect of some of the older stuff, and I hope this series builds to that in future installments, but in terms of pure emotion, and the way characters react to one another, I found them far more three-dimensional in this installment than I have in most past ones.

Totally agree about the Kobayashi Maru; way too casual, and I really wanted Kirk to put up a better defense for himself when tried for it. I wanted him to make a surprisingly good case, whether he won or not. It's a pity, because I still think the Kobayashi Maru test is one of the cleverest conceptions in the entire Trek universe, and they didn't use it to its full potential here.

From what i remember. Anyway, nice review just hoping to spark up some discussion, that you'll win
Nah. There's no wrong answer to this stuff, and you make a good point about action over problem-solving. I do think the argument between Kirk and Spock about how to proceed was good, though, with Kirk making a case for unpredictably as strategy, and Spock suggesting that given the alternate timeline, it would make no difference.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im really looking forward to seeing this and I have heard great reviews from Trekys and Star Wars fans alike, from the trailers I have seen this looks a sweet film.