The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I didn't post yesterday because I didn't have anything to say about either Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada or Caché, as I'm only vaguely aware of their existence. The Man Who Wasn't There is similar, in that I've heard the title before, but have no idea what it's about.

Iron Man however was #10 on my list. The film was quite the gamble for Marvel at the time, but it was one that certainly paid off. Unlike some later MCU entries, it works really well as a standalone film, as audiences don't have to be familiar with the character or comics to enjoy it. Over a decade later, it's still one of the best comic book adaptations ever made.

Seen: 7/18

My List:
08. Mother (2009) - #96
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

I was going to type something about The Man Who Wasn't There, which I really like, but I'd rather share this video essay, which explores how existential the movie is. Don't watch it unless you've seen the movie, obviously.

Ok, I just edited the entry to reflect that. Most websites list only Joel, but that's probably because of the reasons I mentioned. I think it's a DGA thing?

Ok, I just edited the entry to reflect that. Most websites list only Joel, but that's probably because of the reasons I mentioned. I think it's a DGA thing?

I remember reading that the exception to the one director rule was something about "being an established duo" based on some criteria, which may or may not be more than just "directing a bunch of movies together."

Man Who Wasn’t There is an excellent film and often overlooked when discussing the Coens. From what I understand they both direct and produce but their earlier films they’d alternate credits, one taking Director and one taking Producer then switch the next movie. Though in the last five years or so I’ve seen duos share directing credits, including them so idk what changed with the DGA but I appreciate it.

Iron Man is still one of the best Marvel movies and Favreau deserves a ton of credit for fighting for Downey in the titular role and kickstarting the whole franchise.

The Coen Brothers had three titles make the previous list, but none of them was The Man Who Wasn't There. The original Iron Man that really kicked the MCU into the strosphere did make that list. Barely. It was #99 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've seen The Man Who Wasn't There once and remember liking it well enough, but I almost never feel the inclination to watch it (except maybe as part of a full Coens rewatch, which I may yet do at some point). Given its plot and themes, I suppose it is sort of appropriate that it seems like the most "forgettable" of their good films. I've watched Iron Man a few times over the years (most recently this year) and it holds up okay in spite of all the aspects that would be exacerbated by subsequent installments in the MCU (whether it's aggressive attempts at being charming or half-assed political commentary). Now I'm just wondering how much they're going to end up on the 2010s list.

Man Who Wasn’t There is an excellent film and often overlooked when discussing the Coens. From what I understand they both direct and produce but their earlier films they’d alternate credits, one taking Director and one taking Producer then switch the next movie. Though in the last five years or so I’ve seen duos share directing credits, including them so idk what changed with the DGA but I appreciate it.
Nope. Up until The Ladykillers, of all projects, Joel was always credited as the director, Ethan was always credited as the producer, and they always shared screenwriting credit. However from the very beginning both brothers always did all three jobs interchangably. There were no DGA rules against both receiving directorial credit, it was just the way they decided to do things. Until 2004. Joel and Ethan also serve as their own editor on fifteen of their eighteen features to date, under the pseudonym Roderick Jaynes.

Both are movies I really like.

Obviously I’m a huge fan of the Coens and the way they write and go about their characters. And the worlds they create always feels so… complete. No matter if they switch it up a bit they pretty much always nail the setting and mood. And this noir-thing works great for them too.

Iron Man started the whole MCU but I was a fan long before that. I didn’t see it at the cinema, but I rented it right when it was released. Thought it was a lot of fun and a great new imagining of the superhero genre. It’s not a huge personal favorite or anything, but it’s definitely a favorite in the midst of superhero movies. And I also think it’s enjoyable at a level higher than “just a superhero movie”. Great fun.

The Coen Brothers had three titles make the previous list, but none of them was The Man Who Wasn't There. The original Iron Man that really kicked the MCU into the strosphere did make that list. Barely. It was #99 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List.
It's interesting to see both doing better this time, then. That means they've stood the test of time.

I haven't seen The Man Who Wasn't There.

Iron Man is fine, I suppose. I really like the opening act where Stark is trapped in he cave, but after that sequence, I wasn't able to get back into the film. Tony Stark's character didn't interest me much in the early films due to his narcissism (I enjoyed his development later in the MCU though) and Pepper Potts was also fairly unmemorable. Also, the main villain, though anchored by some strong acting, was unmemorable (as are most of the MCU villains, in my opinion). I know it isn't from the 2000's, but my favorite MCU film is The Winter Soldier. It's the only Marvel film I've seen that's able to provide a compelling character dynamic that isn't lost in all the big action sequences.

Two four star films that didn’t make my list.

The Man Who Wasn’t There is a super fun movie that I forget the plot of ten minutes after I see it. Not unusual for a Noir for me. I will continue to rewatch as I do most everything Coen brothers.

Iron Man remains my favorite MCU movie and Stark my favorite MCU character. Probably the main reason I am still invested.

After really enjoying The Dark Knight, I thought I'd give another superhero movie a shot and figured Iron Man might be a good choice since I like Robert Downey Jr. and Jeff Bridges... I didn't like it at all and have mostly avoided superhero movies ever since.

I haven't seen The Man Who Wasn't There. I really dislike Billy Bob and have a pretty spotty history with the work of the Coens so I'm not really in a hurry to watch it.

Seen: 9/18

Nope. Up until The Ladykillers, of all projects, Joel was always credited as the director, Ethan was always credited as the producer, and they always shared screenwriting credit. However from the very beginning both brothers always did all three jobs interchangably. There were no DGA rules against both receiving directorial credit, it was just the way they decided to do things. Until 2004. Joel and Ethan also serve as their own editor on fifteen of their eighteen features to date, under the pseudonym Roderick Jaynes.
This was the threshold I was referring to earlier. Anyway, I already changed it to Joel & Ethan Coen, but I suppose it's no big deal in leaving it that way, even though Joel is the one credited.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Finally, I'm here.
#84. The Man Who Wasn't There (2001) is #14 in my list.
Very stylish, original and interesting movie, top level cast. As a whole, I can say a must see film. I thought, it has a Top 50 potential.

As for the Iron Man, I'm surprised how many people seen and even voted for it.
---

Seen 7/18.
My list #14. The Man Who Wasn't There [#84.]
(one pointers seen 3/38)

This is what I wrote about #84 slot:
The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)

In this distinctly Coen brothers movie nothing goes as it was planned or desired by anybody and for anybody. But there is no absurd, futility or despair, because we experience the events from the point of view of the man who wasn't there Ed (by Billy Bob Thornton). Where others lose everything and their senses, Ed conveys strange indifference, acceptance and almost contentment, even though he fares no better. The only other person that somewhat shares his attitude is Birdy played by young Scarlett Johansson. Tony Shalhoub as lawyer Freddy provides farcical hope to doomed clients, well at least until his own charade ends abruptly. Coen brothers demonstrate why they are among the best screen writers and directors with this unusual flick.
This is what I wrote about #83 slot:
Iron Man (2008)

Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) goes from weapons manufacturer to prisoner of war to Iron Man we know. The edge it has over other superhero movies is it's fusion with present day geopolitical environment. Such fusion crates the feeling we aren't in some parallel superhero universe, rather Iron Man is in our universe. Most of the first part of the movie Tony spends in a cave as a prisoner of war making him seem more human. Once Tony escapes his activities are followed by news media and military.
Iron Man (2008) was #17 on my ballot.

Oh interesting idk where I heard what I heard but I guess I was wrong then.

A system of cells interlinked
Sort of spaced out on The Man Who Wasn't There. I haven't seen it in ages, so I am definitely due for a re-watch. Iron Man is mid-tier MCU for me, but I like it quite a bit. Neither made my list.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Man Who Wasn't There is a beautifully-photographed (almost looks 3-D) Coen wacko with the usual surprises [oxymoron but not for them] but when the UFOs show up, you're on your own.
Iron Man is a great intro to modern-day MCU with Downey at his most charismatic, plenty of action and humor with an interesting take on the war in Afghanistan in the first part of the film.
No points.