The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Hurt Locker & Tora Tora Tora were on my list.
I love Pan Labyrinth but never really considered it for the list.

I didn't really care for Jojo Rabbit. Thought it was weakest of Taiki's movies.

#50 #50
93 points, 5 lists
Barry Lyndon
Director

Stanley Kubrick, 1975

Starring

Ryan O'Neal, Marisa Berenson, Patrick Magee, Hardy Krüger

#49 #49
93 points, 7 lists
The Guns of Navarone
Director

J. Lee Thompson, 1961

Starring

Gregory Peck, David Niven, Anthony Quinn, Stanley Baker

HINTS BREAKDOWN

50: Barry Lyndon is a "biopic" about a man's history, so I went with a fancy anime character who liked to tell stories about his life.

49: I posted fictional lands and countries because Navarone is fictional.

John Connor got #50 right, so one point.

I personally didn't have Barry Lyndon on my log as a war movie, so I didn't vote for it. If I did, it would've been 11th on my ballot. I think it's one of Kubrick's most creative and story-based movies.

The Guns of navarone was a fun one with a great cast and good storytelling, but I personally didn't vote for it because it still felt like a typical war movie.

Kubrick's Barry Lyndon was #16 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I love Barry Lyndon and I've seen it a couple of times. Here is a bit of what I wrote when I last rewatched it (Full Review):

Barry Lyndon (Ryan O'Neal) is, by all means, an insignificant person, that fights in insignificant skirmishes during the war, and gets involved in insignificant romances. His life history is bookended by insignificant duels for insignificant reasons, all while he aspires to achieve significance, to no avail.

This is the second time I watch this, and although I was a bit lukewarm on my first viewing, I ended up appreciating it a lot more this time. Present in it is Kubrick's perennial theme of dehumanization, as we see Lyndon dehumanized by his desire to climb the social ladder, which he briefly achieves, but to the expense of everyone around him.
However, I really don't consider it a war film. Other than the brief war moments in the first act, there really isn't much else to that effect, so it's not on my ballot.

The Guns of Navarone is one that I haven't seen in several years. I remember I liked it quite a bit, but it's a bit of a blur now.

Seen: 22/52

My ballot:  

An update to our countdown random factoids:

• The biggest point gap between films has been 4 points, between a couple of entries (Pan's Labyrinth/Master and Commander, Fires on the Plain/Hurt Locker, and Battle of Britain/War and Peace Part I/The Caine Mutiny)
  • There have been 14 ties so far, with three instances of four (4) films getting the same amount of points.
  • So far, the film that has been present in most ballots (9) has been Gone with the Wind.
  • There are 11 films in the countdown with a 100% RT Score, while Kingdom of Heaven still remains as the one with the lowest RT score (39%)
  • The Top 5 films as far as IMDb rating have been: Shoah (8.7), The Human Condition II (8.5), and Judgment at Nuremberg/War and Peace Part III (8.3)
  • The three films with the highest average (points / ballots) have been Napoleon, War and Peace Part IV, and War and Peace Part III, all of which averaging around 20 points (Top 5 placements)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Almost twenty years ago, I've rented Barry Lyndon on VHS, starting examination of Kubrick for the first time.
I like Ryan O'Neal since my school years (that were much earlier) nevertheless, for some reason, this film didn't catch me. I even remember been bored. It is probably time for revisit.
-----

So far I'm two of the 60's and two of the 00's.
Wars: 3x WWII and 1x modern conflict.

My Ballot

8. Ivan's Childhood (1962) [#56]
14. Enemy at the Gates (2001) [#88]
15. The Hill (1965) [#94]
18. The Hurt Locker (2008) [#58]

Ah, I have seen both of these movies. My Dad called Barry Lyndon, Borey Lyndon. But he loved the soundtrack so I grew up with the music of this film. I amnot a big fan of this film. But then Kubrick chill really puts me off.

The Guns of Navarrone is a good action movie and that is really what I consider it. It's fictional and suspenseful. Around then lots of action movies and action packed books were set in WWII. it was really a big genre of the time. But whatever! It doesn't seem to be doing anything besides make a good action movie.

Barry Lyndon is an excellent picture if a bit long.

Guns of Navarone is a fun time even if I don’t remember a lot about it.

I think Barry Lyndon is my favorite Kubrick, but I didn’t consider it for my list. I think I remember someone mentioning it one of the threads and I was like “oh yeah” and then I forgot.

Guns is another miss from me. Think that makes 9 I need to see.

The Guns of Navarone has an impressive cast and was an entertaining enough re-watch. Looks a bit dated and to be honest it can't really hang with the other 60's WWII Action flicks; Where Eagles Dare, Von Ryan’s Express and The Dirty Dozen, to name a few.

Barry Lyndon has solid performances, good looking cinematography and wardrobe. A bit on the slow side so not very re-watchable but good enough to make my list at #97.

My War Top 100:  

I thought posting this here was appropriate. Took a pic of my screen while watching The Glenn Miller Story, a movie with a military ending.

I got all distracted by how much I don't like Barry Lyndon and forgot to say that I watched Guns of Navarone semi-recently and quite liked it.

My thoughts about it are here.

Barry Lyndon didn't show up on my ballot since it wasn't tagged as war on IMDb (the main site I was using to create my list), but it probably would've made my list if I came across it. Here's what I wrote on the film a while back:

Barry Lyndon (1975) -

WARNING: spoilers below
I was surprised by how much I loved this film. I know it's a Kubrick film, but since I'm not a fan of historical dramas and given that Barry Lyndon is a middle child between four Kubrick films which are more well-known (2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket), I was wondering if this would be one of his weaker films. But nope, Kubrick blew me away once again.

A major theme of this film is the death of existentialism. Barry's attempts to use his wit and skills to secure a good outcome outside of the system make him an existentialist. These efforts are constantly undermined though. For example, though it initially seems like he kills John Quin in a duel, it's later learned that Quin didn't die and that the duel was a ruse to get rid of him. Also, his efforts of escaping to Dublin are undermined by being robbed. In addition, his plan to join the Seven Years' War to get a pension that will enable him to return home are undermined by his friend dying and, of course, never receiving the pension. Finally, his efforts of deserting the war are undermined by him being drafted into the Prussian Army. Since Barry was unable to change his fate and avoid becoming part of the system, his existentialist ideals fell flat.

The latter parts of the first half are where Barry loses his existentialist ideals and becomes part of the system he attempted to avoid. Saving a Prussian soldier's life in the Seven Years' War is his first turning point. While he initially attempted to create a good outcome for himself by operating outside of the system (again, with no luck), he's now operating from inside the system and doing what those above him would want him to do. Except, he isn't quite ready to be a part of the system. Though he's operating from inside it now, he's yet to master the act of deception. While many people in the film deceived Barry up to this point, he's yet to do the same as Prussian Captain Potzdorf caught on to his last attempt. Eventually though, Barry and Chevalier successfully deceive the Prussians by escaping the country. Marrying Lady Lyndon serves as the final nail in the coffin to his existentialism, causing him to be a member of the system. He's now a deceiver who marries for class and uses violence to settle disputes, just like those around him. He wasn't able to escape this fate.

Now is a good time to mention the cinematography. Most shots in the film are constructed to look like paintings, largely due to the abundance of wide angle shots and how the film was shot only in natural light. While this style is visually outstanding, it also adds to the film's themes. Of course, paintings never move regardless of how long or how many times you view them. They will always tell the same story. I think this aesthetic shows how Barry's story is neither special nor unique. Rather, the character traits we see of him are part of a pattern. Many other people had, have, and will have the same fate as Barry. For instance, though little is known about Barry's father, the first shot shows that he also used violence to settle disputes. In fact, a common camera movement in the film shows a close-up of Barry, only to pull back and reveal more and more of the setting he occupies. These shots show that Barry is less important to these frames than the scenery surrounding him is.

The second half expands upon this generational pattern by detailing how Bullington becomes a faceless member of the system, just as Barry, Barry's father, and everyone else around them did. Much like Barry uses violence to solve conflicts with Bullington in the second half, Bullington uses violence to solve his own conflicts later on. Bullington also upholds the same existentialist ideals Barry had in the early stretches of the film, shown by how Bullington constantly defies Barry with the belief he can save his mother from him or how he later leaves the family estate. Like Barry though, Bullington's efforts are undermined. Defying Barry doesn't save his mother: it only results in him getting beaten. Leaving the family estate doesn't allow for him to operate outside the system: he later returns to the estate. Given this, Barry and Bullington are one and the same as they both end up operating inside the system, despite their efforts to avoid it. Just like a character in a painting, they have no free will and will always live in the same scene.

In conclusion, this is another impressive addition to Kubrick's large body of films. I'm not sure where I'd rank it amongst his other films, but it's definitely a great film. If you haven't seen this film yet, I highly recommend doing so.
I haven't seen The Guns of Navarone.

I like Barry Lyndon a good amount but it still would have been cut from my ballot had I viewed it as a war film.

I've seen one of the Navarone films. Not sure which but I suspect it's the other one since I didn't like it.

I haven't seen either of today's movies. Despite my general dislike for all things Kubrick, I was interested in seeing Barry Lyndon and had intended to watch it for this countdown. Then I saw the runtime and changed my mind. Maybe some day I'll watch it, but probably not.

Reply to Topic