Spider-Man 3

→ in
Tools    

In the Beginning...
***SPOILERS AHEAD! Be advised***

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Well, there's more bad things than good things but the film was enjoyable and i do think it's being penalised with too much bias from hype and the previous two. And the cheese was fun, maybe people didn't want to see it in the film but it didn't destroy the film, maybe the franchise and the tone though.
I just feel like the first film took Spider-Man and translated it into real terms we could all understand while still remaining a fun, action-packed, dramatic fantasy. And it seems like Raimi has turned that into his formula, and compounded it with his own goofy filmmaking style (which does not fit), to the point where what we're being fed are archetypes and Hollywood gloss. Ironic that this is somewhat the way I've felt about the evolution of Marvel Comics in recent years.

Basically, you've got the writers taking the characters and re-hashing whatever they feel has become their nitch. Aunt May is there to cry about Uncle Ben and shower Peter with inspiration when he needs it most. Peter isn't there for Mary Jane, so there's tension, until something climactic happens, and they're back in each other's arms. Yawn.

Not only that, but old angles go the way of cliches, while new and refreshing angles are introduced but not developed, which pushes them into cliche. Examples:
  • Mary Jane and Peter being the hit-or-miss couple. We know this already, and we know why. Who wants to see more of it? Which is why introducing Gwen Stacy was interesting - I would have loved to see her and Peter romance each other for a whole film, just because it's new - but nooooo... in the end, she's nothing but a crutch to facilitate the Peter/Mary Jane angle, and we all know where it's going.
  • The Sandman's story actually had a bit of promise and sincerity (if a little overacting from his wife/girlfriend/whatever she was), which made me think this is where Raimi really wanted to go. But even the touching first scenes and the beautiful scene of him getting up out of the sand get lost in the jumble, and he degenerates into a less-than-noteworthy thug for hire. The "touching" bit at the end rang hollow and contrived because the film had already lost me on it.

As for "emotion" and "sentimentality," these films like to pretend that they've delved deeply into the human heart when they really haven't. Uncle Ben died, and Peter Parker cried a bit, and Ben's death has alot to do with the genesis of Spider-Man. We got that in the first film. Dwelling on that emotion, seeing these characters cry and show emotion over it when it never really went very deep to begin with, is to me an obvious case of smoke-and-mirrors writing. You can't trick the audience into feeling what isn't there.

The fact that the plot was all over the place notwithstanding, it was at its core completely and overtly predictable. I'm not talking about the fact that all these personalities are going to clash at the end... that one's easy. What I'm talking about is the whole "you have to put your wife before yourself" thing, and all the little obvious ways Peter Parker doesn't do that with Mary Jane, until of course - and you're waiting for it - he realizes he's been wrong. Admirable, maybe... but he's done this in two films already. You'd think this guy could grow in other ways. Nobody likes to be led by the hand. (And as an aside, the fact that Spider-Man kisses another woman onstage when Peter knows for certain Mary Jane will be watching... getting caught up in the glamour or not, I refuse to believe that Peter Parker would be that stupid.)

Finally, I don't know whose idea it was to throw Venom into this film, but shame on them. Like Sabretooth in the X-films, what a great opportunity squandered. While Topher Grace managed to inject a bit of charm, the role was paper-thin, and obviously thrown in to appease fans. Sometimes that's appropriate, like throwing Bruce Campbell in because he always gets laughs. But you don't just "throw in" Venom and pretend you're doing Spider-Man justice. It's like throwing the Joker into a Batman film: everything the source material is built on suddenly becomes a fleeting attraction? With poor special effects and no consideration for the character? Lame.

You know, I can't help but think that most people who went to see Spiderman 3 last night went to see the symbiote and Venom in action. Superficial perhaps, but that was the draw. Had Venom never been attached to the film, it might have stayed face. But an already broken film feels shattered now, and I can't help but think that the credibility of the crew has diminished greatly. I can't say I'm excited at the news of three more Spider-Man films.

I'm trying to lock onto the good it had going for it, but that good just can't be spread far enough over the bad to cover it, unfortunately. I feel more resentment that the makings of a good film were wasted, as well as close to $500 million in development and promotion. I mean, why leech off a demographic if you're not even going to do it right, and spend half a billion dollars doing it, which could very well have gone to saving starved children somewhere.

However, I hardly see it making enough money to cover it's expenses.
I'm certainly not going to see it again.

Excellent assessemnt there Sleezy, hits the points i thought more accurately than my post, if maybe too critical in my opinion. As easy to put down on the points you have, which i agree with, purely as film i did still enjoy it. Maybe it's loyalty to Raimi but i would see it again just because the bits they almost got right were good to watch, and the sentiments and awful dialogue is something i expected therefore tried, possibly subconsioucly, to ignore.

Things I liked about it:

* 2 and a half hours of Tobey Maguire
* James Franco
* Kirsten Dunst (but not in the same way as Tobey & James)
* How bizarre, yet cool Bryce Dallas Howard looks blonde

Things I Didn't Like:

* Any scene with Aunt May in it
* The final battle... especially because Sandman looked all fake, bloated and disgusting, unlike hard, chiseled Thomas Hayden Church
* Bernard (or Bernid, as they pronounced it) the butler
* Too many villians (Sandman, Symbiote, Harry, Venom)
* Dull storyline with Peter and Mary Jane
WARNING: "Spiderman 3" spoilers below
The fact that a major hot character dies and we have to watch as a living, breathing Aunt May puts a rose on his coffin...

* Tobey Maguire has a shower scene, yet all we see is his head and shoulders

I'll be brief. As a fan of the two previous movies of the Spiderman series, I can safely say that I was disappointed. The movie dragged and left me feeling like I sat through a very long movie for very little reward. Although they did do a fantastic job with the visual effects (sometimes it was hard to decide whether it was CGI or not) that’s about all the movie has going for it. Maybe it was that I had high expectations (because venom has always been one of my favorite characters) but I think that they need to take advantage of the fact that this was a blockbuster film and quit while they're ahead. (unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be the case as Kirstin Dunst has publicly stated that she will not be involved in the making of Spiderman 4...implying that there is at least talk that there will be a fourth one....god help us.)

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Call me crazy, but I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the way they portray Spiderman as a "conflicted" hero. Sure there are bad things about the film, but that's to be expected. (Aunt May is terrible, and always has been)

I hardly think Venom is dead and buried. Hell, it's Venom. I disagree with the way they introduced him, but I think the 4th movie will be mainly about him. (think about it, the Uncle Ben and Harry storylines are finally over with). Expect a harder, crazier Venom in the 4th one that won't expose Brock's face every 10 seconds.

All in all, I think this movie's problem is that it set such high standards for itself with the first two. This is still a very good movie.

"I am."

Not sure how reliable this link is but apparently Spiderman 4,5 and 6 are confirmed ventures? http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5536

i hope they make a 4,5 and 6!!

Not sure how reliable this link is but apparently Spiderman 4,5 and 6 are confirmed ventures? http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5536
I'd love to see the Rhino get thrown in there somewhere.

In the Beginning...
Sure there are bad things about the film, but that's to be expected.
I wasn't expecting perfection, but this film suffered from more than a few serious problems in the areas of plot, pacing, editing, acting, and on and on. And for $260 million spent on production alone, that's inexcusable.

Originally Posted by Royhobbs
I hardly think Venom is dead and buried. Hell, it's Venom. I disagree with the way they introduced him, but I think the 4th movie will be mainly about him. (think about it, the Uncle Ben and Harry storylines are finally over with). Expect a harder, crazier Venom in the 4th one that won't expose Brock's face every 10 seconds.
I'd just rather they be done with the series and not bother with it at all. They've shown that they're not taking Spider-Man seriously anymore, and are just trying to cash in. That's what happens when these kinds of films get too popular: the desire to translate well is lost, and the studios begin to look at them as the unfortunate work which needs to be done to make bank.

Originally Posted by Royhobbs
All in all, I think this movie's problem is that it set such high standards for itself with the first two.
If Sam Raimi or Sony Pictures set any standards at all, it doesn't show. I still think it just became a hype machine from day one, and the actual film itself took a backseat to promotion, marketing, product placement, and all that other crap.

Well, my review's up:

Spider-Man 3

The construction of a film is surely a delicate thing, but it must pale in comparison to the construction of a trilogy. Filmmakers cannot be too careful when creating a series of films. They cannot allow for too much peril in the first two installments, lest the third feel anti-climactic. They need the introduction and continuation of the story to be exciting, but not too exciting, or they risk undermining the conclusion.

Director Sam Raimi -- whose first two entries into the Spider-Man series are surely among the better superhero films ever made -- walked that cinematic tightrope wonderfully for two films, but in the midst of ramping up the action, ultimately failed to give Spider-Man 3 the emotional resonance of its predecessors.

The film opens, unlike the first two, on a happy note. Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire) is loved by the media and the city and Peter is loved by Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst). Things are going so well, in fact, that he's considering proposing to her, and is given the key to the city in the midst of it all.

Naturally, the movie shatters this peaceful scene with the heavily foreshadowed reemergence of Harry Osborne (James Franco). He's still sore about that whole Spider-Man-killing-his-father thing, and has discovered his old man's wonderful little toys (and gotten awfully handy with them, too). This is one of a half-dozen instances in which the film lulls the viewer into a false sense of security, and then tries to jar them with some sudden attack.

The jarring effect isn't limited to action, though: Spider-Man 3 turns a few of the first film's events on their head, as well, in an attempt to bring Spidey's journey of self-discovery full-circle. Flint Marko (the "Sandman", played by Thomas Haden Church and thousands of tiny CGI pebbles) figures heavily into all this, and while it feels a little cheap, it's somewhat fitting that a comic book movie engage in a little retcon.

The revelation involving Marko would probably work if the rest of the movie felt like a conclusion, rather than another middle-film. As is, however, it feels tacked on.

As if all this weren't enough, Peter is pestered by an alien life form that falls from space and attaches itself to him, amplifying his aggression and arrogance. The result are a few odd sequences where the film nearly becomes a parody of itself, as Parker pulls a sheet of hair over his eyes and starts disco dancing in the streets. This lighthearted tone worked better for the first two films, but everything (and everyone) is in peril here, and it's hard to believe that an alien life form which multiplies aggression would cause you to want to swing dance.

There's plenty of interpersonal drama, of course -- mainly between Peter, Harry, and Mary Jane -- to the point at which the whole thing starts to feel like a bad soap opera. Still, this part of the film largely works because it utilizes the characters that we've been following since the beginning. All of these performances are passable, but Franco's performance as Harry is easily the most nuanced and interesting of the three. I'd be remiss if I didn't also find space to mention Bruce Campbell's predictably scene-stealing turn as a French waiter, which is nearly worth the price of admission.

Also effective is the brilliant realization of Venom, the name of the alien life force when bonded to new chracter Eddie Brock Jr. (Topher Grace). Though his climactic fight with Spider-Man is a little underwhelming, he's wonderfully creepy and plenty intimidating. Even this highlight, however, suffers from the Darth Maul Effect: our enjoyment from watching him is offset by his all-too-short screentime. One wonders what could have been done if Venom had an entire film to himself to square off with Spidey.

The only genuinely satisfying conclusion the film offers us involves Harry, who ends up with the most compelling, believable arc in the trilogy. Save for an odd turn around the middle of the film, his storyline is the most elegant.

I have no delusions about this review; if you haven't seen Spider-Man 3 already, you almost surely will. And I would certainly recommend that you do. There is plenty to see here, and you certainly don't want to be one of the 46 people in the world who haven't seen it. Spider-Man 3 is not a bad film, just an underwhelming one. And, given his past success with these characters, one can only hope that this minor letdown inspires Raimi to stay with the franichse, and try again.

A system of cells interlinked
I didn't hate it. I went in expecting pure trash. Nothing with a girl as cute as Gwen is trash, IMO.

I might be alone on this one, but it seems to me that EVERY SINGLE problem with Spiderman 3 can be traced directly back to Sam Raimi.

I mean, by the end it just felt like a lunatic B-movie piece of garbage. Raimi made it his own, which is the difference between the first movie and this one. The first movie actually felt like Spiderman. The other two felt like Raimi.

For shame.

I might be alone on this one, but it seems to me that EVERY SINGLE problem with Spiderman 3 can be traced directly back to Sam Raimi.

I mean, by the end it just felt like a lunatic B-movie piece of garbage. Raimi made it his own, which is the difference between the first movie and this one. The first movie actually felt like Spiderman. The other two felt like Raimi.

For shame.
Yeh, i liked that it felt like a Raimi film and i love Raimi. Suprised you didn't see that coming with Campbell, Ted and even his brother helped write it i think?

Originally Posted by Yoda
Spider-Man 3

The construction of a film is surely a delicate thing, but it must pale in comparison to the construction of a trilogy. Filmmakers cannot be too careful when creating a series of films. They cannot allow for too much peril in the first two installments, lest the third feel anti-climactic. They need the introduction and continuation of the story to be exciting, but not too exciting, or they risk undermining the conclusion.

Director Sam Raimi -- whose first two entries into the Spider-Man series are surely among the better superhero films ever made -- walked that cinematic tightrope wonderfully for two films, but in the midst of ramping up the action, ultimately failed to give Spider-Man 3 the emotional resonance of its predecessors.

The film opens, unlike the first two, on a happy note. Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire) is loved by the media and the city and Peter is loved by Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst). Things are going so well, in fact, that he's considering proposing to her, and is given the key to the city in the midst of it all.

Naturally, the movie shatters this peaceful scene with the heavily foreshadowed reemergence of Harry Osborne (James Franco). He's still sore about that whole Spider-Man-killing-his-father thing, and has discovered his old man's wonderful little toys (and gotten awfully handy with them, too). This is one of a half-dozen instances in which the film lulls the viewer into a false sense of security, and then tries to jar them with some sudden attack.

The jarring effect isn't limited to action, though: Spider-Man 3 turns a few of the first film's events on their head, as well, in an attempt to bring Spidey's journey of self-discovery full-circle. Flint Marko (the "Sandman", played by Thomas Haden Church and thousands of tiny CGI pebbles) figures heavily into all this, and while it feels a little cheap, it's somewhat fitting that a comic book movie engage in a little retcon.

The revelation involving Marko would probably work if the rest of the movie felt like a conclusion, rather than another middle-film. As is, however, it feels tacked on.

As if all this weren't enough, Peter is pestered by an alien life form that falls from space and attaches itself to him, amplifying his aggression and arrogance. The result are a few odd sequences where the film nearly becomes a parody of itself, as Parker pulls a sheet of hair over his eyes and starts disco dancing in the streets. This lighthearted tone worked better for the first two films, but everything (and everyone) is in peril here, and it's hard to believe that an alien life form which multiplies aggression would cause you to want to swing dance.

There's plenty of interpersonal drama, of course -- mainly between Peter, Harry, and Mary Jane -- to the point at which the whole thing starts to feel like a bad soap opera. Still, this part of the film largely works because it utilizes the characters that we've been following since the beginning. All of these performances are passable, but Franco's performance as Harry is easily the most nuanced and interesting of the three. I'd be remiss if I didn't also find space to mention Bruce Campbell's predictably scene-stealing turn as a French waiter, which is nearly worth the price of admission.

Also effective is the brilliant realization of Venom, the name of the alien life force when bonded to new chracter Eddie Brock Jr. (Topher Grace). Though his climactic fight with Spider-Man is a little underwhelming, he's wonderfully creepy and plenty intimidating. Even this highlight, however, suffers from the Darth Maul Effect: our enjoyment from watching him is offset by his all-too-short screentime. One wonders what could have been done if Venom had an entire film to himself to square off with Spidey.

The only genuinely satisfying conclusion the film offers us involves Harry, who ends up with the most compelling, believable arc in the trilogy. Save for an odd turn around the middle of the film, his storyline is the most elegant.

I have no delusions about this review; if you haven't seen Spider-Man 3 already, you almost surely will. And I would certainly recommend that you do. There is plenty to see here, and you certainly don't want to be one of the 46 people in the world who haven't seen it. Spider-Man 3 is not a bad film, just an underwhelming one. And, given his past success with these characters, one can only hope that this minor letdown inspires Raimi to stay with the franichse, and try again.
Well well....Chris, you seem to almost seem to be the only one here who actually feels the way I do. I loved the film. Though there are only a couple minor flaws to it. I will be writing my FULL review tonight and posting soon after!!!!!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Well, you can really BLAME Raimi for the quality of this film. Considering the producers behind this film demanded he put in Venom, which ultimately added on more screen time for a pointless character and less screen time for the ones that matter.

Should have had it end as a cliffhanger, with Venom emerging at the end. But then the fans would still be pissed that he didn't make an appearance.

Suspect's Reviews

In the Beginning...
Well, you can really BLAME Raimi for the quality of this film. Considering the producers behind this film demanded he put in Venom, which ultimately added on more screen time for a pointless character and less screen time for the ones that matter.
I'm not sure it was a matter of screen time, though. Venom was a pointless edition, I'll agree, but the writers also penned these characters right into the ground. I didn't feel like there was any freshness, aside from Parker's 'bad side', which was forced and handled poorly. I did actually like Harry Osbourne's brief amnesiatic state: he wasn't trying to force lines like "Spider-Man will pay" and actually fell into a persona that felt natural to him. I was actually rooting for him instead of Parker. What kind of Spider-Man film is that?

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Should have had it end as a cliffhanger, with Venom emerging at the end. But then the fans would still be pissed that he didn't make an appearance.
They might have been disappointed, considering the hype. But I'm not sure they'd be nearly as upset as they are now. I mean, I'm no big fan of Spider-Man by any means, but I recognize the importance of and affection people have for Venom, and to have him thrown in and glitzed over was just a slap in the face... particularly when you consider the dripping hype steak Sony has been dangling over the Internet community for over a year now.

I just don't like when someone shows me glitter and expects me to believe it's gold.

Well considering how many villains spider man actually faces in the comics, to actually fit as many of them they can in a single movie isn't a bad idea to please the fan club demographic in theory. As we saw in practice, it was quite too much for some (I personally didn't mind as it was pure entertainment for those with ostensibly short attention spans like me). I'm assuming higher governance is the blame for the flaws of this movie.

Spider-Man 3 was a little luckluster at times, yes, mainly due to romantic overdoses. The action scenes, although few compared to previous movies, still "hit 'em where it hurts". Venom was portrayed mediocre with Spider-Man, but in its own entity, awesome. The Sandman, with the back story and Uncle Ben, provided that extra variable that most movies of this nature need. The addition of Harry Osbourne coming into his own provided that "friend or foe" part, and his death was too much of a coincidence compared to his father's. Overall, Spider-Man 3 provided some good quality fight scenes, along with enough snags and twists to last a saga. The possible additions of Spider-Man 4-6 would still bring out more box office records, despite this slightly better-than-average movie performance.

I think you put it best, Sleezy, this film just had too much material to cover in the two hours. I am no Spider-Man superfan or anything, either, but this film, with so high of a budget was able to overrate itself, but still get good box office ratings due to its predecessors.