Drag Me To Hell

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I know everyone is going to say "Exorcist", but im of a younger generation and that movie is just a joke to me.
That just means you have really bad taste in film, not that the film is bad. Sorry, but that film is well made, personal, and a seminal classic.

As for your reason why you dislike it, which you claim is your age, I know plenty of people who are 15-17 years old right now that love that film, so that just doesn't wash 'round here...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've known some people who wouldn't watch it. Usually it was because their family said, "No way!" Others were afraid of what they saw as subliminal imagery. The movie presents a real enemy to mankind. Now, whether that enemy is Man himself or something otherworldly is presented as open to interpretation. Obviously, the priests know that they are dealing with Evil, and they believe it to be a concrete Spiritual Evil. Yes, that includes Father Karras who had lost his faith, barely ever had any, but saw something he couldn't explain based on rational, psychiatric explanations. Anyway, The Exorcist is a deep, profound movie, and if you look at it from only one perspective, you're missing the entire human experience, and if you're human, how could you do that?

And spew vomit... Can't forget that.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
I loved it, i went back and saw it again the next day because i can get in free now (i got hired at a theater!)

I personally liked how innocent the main character is and how much crap was spewed into her mouth. Sometimes you just need to accept and revel in the evil that is being done to the main character and with the humor involved it makes that much easier to do. Man i sounded like such a cold-hearted bitch =\ Like Sleezy said, i would be one of those people who have a huge 'stomach' for horror movies, i love them, all kinds, shapes and sizes.

And i didn't think that Justin Long was a random choice for this as he too was returning to his horror roots from Jeepers Creepers and Jeepers Creepers II

I thought Justin Long was excellent, especially during the last part.

WARNING: "blahblahblah" spoilers below
The shot was Chris being dragged to hell was shocking, but Long's facial expression was what really got beneath my skin. You could really feel the pain he must have been feeling right at that moment. Perfectly done.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
^^^ i agree completely with the above post. That shot was awesome and it will 'haunt' the viewers joyously as they're trying to sleep at night

Movie Forums Extra
I wasn't planning on watching another Horror/Thriller for a while, since I just watched Last House on the Left. Since you guys rave about this one I might need to check it out sooner than I had anticipated.

Welcome to the human race...
That just means you have really bad taste in film, not that the film is bad. Sorry, but that film is well made, personal, and a seminal classic.

As for your reason why you dislike it, which you claim is your age, I know plenty of people who are 15-17 years old right now that love that film, so that just doesn't wash 'round here...
Damn kids just don't have any respect anymore.

Also, I'm rather annoyed that this still doesn't have an Australian release date.

I'd ask how many people find horror films scary? I don't think I'm alone in liking horror films, but not being scared at all by them, am I? I can only think of one horror film that's ever scared me and that was The Entity, which I saw when I was about 9 and it wasn't the first horror film I'd seen either. Not by a long shot.
I don't know of the actual number, but I think almost all casual viewers still find them scary, and I think veterans of the genre can from time to time. Or, at least, feel a twinge of unease that is probably as close to fear as they can get from a film after taking in so many of them.

Either way, I think it's simultaneously reasonable for someone to enjoy a horror film without being scared, and to criticize it for failing to scare. It is, after all, still trying to frighten people at many points, so whether or not it succeeds seems a fair point to raise.

With The Exorcist was more trying to go for Regan and all the perverse stuff she does. Can't be nice doing that with a crucifix for the little girl inside. In the eyes of the gypsy, Christine was getting justice and it's was overblown and excessive in it's nature. Much the like the entire film. Just because the action-reaction set-up isn't 'just' think that not only fits the tone of the film but is also mostly irrelevant. Halloween?
Well, we're talking about a matter of degree. Obviously The Exorcist is kind of messed up, but it's not so much the events as the way the movie responds to them. In The Exorcist, it shows you awful things and everyone agrees that it's awful. In Drag Me to Hell, we're apparently supposed to think it's a hoot. This is kind of what I mean by the film feeling "unjust." It's one thing to screw with your characters, but it's different to take glee in it. The Exorcist is serious, knows it's disturbing, and must be in order to seriously deal with its subject matter. Drag Me to Hell is disturbing in a more arbitrary way, I think.

Naturally, you can stamp a big "IMO" on the above paragraph. I don't necessarily expect it to change anyone's mind.

I wouldn't say they tried to make it seem like she deserved it, i mean her daughter's reaction would be rather natural.

WARNING: "Drag Me To Hell" spoilers below
And the her confession at the end was just to lull us into a false sense of security to make us think she'd found redemption before destroying her. We think she's beaten the curse, lesson learnt and can move on and grow. After making us enjoy what's happening to her all film, at least to a point in Raimi's intention, it makes a far more shocking finale to actually have her show a bit of remorse and then get punished
WARNING: "Drag Me to Hell" spoilers below
I get that they might just have been trying to lull us to sleep a little, but I think it's pretty muddled. It felt like a justification to me, and I've actually heard a surprising number of people reacting similarly. Apparently the kitten thing seems to have convinced many people that she had it coming, if you can believe that.

Anyway, there are certainly lots of reasons for that moment to exist, but given that she's ultimately punished, and we're clearly supposed to revel in it to some degree, I think there's a hint of "maybe she deserved it." This lines up pretty nicely with the whole "death to bankers" subtext (or is it simplistic enough to just be text?) that a lot of people have mentioned.

Ok, our definition on brutal differ. Brutal i refer to something like The Hills Have Eyes with people getting raped and faces smashed in. Some serious names were taken there. I wouldn't say it was depraved, the final is pretty shocking and a change from the type of scares we had before but not depraved, i mean if that happens in any film there's going to be a similar reaction.
Yeah, we're probably using the word a little differently, though it's funny you should mention The Hills Have Eyes, because I have the exact same sort of scorn for that film as I do for this one.

Like I said, though, the whole hell thing has an extra finality to it that most horror deaths -- no matter how miserable -- can't really match.

WARNING: "Drag Me To Hell" spoilers below
Just because we've come to like Christine doesn't change what Clay's reaction would be that of upset, it's like any character dying in a film. I think the fact it got to you like that means it worked. I don't see her dying as any different to any other likeable character dying. Just because the nature of punishment is a little extreme we're not given any actual information of where she's being dragged to so i think it's irrelevant. I mean, she could be going to hell for having sex before marriage anyway. Thought the end was quite shocking and that's one of the primary functions of horror, if it had that effect it worked.
Right, but as I mentioned in the review, I'm increasingly skeptical of the idea that I have to like something just because it did what it set out to do. The "gorno" films, as you called them before, certainly do what they set out to do. They "work," but I feel no obligation to give them any credit for it. I think disturbing people, or sickening them, is a lot easier than genuinely scaring them.

I understand, of course, that Clay's reaction is natural, but that's beside the point. The film creates the situation where he must have that reaction, and where we must see it. And then it emphasizes it with a closeup, which is also the final shot. It's not as if their hands were tied and they had to construct the scene the way they did; it was completely deliberate. They make it sunny, happy, she buys the new dress, he's about to propose, she gets the promotion, etc. Then, skin burning off, screaming, and tears. It's carefully designed to show us something really screwed up, and stick it right in front of our faces in the most outrageous way possible.

It's sick and a little twisted but depraved is something reserve for more violent actions that aren't here. Raimi might be depraved and making us laugh at bodily fluids coming in and out of people might be but he does make it work.
He makes the funny parts work, sure, and I certainly gave him credit for that in the review. Anyway, we use the word depraved differently. I think it has more to do with the way the film surrounds the actions on screen than it has to do with the actions themselves. I mean, The Passion of the Christ is brutal. The Pianist is brutal. But they're not depraved. Films can frame brutality in a variety of ways; they can be outraged at it, indifferent to it, or they can revel in it. That's the big thing, to me: the stance the film itself takes on what it's showing us.

Anyway, as for "more violent actions"...

...face burning off while she's still alive and being dragged to hell! I realize we don't see her being tortured IN hell, and it's short, but the idea is certainly as violent as anything. It just requires a little more imagination than the horror films that insist on showing you everything, I suppose.

Oh you really need to get on Evil Dead 2. There's a reason fanboys love it and are loving Drag Me To Hell, the two share the most similar tone and i'm sure watching that would inform of you Raimi's style and tone more than the rest.
Well, I certainly like to think I "get" Raimi's style. I did see the first Evil Dead, and it felt similar in some ways (though far more lighthearted overall, I think).

I'd read that Evil Dead 2 was a quasi-remake, yeah? It's a much better version of the first, then?

I'd read that Evil Dead 2 was a quasi-remake, yeah? It's a much better version of the first, then?
Yes and no. I mean, the first is always going to maintain cinematic history for the way it was received and the bannings in some countries and the shoestring budget along with the imagination that it took to make it in the first place.

The second is really more of a vehicle to get you to Army of Darkness. Sure there is a bunch of rehashed stuff from the first film but after that it has a life of its own. Like:

WARNING: "Evil Dead 2" spoilers below
How Ash loses his hand and retro fits his arm with a chainsaw. That right there is worth the watch all by itself, says I.

Anyway, I caught this flick the other day and I understand a lot of your complaints Chris. I was pretty underwhelmed with the movie to be totally honest. Parts of it were good but for the most part it was pretty average and about what I expected from a PG-13 flick. I give it a

WARNING: "Drag me to Mediocrity" spoilers below
And yes I really didn't like the kitten scene even though I shouldn't be bothered by it because its just a movie. But I'm a Cat person so whatareyougonnado! Sue me. I think the stupid shallow little twit should have gone and bought herself a live Chicken instead of grabbing the first thing that came to her empty little head. Now I'm getting pissed just thinking about it. I may have to drop my rating lower...

I wish Raimi would have just made another Evil Dead flick.

It has got to be one of the toughest combinations in film: Comedy and horror. Seriously, (or not) the only two things I can think of that are tougher to mix is - sci fi and music --- ummmm yeah.

Aren't comedy and horror like, the easiest two genres to combine?

Well, I certainly like to think I "get" Raimi's style. I did see the first Evil Dead, and it felt similar in some ways (though far more lighthearted overall, I think).

Evil Dead 2 takes off where the first finished but they couldn't get the rights for the first to do a recap so they had to reshoot a summarised version of the first one. So in that respect it's a remake of sorts but the two films are pretty different in a lot of ways, there's more of horror/humour blend in it than any of his other films and would say more experimental as well.