Drag Me To Hell

→ in
Tools    

Drag Me To Hell

.....drag everyone to the cinema!

For horror fans, the name Raimi is synonomous with controversial, classic, intuitive Evil Dead series. The films are taken past their genre and budget confines in part to Raimi's distinctive direction. Now for other film fans, the name my raise a few 'ahhs' when put against his more commercial offerings of the blockbusting Spiderman franchise. Funnily enough, both trilogies are addressed in the trailer, a great juxtaposition to draw in both audiences. The film itself is relatively straightforward, our leading lady Christine doesn't grant an old gypsy lady a mortgage extenstion and in turn the old lady curses her with a demon that will literally drag her to hell in 3 days.

This a starts a stream of constant torment upon our lovely Christine, slowly become more physical and outlandish as the curse progress and the demon begins to take form. The film essentially relies on 'jump' scares opposed to brutality or torture like many horror films of late have gone for. While this tactic might appear cheap at points, Raimi's talent behind the camera keeps the frights taut and genuinely tense at points. It also helps that Raimi has a talent for injecting black humour into everything, which i've never seen handled in such a sublime manner before. It lavishes in it's own disgust while managing to make us laugh, part nervous, part because some of it is so outrageous you have to. The atmosphere in the cinema was certainly an odd mixture of the two.

The performances are all strong from the cast, Justin Long perhaps mostly known for being more comedic roles is a bit of an odd one but as the film goes on he settles nicely into it. The real standout as the old gypsy woman and her multiple appearances as she gets more and more grotesque. The only real complaint is the CGI; there's a happy mixture with real makeup and effects but that only really shows up the CGI. Of the many references to Evil Dead throughout, there's one that has an eyeball fly into Christine's mouth which is heavily computer generated. Which could just be Raimi messing around (the wire moving the eyeball in Evil Dead 2 is comically obvious) or a worrying sign of what we may expect in whatever remake/sequel comes to Evil Dead.

It's a minor complaint for one of the most complete horror films since The Hills Have Eyes, and also vastly different to that. There's plenty of jumps combined with some edge of the seat tension and moments that are likely to turn most stomachs- if you don't end up laughing too hard. You can tell Raimi is having a lot of fun returning to the genre; the punishment put upon young actress Alison Lohman (Christine) is very reminscent of what Bruce Campbell suffered (though obviously not as physical with the CGI). Raimi's learnt a lot from Hollywood, the production values are high and it's accompanied with a ridiculously effective score yet the still feels very much like a b-movie. There's plenty of references for Evil Dead fans, even if a certain cameo was missing and there's some great frights. It's a strong entry into the horror franchise in a time that's far too pre-occupied with 'gorno'; it shows that spurting bodily liquids and shadows can be far more effective, even with a 15 rating. But most of all the fluid nature (pun intended) is the star, the blending of humour and horror without ever compromising the other is fantastic. Definite recommend.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Wow, I 've heard good things about this one, even though the previews didn't really interest me.

A return to horror everyone said. 95% on rotten tomatoes and a glowing review here. It has moved up on my list to must see.

Sad to hear about the lack of that certain cameo though....

Suspect's Reviews

Didn't like hearing it would be PG-13, for reasons I mentioned in the last podcast, but the reviews for this sucker are stellar across the board, so I'm there. Can't wait!

Great review! Very excited.

Yeah, well the trailer didn't do much for me either but Raimi going back to horror was enough for me to want to see it. And i really can't stress enough how much that the rating shouldn't deter you from it.

Thanks Pyro, I will definitely be checking this out.

My life isn't written very well.
...yellow 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88...?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

A system of cells interlinked
Very cool... LT will want to see this, I am sure. Will probably check it out this weekend!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I really cannot wait to see this movie from what ive heard and the trailers ive seen this does look like a horror masterpiece

Its about time a decent horror movie was made as there hasnt been that many NEW movies that I have seen are anywhere near great. As a horror fan I watch allot of horror movies and this one does look like a great watch indeed.

Just got back from seeing it, I loved it:

Drag Me To Hell (Sam Raimi, 2009)

I’m sorry to start off sounding somewhat cheesy for the first line in my review, but I agree with the TV spots for this that ‘Sam Raimi is back with a vengeance’. I totally agree with that line, especially because I didn’t like the Spider-Man trilogy at all. I’d probably class them as the most overrated series ever, except the third, because it already was pretty bad received. I absolutely love the Evil Dead series, though, namely Evil Dead II. This movie reminded me so much of Evil Dead II too. The first trailer for this had me somewhat interested in it, but I probably could’ve just waited for the DVD then. It really wasn’t until these past couple of weeks that I really started getting excited for it, and I’ve started to notice that it happens with a lot of movies too. You can tell that Raimi had a considerably bigger budget to work with for this, but he still used his old techniques from the Evil Dead series.

Speaking of the Evil Dead series, I noticed some of the stuff that Raimi put in to this from the Evil Dead series too. Namely the eye ball scene, which any Evil Dead fan should know. Another kind of shout-out was the 1973 Oldsmobile thrown into the movie, but I wish that Raimi could’ve used some more references to the Evil Dead series. Another reference I noticed was that Destry Rides Again was playing on the TV at the pawn shop. What’s really surprising to me, though, is how well the movie worked seeing as most of the scares were jump scares. Usually this ends up hurting a movie, but the haunting score, overall creepy atmosphere to the movie, and comedic moments really helped the jump scares work. There were parts during the movie that I really couldn’t stop laughing, and neither could most of the people in the theater I was in. Most the second half of the movie really relies on the comedic moments, so I guess the second half just really depends on your tastes.

Alison Lohman was absolutely perfect as the leading lady in this. I don’t even think I can express that enough. On another note, she’s incredibly hot. I wouldn’t mind seeing some more movies with her in it. She’s the female Bruce Campbell you could say. I’m still pretty upset that Campbell didn’t even get a cameo appearance in this; I mean he even got a cameo appearance in the Spider-Man movies, and Raimi couldn’t have given him on this. During the entire first half of the movie Lohman’s character, Christine Brown, reminded me so much of Ash in the first Evil Dead. In the sense that the character is sort of a normal person thrown into an abnormal situation. Then in the second half she really seems to become the total badass like Campbell in Evil Dead II and Army Of Darkness. I heard a lot of complaints about Justin Long’s performance in this before watching, mainly hearing how he just didn’t fit with the rest of the movie. I thought he fit in just fine, at least during the comedic parts. It’s good to see him slowly moving out of comedies, though.

Overall, I’d say that any fan of the Evil Dead series would love this. It reminded me so much of Evil Dead II, even if Evil Dead II is still a much better movie. Something else I forgot to point out was the rather abrupt ending. You could see the ‘twist’ ending coming for a good 10-15 minutes before it actually happened, but the way it played out still ended up being pretty shocking. What really helped it was the way the title appeared on the screen right after it was over, because it was done in such a haunting way. Ultimately I went into the theater very excited to see it after waiting awhile to see it, and I left rather pleased if I say so myself. Raimi fans would love this, so I’d suggest checking it out if you’re a fan, and I really just say that because I know a lot of Raimi fans were saying the trailer wasn’t that interesting. Don’t let the PG-13 rating put off either, because this is in another league entirely of other PG-13 horror movies. I think this Is probably tied with Star Trek as my favorite of 2009 so far.

+

I'm not sure how i didn't see the twist coming, given it's rather obvious set-up. And Campbell was offered a cameo, i believe, but turned out due to commitments on Burn Notice. At least Ted Raimi got a cameo, i thought for a minute Bruce voiced that laughing spirit

Best bit, the dancing on the table? Pure Evil Dead moment

I'm not sure how i didn't see the twist coming, given it's rather obvious set-up. And Campbell was offered a cameo, i believe, but turned out due to commitments on Burn Notice. At least Ted Raimi got a cameo, i thought for a minute Bruce voiced that laughing spirit

Best bit, the dancing on the table? Pure Evil Dead moment
Yeah, that was pretty great. The entire seance scene and Christine getting chased around the house and up the stairs by the demon were amazing, I'd say.

Saw this today. I feel, uh, somewhat differently than you guys, but I'm using different criteria, I think. Anyway, I'll try to have a review up in a day or two.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I haven't seen this yet, but the highest I give an Evil Dead flick is
, and trust me, I like all of 'em. I don't know if this relates to what Yoda's talking about.

Here's my review of Drag Me to Hell, which I saw in an intentionally ironic double-feature today with Up.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of disagreement with this one, and that's fine, though I think most of it will come from people approaching the film from a fundamentally different angle. I'm taking a pretty unusual tack with this review, but I hope you find it interesting nontheless:

Drag Me to Hell

Horror films are, at their core, about justice. Though it would seem odd to suggest that someone as influential in the horror genre as director Sam Raimi would ignore such an important principle, his latest effort, Drag Me to Hell, suggests as much. Most of its characters are good, decent people, though it takes a perverse delight in tormenting them all the more because of it.
...READ MORE

Fair enough Yoda. I still have yet to see it, but I will fairly soon. I'm already pretty certain that I'm going to enjoy it.

Question: Why did you go see it? You had to have a pretty good idea of what you were getting into ahead of time. I ask because this type of flick just doesn't really seem like your cup of tea. And yet you went and saw it anyway and disliked it. So, why bother? Serious question.

"Coincidentally, in the theater men's room afterwards, I happened to select a urinal containing a receipt for the film. It seemed an appropriate place."

Great stuff Yoda. Although I can't confirm whether it's justified for this film since I haven't seen it, it's still hilarious.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Ok, Yoda, here's the inevitable backlash at your review. You say about horror films being about justice, i'm sure i can justify the fact it was the evil gyspy woman getting justice for her embarassment but even so, i'm not sure the fact it doesn't comply to genre convention a negative. What about The Exorcist or The Wicker Man? They're hailed as classic, where's the catharsis in what happens to their main characters? All horror films need a likeable character as the backpin to everything, Drag Me To Hell just cuts out the subsidary character to be dispatched beforehand. I think the fact the Alison is a nice person is what makes the humour work, if we weren't on a her side, there'd be the perverse delight in welcoming what happens to them. The fact we like her means there shouldn't be delight in what's happening to her but the outragesouly disgusting things happening with Raimi's dab hand at humour make it funny. It is manipulation but it works and don't see what's wrong with it. None of is morally questionable like gorno, it's just depraved fun. Wouldn't say any of it was brutal though

Eh.

Have you seen Evil Dead? I prob give it fanboy props for being such a throwback.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Yoda has never really been a fan of the Horror genre, so I wasn't surprised when I saw how he rated it. Great reviews from both of you, clearly both sides of the spectrum.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg