Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Another Version of You (Motke Dapp, 2018)
6/10
Coup de Grâce (Volker Schlöndorff, 1976)
6.5/10
A Cool Fish (Xiaozhi Rao, 2018)
5.5/10
The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum (Volker Schlöndorff & Margareeta von Trotta, 1975)
6.5/10

Will Kathariha Blum (Margareeta von Trotta) take out the guy who's responsible for the police and press making her life a living hell?
The Way I See It (Dawn Porter, 2020)
6.5/10
The True Adventures of Wolfboy (Martin Krejcí, 2019)
6/10
Profit Motive and the Whispering Wind (John Gianvito, 2007)
6.5/10
Spell (Mark Tonderai, 2020)
5/10

Don't end up in backwoods Appalachia without your Boogity.
Mother (Tatsushi Ohmori, 2020)
5.5/10
The Call (Timothy Woodward Jr., 2020)
5/10
The Photograph (Nan Triveni Achnas, 2007)
6/10
Boat People (Ann Hui, 1982)
6.5/10

Japanese photojournalist George Lam returns to Vietnam after the war and finds that it may be worse.
Stolen Life AKA Sheng si jie (Shaohong Li, 1977)
6/10
The Craft: Legacy (Zoe Lister-Jones, 2020)
5/10
Entire Days Together (Luise Donschen, 2019)
5.5/10
The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)
- 7/10

"They're coming to get you Barbara." Oops, wrong movie.
Blind (Marcel Walz, 2019)
+ 5/10
Tar (Aaron Wolf, 2020)
6/10
Final Voyage (Marcel Barion, 2019)
+ 5/10
Possessor (Brandon Cronenberg, 2020)
6/10

Andrea Riseborough possesses other people to have them assassinate others. What could go wrong?

'A Colt Is My Passport' (1967)

Dir.: Takashi Nomura

Super stylish Japanese noir. Like if Meville directed a crime film set in 60s Japan with a Morricone score. Tarantino definitely got some inspiration from this.

Story about el Monstruo (The Monster), the protector of Mexican people, who has gone astray and is now working as a strongman for a criminal who harvests human organs for the black market - "You got my money?" It bounces around a couple times as we follow a few storylines (Monsters, Fiends, Thugs and Criminals) which all come together in the end. It's a pretty good movie. Has some Zahler style violence in parts but it's not a gore fest all the way through. Also has some very dark humor.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
The Karate Kid (1984):
80s classic, I heard Cobra Kai was good, so I decided to watch the film again. Always enjoyed this one, for the bit there I thought Danielson was doing labor work for Mr. Miagi.
8.5/10

Unregistered User
Paradise trilogy for me is Love > Faith > Hope, will be interesting to see how you rate the other two. And I agree about the performance from Margarete Tiesel as the lead.

Love > Hope>Faith for me

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Alone in the Dark -

so it is that bad, huh
Surprised you rated it that high.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Underwater

This modern Lovecraftian tale skimps on character development and goes straight for the terror. Before we realize where we are and who people are, things are literally falling apart as people run for their lives.

Kristen Stewart stars with Vincent Cassel and TJ Miller in supporting roles. No one gets more than the barebones character descriptions and maybe one scene or two of some background on them through dialogue. The end result is we don't care if these hollow characters make it out alive or not.

I was half expecting the film to start off with the quote "...if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." It didn't, but that quote looms over this film as the thought of being in the depths of darkness like these characters, not knowing what's in front of you except dread and terror is somewhat effective. I think they could have played with light a bit more to build that dread.

The creature designs I can't really speak too much about because they are hidden by the darkness for most of the film. This is The Abyss meets Cloverfield with a sprinkle of Alien, but is the lesser of all those movies.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A Son's Promise - 7/10
Maybe hokey at times, but still good. Emotional all the way through. I'm sure some of my tears were reserved for the family trying to stick together, but I'm sure some of them were for me and my struggles.

'A Colt Is My Passport' (1967)

Dir.: Takashi Nomura

Super stylish Japanese noir. Like if Meville directed a crime film set in 60s Japan with a Morricone score. Tarantino definitely got some inspiration from this.

I have this on my DVR - I'll probably watch this sooner or later. Cheers!

I rated it higher for that eclectic cast alone. But not that much higher. Maybe 75/100

Madhouse - This wasn't very good. At all. Vincent Price and Peter Cushing both look tired and old. Which they were of course but the weak script provides no help at all. If you want to see Price play a washed up actor in a legitimate horror movie then watch Theatre of Blood. Watch this if you're a fan of horror or of Cushing and Price, otherwise you can probably skip it. 65/100

The Devil Rides Out - This, on the other hand, is unquestionably the better picture and well worth watching. Christopher Lee plays the Duc de Richleau, an adventurer, nobleman and expert in the occult. He learns that his friend and protege Simon Aron has gotten mixed up with a coven of Satanists and sets out to rescue not only him but a young woman named Tanith Carlisle. They're both to be baptized in service to the devil. To it's credit, the movie seems to trying for accuracy as far as I know. There's plenty of arcane dialogue but Lee handles it with his usual aplomb and appears to be making the most of his opportunity to play a good guy. 90/100

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Haggard: The Movie (2003):
In my top 5 favourite movies, always a good laugh and very much reflective of it's time. Ryan Dunn could've been an actor in Hollywood.
10/10

Paradise: Love - 8/10
Thanks @ScarletLion and thanks @Stirchley - you recommended me "The Forest For the Trees" and you also liked this one judging by your reply. Both modern Germans movies, too. And both, because of the picture, which has never happened before.

The acting by Margarethe Tiesel was one of the best I've seen..

Sigh of disbelief... It's been a long life. I finished the movie about 30 minutes ago, but had notifications concerning politics from an old friend. I wanted to review this instantly so it was still fresh, but I have painted my brain with a ton of things in the last 30 minutes, including the music I'm always playing when I'm connected (HDMI) to my laptop (currently playing Paul McCartney - Old Siam, Sir - one of his best ever).. This is my style of review (another thread I started recently, along with the many I've started today, including one or two that I should wait so I don't appear to be.. selfish?). Yes, I'm self-conscious, because I care. Now I need a better random song (something about random music when you can't think of something specific in a list of over 5,000 mp3s).. The Doors (unfinished live version) of "Palace in the Canyon" will do so I can finish this.

A woman who is turning 50 leaves Austria (and leaves her daughter with a friend) so she can get some satisfaction. She was searching, full of life while sorta unhappy, vulnerable, a very unique character. I wonder what she's like in real life.. I notice that with all the women I've listed (women I fall "in love" with on the screen), there's also this sort of "protection" I feel while I'm watching. Almost like "I know you've been exploited and treated like crap, but I will be good to you".

I also read (by accident) from someone who posted about this movie earlier about "First World Problems vs. Third World Problems" - I don't think misery distinguishes. It seems like a lot of the rich people are unhappy (suicide, addiction). I've been to a third-world country (Thailand) and could empathize with certain parts of the movie. I remember my first full day there, someone asked me if I wanted a motorcycle ride ostensibly to where I was staying (with these American girls I found on Couchsurfing - a traveling community that's a lot more than accommodation). I think the guy wanted a little more money, and although it wasn't much, I have (almost) always been a broke backpacker, and I refuse to be taken advantage of. I found out later that I made a mistake with my Thai and gave him an address that was a little further that what my paper said. A third party actually helped and seemed to tell him to just let it go (some valet waiting in front of a hotel), but it was no problem.. Still cordial, I even took a picture. I was in Thailand (not for sex, but to teach English and maybe find a job as a musician, and have material to finish my first book) for a month, and after a week, I was getting sick of being looked at only as a dollar (baht). It was as if I was a dying carcass with vultures fighting to get me to see a "ping-pong" match.. I wondered why the guy was speaking in a hushed tone, so I assumed it was sexual, and it was. Women spits out the ping-pong ball - not my thing.. A massage is inherently great, and so is the happy ending (don't boo).

Both sides exploit each other. When a "Westerner" comes and spends money, they can buy a ton of food, and their economies rely on tourism, since the corporations from all over exploit their natural resources. I found in poorer countries that the people were actually happier, always smiling. Nothing like where I live, or have been in the US, and believe me, I've been all over, not to "party" but to learn, observe, ask questions, discuss.. The Amish have the lowest rates of depression. Maybe all the free time causes people to constantly think of their problems, or things they're missing. One who is working all day, who only has time to eat, shower, go to sleep doesn't have that extra time, and when I slaved (they weren't paying us) in a farm in the middle of nowhere Australia, I lived better mentally than I do now. But I'd always get depressed overseas, considering I thought I was with "my" people. But I'd rather feel "depressed" (I hate that word) somewhere exotic than here. Theresa (protagonist) seemed to have more fun with her German-speaking friends. She seemed worse off than those she encountered. The guy enjoyed the sex, got a ton of money, and then brushed it off, while she thought she was being loved, and thought that perhaps the man really cared/loved her, and that he didn't care about money. And Munga played a good game, but screwed with her heart and head, constantly saying "love" and pretending to care about her. Would you take a broken heart for $100? Too many people only look at financial considerations in relationships. How much is a great movie recommendation worth to you? I think its priceless. Try using that on someone after they tell you much they help you financially just to see their value system, which they impose on you. Oh the (lack of) humanity!

Notice with the man behind the desk (earlier who was being ridiculed in a friendly way with Theresa's "best" friend) was treated the worst by her. But also consider her frame of mind. She got duped (the worst feeling) twice, but we don't see any exchange of money from the guy whose brother had an "accident". The problem with sex (I think) is how one gender pretends not to be interested (social conditioning?), while the other is always interested. Ask around and it seems like every man is having sex while every woman is a virgin - impossible. So this makes sex a game, a commodity. When a woman gives in and lets you in, the man feels like he "won" because he got his way. Sexually, they should both be satisfied, but what happens the minute after? I think some people are ambivalent because they don't want to be hurt after, and might fear getting too close and getting burnt.

Despite not having a happy ending, I enjoyed observing talent. I notice getting some energy, which has been lacking in years. It's my soul nutrition. I don't eat a thing until about 14 hours after I wake up, but give me a good song, movie, comedy clip I have never seen, and I'll think about it forever.

I spent the first hour or so lamenting the fact that such a decent cast was being wasted in such a boring unfunny movie, but when they started to inject some sappy stuff there at the end my boredom transitioned into an active dislike. Ugh. Two stars for you, movie!