The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Apocalypse Now (1979)
My guess: This is my last one, but I've forgotten everyone now so uh

“The horror . . . The horror” says Colonel Walter E. Kurtz in the last scene of Apocalypse Now. We can't really be sure, but I guess he speaks of the horrors of humanity he has experienced, which lie at the core of the theme in this movie. Francis Ford Coppola’s masterpiece becomes especially fascinating when compared with William Golding’s novel Lord of the Flies, published several decades earlier. Both works were produced in response to a war, at heart are pessimistic and dark, and convey the message that man’s essential illness is evil.

Lord of the Flies opens on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific. There is water and food aplenty, and no identified danger. It is a paradise of sorts, an ideal landing for the plane crash that brought Ralph, Piggy, and all the other boys to the island.

After the first scene, where Piggy and Ralph first interact, they find a conch on the beach. Ralph, at Piggy's suggestion, blows on the conch and creates a loud sound, causing all the boys on the island to find and approach them. At this point, the conch becomes a symbol of all the civility and order that will ever be on this island. After deciding who to make chief -- Ralph- and how to make a fire -- with Piggy’s glasses -- things begin to settle down to a daily routine of play and work.

However, this isn’t Coral Island. It isn’t Swiss Family Robinson or Robinson Crusoe. There are no “good versus external bad” conflicts, although much of the conflict that does occur sprouts from a fear of an external bad. This “bad” is the beast. The beast begins as a fear of the unknown, a deep-rooted suspicion of what lurks in the shadows. As more and more evidence piles up in favor of the existence of a physical beast on the island, the conch and the democracy it symbolizes is forgotten, and chaos and evil erupt.

While characters like Simon, Piggy, and Ralph attempt to reinstate reason in the minds of the corrupted boys, some of the corrupted, like Jack and Roger, come to represent the inner evil and savagery that eventually prevail. By the end of the novel, Simon and Piggy have been killed. Ralph, in the process of being hunted to death, is luckily saved by a “civilized” British officer who saw fire on the island, and so came to rescue them. He is disgusted by the boys’ savagery and their resulting guilt, and turns away to let them gather themselves before taking them off the island.

It is worth noting that both Lord of the Flies and Apocalypse Now draw their inspiration from earlier novels -- the former from Coral Island, and the latter from Heart of Darkness. Both of these stories take their inspiration and transform it into something entirely different and unique. Apocalypse Now does this by conjuring the same themes and ideas as Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, but making the setting and characters -- soldiers in the Vietnam War -- much more relatable to modern times, and better able to convey a strong message. Heart of Darkness is criticized for its racism - barbaric instincts are compared with native Africans which the "civilized Europeans" come into contact with. Coppola smartly removes this, and instead makes the horror the war itself - from both sides.

By digging out the inner content of the film - that we are - and can only hope to be - nothing once we lose contact with civilizations demonstrates how Apocalypse Now effectively relates to Lord of the Flies. For instance, in his fantastic essay on the film, Roger Ebert never blatantly says this, but when he talks about “truths we would be happy never to discover,” he refers to the same truths that the boys in Lord of the Flies become by the end of the novel.

Apocalypse Now opens with four minutes of no dialogue while the protagonist, Captain Willard, sits in his hotel room in Vietnam thinking about the war. He wants the war to end but he doesn't want to go home. He wants to be back where nothing matters. The scene blends fantasy and reality to the point where the audience wonders what is real and what isn’t. Willard is obviously driven mad by the war, having divorced his wife and turned alcoholic. But things change for him when he is sent on a mission to “terminate” Colonel Kurtz, an officer who has also been driven mad by the horrors of war, although in an extreme way. Kurtz has secluded himself from all contact and is hiding in Cambodia. He has been ordering mass murders on people on both sides of the war.

The journey that ensues is symbolic of Willard slowly getting drawn into the literal heart of darkness, or the inner evil of the human race. Willard’s actions in the mission become increasingly evil as a result, and the only gunshot he fires in the movie is near the end, when he kills an injured Vietnamese woman so the men don’t have to waste time getting her to a hospital. By doing this, Willard has completely transformed from the man at the beginning- one disgusted and horrified by war- to one partaking in violent actions. He has turned into the same character as that of Jack in Lord of the Flies; one whose inner evil has won out.

The characters he encounters also become increasingly more hostile in nature. For instance, the famous Ride of the Valkyries helicopter attack includes many of the men celebrating the deaths of civilians in the Vietnamese house they are attacking. Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore even responds to one of these civilian bombings by saying, “Outstanding, Red Team. Get you a case of beer for that one.” Kilgore’s words imply a certain pleasure taken from destroying human life.

Willard eventually locates Kurtz, who takes him prisoner. Before freeing him, Kurtz tortures and interrogates Willard. As Willard passes through Kurtz’s bizarre hideout in Cambodia, he begins to realize what kind of man Kurtz really is, and what Kurtz has discovered about human nature. Kurtz tells Willard why he became this way, saying that he discovered what lengths the Vietnamese take to for efficiency (specifically, they hacked off the arms of children infected with polio). It was then that he saw the true secret of war. Kurtz says, “If I had ten divisions of those men, then our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral, and at the same time, who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without a feeling, without passion. Without judgment.” Having penetrated the reality of war, Kurtz eventually realizes how evil mankind can be - and has to be in this situation, and accepts it rather than fighting it.

Willard eventually musters the strength to kill Kurtz and complete his mission. While the natives sacrifice a water buffalo, Willard stabs and kills Kurtz; an absolutely breath taking, visceral, disturbing yet beautiful scene. After a gruesome stabbing, Kurtz still has enough breath to utter the famous closing lines to the movie: “The horror . . . the horror."

It is the “horror” that Kurtz speaks of that is the heart of the themes in both Lord of the Flies and Apocalypse Now. Kurtz told Willard earlier that “Horror has a face, and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies.” His words take on a new significance as Willard begins to realize the very thing that drove Kurtz to madness. He has killed Kurtz, and completed his mission, but the true horror of everything people do will never cease to exist until humanity does. Kurtz knew this, and understood that the horror would have destroyed him had he not bent to its will.

The horror in Lord of the Flies is what changes Jack and his hunters from “civilized” to “savage,” which is not an actual transition. Instead, it’s the surfacing of a trait that was always there. The ending scene particularly exemplifies this because the naval officer come to rescue the boys is disgusted by the war they have been having. However he is ironically partaking in his own civilized nuclear war back at home, in which the same evil and savagery go on, but his actions are praised rather than frowned upon.

Only two characters fully understand the horrors of humanity in both Golding’s and Coppola’s masterpieces. These characters are Simon and Kurtz. Simon knows "mankind’s essential illness", but it doesn’t drive him to insanity. However, he has a symbolic confrontation with the devil, and this affects him horribly. Before the effects of this realization can change him, Simon is murdered by the boys on the island. Kurtz finds this horror out too, from his time at war. Instead of fighting it, he embraces it and becomes a ruthless murderer in his secluded part in Cambodia. As Willard kills him, he -- unlike Simon -- has the time to share with someone “mankind’s essential illness,” as Simon called it.

While Lord of the Flies and Apocalypse Now have extremely different characters and storylines, their inner message is the same: destruction, hatred, evil and blood can all be "innocent," they are all thoughts and acts that we are fully capable of - and, even more repulsively, lie deep within us. Apocalypse Now makes me feel gross and evil. And it's a masterpiece.

+

Warlock(1959) - Henry Fonda is an emotionally scarred lawman caught in the town of Warlock!. Anyways having watched Edward Dmytryk's Crossfire I can say for certainty I hate the way he shoots his films. This is an epic film that feels like it has TV quality filming and that really took away from the experience. This film was actually a mixed bag for me I often felt like it was missing chunks of the story...but then at other points the story just drug along.

It's hard to go into a summery of the film because it has five endings or well five shootouts and that's really where the film has it's strength. It's a movie that builds upon the drama of each action, the shootings have relevance the justifications carry on...it's a powerful message and elevates the mediocre filming.

And while I didn't care for the editing or the visuals I did like the story and performances so it's a mixed bag for me. I was sucked in but I don't know if I was entertained. Anthony Quinn is very good in this as a Doc Holiday type figure to Henry Fonda's Wyatt Earp I hadn't seen Quinn in a Western before and he was impressive to me. His story was the one I really wanted to follow, his narrative was where the A-plus material was but sadly he was just a proxy for Fonda. The film had the right idea the fatalistic lawman is a brilliant take but the film perhaps from it's era was just to sanitized.

Still a good nomination I think I'll rank it highly.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Red Shoes (1948)
My guess: Captain Spaulding gave this one of his rare 5 stars but I already know what he gave me... Cricket's my guess.

Art or passion? Following your dreams or following your heart? Many films have presented themes the same or similar to this, but the Red Shoes is the earliest movie I've seen that tackles it so face on. It's a "fairy tale" (that Disney storybook style at the beginning and end makes it seem even more like one) but a dark one, one where the little girl protagonist really can dance herself to death with a pair of red shoes... no matter how innocent she is.

It takes a while to gain momentum, but once it does, this film is breath taking. It's near the beginning where I'm a little iffy. It takes me a while to fully grow an attachment/feeling to each character. The movie jumps around trying to establish two plot lines - which eventually meet up - and I frankly found it hard to understand what many of the characters were saying due to dialects/accents and that rapid '40s style of speaking.

It may seem from those above complaints that I didn't like the Red Shoes. That's not true at all, since beginning with the stunning (17 minute!) ballet sequence, everything became incredible. The parts that I felt didn't work suddenly clicked. I felt sympathy for (or anger towards) the characters, the pacing smoothed out. It was cinematic magic.

First, can we talk about the "Red Shoes" ballet sequence?? WOW. Just from a technical perspective, Powell and Pressburger utilized every camera method in the book. The costuming, lighting, sets and designs were jaw dropping, and the surrealistic/Dunuel-esque portions were also amazing; practically a silent short film in of itself. I watched the sequence again after finishing and still loved it.

After both Vicky and Julian have reached the peak of their artistic success, that is when their lives being to descend, and ironically the movie itself gets better and better. By the end, I was on the edge of my seat as Lermontov and Julian battled over poor Vicky. As Lermontov descends into despair and madness as the two young lovers run off together. And as Vicky herself struggles with the dilemma presented throughout the entire narrative. No stupid career decision should cost someone's life. Yet it does for Vicky. Her own choices, and the ignorant and selfish people around her, cause her descent into insanity and wildness that causes the unfortunate ending.

And that last shot was soooo beautiful! As he finally removes the red shoes, we feel both immense pain and a sort of bittersweet joy that she must be feeling; she has broken through the conflict of her life, if only for one sweet moment.

The Red Shoes - most of it - is magical. There are some sections I didn't find to be so inspired, but it hardly matters when you have a film willing to face these important - and relevant - themes in 1948. Plus you can always stay for the incredible dance sequences.

+
I learned of this film and fell in love with it's stage sets and overall film in general in the 40's Countdown when it was highly praised in the Thread and for GOOD reason. So very glad you enjoyed it, had a feeling you would when I saw it was nominated for you.
You are going to have SUCH a rough time putting all these great films in some sort of order for your voting -- Good Luck!

I learned of this film and fell in love with it's stage sets and overall film in general in the 40's Countdown when it was highly praised in the Thread and for GOOD reason. So very glad you enjoyed it, had a feeling you would when I saw it was nominated for you.
You are going to have SUCH a rough time putting all these great films in some sort of order for your voting -- Good Luck!
OMG I know!! I think I have a temporary order to submit but who knows, since every day I apparently wake up liking a different movie more or less.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I need to catch up.

*Classics Suspect, leaves everything to the last minute.*

Suspect's Reviews

OMG I know!! I think I have a temporary order to submit but who knows, since every day I apparently wake up liking a different movie more or less.
I can only imagine the wonderful frustration you're under right now and just how worthwhile it has been with the list of greats you got to check out.

Which brings me to something I've been wanting to mention about this HoF. . . and its success and what a success it is!
When @cricket first came up with the idea I was honestly on the fence about how it would work out and the difficulties that could arise trying to guess films for specific individuals. Then to find out, it wasn't at all. Just a fun, and exciting, challenge to pick out films from the Lists and with this in full swing, it's AMAZING how much conversation is going on.

So, F@CKIN BRAVO cricket for coming up with this and putting it into motion. This really should be a repeating HoF - abso-tootley

My favorite South Korean flick is I Saw the Devil, but it's pretty brutal and unflinchingly grim, so it's not for everyone. I also highly recommend Bong Joon-ho's Mother. For all the praise that Parasite has received (and deservedly so), I still think Mother is his strongest film. Some others I've enjoyed off the top of my head: The Wailing (which has been nominated in this HOF); Oasis; The Yellow Sea; The Good, The Bad, The Weird; The Chaser; The Man From Nowhere, and plenty of others I'm blanking on at the moment.
Some truly excellent choices for Korean films. Bittersweet Life is another great one and, @Wyldesyde19, should you enjoy period pieces, I'd suggest War of The Arrows, The Admiral and Masquerade featuring the actor, Byung-hun Lee, who is also in The Good, The Bad and The Weird, Bittersweet Life and I Saw The Devil. He's one of a several Korean actors I really love.

Also happy to see such positive reactions to Rififi and Fail-Safe.

Rififi
(Jules Dassin, 1955)

A lot has been made about the heist sequence, and deservedly so. That dialogue-free thirty-minute stretch is as riveting as any scene you'll find. The painstaking level of detail, the sound-editing, the visual storytelling, the body language and facial expressions of the perspiring performers -- everything about that sequence is the epitome of cinematic excellence. I didn't think it was possible to top the heist sequence in Le Cercle Rouge, but Rififi has it beat. However, this film is so much more than one famed sequence. All three acts -- the preparation, the heist, the ensuing fallout -- are incredible, and the stakes and the level of danger steadily increase throughout the running time. Rififi feels darker and more cynical than most noir I've seen. The film has plenty of style, but it feels more grounded in realism than other entries in the genre. This is noir that's grizzled and stoic. Noir that's been through hard times. Noir with dirt under its fingernails and deep crevices beneath its fedora. Jean Servais perfectly embodies both the gravitas of his character and the no-nonsense attitude of the film. Allusions to the director's blacklisting add extra subtext to the film for viewers looking to read into such things, and the film's overall influence can be felt in crime films all these decades later. Easily one of the best noir films I've seen and a definite contender for my 50's list.
Excellent review and I couldn't agree more. Especially with the line about it being "This is noir that's grizzled and stoic. Noir that's been through hard times. Noir with dirt under its fingernails and deep crevices beneath its fedora." VERY well said!!

I've never heard of Fail-Safe, but I am growing rather curious of it.

I can only imagine the wonderful frustration you're under right now and just how worthwhile it has been with the list of greats you got to check out.

Which brings me to something I've been wanting to mention about this HoF. . . and its success and what a success it is!
When @cricket first came up with the idea I was honestly on the fence about how it would work out and the difficulties that could arise trying to guess films for specific individuals. Then to find out, it wasn't at all. Just a fun, and exciting, challenge to pick out films from the Lists and with this in full swing, it's AMAZING how much conversation is going on.

So, F@CKIN BRAVO cricket for coming up with this and putting it into motion. This really should be a repeating HoF - abso-tootley

Agreed!! Great job cricket, I am really hoping you do another one of these!

I have 7 nominations that haven't been watched yet, including CaptainT.
I’m waiting on write ups for eight of my nominations. One was supposedly watched like a month ago but no review was posted.

The trick is not minding
I’m waiting on write ups for eight of my nominations. One was supposedly watched like a month ago but no review was posted.
That might be me. I had planned on watching Perfect Blue, but the rental store that has it closed for now. And lately I’ve been overworked at my job due to them letting go all temps. I’m working 2 machines every day, where previously I only sometimes worked two.
It’s actually severely impacted my viewing lately as I’ve found myself exhausted from work and not able to muster up any energy to stay up and watch anything. Hoping to get some more in soon.