The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Decent Humble Bundle today, especially the $1 tier.

Life is Strange Ep 1
Murdered Colon, Soul Suspect
The Last Remnant
Tomb Raider 1-3

Good luck getting the Tomb Raider games to work with anything other than a keyboard but they're interesting to have nonetheless - A PS1 disc and an emulator is the way to go. The Last Remnant is a decent (and still great looking ) JRPG and Murdered: Soul Suspect has some great ideas, let down by its execution.

Life is Strange Ep 1 is the standout here although you'll probably want to buy the other episodes as well. If you've got an ounce of taste, that is.

EDIT - Steam sale time!

I've probably bought all I'm going to already: Akiba's Trip (utterly mad JRPG that I've had my eye on for a while) and Dying Light. Both games rarely have this level of discount.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ok I've done it.

I'm still not sure what I've done, but I've definitely done it...

My love of Deadly Premonition is possibly irrational and certainly unconditional. Never has a game wholly succeeded in my eyes despite so many things.

Imagine Hideo Kojima fronting a small indie studio and trying to make a game on a tiny budget (but with a massive scope) and you're half way there. What it lacks in polish, Deadly Premonition more than makes up for in sheer heart.

I think it's amazing.

Unless you're a fan of an upscaled 720p/30fps experience then do yourself a favour and download DPfix. It'll make the game run in a proper resolution (including DSR-style downsampling) and give you a lot more AA and general display options. The game's hardly a graphical powerhouse so it's pretty easy to run it at a downscaled 1500p or even 4k which really makes a difference to the jaggies.

After 11 years, I finally beat the original Sonic the Hedgehog game.*

Now I should try to beat all the other Sonic Genesis games. *Yes I used the level select code (up - down - left - right - A + start) when I got game overs, but I didn't use save states.

The wife and I both had a day off on Christmas, so it seemed a perfect time to finally sit down and play Her Story, and finished it in one day. It was as good as everyone's said. We spent a bit over 5 hours total, though after the first 2.5 or so we took a break, and at that point we'd figured out pretty much everything. I think we got there quicker than usual because Courtney recognized the song (if you've played it you'll know what I mean), and that let us quickly find the next verse. That and we were fairly meticulous about tracking search terms and trying to form a narrative and timeline.

Really great stuff. Highly recommended. Good mystery, clever gameplay mechanic for doling it all out.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
My wife bought me a PS4 a month or so ago.

Finally got some games: Arkham Knight, COD:BLOPS III, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate.

Each game is 50 GB with the disc. What the hell is that? That's 150 GB for two games and it is not a digital download. I need the disc to still play these things. Am I crazy or what?

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Been Playing way too much Rocket League still, but I hit the milestone I've been waiting for yesterday, I'm at least Gold in every Ranked Mode! Will I make it to Platinum over the winter? (definitely not)
Also, I've been playing the hell out of this game. Got the platinum already.

Let the night air cool you off
My brother and I have been hanging out more than usual, which means we just play some couch co-op. We beat Halo 4 and Doom (XBLA port) together. Both were a lot of fun, but I probably enjoyed Doom more. It's fun playing games with him, but he seems to only be interested in sports games and first person shooters. I don't have a problem with either, but it would be nice to have someone to play Rayman Legends with .

What are some good first person shooters with good split-screen co-op campaigns? I have access to Xbox 360 and all four iterations of the Playstation.

In other news: I started playing Downwell earlier today. It's really simple, but it's so addictive. Out of the, maybe, three games from this year that I've played a little bit of, Downwell might be favorite thus far. That could change later this week though, I've moved my PS4 to my room and out of the living room. I could very well start spending my sleeping hours on Fallout 4.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
In other news: I started playing Downwell earlier today. It's really simple, but it's so addictive. Out of the, maybe, three games from this year that I've played a little bit of, Downwell might be favorite thus far. That could change later this week though, I've moved my PS4 to my room and out of the living room. I could very well start spending my sleeping hours on Fallout 4.
Downwell is a great game. I've played a considerable amount of games this year, and Downwell is one of my favorites as well

Let the night air cool you off
Downwell is a great game. I've played a considerable amount of games this year, and Downwell is one of my favorites as well
I'm sure you've put a lot more time into it than I have so far, but it appears to be the type of game that can really scratch an inch for you. I've put in close to two hours, but I can see a time coming where I forget about everything else and play it for three-fours straight. On the flip-side of that coin, it's also the type of game I could play for fifteen minutes, get what I want, and put it down for a while. It might be a little early for me to say, but I think it nails the replayability trait.

The wife and I both had a day off on Christmas, so it seemed a perfect time to finally sit down and play Her Story, and finished it in one day. It was as good as everyone's said. We spent a bit over 5 hours total, though after the first 2.5 or so we took a break, and at that point we'd figured out pretty much everything. I think we got there quicker than usual because Courtney recognized the song (if you've played it you'll know what I mean), and that let us quickly find the next verse. That and we were fairly meticulous about tracking search terms and trying to form a narrative and timeline.

Really great stuff. Highly recommended. Good mystery, clever gameplay mechanic for doling it all out.
Wow. I 'finished' the game in under two hours, according to Steam (although their timer is notoriously squiffy at times). Did you uncover all the recordings?

Her Story is a gem, isn't it?

I spent an hour a few days ago defending its honour on YouTube with an idiot who said it wasn't even technically a game, then realised that I'd been spending time arguing with a stranger on the internet and had a quiet word with myself.

I won though. :P

Yeah, we found them all. Lovely game. Incredibly well written. And I realized after we'd uncovered most of it that you could come at some of the questions the other way, and the "mystery" could be the other half, and it would probably be about as compelling. Really well constructed all around.

I didn't get them all, wholly because by the time the game intimates that you've finished I was satisfied. I shut the game down then sat to think for an hour on what I'd just played.

Doubt I'll ever play Her Story again as the specific hooks probably won't lend themselves to much repetition but it sure left its mark and I'm really intrigued as to what Sam Barlow comes up with next. Same with Commonwealth Games gymnsatics double bronze medel winner (?!?) Viva Seifert.

Played a bit of Dying Light earlier. It seems decent enough and certainly miles better than that other firstpersonzombiesurvivalcraftingmeleeonlinecoop thing, Dead Island.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I remember going to buy Dead Island day of release, played it for 2 hours, took it back to EBgames(Gamestop) to trade in the next day. Haven't played Dying Light but heard it's way better. But playing so many zombie games on steam after the DI incident (Day Z, State of Decay etc) I am a little wary of like titles. Is it expansive? Can you craft? Is it a straight up ZombieFPS or is it more of a survival sort of game?

It's a firstpersonzombiesurvivalcraftingmeleeonlinecoop, silly.

I've only played a couple of hours and am equally as weary of the undead as you. It's resembling a more polished State of Decay (not tried the new remaster of SoD though) crossed with Far Cry. I've spent more time avoiding zombies than actually engaging with them, and I suspect this is be design until you find better weapons.

I've spent more time today playing Way of the Samurai 4, which is much more my kinda thing. I'm still a little amazed that even a Japanese game has one of its characters entitled thusly:

And the game's not even the slightest bit saucy...

Now I should try to beat all the other Sonic Genesis games. *Yes I used the level select code (up - down - left - right - A + start) when I got game overs, but I didn't use save states.

Making me have flashbacks to first time I heard that "Saaaygaaah". What a moment.

So I just got a Wii-U, anyone else have one? I've played 3 games so far: Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and New Super Mario Bros. Even though I haven't played a ton of it I do think it's a pretty underrated system. I'd say the only downside is the lack of games for it. It's been fun playing it so far though.

Real Hero - KhaN- Golgot - Iroquois - Guaporenese - Zotis - gandalf26 - Yoda - 90sAce - Spaghetti - Sedai - AdamUpBxtch - rauldc14 - AboveTheClouds - Hambo - bluedeed

...to get one more shot of that good ol' commercial holdiay joy.

I'm going to waste spend the last bit of my free time tonight making strips with names for a good ol' hat drawing. Results will be posted whenever.

p.e.

And the winner is...

bluedeed