The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

None from my list have made it yet. And so far I've only seen The Trial, A Taste of Honey, Barefoot in the Park, and Seconds. A Taste of Honey is my favorite of these for the location shooting and the chemistry between the two leads. I'd seen one of those bad quality VHS copies of The Trial twenty some years ago and I've just rewatched it, and I wasn't all that much more impressed. I think Seconds starts off strong, but it never really goes anywhere. And Barefoot in the Park I've seen a few times over the years, and coincidentally watched it again last month because it happened to be on the movie channel, but it was never up for consideration for my list. Birdman from Alcatraz has been on my watchlist for a very long time, so I'll watch that and Fail-Safe in the next few days. I watched a different Luis Bunuel film for the countdown, but there's only so much of him I can take in a short period of time, as he's pretty hit or miss for me, so I didn't pursue his other 60s films.

I'm surprised I haven't seen Knife in the Water, as I went through a bunch of Polanski movies I hadn't seen a couple years ago, and some how that one I didn't get around to watching. It's another I'll try to watch in the next few days.

My Night at Maud's is very good. My second favourite Rohmer film (although I've only seen six) but it didn't make my list. Haven't seen Oliver for years but my memories are mostly positive.

My list:

8. The Human Condition III
22. Viridiana
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 10 of 12

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I didn't have My Night at Maud's, but it indeed is a masterpiece, not only about religion and philosophy, but also tea ceremony!
from me.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

No films on my list yet.

I have seen Fail-Safe and Seconds. Fail-Safe was very good but inferior to Strangelove. Seconds had a good premise with great music but lingered along a little too much in the second act (Wine Orgy) and Rock Hudson's time as Wilson could have been better handled, making it average. Best part was when Rock Hudson was talking to "his wife" towards the end of the film.

Finally one I've seen and I can't stand it . Not a fan of Oliver!, at all but it certainly is an iconic 60s film. The only Rohmer I've seen so far is Claire's Knee and I liked it so I'll get around to this at some point.

Been busy the past few days so I haven't been able to watch A Taste of Honey yet, but I'm certainly doing so tonight.

Seen - 2/12
My List - 0/25

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Perhaps surprisingly, I only have two musicals on my list. There were three more in the 'almost made it' section, of which Oliver! was the closest to making my 25.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Oliver is the third movie that I have seen from this list, and it is one that I didn't care for at all. There's far better Musicals out there, in fact a few are yet to come I'm sure.

I think today may finally bring one from my list, but we will see. I just have a weird feeling, but could be wrong.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Well, I've really messed up the chance to vote on this, haven't I...

Reviews

The Breakdown...

The Jungle Book

6th (20 points), 10th (16 points), 16th (10 points), 20th (6 points), 2x 21st (10 points), 23rd (3 points), 2x 25th (2 points)

From Russia With Love

9th (17 points), 11th (15 points), 15th (11 points), 19th (7 points), 2x 20th (12 points), 23rd (3 points), 24th (2 points), 25h (1 point)

Notes

Quantity is key, both film appeared on nine lists, the main factor behind them making the countdown. The Jungle Book had the same amount of points as My Night at Maud's, so appears higher having appeared on more lists. From Russia With Love was the only film to receive 68 points.

Finally, something I voted for. I was never big on The Jungle Book as a child, but I recently rewatched it as an adult and found it quite charming. It still pales in comparison to other Disney classics like Bambi, Dumbo, and Alice in Wonderland, but I felt it was deserving of a place on my list and put it at #21.

My List
2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (#101)
21.The Jungle Book (#88)
25. Something That Didn't Make the One Pointers List

Yay!!! Finally something I voted for, I had From Russia With Love at #25. I go back and forth between this and Gold finger as my favourite Bond. Ultimately I had seen this more recently and had a blast so I gave it the last position on my list.

Also seen Jungle Book. Enjoyable Disney which I'll be rewatching soon for the Animated HOF.

Seen - 4/14
My List - 1/25

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
lol @ Jungle Book, I didn't even think about having animation on my list, well, had I thought, I wouldn't have any anyway

Looks like I changed the rating for From Russia with Love to
, which was pretty stupid as I love the Bond franchise. I see that many other installments got
too. Gotta rerate this stuff.

A system of cells interlinked
From Russia with Love was #25 on my list, and is one of my favorite Bond pictures. It comes across as the least campy when compared to most of the others, especially later Moore pictures.