A view from the Master.

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I'm a big fan of Kick-Ass though I still haven't got round to seeing the sequel yet. And The Punisher is one of the few comic book flicks I've actually not gotten round to.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
I'm a big fan of Kick-Ass though I still haven't got round to seeing the sequel yet. And The Punisher is one of the few comic book flicks I've actually not gotten round to.
I've not seen the sequel yet either. I need to put that in my list to watch. You should give The Punisher a go and see what you think.

I saw The Punisher War Zone recently and didnt think it was half as good as The Punisher mybe the choice of actors, i dont know.....

I liked your write-up on DIE HARD...I agree that John's marriage to Holly never really worked for me either. I disagree that the movie is way too long...as long as the movie might be, I never felt the length, never found myself dozing off or checking my watch.

I liked your write-up on DIE HARD...I agree that John's marriage to Holly never really worked for me either. I disagree that the movie is way too long...as long as the movie might be, I never felt the length, never found myself dozing off or checking my watch.
Thanks. You could plus rep Die hard, then I think it out-reps Jaydee's.

The Hunger Games Double
Directed By: Gary Ross

"May the odds be ever in your favour."

Well I finally managed to catch The Hunger Games double the weekend. And I must say i was pleasantly surprised. I always had The Hunger Games movie down as a Twilight rom-com type of movie. But damn was I wrong (well sort of). The Hunger Games is a very entertaining movie, it's very interesting, and very fascinating. It's got a little bit of everything to make all people of all ages and genres enjoy it. Action, suspense, romance, and Woody Harrison is all anyone could ask for. .

Fun Movie Trivia:

On February 22nd, four weeks before The Hunger Games' release, Lionsgate began selling advance tickets. Not only did the ticket sales break the one-day record originally held by "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse", but also accounted for 83% of the ticket sales of the day.
The Hunger Games, although not original feels fresh. It feels a little bit different from what's around at the moment. And it looks amazing. Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson are great. Lawrence looks fantastic, and she's the perfect lead for the movie. Woody Harrelson brings abit of humour, tho ime not quite sure that was his purpose, but I always seem to find him funny anyway. The cast are all very strong across the two movies, it's probably one of the movies strong points.

Fun Movie Trivia:

Liam Hemsworth and Jennifer Lawrence, both natural blondes, dyed their hair brown for their roles in the film while Josh Hutcherson, naturally dark-haired, dyed his hair blond for his part.
I decided to review The Hunger Games double as one. I think there both equally as good, and both of them have there strong points. There actually pretty much the same story wise. Overall very good movies. They look awesome, and are very entertaining. There are some moments in the movie that look fantastic, it's actually visually incredible.

I saw The Punisher War Zone recently and didnt think it was half as good as The Punisher mybe the choice of actors, i dont know.....
I haven't seen War Zone yet. I'll have to check it out pretty soon.

Predator
Directed By: John McTiernan

" Son of a bitch is dug in like an Alabama tick."

Ime going to start this review by saying Predator is the most badass movie ever made. Forget all your gangster movies, forget all your cop movies. Predator makes The Expendables seem like the club scouts. This is a movie made off testosterone. Seriously, everything about this movie screams badass. From the start of the movie where we see Carl Weathers and Arnold Schwarzenegger Shake hands...it sends buildings collapsing. With muscles bursting out there shirts, and veins bursting threw there skin we all knew what to expect.

Fun Movie Trivia
The original "Hunter" model was a large creature with a long neck, a head shaped like a dog and one big eye in the middle. This can be seen on the camouflage demo's on the DVD. It was only when Stan Winston moved in that the complete design of the now "Predator" changed, along with the title..
Predator is up there with the greatest action movies ever made. It's so original, and imaginative that's it's unlike anything else around (at that time anyway). It's a fun fuelled ride that I never seem to get tired of. The movie moves at such a fast pace, and delivers so much action that we forget all about the silly plot holes. Things like why the Alien is on earth, or why the hell it is even in the jungle fly over our heads. Things like that leave us with questions yet we don't care. We don't care because the movie is so exciting and entertaining that it doesn't matter.

Predator has so many moments, big and small that really make the movie shine. The scene mentioned above with the hand shake being one. The scene with Billy (Sonny Landham) standing on the bridge shouting the predator holding a knife. The scene where they unload on the jungle with all the gunfire they have. All these moments make Predator so badass, and one of the best action movies ever made.

Fun Movie Trivia
According to an interview with director John McTiernan, the "hole in the jungle" appearance of the Predator was played by Jean-Claude Van Damme in a "blue screen" (actually red) suit. Van Damme quit after two days, unhappy with being cast as an uncredited special effect, but can be seen as the Predator in "If It Bleeds We Can Kill It: The Making of 'Predator'". The alien was scrapped, redesigned and was eventually played by Kevin Peter Hall who was 7'2" tall.
Overall The Predator deserves every bit of praise it receives. It's a very special movie that still looks great to this day. The Predator is one of the most iconic movie characters ever created, and The Alien itself still looks amazing.

Predator is 5th in my Top 10... great film.

That thing with Van Damme though is full of speculation. The story I heard was after two days in the sweltering jungle wearing that suit, and knowing he'd not be seen exactly on screen... he lost his rag, had a tantrum and deliberately caused a stuntman to get hurt. So they kicked him out.
Pansy.

Yeah I've read something similar to that myself. There's a lot of interesting trivia out there.

I have become interested in The Hunger Games since discovering my love for JL. You're review should give me the final kick to see them.

Predator rocks

A system of cells interlinked
Excellent review - excellent film!

Sedai

Excellent review - excellent film!
Thanks, glad you enjoyed.

The Sci-Fi Slob

Did you also know that Kevin Peter Hall was the helicopter pilot at the end of the film?
No I never knew that. Next time I watch it I'll look out for it.

cricket

I have become interested in The Hunger Games since discovering my love for JL. You're review should give me the final kick to see them.

Predator rocks
Let me know what you think of it. You should enjoy it.

Alien
Directed by: Ridley Scott

I can't see a ******* thing.

I decided to give Alien another watch last night. I only seen this movie for the first time a year or so ago, and to be honest it didn't really leave an impression on me. Now, ime not saying Alien is a bad movie, but what I am saying is I think it's very overrated. Out of all the Alien series, I think Aliens and Prometheus are the more entertaining movies. Obvisouly for it's time Alien was very frightening. I can probably see why people would of loved this movie back when it was released. And maybe having only seen this movie recently, it might of took away the experience, and the impact the movie may of made back then. .

Fun Movie Trivia
Originally to be directed by Walter Hill, but he pulled out and gave the job to Ridley Scott.
ime not going to write this review based on things I didn't like about the movie. Instead, I'll point out the things I did enjoy, like the visuals. Alien looks fantastic for its time. Obvisouly it doesn't hold up quite well with what's around today, but it's still something I can appreciate. I also loved the suspense towards the end of the movie. Like the scene where the alien bursts out from a body. And when the real horror and screams begin. But what I will say let's this movie down is it's pacing. Everything feels to long, and there's to much time were nothing is happening.

Fun Movie Trivia
Three aliens were made: a model; a suit for seven-footer Bolaji Badejo; and another suit for a trained stunt man.

The models had to be repainted every evening of the shoot because the slime used on-set removed the acrylic paint from their surfaces.
Overall it's not really a bad movie, but I also wouldn't say it was great. It's one of those classics that I think you had to off watched back when it was released like Blade Runner, and The a Exorcist to fully appreciate them.

I can see where you're coming from and understand your point of view. I can see how Aliens and Prometheus might be more fulfilling experiences from a pure entertainment perspective for those who have a mindset for action movies and such.

Alien has definitely lost some power of persuasion with the years because of it's popularity and people would be more easily scared back in the 70's, it was a great cinematic feat at the time.

Alien is not particularly scary to me, I'm 26 old, but even if it was that wouldn't be the reason why I love it (it would add, of course), I love it because it's a magnificent piece of fine cinematic craft to an extent that neither Aliens nor Prometheus can match and I can't explain to you this in words in a simple way. Alien makes almost absolute sense the way it is and is one of the few works I have experienced which can actually transcend the mere sum of it's parts and become something greater to me. I'm going to cite here part of a discussion I had in another place where I describe why this movie works so well for me:

"(...) the movie is about atmosphere and suspense and does it with great technical competence and aesthetical beauty (noticeable influence from 2001: A Space Odyssey). It's simply accomplished for what it aims to be. (...) In today's general mindset the movie has much less novelty factor and power of persuasion than when it premiered in theaters, some scenes can look a bit corny today, but I see pretty well how it might have made quite an impact back at 1979. It's beautiful to watch and the amazing quality of the acting (really, all the actors here should be awarded, brilliant work), the sober and intelligent directing, the technical competence applied in all the scenarios, visual effects, sound and the sensible camera work really makes it believable and transports me to it's own universe making me feel like I'm watching a real and thrilling drama rather than watching a mere horror movie. It's rather difficult to put into words how it works for me, I can easily live it if I want to. Basically it has great power of persuasion because it's so well crafted in all aspects, at least for those who have never seen it before or forgot it like me. Even if it's just a simple "haunted house" formula applied to scify. (...)"

I love Alien and I find it one of the best films ever made not only regarding the horror genre, in fact the whole history of cinema (here I could be overrating, but it's an expression of how much I admire this work).

A system of cells interlinked
Alien is a magnificent film. The groundbreaking art direction by Ridley Scott (Ridleygrams!), the deep allegory, and the exceptional vision make this a timeless film IMO. Definitely the best of the series, and one of my favorite films of the 70s.

Good review, though!