The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Not even close, there are so many documentaries out there to call it a much smaller pool is absurd.
Pool size is a product of available films AND submissions. And by that latter measure, it will certainly be smaller.

Anyway, I made a few arguments, the common thread of them being that augmenting list size for circumstance makes sense. Declaring that all lists should be 100 just because, doesn't.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
According to IMDb, I've rated 777 documentaries and 2499 movies from the '50s. Not that that means anything.

Mark, you need to watch more documentaries.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

My list:

1. Horus: Prince of the Sun (1968), Takahata
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Kubrick
3. Andrei Rublev (1966), Tarkovsky
4. 8 1/2 (1964), Fellini
5. Persona (1966), Bergman
5. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966), Leone
6. The Planet of the Apes (1968), Schaffner
7. Dr. Strangelove (1968), Kubrick
8. Red Beard (1965), Kurosawa
9. An Autumn Afternoon (1961), Ozu
10. La Jetee (1964), Marker
11. Yojimbo (1961), Kurosawa
12. For a Few Dollars More (1965), Leone
13. Late Autumn (1960), Ozu
14. High and Low (1963), Kurosawa
15. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968), Leone
16. Woman in the Dunes (1964),
17. Spartacus (1960), Kubrick
18. Ivan's Childhood (1962), Tarkovsky
19. Au Hasard Balthazar (1966), Bresson
20. Virgin Spring (1960), Bergman
21. Alphaville (1964), Goddard
22. Mouchette (1967), Bresson
23. Sanjuro (1962), Kurosawa
24. Lolita (1963), Kubrick
25. Playtime (1965), Tatit

24. Horus: Prince of the Sun
So that's the other one who had Horus.

No it isn't. You guys obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Watch more movies.

For example, from a movie site I know of that has over 118,000 movies, when I search documentaries I get 15,906 Results, when I search 1960-1969 I get 8,761 Results. This is the largest source of movies in history (way more than Netflix) and they pull their tagging info from imdb - which we will use as well.
This is not a documentary forum.

Like animation, while there are tons of documentaries, there are not as many documentaries that many users here have watched. Thus the list will tend to be highly concentrated.

This is a movie forum. All movies.

These countdowns are as much about determining our favourites and having fun doing it as they are about introducing more and different types of movies to its members. And I can assure you that the forum has changed greatly since I joined, and it's not just the sleek new look Yoda added recently. You can see this with each subsequent countdown.

Like animation, while there are tons of documentaries, there are not as many documentaries that many users here have watched. Thus the list will tend to be highly concentrated.
I'm a bit skeptical about documentaries and whether it will be able to be 100 titles long. I feel like animated films are more universally appealing than documentaries, though, because they are still movies. I can't name a single documentary (aside from concert docs) that I care about at all.

Welcome to the human race...
My rather slapdash list where every film cracked the list, proving once and for all that I am mainstream trash:

1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (#3)
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (#1)
3. Dr. Strangelove (#4)
4. Once Upon a Time in the West (#5)
5. Lawrence of Arabia (#7)
6. Midnight Cowboy (#10)
7. The Wild Bunch (#15)
8. For a Few Dollars More (#22)
9. Harakiri (#27)
10. Yojimbo (#17)
11. Night of the Living Dead (#20)
12. Planet of the Apes (#14)
13. Persona (#11)
14. A Fistful of Dollars (#51)
15. Andrei Rublev (#55)
16. Judgment at Nuremberg (#35)
17. 8½ (#16)
18. Le Samourai (#24)
19. Cool Hand Luke (#12)
20. Elmer Gantry (#48)
21. Psycho (#2)
22. The Apartment (#8)
23. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (#29)
24. To Kill a Mockingbird (#13)
25. In the Heat of the Night (#66)

Everyone will find plenty of docs they love in the four months or whatever is given to send in your list. I already have about 30, but obviously I've focused on Docs a lot more than some members.

To make sure it will work out as a top 100, first get a so/so list together, of the members that plan on joining. After that, you all should be able to decide whether or not it should be a top 50, or a top 100.

That's a truly wonderful story.
Those things DO have an outlandish amount of tape in them, don't they?
Yes they do, and thank you very much. I love my children, more than life itself.

Destiny, I love both The Last Man on Earth and The Gorgon. Great movies, both. Vincent Price is in my top 5 of all-time favorite actors.
That's cool! I agree about Vincent Price. He was amazing, and I love his movies.

I would volunteer to run it if I weren't so new, I think the veterans should run it.
There's nothing at all wrong with you running one of these. If no one else wants to, then knock yourself out.

I don't think the amount of films on the docs list should be set in stone. If we get 70 full lists with 400 films ya 100 makes sense. But if we get 50 list and with only 35 full ones with 180 documentaries total, than it should be 50. The fact is even with film avaliabllity the amount of documentaries that will interest a person is much more limited than the amount of films from a decade.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm a bit skeptical about documentaries and whether it will be able to be 100 titles long. I feel like animated films are more universally appealing than documentaries, though, because they are still movies. I can't name a single documentary (aside from concert docs) that I care about at all.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've been meaning to do a Tatty 100 Colon Part Two Colon The Documentaries for literally years. Literally.

Documentaries is a great shout, although narrowing it down to 25 will be a struggle.