Lost (Possible Spoilers)

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
LOL, shirbles. You sound like me and "24."

Blib ... one little thing I take issue with. I don't think the Others have extra strength or powers. After all, the survivors have killed a tidy little handful of them, some rather easily.

I think Juliet seemed to punch Jack so hard because (a) she was fearing for her life, and that can make you do extraordinary things, and (b) Jack himself probably wasn't that hard to knock out, given the fact that he hadn't eaten for a while. Juliet alluded to the fact that he could start hallucinating if he didn't eat and drink soon (due to drugs he was given as well). When I rewatched the DVR just now, it just looked like she walloped him a good one but nothing superhuman.

IMHO.

Originally Posted by NewDawnFades
I've never watched this show. But as of late I'm becoming more interested in this. Is it worth watching?
Let's just say this: I felt that way about a year ago, and so I rented the first disc of the first season from Netflix, just to give it a try. I had time to watch approximately one episode before I had to get some work done, but I ended up watching all the episodes on the disc back to back without stopping.

If you can watch the very first episode and NOT want to watch the second one, then "Lost" isn't for you. But episodes of "Lost" are a lot like Lay's potato chips: Nobody can watch just one.

Oh, and if you ARE interested in watching the show, stop reading a spoiler thread and just go watch it! Trust me -- it's better not to know anything!!

A system of cells interlinked
New Dawn - I like the show, but I am not over the moon about it. It has a certain level of annoyance that comes along with it, as far as I am concerned. It has a few too many characters and the plotting is ALL over the place. Still, it is incredibly interesting, and dammit, what the hell is going on?!

If you are looking for a new show to watch, I would grab season one of Battlestar Galactica WAY before I picked up Lost. It handles it's characters better and IMO, is the best show on TV right now, hands down. It actually received the Peabody award recently, which usually goes to non-fictional bradcast, humanitarian pieces. The fact that it is a sci-fi show and it got this award speaks volumes for the depth and power of the writing, performances, and overall tone of the show... I like Lost, but BSG is the ****.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Any Whedon fans here?

Nathan Fillion from Firefly, Serenity and Slither has joined the cast for a flashback episode. He will be playing....

WARNING: "LOST" spoilers below
KATE'S HUSBAND

I might as well throw in MY questions after the opening episode.

If Goodwin was asked to make a list in 3 days, why were the tailies taken the first night?

Where do they get their supplies

Why are they taking the children (although anyone notice there were no kids in the opening?)

How close is Jack to Sawyer and Kate?

Is Karl an Other or Not?

Was Juliet married to Ethan or Ben? Why was she crying at the beginning? I have my theories on that.

Are the others super strong? Ethan clerarly was and Juliet did knock out Jack.

Did Jack's father really have an affair? Why did he call Ana Lucia Sarah when she became his bodyguard? Was the guy who picked Sarah up just a decoy?

Suspect's Reviews

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
I might as well throw in MY questions after the opening episode.

If Goodwin was asked to make a list in 3 days, why were the tailies taken the first night?
I want to know how the heck Ben could say, "If you run, you could make it there in an hour." When they panned back to show you the whole island, there is no way he could run there -- or probably even DRIVE there -- in an hour!

Also, Ben told him to have the lists back to HIM in three days. I assumed that meant time to get there, time to infiltrate, time to get back. Still, without, like, CARS, those distances seem prohibitive. They weren't even near a beach to go by boat.

Where do they get their supplies
That's a big one: Do they get supply drops like the survivors did? (And are they getting CDs and CD players and nice new stoves in their supply drops? Washing machines? New clothing?

Why are they taking the children (although anyone notice there were no kids in the opening?)
Yeah, noticed the lack of kids in the opening. Can we assume that was all of them there, or was that just part of them? Were the kids elsewhere? School? Experimentation? Weird.

How close is Jack to Sawyer and Kate?
We thought he was pretty close. Ben shows up to deal with Jack and Juliet wearing what seem to be the same clothes he was wearing while giving Kate breakfast. Plus, there's a theory floating that the huge tank outside Sawyer's cage has water in it -- that Jack's underwater aquarium idea doesn't hold water, so to speak. Some have said that if that were indeed enough water for them to be totally underwater, they wouldn't have been able to stop it quite that easily. That Juliet and Ben's insistence that they'd die was more a Jack-management technique.

Is Karl an Other or Not?
Not sure on this one. He seems like a plant. Why would he let Sawyer out too? That seemed contrived. Plus, he insists that Sawyer run in a certain direction -- NOT go with him. He heads Sawyer right off where Juliet's waiting for him. Seems, again, too convenient. I think he was a plant to keep an eye on Sawyer, to see how he'd respond to various behavioral issues (the fish biscuit machine, being let out of the cage, being told to run this way or that).

Was Juliet married to Ethan or Ben? Why was she crying at the beginning? I have my theories on that.
I didn't think she was married to either one. She's very clear that she's the host of the book club ... it sounds as if it's her house, not hers and someone else's. I assumed Ethan was fixing her plumbing just because that's how these guys operate: all in each other's lives like this all the time.

Did you notice the song she was playing to cheer herself up ("Downtown") was the same one Desmond was playing in the hatch? (Or so someone mentioned on another board...) Definitely a throwback to the 1970s. And does that mean a tie to Desmond?

Also, did you notice the song Jack was hearing on his car radio in the beginning (sitting in his car watching Sarah) was the same 1940s big band number that Sayid and Hurley heard on the beach when he fixed the radio? Weird.

Are the others super strong? Ethan clerarly was and Juliet did knock out Jack.
Again, I'm not sure I saw it as superstrong (at least not with Juliet). Upon watching the show, it just looks like she has the upper hand (no pun intended) in terms of eating, resting, and just being in charge. Jack's not eating, not drinking, not sleeping, just fought off an inrush of water and is very weary. Easy target.

Did Jack's father really have an affair? Why did he call Ana Lucia Sarah when she became his bodyguard? Was the guy who picked Sarah up just a decoy?
We saw that guy at the beginning with Sarah and at the end. I assumed he wasn't a decoy -- that the decoy for the viewers, at least, was the assumption that Christian (Jack's dad) was seeing Sarah. Was it really "Sarah" that he asked to call Ana Lucia?? I knew it was another name but didn't remember which one it was. Hmm, kinda creepy. That whole father-son relationship is messed up. Poor Jack, though, for finding out he was the catalyst for his dad falling off the wagon....

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Austruck
Am rewatching it on DVR right now. I'm still trying to figure out how much contact the Others still have with the rest of the world. After all, Juliet has a CD player and CDs, unlike Desmond, who had vinyl albums and older monochrome computer monitors in the hatch.

We learned that, at the time of the plane crash (approx 2 months earlier), the Others were living a very bucolic lifestyle in their little bungalows far away on the island. Why were they there? Why did they show up at the survivors' camps in ratty, dirty clothes, making them think they were savages?

Are these people stuck here as part of a leftover Dharma experiment, or were they in charge at some point? Were they abandoned here by the Dharma people who left, and if so, why the CD player and book clubs and niceties?.
Heres my Ł1.20 (Like my two cents LOLLOLOLOLOL.....*cough*) Just in answer to some of your questions, the others we see at the beginning of episode one are how they are living prior to the plane crash. They have no need for the fake bears and tatty village etc as that is all part of their new experiment they are carrying out that involves the survivors. I dont believe they knew about any of the people on the plan before it crashed, this was just a lucky 'coincidence' (Is anything ever though?) that the plane crashed on the island. For Juliet to have the entire fact file on Jack, and probably on most of the other survivors must mean that they still have access to the outside world. Hence the food and supplies also. So some kind of experiment is obviously still going on. In regards to the super powers, i still think there is something going on. How do they have the ability to create the whispering noises? Or maybe thats not even the others, but the powers would also explain how Ethan and Goodwin got the crash sites in such quick time. Dont you remember Ethans super dooper strength when he was beating up JAck and Charlie? Definatly something extra he has there. Or maybe he just eats his spinach. Who knows.

In regards to the Kids thing, there isnt any on the island before the crash. Yet they are extremely interested in them after the crash. Therefor children are a big thing for the Others. But this really relates to an ongoing pattern with the show that you touched upon Lindarelly, family-issues. If you look at almost every single back story of the characters, Family and predomenantly, Daddy issues are a major theme. Obviously the biggest one is Jack, our 'main' characters story. Then theres Sawyer, taking on the con man who caused his dad to do the terrible things that happened to his family. Then we have Kate, who grew up believeing her father was somone who he is not, and then obviousyly killing her own father. tut tut. And Locke, poor wonderfull, shiny headed Lock, whose father stole his kidney then ruined his marriage and most likely his life. Michael and the steps he took to save his son were a massive part of season two, even though we have seen that Walt has his own issues with his parents. Then we have Sun and Jin. Suns father, the evil Japanese crime lord who will try and kill Jin should he ever find them. And Charlie. He had a big thing with his parents in the last flashback of series two, although that is more family orientated. Claire is the mother of some strange magic baby, she has big issues with the nasty father bloke who dumped her in series one. Ana Lucia had an issue with her mother and the fact that a man shot her causing her to stop becoming a mother. Shannon's poor Dad died leaving his wife and Boons mother to create the nasty Shannon we saw in the first series. And obviously Boon and Shannon getting there thang on, even though they were step siblings. And one of the bigger mysteries from Season twos finale, Penny. Pennys father paid Desmond to stay away from her, maybe even going as far as stranding Desmond on the island which as we now know, is ultimatly funded by Widmore Labs, Pennys daddys company. Its all very interesting! Or Oedipal in some kind of twisted way. The only ones i cant really put together are Sayid, Hurley and Echo (Even though Echo's story revolves around his brother)

So there ya go, keep it in the family i guess.

rhymes with Goebbels
A few things, and possible spoilers so read at your own risk

First off, the song Desmond played wasn't the same song as Juliet's. I seem to remember his went something like "plaaay your own kiind of muusic! siiiing your own special soooong!" or something equally as ridiculous. It did resemble juliet's song an awful lot, though.

secondly, (again possible spoilers)

Apparently, the creators have admitted to there being multiple factions of others. (dun dun duuunn!) I know, it just gets curiouser and curiouser. I'm not entirely sure how hearsay this is, I will look in to it, though.

Just wanted to add that the plane crash was caused by Desmond not hitting the button when he should have... Or so the last episode of S2 seems to indicate...

The song Desmond plays is "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" from MaMa Cass.

Anyways, here's my theory on the marriage thing.

Ethan is possibly married to Juliet. He was fixing her plumbing, somthing a husband would do. Ethan was asked to make the list and hand it to BEN in 3 days. In the episode "Maternity Leave" we see what happened to CLAIRE. This is where we see TOM/Mr. Friendly give hell to Ethan about bringing CLAIRE. He says "You were suppose to make a list, not bring her here."

In the opening of Season 3, we see Juliet, she's depressed, begins to cry. Is it possible that she had a baby with Ethan, but had a miscarriage and lost it? That would explain why she was so sad in the opening, and why instead of making a list, her husband decided to drug and kidnap CLAIRE. (Who looks like Juliet).

Or she WAS married to BEN. Could it be they got a divorce? There is obviously some friction between the two. "I guess I'm kicked out of the book club". Or she could just be tired of his ****.

Anyone catch that the book they were reading was a Stephen King book. (Carrie). Apparently BEN hates it, that's why he was not in the book club. Go watch when Ben/Henry was captured, he asks Locke for a book to read, a Stephen King book. Just an interesting thing.

Apparently Stephen King is a big fan of the show, which is why they throw cute little bones to him every so often. (I think one of the many beach books Sawyer was reading was a King book.)

I'd already heard (on the lost.cubit.net site) that there were two groups of Others. This makes a lot of sense -- but is one in charge and one is stuck there? Are they semi-equal in power but rivals? If they're grouped as civilized and dirty/grimy, then why were some of the civilized group (Ben, etc.) dressed all shabby as if they were part of the other group?

I read someone else theorizing that Juliet was married to either Ethan or Ben. Not sure what I think about that. Ethan makes more sense -- fixing her plumbing, and it would account for her being peeved at Ben, because his sending Ethan to the crash site cost him his life.

It just makes no sense that she was married to Ben. I find it more than slightly humorous that many people (here, two other Lost sites I visit) assume that, because there is friction between Ben and Juliet, this means they must be married. LOL! To me that's just hilarious, sorry.

Thanks for the song clarification. I had read the "same song" theory on another site and no one has contested it (that I noticed, anyway) ... and this is a pretty savvy site for details so I assumed it was confirmed. But you're right -- both are '70s songs, but different songs.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Austruck
Thanks for the song clarification. I had read the "same song" theory on another site and no one has contested it (that I noticed, anyway) ... and this is a pretty savvy site for details so I assumed it was confirmed. But you're right -- both are '70s songs, but different songs.
I thought that was obvious? But then again i like Mammy Cass and her lyrical screaming so I was kind of dissapointed it wasnt it. Plus it would have been a good and yet another straaaaaaange coincidence.

No, it wasn't that obvious, I guess. I wouldn't have noticed anything at all, except that I read this on another site ("Hey, it's the same song!"). And, when no posts in the thread disproved it, I naively just thought, "Well, hey, another weird Lost coincidence, how cool."

I should do a little research myself, I guess.

Caught it at 8:00 here in CANADA.

Boring episode until the ending.

So THEY DO have contact with the outside world, interesting, yet they decide to stay on the island.

The offer to Jack is interesting, I wonder what they are going to make him do.

Is there some kind of underwater passageway, how else could they have gotten on the boat?

Sun may have just started an actual war between the two.

I thought it was better than last week, actually. I mean...The Red Sox!! I was laughing out loud at that. I guess it comes down to the fact that i just don't find Jack very interesting, and Jin and Sun stories are always interesting... I will admit, the Kate/Sawyer segments were pretty yawn-ish...

Well, previews for next week have Eko, Locke, Hurley, Charlie, and Desmond in them! Some of my favorite characters. Sawyer's growing on me, though.

The Red Sox bit reminded me of Back to the Future when Marty tries to tell Doc Brown that Ronald Reagan is president in 1984. Same sort of reaction.

So, Ben grew up on the island. Actually, just because he said he's been there all his life and has contact with the outside world doesn't mean he can leave. He might be captive there too. Why, for instance, is he so hot to get that sailboat?

And this was the first episode where I believed that MAYBE Walt and Michael really did get "rescued" or somehow off/away from the island.

I just don't see, though, how the Others (or anyone else who's holding the survivors on the island in any way) would ever voluntarily let them go home at this point. Not with everything they all know. Somewhere behind all this are people who don't want this information to get out.

I think when Ben hints at there being two groups of Others, it means that there really are two groups. I'm betting that a whole bunch of people were brought to the island (by the Dharma Initiative?) many years ago, and some of them had children. But they were part of an experiment. And they were forced to stay there. In some ways they're victims too, but of an earlier generation.

And even if the Dharma group isn't conducting their experiments officially any more, they're still keeping the original group there because, as stated above, they can't let them go "home" now, with what they all know. So, you leave them there until they all die off. You don't let them have more children, because that just prolongs how long you have to maintain this island. Once they all die off, Dharma can officially sever their ties.

Yeah ... and then I remember that the island does have these weird electromagnetic properties ... and that the button does have to be pushed.

BUT ... has anyone been pushing it since the explosion? It's been more than 108 minutes and no one who's down there is really able to be pushing the button in their current state. Or does the key-turning mean no one has to ever push the button again? Has that gotten rid of that part of the story for good?

As with nearly all Lost episodes, the more I think about it, about the new information, the more questions I end up with.

LOVE that about this show! It's not frustrating -- it's FUN!

Not sure how I feel about the hatch going away. I guess it ran it's course, but I hope they continue to explore the hatches we haven't seen yet. As interesting as The Others are, I really dig all the quirky island mystery stuff with all the strange technology and artifacts etc.

I really hope these writers know where they are going with all this...

Originally Posted by Sedai
Not sure how I feel about the hatch going away. I guess it ran it's course, but I hope they continue to explore the hatches we haven't seen yet. As interesting as The Others are, I really dig all the quirky island mystery stuff with all the strange technology and artifacts etc.

I really hope these writers know where they are going with all this...
I agree, I hope they just don't ditch the whole hatch thing. It went on for almost 2 seasons of this thing and then nothing...would really suck.

I really want to see a flashback with Kelvin and Radzinsky in the hatch, that would be really cool.