The MoFo Westerns List

→ in
Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Yes, but if it isn't eligible, watch it anyways.

Eligibility Debate
Lone Star
1996, John Sayles

John Sayles' look at two generations of racial tensions and murder along the Texas/Mexico border focused on two sheriffs; the present day Sam Deeds (Chris Cooper) and four decades before his father Buddy Deeds (Matthew McConaughey), the local legend in whose shadow Sam lives.

Skeletal remains are found out in the desert and seem to point to a long vanished local sheriff, Charlie Wade (Kris Kristofferson), the corrupt, violent, racist who held the position before Sam's father. Layers of lies and secrets are revealed about the romances and terrors of that county.

The IMDb lists it as a Drama, Mystery.

It surely has the trappings of a modern day Western, but does it utilize enough of the tropes and structure of the genre to be considered for our list? I LOVE this movie. To me it is Sayles' masterwork and the in-camera transitions between the timelines are wonderful. But I would also classify it as a mystery much more than a Western, though like many of John Sayles' films it defies easy classification..

I would lean towards exclusion, myself, but I am not the final arbiter, nor is the IMDb. What say you, MoFos?
We have two eligible votes and two ineligible votes so far. Let's see if we can get another four or five folks to weigh in?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Lone Star isn't a western, it's a crime-mystery-drama set in the southwest where people traditionally wear cowboy hats, that's all.
Not having followed all of the eligibility debates, I was using 'people wear cowboy hats' as my main criteria for deciding if something was a western.

Kewl, Arnie wears a cowboy hat in the final stages of Sabotage. Least it looks like a cowboy hat to me. Might've just found my one-pointer

Lone Star isn't a western, it's a crime-mystery-drama set in the southwest where people traditionally wear cowboy hats, that's all.
Not speaking specifically on Lone Star, but it seems that a lot of people call movies set in Texas westerns, and it's really just because they're set in Texas.

Will also be sending in mine soon, cramming in a couple more first though.

Wind River is a mystery and a thriller set on frozen, present-day Native American Reservation. Why would you want to call it a Western?
I see plenty of things about it that is typical for a western and I’ve seen plenty of articles calling it a “modern day western” or “neo-Western”. I don’t see why it should be written completely off like that.