Movie Tab II

Tools    

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Public Enemies

In a word...Boring

Poor character development. Film school style camera work. Lead actors that were phoning it in. I just kept thinking 'God I wish Scorsese had directed this' and 'We should have seen Sunshine Cleaning'. Pretty damn disappointing.

Welcome to the human race...

The Hangover (Todd Phillips, 2009) -

Just a fun way to spend a couple of hours, nothing more, nothing less. Probably won't hold up to repeat viewings, though.

From Beyond (Stuart Gordon, 1986) -

This marks the first Gordon film I've seen since Re-Animator a couple of years back. I get the impression that body horror films aren't really my thing - sure, I can watch them, but I don't find them especially interesting. From Beyond is no exception and while I thought it was an alright movie on all counts, I didn't think it was anything too special and probably won't end up revisiting it at any point soon. Plus, I'm pretty sure I got a trimmed version.

Demons (Lamberto Bava, 1985) -

With a title and premise like this film has, how can you not love it just a little bit? It revolves around demon zombies terrorising the captive audience of a haunted movie theatre, has extremely bad dubbing, a soundtrack stuffed to the gills with rock music, copious amounts of gore, and one of the strangest yet most awesome climaxes to a horror film ever. I recommend it to the people who'd enjoy one ridiculously violent demon movie, although I get the feeling most of the people who'd like this movie have probably already seen it.

The Human Tornado (Cliff Roquemore, 1976) -
(Camp rating:
)

Remember Dolemite, the hilariously bad blaxploitation film I watched last week? Meet the sequel - where Dolemite once again has to tackle a bunch of bad guys who are threatening his friends and business. The Human Tornado is roughly the same in terms of quality, although there are several instances where it goes above and beyond the ridiculous nature of its predecessor. Crazy stunts get instant replays. Fight scenes are ludicrously sped up (and Dolemite does some kind of crazy blubbering noise when he fights). One scene where Dolemite has sex with the bad guy's wife actually results in the room getting destroyed (because Dolemite is a "human tornado", get it?). You get the idea. The Human Tornado is just as hilarious as Dolemite, thanks to its few strengths and many weaknesses. It may be a slightly more polished film than the original, but who watches these things for quality?

Watchmen (2009)

I just finished watching Watchmen. I loved it. It marks only the third movie I've seen released this year, but it will very likely end up among my favorites, if not my favorite, of the year. I haven't read the graphic novel (which I've heard adds to one's enjoyment of the film), but still enjoyed the hell out of it.

Very original concept, intriguing characters, and beautiful visuals make Watchmen a fascinating flick. The CGI could be toned down a bit, but when it provides as much to the look of the film as it does here, it's tolerable. The action isn't as frequent as I thought it would be (a positive thing), which supplies an ample amount of intrigue amid the films characters and story. When the action does kick in, it looks very good. The use of slow motion in most of the fight scenes was nice. I also loved the noir-ish vibe that some of the film gave off (notably Rorschach's moments in the first half of the film). Terrific movie.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Last Five:

Torn Curtain [3 stars]
Paul Newman and Julie Andrew's performances highlight this somewhat overlonged story. It is definately not a flick to watch with high hopes. I thought the combination of those two actors and Hitchcock was a must-see, but really if you are a fan of any of the people mentioned, I think it's not a waste of time. Otherwise, your two hours are better spent on something else. Never the less quite a few moments of pure Hitchcock tension.

Spy Hard [3.5 stars]
I was impressed by this film because I really did laugh from beginning to end. I'm usually not one for goofy comedies, but I do enjoy a good spoof. This movie is one that should be viewed several times to catch all the funny jokes there are. Only a few moments where the comedy lags.

North to Alaska [4 stars]
Great John Wayne flick. It has a lot of good comedy, but doesn't overwhelm you with it, romance, or too much western stuff. It is a perfect balance of all that. And other than The Duke never fails, there isn't anything else to say for me.

Fallen [3 stars]
Really interesting plot, but the ending killed this movie for me. True that there is no way that one would guess this ending, but in my opinion, I wouldn't want to guess that ending. However, one big plot twist I saw coming in the early part of the film. I liked Washington's character though, but overall I just can't give it more than 3.

Spellbound [4 stars]
Hitchcock never ceases to amaze me! He is truly the master of suspense. Just when one thinks the movie is over, there is another twist. It has its dull moments, I'll admit. But the surprises of this movie aren't like any I've seen. You are certain that you know what has just happened, but then it's something different. Peck and Bergman have ideal chemistry. Definately one that I would recomend.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Deep Red (1975) -

This was only my second encounter with Argento's movies but i'm really starting to like him. As Eli Roth said on Bravo's Hundred Scariest Movie Moments, he puts the 'gore' in 'gorgeous' His movies are always stylish, pretty and gory with a (mostly) great soundtrack in this case, it got a tiny bit hokey at some points but didn't detract from the movie at all. I still like Suspiria more but am going to check out more of his films, Tenebre next most likely....

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) -

Verrrry weird movie with the oddest most alarming sex scene ever.. that could actually be plural. I'll never look at those tight pants from The Labyrinth the same way ever again v.v but anyway, it was an enjoyable movie, it dragged in a few parts and didn't seem to go anywhere but that's why i gave it a three

Happiness (1998) -

I had to watch this movie for the trade-off tab, Iro recommended it to me. It was a very unhappy movie despite the title =\ but also a very good movie despite the depressing content

Bad Taste (1987) -
horror comedy rating

Lord of the Rings are my favorite movies ever and horror is one of my favorite genres ever and Peter Jackson is now the love of my life! (He already was before but it has intensified) All you need is the pictures and if those don't make you want to see it then it's definitely not the movie for you.

Severance (2006) -

I really enjoyed this movie. In any other horror movie you always are yelling or at least thinking at the screen telling the main character what they should or shouldn't be doing but with Severance the characters actually seem to care about their own survival, they don't stand there like =O for ten minutes. And there was a pleasant blend of humor.

Gattaca (1997) -

The concept of this movie is the best part. It is set in the future where the second you are born they take a blood sample that can tell you the likeliness of ADD, Depression, Heart Disease etc with the baby. The percentages affect how likely it is you will get a job even though it is illegal to discriminate but no company wants to invest in someone with a bad heart. So Ethan Hawke's results when he was born said that his life expectancy was in this thirties and his dream is to go to space but he can't get accepted into the program because of his blood and yeah...really cool movie

Sleeper (1973) -

Verrry funny movie. Less focus on plot and more focus on fun and comedy it was exactly what i was in the mood for.

Silent Running (1972) -

I haaaated this movie =\ i found Bruce Dern very obnoxious and psycho looking at times and my god you couldn't pay me to watch this again. The music was the most ridiculous part and although i was on Dern's side i wanted him to die

Three Stooges: Stooges at Work (1938) -

A refreshing blast from (my) past. My father has seen eeevery episode these guys have made and i grew up watching them but hadn't seen them in forever. These weren't the best episodes i'd ever seen but pretty much everything these guys did was genius

Aliens (1986) -

Awesome action movie. It was verrry different from the first one but in a good way. They can't really be compared although i prefer the first one which had more of a horror element to it and this one had action. And Michael Biehn!! Which is always a huge plus

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Funeral (1996 Abel Ferrara)

This is my second viewing of this movie and it's going to be my last. It's been a while since I've seen it and I remembered it being a whole lot better than it is. There are some good performances; the best given by Annabella Sciorra and Benicio del Toro. Christopher Walken is always amazing to watch, but he seems a little absent here. Chris Penn is sweaty and loud and Vince Gallo is Vince Gallo. Unfortuneatley.

I think this tried to be a different sort of mob movie, but the ideas brought up aren't examined fully enough and the complexities of the relationship between the brothers aren't given enough detail. Which is why the ending isn't nearly as powerful as it should be. D+

I don't care for the movie, but Gaspare is hot.

Hellboy (Guillermo del Toro, 2004) -

I don't go in for most superhero movies, although Hellboy had an interesting premise on its hands. Ultimately, I was a little disappointed in the final product but it was alright to watch. Some of the stunt work and CGI looked a little fake and the character development felt hollow in places but all in all it was an okay way to spend a couple of hours.

Christine (John Carpenter, 1983) -

Despite being adapted from a Stephen King story and being directed by the man responsible for both Halloween and The Thing, this film never felt particular scary to me. I just put it down to the fact that it wasn't going for your average jolting scares, instead building up a sense of unease over the building obsession that grows between the titular killer car and the nerdy young teenager who buys it. It's an alright film that has all the best Carpenter touches (such as the distinct electronic score or the smooth widescreen photography) and a good premise that doesn't quite reach its full potential.

Broadway Danny Rose (Woody Allen, 1984) -

This was more like it. I haven't seen much Allen (the only other film of his I've seen so far is Annie Hall, which I wasn't too fussed about) although I was fairly impressed by this. I'm still getting used to Allen's sense of humour, although I can't deny he shows some ingenuity in this film. Between the stylish black-and-white photography and the use of a Greek chorus of comedians telling/hearing the stories about the eponymous Danny Rose, not to mention the sharp scripting, I actually rather liked it and am probably rating it a little low, but as you may have noticed I'm starting to get ever so slightly harsher. Doesn't matter, it was a fun movie.

amores perros 2000

It's gritty , well filmed , well acted , wildly ambitious - but I've seen this same movie too many times now. Overlapping crisscrossing narratives with often harsh realities forced upon it's characters , it's enjoyable but doesn't stand out in a slew of others just like it. I'd still recommend it and even more so from the same director Babel.

BLUE 1993

Juliette Binoche may be the key player for the film , but what I thought was more important was the director's style in how he presented the story - which was interesting at times , but overall dull.

Sprited Away 2001

Pure imagination , mysticism , and emotion. The best animated film I've had the pleasure to experience and probably the best I ever will. Miyazaki's animators in perfect collaboration with Joe Hisaishi's magical orchestra.

The Dirty Dozen 1967

Wonderfully structured character driven fare that doesn't look to dissect war and combat but to acknowledge it as simplicity. I loved the performances as much the story , the only thing trailing behind are the visuals. They are by no means terrible , but the weaknesses are highlighted when you get to the big action sequences. Still top notch stuff , I'll be visiting this one again soon.

You want to post like me?
I Love You Man - Jay Segel, Paul Rudd.

"Yeah, I slap some base."

Not much of a story. Me and my buddy tried guessing what the plot turn was going to be... Maybe Rudd's girlfriend payed Segel to hang out with him. Maybe Segel was a hustler who just wanted to rip Rudd off... But no, Segel was exactly as he appeared to be.
Turned out to be an ordinary comedy with no real story or 'meat'. As much as I love Segel and Rudd this flick just didn't do it for me. Occasionally funny, but I'd rather watch Rolemodels, Knocked Up or Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974, Sam Peckinpah)

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976, John Cassavetes)

The Innocents (1961, Jack Clayton)

Fracture (2007, Gregory Hoblit)

Night on Earth (1991, Jim Jarmusch)

The Passenger (1975, Michelangelo Antonioni)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Used Cars (Robert Zemeckis, 1980) -

This movie made me think about what makes for good comedy, especially in the wake of watching The Hangover last week. I think circumstances had a lot to do with it - I saw Used Cars at 2 a.m. by myself as opposed to watching The Hangover in a crowded theatre with a friend. Of course, it goes without saying that comedies are usually much more fun when you have someone else to enjoy them with - maybe I should do the same with this because while I wasn't exactly laughing myself sick at it, I had to admit it was consistently amusing. The script and performances are pretty good, including some brilliant building of tension, charming little nuances and pulling off a plot that is at once very convoluted yet surprisingly easy to follow. Then there's the performances - Kurt Russell and Jack Warden are the obvious stand-outs in the cast, but the supporting cast deserve their credit (especially Gerrit Graham as superstitious salesman Jeff). I should probably watch this again under more favourable circumstances to get the full effect but until then...yeah.

Santa Sangre (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1989) -

Okay, so this was a bit of a disappointment. I think I'm starting to get over Jodorowsky's films, or rather get used to them and the supposed novelty of his attempts at living artwork. Santa Sangre is more of what I've come to expect - it's quite simply weird, albeit slightly more rooted in a sensible reality than his prior work. What story there is - about a traumatised circus performer trying to adjust to everyday life, but is hampered by his psychotic amputee mother - is somewhat strong, but it's drawn out a hell of a lot by a series of surrealist episodes. Granted, this is the director's usual style, so I can't really fault the fact that this is how he makes his movies. I've just lost interest in watching them.

Saw a few movies over the long weekend...

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

I'll reserve a rating, since I might yet write a review. I'll simply say that it was okay; pretty good, but nothing terribly special.

Run Lola Run

Really dug this. Courtney had been telling me she liked it for some time, and I finally Netflix'd it. I had a lot of guesses as to how it was going to end, and none of them quite ended up happening, which is kind of a shame because I thought its possibilities were better than its actual ending. Still, fun idea. I like that the first run-through is tense, but the other run-throughs are merely intriguing.

I particularly like this because most films that people describe as "experimental" end up being nebulous and weird, and a bit of a waste of time. I feel like this is a film that is both genuinely experimental, and genuinely entertaining/interesting.

Persepolis

Maybe it deserves a
for some of the animation alone. Regardless, I was pretty disappointed with this one. Perhaps it's not fair of me to criticize the film for what I rather would have seen, but I just wasn't that interested in its emphasis on autobiography. I feel like the Iranian backdrop really fell by the wayside, and it missed a chance to educate a bit more by being so vague and placing so much emphasis on Marji's mental machinations and personal life. I was far more interested in what was going on in Iran and how it might affect her than I was about her love life with some random guy in Europe. I feel like it missed a chance to make some more meaningful observations.

Still, quite gorgeous to look at most of the time.

Gah lost my post.

Public Enemies

Starting again, the film is almost the polar opposite to the other big picture out Transformers 2 in style and tone, yet retains a lot of similarities and subsequent problems. Essentially, the film is Heat in the 1930s, pitting two of today's big stars- Depp and Bale- against each other, much like de Niro and Pacino. Depp is always watchable but doesn't seem to have invested into this character to make him interesting, while Bale is sidelined, a lot like his last few big films. There's an unconvincing romance thrown in for Depp that takes up too much time and has about as much emotional resonance as the toilet flushing. Sadly this is where much of Depp's character development is supposed to be while Bale never really gets any. When the action does explode, the lack of attachment to the characters somewhat diminishes the excitement. There are plenty of other characters but are lost in the shadow of Depp and Bale's screentime. The biggest disappointment, however, is failing to create any relationship between Bale and Depp, the two have next to no interaction to make for an exciting or tense game of cat and mouse driven by strong characters, like we had in Heat. Like his last film, Miami Vice, Mann makes good use of the realist digital shooting only here he fails to utilise a tone to accompany it; the film is just superficial- big name actors, a unique visual style but nothing behind it.

My past 2 weeks since I did last post in here have been pretty different with movies, so I thought I'd do something different than I usually do.

I think I have a problem though, because I'm becoming too obssessed with Jaws. I watched 4 or 5 times while I was on vacation, and I loved it everytime I watched it. Maybe it was because I rode the ride at Universal a couple of times, but something about it has me wanting to watch it so much. I don't want to over-watch it, too, because then I fear I may start to not like it. Speaking of Spielberg's films though, I also watched E.T. one more time since my last post in here. Luckily I haven't been becoming as obssessed with it as I've been with Jaws. It's still very nostalgic and even though I got the crappy DVD version of it, I still love it. The ride at Universal for it is pretty boring, though.

Seeing as how we didn't even have HBO where we were staying for the week and a half either, I found myself watching a lot of TCM. I don't think I watched a whole movie on the channel at all, though. I found myself watching parts of movie and that was it, hell I didn't even know what I was watching half the time. I caught the second half of the Philadelphia Story the first day I got there, though. I found myself liking it a whole lot more this time than the first time I watched it. I do remember the first Saturday I was there TCM was having a Hitchcock marathon. I got the ending of the Man Who Knew Too Much and the beginning of Rear Window, and I still think the both of them are great. Even though I wouldn't rank them in the top of Hitchcock's work. I caught one scene of North By Northwest, too, but I opted not to watch it. Instead I just popped my DVD in the next night, and I watched it in full. I still think it could make the bottom half of my top 10, and still remains my second favorite Hitchcock film. I also watched the Birds on the ride home yesterday, and it's still my third favorite Hitchcock film. I guess I need to go and re-watch Psycho sometime soon which is my favorite Hitchcock film.

All of the other films I watched were on my trip to and from Orlando, and I didn't even watch that many more movies considering I watched Jaws both to and from Orlando. One film I watched coming home yesterday was the Usual Suspects, which I loved a whole lot more this viewing even though I knew the ending this time around. The ending is played out perfectly, if you ask me, and it has a great score to go along with it. I re-watched the French Connection after buying it yesterday, too, and I'm glad I did. I found it a lot more un-interesting with this viewing. The final 20 minutes are still the best part of the movie, but I found everything before it a lot more slower paced this time around. I had this placed pretty high in my top 100, too, and now I probably wouldn't even put it in my top 100. The only other film that I watched all week was Flags of Our Fathers, which was another really good movie from Clint Eastwood. It focused a lot more in real life than I thought it would though, and the effects were pretty crappy, if you ask me. I should have Letters From Iwo Jima from Netflix waiting for me whenever the mail comes today, too. I'm very much looking foward to watching it hopefully sometime tonight.

My official ratings for the week:

Flags of Our Fathers -
+

Jaws -

E.T.: the Extra Terrestrial -

North By Northwest -

The Usual Suspects -
+

The French Connection -

The Birds -
+

Minority Report
Steven Spielberg, 2002

Holy crap, does Spielberg even know how to disappoint someone? Something I've just happened to notice about Spielberg is that he works great with sci-fi films. All of his sci-fi films of his I've seen so far, which is all of them now, have been pretty great. This certainly is no exception, because I absolutely loved it. The best thing about it by far was the final 30 minutes. There are quite a few plot twists the take place during this, all leading up to one hell of an ending. I didn't even know the ending would've been so great either. I've heard people say that this is similar to North By Northwest, which is in my top 10 favorite movies. I saw some similarities, but I didn't see that many, except for the fact that it's about a man on the run from the law.

I think Tom Cruise gets a lot of undeserved hate as an actor, because I don't think I've seen him in a performance so far that I haven't liked. I really loved it, and I'd recomend it to anyone who just enjoys movies. I still think it's pretty underrated, because I almost never hear talk about this, at least compared to Spielberg's other movies.

Just saw The Lives of Others...wow. What a wonderful film. It drew me in right away. A few moments stand out in my mind as being particularly brilliant, yet surprisingly simple. Just an all-around fantastic film.

Funnily enough, it occured to me just while writing this post that the language barrier I had to view it through may have heightened its impact. The subject matter (and a couple of key scenes) are made all the more potent by the serendipitous necessity of subtitles. And more potent still by the real-life experiences of the late Ulrich Muhe (pictured above), who has a special, disturbing connection with the material.

Can't recommend this film enough.