Movie Tab II

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
IMany scenes which further support the character's reasons and behaviors were cut to allow for longer action scenes
This is true, and was an unfortunate decision. I thought the excessive violence that had been added in detracted from the impact of the violence that was in the book. And don't even start on them giving them all apparent super powers...

The conversation between Laurie and Manhattan on Mars was pretty dull , the relationship between Laurie and Dreiberg didn't feel the least bit actual
Yes, although she isn't the most engaging character in the book either, a lot of the emotional impact of that whole Mars scene was lost by skimping on the backstory.

I still don't think it was quite as bad as you seem to, though...

Any thoughts on Wes Craven's Shocker? I saw some screenshots from it recently and I think I might watch it tonight.
I've not seen Shocker since I was fifteen nearly twenty years ago. I was obsessed with the Nightmare on Elm Street movies at the time and seem to remember being a little disappointed (because it was was different and at the time all I wanted was Freddy - please no inuendos on that one). I also remember the main character biting a prison guard's lip off and saying finger licking good. Plus something about him going inside a TV set and running around in old black and white movies. The special effects were pretty impressive...in other words I need to see it again.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched it again recently and it isn't quite as good as I'd hoped for, but it's still fun and YOU, lines, really need to watch Shocker because of the connection to Sherlock, Jr.! HA!

A system of cells interlinked
Well MEaty, you said the film felt cold and detached, which is why I think Snyder nailed it. I feel the novel is certainly quite cold. I think you have a couple of valid points, and I feel your opinion on this flick is at least somewhat studied, as I know you have done your homework, read the material, and watched the flick multiple times.

Alas, I don't think Watchmen is a character study and nothing more. The global issues in the piece are just to prescient to ignore. Yes, the violence is TOO much, but I think Snyder nailed a a significant amount of the conceptual material. FOr a piece that was allegedly unfilmable, I think he did a bang up job.

The flick has problems, but I think they aren't as present as some would claim.

Good posts on the flick though, Meatster. Your film knowledge has progressed quite nicely in the short time you have adopted a serious focus on the medium. You will be far, far beyond what I have learned once you reach my age. It's inspiring, to say the least.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
I sort of thought the violence was alright because they were trying to emphasize that this super hero movie is not for children as they were also doing so in the novel just in different ways. But then again i have a very high gore tolerance.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The only part I found over the top was the number he did on the Pedo's head with the meat clever.

Suspect's Reviews

MovieForums Extra
The Sheik/Son of the Sheik - George Fitzmaurice - 1921 - B

These two were ok. I totally enjoyed Buster Keaton more.

Cowboy - Delmer Daves - 1958 - B-

Let's just say I wasn't overwhelmed.

Apache - Robert Aldrich - 1954 - C-

Not so much.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Touch of Evil (1958, Orson Welles)

5/5

A few years ago, a young and dashingly handsome MoFo (with loads of hair) declared that Touch of Evil was his 10th favourite film. It still is.

My copy of the 50th Anniversary edition arrived this morning so I've only been able to watch the remastered cut (the 'making of doc' is on pause as I type). If you've not seen this masterpiece then shame on you, really.

As with all Noirs, Touch of Evil looks like it's been filmed by a midget in a power cut - this is a good thing. It's positively dripping with quirky menace and has star turns everywhere you look. Heck, even The World's WASPiest Mexican, Chuck 'Charlton' Heston is good here.

And, my, wasn't Janet Leigh a fine lookin' woman?

Leviathan (George P. Cosmatos 1989)

This one of the many underwater sci-fi/horror flicks released in 1989 on the back of James Cameron's The Abyss (including Deep Star Six, Endless Descent, and Lords of the Deep). Slated by critics and fans alike at the time as being just another Alien/The Thing rip off; I've always felt it to be the best of the underwater cash-ins. I considered putting Leviathan in my 80's trash thread but watching it again (for about the fifth time) merely reconfirmed how glossy looking and well made it is.

Essentially the set up is a familiar one. A group of deep sea miners led by Peter Weller stumble across a ship wrecked Russian vessel on the sea bed. Amongst the salvage they recover (including medical files showing the entire crew died of a mysterious disease) is some vodka which, when drunk, turns people into deep sea versions of John Carpenters The Thing...

What Leviathan lacks in originality (which is considerable) it makes up for with a crackerjack B-movie cast, handsome looking production design, and a great score from Jerry Goldsmith. Most notable in the cast are Daniel Stern (almost as funny here as he was in C.H.U.D.), Ernie Hudson from Ghostbusters, and veteran actor Richard Crenna as the doc. I really do like this movie, it's fast paced, has a sense of humor, and decent all be it briefly glimpsed Stan Winston creature effects. If you like creature features, and haven't seen this, give it whirl...it makes a great midnight movie.

Switchblade Sisters (Jack Hill 1974)

Four years before the 'gang movie' cycle made popular by The Warriors and The Wanderers; exploitation director Jack Hill delivered this cheap and cheerful drive-in classic (though it flopped initially). I'd not seen this one before, but read lots of good things about it on various B-movie fan sites and figured I'd give it a go.

Essentially it's your usual warring gang setup with Joanne Nail's feisty Maggie inducted by Lace (Robbie Lee) into the 'Dagger Debs'; an all female subsidiary of 'The Silver Dollars' gang headed by the sullen Dominic (Asher Brauner). At war with the Silver Dollars is a larger rival gang led by Crabs (Chase Newhart) who looks like he just got back from a Bay City Rollers concert. To further complicate things there's a power struggle within the Dagger Debs stirred up by the evil (and imaginatively named) Patch (Monica Gayle)...

I really enjoyed this one. It has woefully cheap production values, and some amusingly spirited overacting (Robbie Lee's performance, and Joanne Nail's final speech are particularly sensational). The build up is a little on the slow side as the real action (including a roller rink shootout, and a shootout involving an all female black gang who team up with the Debs) is mainly confined to the second half of the movie. But the film still remains highly watchable as it's filled with colorful characters, juvenile catty dialogue and some surprisingly well choreographed fights. Plus I actually found myself really rooting for Maggie. Thumbs up for a worthy cult classic.

Truck Turner (Jonathan Kaplan 1974)

Pretty standard blaxploitation bouyed by some nifty camera work, crunching fight choreography and (an underused) Yaphet Kotto as crime boss Harvard Blue.

Hayes is the 'Mack' Truck Turner of the title, a super tough skip tracer who after killing a pimp in self defence; finds himself (along with his partner played by Alan Weeks) targeted by numerous bounty hunters and hit men who've stuck a deal with the pimp's girlfriend Dorinda (Nichelle Nichols).

This is action packed stuff with plenty of fist fights, shootouts and car chases, but it lacks the edgy racial empowerment vibe the best of the genre has to offer, and ultimately amounts to nothing more than a time filler. Hayes is likable enough despite mumbling his way through the movie, and Nichelle Nichols is feisty if a little Pam Grier-esq as the vengeance seeking Dorinda. But the film only really comes alive when Kotto shows up in the final act. It's certainly never boring though, and there are even small roles for Scatman Crothers and B-movie legend Dick Miller, but I'd only really recommend this to Hayes fans, and they've probably already seen it. Funny I thought his soundtrack for this one sounded a little flat which is probably another reason it's not considered a classic.

How to Marry a Millionaire -
+

(Jean Negulesco, 1953)

To this date, I've seen two other Marilyn Monroe films besides this one: Some Like It Hot and The Seven Year Itch, and I loved them both. However, I didn't like How to Marry a Millionaire as much; I felt it fell far short of both the other titles just mentioned.

How to Marry a Millionaire had its funny and clever moments, but the story was mostly uninteresting and the plot was drudgingly slow at points. Although the three lead actresses (Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable, and Lauren Bacall) give charming performances, I found myself--more or less--kinda bored. Especially during the five-minute-long opening which is nothing but an orchestra playing music. I mean, really? I could have done without that; I don't see how it even coincided with the movie. It just seemed like that was thrown in there for no apparent reason.

I still intend on getting my hands on as many other Marilyn Monroe films as I can, but I hope this is one of the worst of the lot.

Young and Innocent -

(Alfred Hitchcock, 1937)

Apparently also known as The Girl Was Young. I liked it a lot; it was very supsenseful and had some excellent performances, particularly by Nova Pilbeam as Erica. My only real gripe with this movie is that, especially considering that this is a Hitchcock film, I expected a bit more of a twist ending. Without giving anything away, the climax was pretty straight-forward and perhaps a bit of a let-down, but everything leading up to it, I found to be very good.

The Prophecy 5: Foresaken -
-

(Joel Soisson, 2005)

Being the final installment of the series, my Prophecy experience is now complete. The first two were by far the best. This one was decent, but probably not worth viewing again anytime relatively soon at all. Lucifer's character and portrayal was chilling like it has been throughout the series and is probably my favorite part of the saga other than Walken's Gabriel, but aside from that, The Prophecy 5 just isn't very memorable.

30 Days of Night -
-

(David Slade, 2007)

Call it a guilty pleasure (I'm not 100% sure of its reputation), but I think this is an excellent movie. There's a review of it sitting on the first page of my review thread, and that helps explain why I hold it in such high regard. However, it was one of my earliest reviews, so perhaps I should write up a new one with greater details. I'd probably consider 30 Days of Night one of my top five all-time favorite vampire movies and perhaps one of my top 150-200 favorite movies, period, so I think it deserves it.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Die Hard 2: Die Harder 3.5 stars
After recent repeated viewings of the original, I thought it was time to watch this one. While still a good movie, I found it fell quite short of the other. As a film on its own, I still give it the same rating. The plot didn't work as well for me, but the acting was dead on. It didn't exactly put me in a rush to watch the third, but a decent use of my time.

A Perfect World 4 stars
I know that most of us don't like Costner here, but I found his performance here to be superb. It's a fairly long movie that doesn't drag, and Eastwood's acting and directing are commendable. The end brought tears to my eyes. There aren't many other important cast roles, but the few are played well. The plot is interesting and even suspenseful at times.

Planet of the Apes 3 stars
A classic indeed, but I myself am not big on sci-fi. It was kind of slow to grab my attention, but things picked up. Charlton Heston's performance was amazing as the lead. I enjoyed the humorous little parts where the monkeys talked about man as though he were so inferior. Truly, a one of a kind flick.

Swing Vote 4 stars
This movie was really funny and had a good message to it. The plot isn't very believable but it's a good story line. Can't say that the performances were remarkable, but they weren't bad. If you're looking for a good comedy and can stand Costner, give this one a try.

On Borrowed Time 4 stars
This little known gem my father tried to find for years. It stars Lionel Barrymore in this classic from the golden year of film. The fairly sentimental story will also make you laugh. I've never seen a storyline like it either. (Some have come close). A really enjoyable little film.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Padre Nuestro (2007) Christopher Zalla

This movie was a complete surprise to me. I don't remember putting it on my queue, or who recommended me to do so. It was billed as a thriller, so I went in expecting that. Not sure why it is billed as such, but as a character study with a fresh and interesting perspective this is a solid little film.

The story line is a little improbable, but is made up for by outstanding performances by all four leads. Especially by Armando Hernandez who plays Juan. He has a pretty tough job to do by making a pretty vile character sympathetic without much screen time to do it in B+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched parts of Le Doulos (1962) and Sword of Doom (1966), but I need to see them wide awake and in their entirety to discuss them. I did see some other films though...

Macario (Roberto Gavaldón, 1960)

Macario is a beautiful Mexican fantasy film which tells the story of a poor woodcutter (Ignacio López Tarso) who on the Day of the Dead decides that he will never eat again because his life is miserable. He has a wife and two kids, but he laments that "we spend a lot more time dead than alive", so when his wife (Pina Pellicer, One-Eyed Jacks) connives a turkey from a neighbor and cooks it for Macario, he decides to take it out into the forest and eat it all by himself, or so he thinks... Macario comes across a tricky Devil, the Lord God Himself and Death, and all three want a piece of turkey. Macario finally allows Death to share some and in return, Macario receives a healing potion which brings him fame and fortune, but alas, he also comes to the attention of the ruling Spanish Inquisator whose son is dying.

Adapted from a B.Traven (The Treasure of the Sierra Madre) novel and photographed in spectacular black-and-white by Gabriel Figueroa (The Pearl, John Ford's The Fugitive, Los olvidados, El, The Exterminating Angel, Night of the Iguana, Under the Volcano), Macario comes off as a cross between a Bergman and a Buñuel film. It is both stark and simple, yet is almost playful in its presentation of Macario's strange circumstances which also take on an almost A Christmas Carol quality. One thing is for certain, at least to me, and that is by the time the film reaches its supercool twist ending, I was just as knocked out this time as I was when I first saw it about 35 years ago.

Electra (Mihalis Kakogiannis, 1962)

A couple of years before he made the smash hit Zorba the Greek, the director of that film made his version of Euripides' classic tragedy for only $30,000 while shooting on classic Greek locations where some of Euripides' plays were first staged. It's one of the most-striking-looking $30,000 films you'll ever see with a powerful performance by Irene Papas as Electra, the daughter of Agamemnon, who returns from the Trojan War only to be murdered by his wife and her lover. Electra and her young brother Orestes (played by Giannis Fertis when older) vow to avenge that death when the time is right and they mature. The film is quite intense and powerful although Kakogiannis actually made a more-intense version of Euripides' prequel Iphigenia (
) in 1977. For anyone who has never seen a Greek Tragedy (with capital letters), these two films are among the very best of their kind.

Les Biches (Claude Chabrol, 1968)
+

One of Chabrol's many enigmatic films, Les Biches (which doesn't mean what you think but rather means "The Does", as in Deers) is something along the lines of a cat-and-mouse game, but it's really more of a hunter-and-the-hunted film, and the mystery is who is it that ultimately catches their prey. The film begins with a rich woman (Stéphane Audran) with the seemingly-masculine name Frédérique picking up a street artist (Jacqueline Sassard) who may or may not be named Why and taking her back to her St. Tropez villa where they begin an affair and share the place with Frédérique's two gay male friends (Henri Attal and Dominique Zardi). Frédérique is an avid hunter and Why is fascinated with drawing does, and all seems quite happy between them until they both fall for architect Paul (Jean-Louis Trintignant). Why starts out with Paul, but Frédérique ends up with him, and he too moves into the villa, and the relationships begin to morph.

It isn't especially difficult to determine what happens in Les Biches, but the "Whys", both the reason and the character, are a bit denser to comprehend. Sarah actually asked me if I thought the film was reminiscent of Persona, and although it didn't strike me that much at the time, I believe that she is on to something there. Good for her.

Che: Part One (Steven Soderbergh, 2008)

You can never accuse Soderbergh of doing anything easy. Last year, he made a four-and-one-half hour epic, based on two autobigraphies of Che Guevara (played excellently by Benicio Del Toro), divided into two parts and released them well-knowing that he could never recoup the investment. Soderbergh also used a fractured storytelling approach which cuts back and forth in time and tone, changing from color to black-and-white, and often making it difficult for the film to gain any momentum or dramatic power. However, mostly due to Del Toro, the film does eventually prove worthy of the time and attention paid to it by the viewer. I have Part Two, but I haven't watched it yet, but I know that it's set in a different locale and uses different cinematic techniques, so we'll see about that one. But Part One is reminiscent at times of Oliver Stone's JFK, Salvador and Platoon, as well as biographies of seemingly-radical figures such as Spike Lee's Malcolm X. Most of the film leaves the storytelling to the mid 1950s-mid 1960s, but there are a few times where the material seems to have been tweaked a bit to relate to our current political situations, involving both Cuba and Venezuela. Once again, I'll have to wait to see what appears in Part Two which is mostly set in Bolivia, but Part One is a somewhat difficult but rewarding watch. I just wish that there were a few less cigars doing some major acting, but that's a minor quibble. I know that Mrs. Darcy and Holden saw the film at the theatre, but did anybody else? You know who you are, you Del Toro lover.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
You know who you are, you Del Toro lover.
Are you talking to me? Oddly enough, I haven't seen this yet, but I really want to. I rarely watch movies these days that I don't get through Netflix. Hopefully, I will get around to buying or borrowing it soon.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
G-Force

G-Force is a specially trained team of guinea pigs, a mole and a fly. They must foil the plans of Saber, a millionaire, who wants to take over the world with these home appliances that ultimately transform into Megatron. Or something along those lines.

I watched this one because it was available in 3-D. My first Disney Digital 3-d film. From the aspect, the kids will enjoy the things that pop out at you. This film has a few of those moments, water, debris and glass. Although it just didn't do it for me. The 3-D in this film didn't enhance the film or astonish me. Thus, it ultimately feels like a gimmick and will until a certain film that is planned to be released in the near future apparently plans to change that. I'm not saying it wasn't well done, I just expected more.

The film is mixed animation and live action. The animation is obviously the rodents and insects, while the cast is formed of Hangover star Zach Galifianakis, Will Arnett and Bill Nighy. Galifianakis is really timid here and Nighy does his whole British thing, while Arnett plays the G-Rated version of an A-hole. Nothing memorable, and the kids won't care about these people. They want to see the funny guinea pigs do funny things. Yet, in the theatre I was in, which was full of kids, had hardly any laughs. That's not to say they won't enjoy themselves, because the film is entertaining. It's just not that great a comedy.

The voice acting is great, Sam Rockwell plays Darwin, the lead commando. Tracy Morgan is Blaster, if anyone has seen him on 30 Rock, it's the same here. Penelope Cruz is the female character, who toys with the boys on which one she likes. Nicolas Cage plays Speckles, the mole who is a tech whiz. In this film if you did not know it was Cage playing this character, you would never know it was him. The voice is so different that is makes you scratch your head, well done on all parts.

The child favourite without a doubt is Hurley, the guinea pig that our team meets in a pet shop. He has a bad case of flatulence and is the 'dumb' friendly character. He gets the most laughs, which like I said, wasn't many. Finally Steve Buscemi has a small role as a hamster and he plays it exactly as you would picture Buscemi to play it. The voice work from everyone was top notch, but if I were to hand it to anyone, it wold be cage for his transformation to the unknown.

The animation is well done, the final action sequence does feel like it comes straight out of transformers, but it looks neat. The interaction between human and creature is still noticeably fake, even after all these years they can't seem to perfect this. Since this is a Bruckheimer film, you know there has to be non-stop action. This involves car chases left right and centre, covert-operations and battles with giant creatures. The film is fuel injected to the bone with this. There are moments here and there to slow everything down, yet they are extremely short and don't seem to do much to create conflict for the characters. When the guinea pigs are told they aren't special, they get doubt themselves, this lasts all but one scene because in the next they get a pep talk and are back to the chase sequences.

The plot is one that we've all seen before. Unlikely heroes stopping someone from world domination. So don't expect anything new in the story department. The reveal at the end is lame and predictable, the whole bad guy plan is extremely far fetched and doesn't make sense. Although if you're expecting this film to make sense I guess you're in the wrong theatre. These are talking guinea pigs after all.

The film is entertaining and the kids will most likely enjoy it. It does seem like a typical Hollywood kid flick and it is exactly that. There's no life lessons learned and by the end of the film your kid will want a new pet.

Welcome to the human race...

Diner (Barry Levinson, 1982) -

Wow, this was excellent. Great acting by everyone involved, combined with a genius script that hit all the right notes and had so many moments that, despite taking place in another country fifty years ago, just rang so true to me. Quite simply a great film and I wish it'd get a DVD release over here sometime soon (especially since a lot of Mickey Rourke's early films are getting re-releases in the wake of The Wrestler).

Top Gun (Tony Scott, 1986) -

This film just bears the unfortunate stigma of being the kind of movie I'd never really want to see at all, but I just put it on to pass the time while waiting for something else to happen. It was hard to take seriously - although I'm not too sure that the makers intended it to be that way. But yeah, not really much to like about this film - predictable romantic subplot, unremarkable acting and character development and the action sequences were a little lame. I guess the highlight was trying to read into the infamous gay subtext the film has acquired over the years, which added all the real humour to the film. But yeah, doubt I'll see this again.

American Movie (Chris Smith, 1999) -

This was certainly an intriguing premise - the story of amateur filmmaker Mark Borchardt and his lengthy quest to make movies with the help of his weird but strangely lovable friends and family - and it manages to be an engaging enough account of Mark's passion for movies (even if the end result - a 40-minute black-and-white no-budget horror film titled Coven - isn't exactly on the same level as other troubled productions like Apocalypse Now or Fitzcarraldo).

Out of the Past (Jacques Tourneur, 1947) -

While it's a real by-the-numbers noir, it's still an enthralling and interesting one to watch. Well-scripted (if a little hard to follow at times) and photographed in black-and-white that sometimes gets a little too black for its own good (or maybe that was the VHS quality), but all in all it was a solid film and I'm probably underrating it.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
La Vie En Rose

Brrrrrrilliant.

During this I laughed, cried like pu$$y and was an emotional wreck by the end of it.

If you haven't seen this movie, or thought it really wasn't for you, you're wrong. Marion Cotillard is so amazing, she really earned her Oscar. She portrays Edith Piaf through out her life, jumping from one point in her life to another. This can be a little jarring sometimes, a good memory is required.

5 Stars

(havent figured out how to do popcorn ratings, cant believe ive been on here for 5 years and havent worked it out yet)

Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince

Amazing people, just amazing. David Yates I love you.

Althought of course some liberties are taken with adaptations, it can't be helped, i thought the main plot and the changes that were made were really well handled.

Of course Yates' way of shooting action and chase sequences is exciting; the way he uses the camera is fantastic and so well suited for Potter.

Cast wise I thought it struck gold again with Jim Broadbent as Professor Slughorn. Narcissa malfoy was well done though I always envisioned her differently. I'm having slight second thoughts about my beloved Helena Bonham carter, I think she just needs more room to strech her legs, something we'll get in the next two i think.

Ginny: I'm not entirely convinced by her. In the books ginny is kind of a badass with a snarky sense of humour. She's a real cracker, but Bonnie Wright's Ginny just doesn't quite cut the mustard. And their romance is a little heavy handed, but ultimately quite sweet.

In terms of plot I was of course a little disappointed that things I was looking forward to seeing weren't included. APPARENTLY I CANT WORK THE SPOILER TAGS EITHER!

There was so much humour in the first half of the movie, some really genuinely funny stuff. Though I though when Harry is high of the luck potion was especially funny.

One thing that annoyed me was that the occassional glance at what Malfoy was doing was a bit tedious at some points.

I loved it, i couldnt help myself.

Once again, I haven't watched as many movies this week due to catching up on all of season 1 of Sons of Anarchy and I started reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Of course though, I still watched quite a bit of movies.

I guess I'll just go ahead and start off with Harry Potter. Watching the Half-Blood Prince last week in theaters, it had me wanting to re-watch some of the rest of the series. I decided to skip the first two, because I don't remember liking them all that much. You know, for the longest time, I always thought that I didn't like Order of the Phoenix at all, but re-watching this week had me loving it a lot. It was a hell of lot better than I had remembered it being, but then again, I had only seen it once before, and that was back when it was out in theaters in 2007. The ending is definitely the most stand-out part, having one of the greatest movie climax's ever. The only thing I didn't like about it was Umbridge, I completely hate her as a character. I think if she wasn't in the movie, my score may actually be a bit higher. Prisoner of Azkaban is my second favorite of the series. I always hear that it's the most faithful adaption of the series, but I honestly can barely remember the book at all. I watched Goblet of Fire as well, and I didn't like it as much as I remember, but I still thought it was pretty good. I'll have to buy Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix sometime, because I already own Prisoner of Azkaban.

Watching those three of the series got me hooked yet again on Gary Oldman. He's pretty much easily the greatest living actor out there, and needs to take on some more roles. At least lately he's been getting himself known by people over the past few years by chosing big movies, like the Harry Potter movies or Nolan's two Batman films. His greatest role though, still remains to be as Stansfield in Leon. I watched that earlier this week, and I still love it just as much as I remember. It definitely deserves its spot in my top 10. It seemed to go by a whole hell of a lot faster this time though, I guess because I already knew what was coming the whole way through. I watched some of his earlier roles as well, like in State of Grace. The movie itself isn't all that impressive, but Oldman does a great job in it no doubt. I actually liked it myself, but it's not a film that I would go watch over and over again. Sean Penn was in it as well, and that's a plus because he's on my favorite actor list as well. Ed Harris, too, even though I don't like him nearly as much as the other two. They all did pretty good jobs, but Oldman was the one that stood-out to me the most. Lastly of his movies, I finally got around to watching True Romance as well. His role was short, but damn good at that. Truly his funniest role so far, with him trying to act like a gangster during his whole role. The movie itself was pretty good as well.

The other few movies I watched were ones that I had been waiting to for awhile, like the Sting. With me being such a big fan of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, I was surprised it took me so long to get around to it. I can definitely say that it doesn't even compare with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in the slighest. It was still pretty great, though. The ending was definitely the most stand-out part to me. I wouldn't mind getting around to buying it sometime soon. Tonight I watched the Dirty Dozen finally, too. It was pretty great as well, and I would probably rank it among my top 5 favorite war films. My favorite part in the movie had to be the WarGames part, truly hilarious. I also bought and watched the director's cut of Watchmen this week. I wasn't too big of a fan of the theatrical cut, but the director's cut did improve some. Like the pacing issue that I had with it, it seemed to be gone completely. Hollis Mason's death scene was the most beautiful scene in the movie by far, but my favorite scene still remains the Comedian's fight/death scene. A very well-made scene, if you ask me.

My official ratings for the week:

The Sting (1973) -

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) -
+

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) -
+

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) -
+

Watchmen: Director's Cut (2009) -

Leon (1994) -

State of Grace (1990) -

True Romance (1993) -