The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I have seen Gaslight!
So first one I've actually seen.
Um, enjoyable. Good to see just or know where the term, "gaslighting," comes from.
Oh. Oops!

Just checked my ballot. Number 21 on my ballot, I think (I had one ineligible, so everything shifted up one I believe).

When we get down ticket on my ballot, I'm going to forget some of the ones I put on there.

Like I said, before. Enjoyable.

A system of cells interlinked
0/6 for me so far!! I really need to watch more noirs!

Joe Macbeth is OK. Overall I'll take Men of Respect (1991), which similarly reworks the Shakespeare tale with mobsters.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If you didn't save your ballot...I do have a copy of everyone's ballots and can message them back to you...Also a copy of your ballots are probably in your Sent folder, take a look there.

#94 Body and Soul (1947)

Director: Robert Rossen
Production: United Artist
Cast: John Garfield, Lilli Palmer, William Conrad
24 Points, 3 Lists

'A talented boxer's young career hits difficult terrain when an unethical promoter takes interest in him.'

#93 Mystery Street (1950)

Director: John Sturges
Production: MGM
Cast: Ricardo Montalban, Elsa Lanchester, Marshall Thompson
25 Points, 2 Lists

'A small-town policeman is assisted by a Harvard professor after the discovery of a human skeleton on a Massachusetts beach.'

I've seen Body and Soul and thought it had good cinematography and fine performances, but it didn't make my ballot. I haven't seen Mystery Street and haven't heard much about it at all.

Seen: 7/8

Ha! what are the odds?? Two Robert Rossen films in both countdowns.

Body and Soul is great and was very close to making my list, I have it at #31.
Ultimately chose another Film-Noir starring John Garfield and another boxing related Film-Noir.

SEEN 2/8
BALLOT 0/25
John-Connor's Film-Noir Top 50:  

Ha! what are the odds?? Two Robert Rossen films in both countdowns.
I just now checked out Robert Rosssen's directorial films on IMDB...he didn't make many but looks like he made some fun ones. I'll have to check out more of his work. I did see he made three film noirs:

I just now checked out Robert Rossen's directorial films on IMDB...he didn't make many...
Rossen was infamously blacklisted during the McCarthy era and, like Elia Kazan, eventually he more infamously named names, burning a lot of bridges. He died early at the age of 57.

Rossen was infamously blacklisted during the McCarthy era and, like Elia Kazan, eventually he more infamously named names, burning a lot of bridges. He died early at the age of 57.
Thanks Holden....I guess that's why his film directorial career is so short.

Finally one that I watched. Mystery Street was
WARNING: spoilers below
on my ballot. Ricardo Montalban deserved some love so I had to choose between it and Border Incident. Same with The Crimson Kimono and House of Bamboo. Both Samuel Fuller films with a firm grounding in Japanese culture. Went with HoB as my
WARNING: spoilers below
#25.

I haven't seen either of them!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."