Sin City - to buy or not to buy?

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I am wondering whether to buy Sin City when it comes out on dvd, or wait in case they release a special edition. What are you going to do?

It's like the Kill Bills, a special edition was promised, yet i still got the initial DVD releases. Just as well as there's still no special edition Kill Bill out. In regards to Sin City, i'll probably wait a few weeks to see if a new edition is likely to be confirmed. After a month or so, if no new, me buy. Need to make sure i don't wait too long and miss all the good sleeves as well.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Need to make sure i don't wait too long and miss all the good sleeves as well.
This is the one I'll be getting, Rosario looks good enough to eat... Yum, and indeed, yum.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	sincityslipc.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	5081  

There is most definitely a SE of SIN CITY coming, with longer versions of each story and the ability to watch them as three separate flicks. But while a release date hasn't been announced yet, I'm sure it'll be closer to Christmas.

As much as I loved the movie, I'm gonna wait for that one.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Can we try with real bullets now?
Originally Posted by Holden Pike

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
There is most definitely a SE of SIN CITY coming, with longer versions of each story and the ability to watch them as three separate flicks. But while a release date hasn't been announced yet, I'm sure it'll be closer to Christmas.

I agree 100%
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

I just know they're coming to kill me.

I'm a big fan of the movie, and recieved the DVD as a present from my father. When Christmas time comes, I'll probably fork up some cash or maybe even spend some Christmas money for the SE. So, from my standpoint, the current DVD is somewhat of a let down- no special features other than a Behind-the-Scenes featurette, which runs for about 7 minutes. As soon as I put the DVD in, it only took me a matter of 5 seconds to realize that they'd have to put out a SE, which would, out of other neato stuff, most likely contain some commentaries and trailers. Obviously, Dimension knew that fools like us would still buy the film despite no SE simply for the fact to see the film itself again, and they also know that when the release the SE, they'll bring in the money from the people like Pike who waited and the people like me who are big fans of the film itself, despite the fact that they already own it. (Look at the SE release of the LOTR and you'll see my point)

EDIT:

Courtesy of jrs... SE DVD Details

Sin City
I have an update for ya' on the 'Sin City Special Edition' DVD...

According to a very reliable source that wished to remain anonymous Rope of Silicon has learned that the Special Edition release of the Sin City DVD should be hitting shelves in December, and to quote the source, "They are releasing it for Christmas sales."

A while back at, Robert Rodriguez spoke to Rope of Silicon told at the Sin City press junket:

"We shot the full stories of the books, and I knew we could truncate it down, knowing that we weren't going to lose any scenes; eventually they would all be available for people to see," Rodriguez said. "So the DVD will come out with the theatrical cut, and then there'll be a separate disc that's got the individual episodes separated with their own title card, and you can just watch 'The Big Fat Kill' from beginning to end, in the full cut as a single story, and then switch over and watch 'That Yellow Bastard' and that's 45 minutes. It'll have all the material back in. So it'll be like the experience of picking up the book, where you pick up one story and you read it from beginning to end. And it'll have all the material in it. You can shuffle your own version of the movie and just watch them all separately."

For the full article click here.

Source: Rope of Silicon

I'm sure it'll be closer to Christmas.

A system of cells interlinked
Here is the full interview that is quoted in the article JRS posted. Rodriguez makes it pretty clear that this disc was released for anti-piracy reasons only. It has zero extras, and he makes it quite clear that the SE is definitely the one to buy. I will be waiting for that.

Rodriguez Interview

I'll be buying it for two reasons:

Jessica Alba

AND

Brittany Murphy

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Jasons_Mask

Jessica Alba

AND

Brittany Murphy
Is that it though, really? This film broke so much ground and took so many chances...I think there are about 500 better reasons to buy this film! Not that I don;t mind that these two are in the film, of course, but I just don't see them as reasons to eschew all the special features, as well as the final longer cut these directors/creators wanted us to see....

But, to each his own. I just can't wait for the slick commentary tracks by Rodriguez and Frank Miller!

I saw this sitting on the shelf at Walmart and it was calling out to me for $15.99. I was going to wait, but I crumbled. I am glad I did, I love this movie. I will of course be getting the SE when it comes out also.

*slobber-smack*

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Jasons_Mask

Jessica Alba

AND

Brittany Murphy
....hey, you missed out the girl that played Lucille, another good reason, surely

sin city is the best movie, and the most well read movie i have seen in years after pulp fiction. i would definately buy that movie. im going to ask for it once i get to iraq next month

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Personally, I'm gonna wait for the special edition due out in Britain in December.
I loved Sin City, and have so far managed to resist the temptation to rush out and buy it, purely because I loathe the fact that the film companies keep releasing different versions of films, personally I'm always intrested in DVD extras, especially director's cut and commentaries.
Roll on december!!!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Personally, I'm gonna wait for the special edition due out in Britain in December.
I loved Sin City, and have so far managed to resist the temptation to rush out and buy it, purely because I loathe the fact that the film companies keep releasing different versions of films, personally I'm always intrested in DVD extras, especially director's cut and commentaries.
Roll on december!!!
I love the movie and bought the DVD edition, however it is a waste of money as the special features are non-existent.

So wait for the new version!

Dan