The Hobbit

Tools    

Aye, though that's the kind of fiddlin' I'm okay with. Particularly with characters like Legolas, who don't age anyway. In fact, if anything it'd be kind of weird not to include him, since they stop at Rivendell anyway. Wanna bet that Galadriel happens to be visiting when they do?

I just hope they make it all make sense without drastically altering the story. I have faith in Jackson, though.

Aye. Two filmmakers I trust implicitly even when something they're doing sounds impossible: Peter Jackson and Christopher Nolan. They've both earned it, with room to spare.

In the Beginning...
That just seems weird to read since The Hobbit takes place decades before LOTR, and was written first, and only a few of the same characters (Bilbo, Gandalf, Gollum) even appear in the story. Not to argue the sentiment - just sayin'.
Oh sorry, I actually meant the crew... people like Dan Hennah, Ann Maskrey, Richard Taylor. And John Howe and Alan Lee both returned as concept artists, etc. The original trilogy was more the product of the crew than anyone, and I'm glad to see so many integral people back working on the new films.

As for the cast, I do agree that putting characters into the film who weren't actually in The Hobbit is weird, except when you consider that they'll want non-fan audiences to recognize familiar characters so they can make the link to the trilogy (especially when they've cast a new Bilbo).

But I think it'll work out fine. Some people are still sour about Arwen popping up at the Ford, but Jackson handled it well and her appearance doesn't terribly undermind Tolkien's intentions. And realistically, the ones who aren't in the book (Legolas, Frodo, Saruman, Galadriel) are all supposed to be old enough that the earlier time period will matter little. Not to mention, the films are intended to bridge The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, so I guess it would make sense that some of those same characters would appear. Now, whether or not the completely new material they're inventing will fly is another issue entirely...

In the end, though, I've got plenty of faith in Jackson et al and, selfishly, it's nice to see some of the old cast return. Especially Ian Holm, who played Bilbo so well that it wouldn't be right for him to be absent from The Hobbit.

Well said Sleezy. "I'm wit choo."

After watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I have been looking forward to see a movie which is worth watching because as many of you know these days most films are useless.And making a good film takes such a lot time. I had the chance to look at the trailer. It looks amazing.

In the Beginning...
First Photos of Martin Freeman as Bilbo and Ian McKellen as Gandalf

From EW.com. You can see some of the dwarves, too. I wonder if that center dwarf is Thorin...

EDIT: Yep, I do believe that's Richard Armitage.

A system of cells interlinked
AI have been looking forward to see a movie which is worth watching because as many of you know these days most films are useless.
Except that most films aren't useless. Sorry, that's a silly claim.

In the Beginning...
Part of me feels like a reference like that would be hilarious.

As serious as the LOTR trilogy was (for the most part), honestly I'm curious how Pete Jackson is handling such a silly story this time 'round with so many dwarves. I'm not really digging all of the designs so far, but I do like how Gloin there borrows MANY noticeable elements from his son, Gimli.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission

As serious as the LOTR trilogy was (for the most part), honestly I'm curious how Pete Jackson is handling such a silly story this time 'round with so many dwarves. I'm not really digging all of the designs so far, but I do like how Gloin there borrows MANY noticeable elements from his son, Gimli.
Aww man, don't be talkin' smack about the dwarves! Trust in Peter Jackson, my friend..."The Hobbit" WILL be awesome.

In the Beginning...
Oh, don't get me wrong. I love The Hobbit and can't WAIT for the films (and I have complete and utter faith in Pete Jackson). I guess I expected dwarves more akin to Gimli and the ones featured in the LOTR prologue, but now that I think about it, these dwarves would need to look noticeably different in order for people to tell them apart.

Though outside of Thorin, I never made much effort to tell them apart in the book.