The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That game's shaping up for top two or three on my GOTY list and has quietly gone from 'best Hitman since Blood Money' to 'best Hitman, full stop'.
Cool, very glad to hear that. I've been hearing about the Hitman games for a long time and it sounds like this latest incarnation is finally what I've been hoping for. On paper it's got everything I love: emergent gameplay, multiple ways to achieve a goal, sprawling areas, and a lot of time to setup plans and then execute them.

I downloaded the little sniper mini-game they released years ago, and it was fun (though obviously short and meant to be replayed a handful of times). Because these are in little digestible chunks, good chance I'll squeeze an episode or two in while playing some of the time sink games I mentioned. Will be sure to check back in when I give it a go.

I think I bought Blood Money on sale, too. But maybe I'll only give that a go if I really like the new one.

What are you running for a vid card now, Chris?
Still this GTX 960, which I bought about a year and a half ago. No real issues, or at least, no issues that someone like me (who admittedly doesn't care much for framerate unless it's particularly bad) would care much about.

I've had some lag with XCOM 2, but that seems to be mostly relegated to situations where it's clearly processing a lot of stuff (in-between turns, loading a giant list of saves), and not really graphics-related.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I think I bought Blood Money on sale, too. But maybe I'll only give that a go if I really like the new one.
I tried going back to Blood Money and found it very clunky and dated compared to the new game.

@seds - The bang-for-your-buck card right now seems to be either the Nvidia 1060 or the AMD 480, both of which should enable you to run everything on the market at 1080p/60fps/Ultra settings. Everything apart from fallout 4, natch - Apparently even NASA have given up trying to get a constant 60 out of it.

Playstation+ Newz!

This month sees Rebel Galaxy going free on PS4. It's a game I bought on Steam but bounced off pretty hard because, at the time, there was only room for one space sim in my life. I'm looking forward to getting back to it - Think Freelancer with slide guitars.

There's also Tricky Towers, which seems to be a competitive game in the mould of the legendary Tetris Battle Gaiden.

PS3 has Yakuza 5, which has been in my backlog for months, and Retro/Grade.

All platforms get Ultratron, which is a brilliant little twin stick shooter.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Picked up Uncharted 4. Hoping for a great send-off for a great series.

- Ten chapters in.

Suspect's Reviews

The Adventure Starts Here!
Still this GTX 960, which I bought about a year and a half ago. No real issues, or at least, no issues that someone like me (who admittedly doesn't care much for framerate unless it's particularly bad) would care much about.

I've had some lag with XCOM 2, but that seems to be mostly relegated to situations where it's clearly processing a lot of stuff (in-between turns, loading a giant list of saves), and not really graphics-related.
I have the 4GB version of that card and I'm hoping that it serves me well when Obduction hits the streets later this month!

Picked up Uncharted 4. Hoping for a great send-off for a great series.

- Ten chapters in.
Time to play 20 questions.

Time to play 20 questions.
Did you notice anything different about the writing in Uncharted 4? I'm only saying this because the lead writer of the first 3 games, Any Hennig, has left Naughty Dog to head up the imaginatively named 'Untitled Star Wars Game' for Visceral.

The Last Of Us writers are responsible for Uncharted 4, I think.

I've still not played any of TLOU Remastered. Apart from Uncharted 2, Naughty Dog games just haven't clicked with me.

Something which has most certainly clicked is Dead Rising 3! One of the main things which I didn't like about the first two games (and a big reason why I hate any game with a hunger or thirst meter) was the countdown timer being a central game mechanic, and I hate those. So far anyway, there's a lot more room for exploration in DR3.

It's kinda Saints Row-ish in its OTT silliness but the weapon blueprints are coming thick and fast so it's not started to grate on me yet.

EDIT - £9.99 (75% off) on Gamesplanet, by the way. That's where I got it after failing to heed a couple of friends who told me to dive in at that price in the last Steam sale.

Which do you think is the best in the series? I prefer Among Thieves (the 2nd one) myself.
Birds of a feather! Lazarevic, set pieces, stories....fun. Hands down my fav. The tank in the village, the train fight, the chintamanti(?) and I could go on.

@ Mr. T.

I have thought about the Hennig angle. I don't know. I just didn't feel the magic in the 4th one.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Oo, Abzu is out on PC, and 20% off at launch

Snapped it up as some NMS vibe tideover, even though it's linear, and very short. Looks like a chilled little world to dip into.

It's basically a wet Journey. Same art designer, too.

Well, I can safely name 2016's 2014 game of the year as Dead Rising 3!

The beauty of the first two games were the combo weapons and DR3 knows this - Every safehouse you own now has infinite spawns of every combo weapon you've made to that point.

What do you get if you cross a steamroller with a motorbike?

This!

The PC port isn't brilliant but playable enough. Everything's locked to 30fps and while it's easily fixed, 60 and above seems to make the gun firing animation bug out to the extent that I initially thought my controller had broken.

I have no idea who Terry Crews is, but this series of videos is really endearing.

Well, as endearing as a rich man spending his money can be.

The other day I bought a game, I think it's the second one for PC since CSGO. And with another day I mean weeks, Overwatch, I saw the trailer 4 years ago and signed for the beta, I didn't receive anything not so surprise, and I couldn't play it those days it was free because of exams. I can't stopp playing it with my friends and now I love how the game updated and add a new character and the Summer Games event, gotta love this game. Anyway I wanted to know if anyone else plays this wonderful game and say how much much MUCH I like it now that I finally have it. Seriously it was torture when I didn't, every youtuber ever played it! it was really ironic.

I want this skin before it disappears!

Oo, Abzu is out on PC, and 20% off at launch

Snapped it up as some NMS vibe tideover, even though it's linear, and very short. Looks like a chilled little world to dip into.
Have you tried it yet?

Man, Abzu's beautiful. It's got significant echoes of both Journey and Flower but that's fine by me - Journey's in my top 2 (number one if I'm in a good mood) of my games of last generation and Flower probably hits the top 10.

Utterly beguiling.

I had half a mind to buy it on console to wallow in the big-screen, surround sound-iness of it all but the PC version has one thing the PS4's lacks - You can set fish to Ultra!

The closest thing I'd compare it to on PC is Proteus.

There's also not a discount on PSN although I can see myself buying it there when it's a fiver.

#ultrafish

there's a frog in my snake oil
I'm out in the wilds, swinging around on the last vestiges of my roaming access, but hope to dive in next week

(Hooked up to the TV, before the Mrs undoes all my cable purchasing by rearranging tbe room )

Want to buy a nearly new Steam controller, then?

I'll only let it go for what I think it's worth.... £1?

50p and I'll pay postage? ... and I'll make a donation to the charity of your choice.

Help!

Finished Abzu.

True to form with the other Matt Navas games I've played, I had to sit there for a moment contemplating life. Abzu is a stunning game and while not quite as memorable and affecting as Journey, it'll live long in my memory.

For those of you thinking "Is this for me?", you're predominantly exploring along an expansive, but linear, path. There are collectables and some light puzzle solving but you're mainly there for the feels, man.

You also get to rescue loads of fish.

I could spend all day posting screenshots but that'd be spoiler-y so I'll leave you with just the one, which is now my desktop wallpaper:

And the music? Austin Wintory's (Journey, Banner Saga 1 & 2, AC Syndicate) score is almost as memorable as the gameplay.

Sir David Attenborough is listed in the credits. I'll leave that there.

Gonna bump the Columnae Kickstarter I mentioned awhile back. I backed it and it seemed well on its way to funding, but I think it got a lot of donations at launch and has really slowed since. Just a few days left.

Pretty cheap to back at a level that gets you a copy of the game. Thinking of upping my pledge a bit to help; here's hoping it makes a big push before the deadline.

Gonna bump the Columnae Kickstarter I mentioned awhile back. I backed it and it seemed well on its way to funding, but I think it got a lot of donations at launch and has really slowed since. Just a few days left.

Pretty cheap to back at a level that gets you a copy of the game. Thinking of upping my pledge a bit to help; here's hoping it makes a big push before the deadline.
What happens to the money if they don't meet their goal?