Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Spy (2015)

Quite surprised how enjoyable this was. Jason Statham was hilarious and stole the show. Strong lead performance by McCarthy also. Great comedy film that's worth a watch.

I have to return some videotapes.
A top 5 performance from Bale, Cole? Just curious what would the other four be? I personally would only have American Psycho ahead (possibly equal) of it.
It's probably top 3 for me, but I'd say American Psycho is ahead of it, and i'd put it on the level of his performance in Harsh Times and right above American Hustle. I still need to see The Machinist. I've heard how it's one of his best performances as well, but it just looks so disgusting.

The Big Sleep

+

All the great noir elements are here: Bogey being Bogey, a strong atmosphere, ice-cold dames, shady characters, and a whole lot of razor sharp one-liners.

One problem though...my Blu-Ray player kept freezing.

I enjoyed the film a lot, I just need to see it again without any interruptions. Every 15-minutes the disc froze and I had to power off the system and rewind. Hella frustrating.
This has been piquing my interest for quite some time now. I've heard it's very convoluted plot-wise - impenetrable, almost. I need to get around to it sometime.

The Wonderful Country (1959)

+

From the top 100 Westerns list, despite only having a 6.3 rating on IMDb. I thought it was average to mediocre with Robert Mitchum using a distracting Spanish accent. One highlight was a cameo by baseball legend Satchel Paige.

Unregistered User
Babette's Feast (1987) -

Dumb and Dumber Too (2014) -

Lovelace (2013) -

Invictus (2009) -

Road House (1989) -

This Boy's Life (1993) -
+
The Drop (2014) -

The Interview (2014) -

A Shot in the Dark (1964) -
+
The Odessa File (1974) -

Pretty in Pink (1968) -
+
Death Sentence (2007) -
+
Cronos (1993) -

It appears you've made a terrible mistake with your rating for Road House, SL. You are going to feel silly once you notice.

Compliance (2012) - Craig Zobel

After a point of time I was thinking it was kind of impossible for one not to be able to guess that it was not a police procedure at all and that the film was losing it's balance...but then, in the end, it kind of fits. The film is about how far we can go if the authority commands us even if we know that what we are doing is terribly wrong...it's a very convenient picture of a vague, valueless and scared society...

8.5 out of 10

The Spanish Prisoner (1997) - David Mamet

A film of tricks...very businesslike in making and keeps you hooked on once the story gets kicked...

7.5 out of 10

Interrogation (1989) - Ryszard Bugajski

A very grim and dark film about interrogation process in communist Poland of the 50's...this is brilliant, just too good

9 out of 10

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Steel Helmet

Essential cinema. So glad to see a war film that isn't a jingoistic exercise in patriotism (i.e. Saving Private Ryan). Or one that demonizes one-side and presents the other in a perpetual state of victimhood (i.e. Come and See).

Hector and the search for Happiness (2014)

First movie that has made me cry in a long time. Such a great feel good movie. Simon Pegg is great as he always is. Rosamund Pike was great was well, and the rest of the supporting cast was great as well. I can't believe the rating this has on Rotten Tomatoes.

Hercules (1997)
rewatch

Somehow this film seems to represent a strong change in Disney, breaking the chains of traditions and tales of formality

'Hercules' is a rather fast-paced turn-around for the studio, delivering entertainment as we know they can, but it feels more free and alive, like Disney truly believes they can go the distance without falling victim to their own superiorism. Honestly, they succeeded quite well...

The traditional old school musical numbers have been switched out for some up-tempo gospel-inspired songs combined with pop-infused solo numbers. It can throw you off if you expect classic Disney and personally I'm not sure how I feel about the forced narration in the gospel songs and the black mama group appearing out of nowhere at times - but mostly it's acceptable and sometimes even great. I definitely don't mind the turn towards more mainstream pop, since they combine the classic sound with new tones and songs like 'Go the Distance' (despite slightly cheesy) and my favorite 'I won't say I'm in Love' are both great and I accept them with open arms. Of course, the new sound is not completely new, but this movie seems to make it rock solid.

The animation is fun and I admire the "curly designs" they went with, which are different but not perfect. The characters are typically underdeveloped, but all very likeable and I'm surprised at how memorable they all were in the end. Meg is the ultimate femme fetale for Disney and the most strong and "macho" women Disney has ever made if you know what I mean. Also, she's sexy as hell! And oh my (under)God, James Woods does a "Robin Williams" and completely changes the previously envisioned character made by Disney, who was supposed to be slow and menacing, and completely makes the character his own by giving him extreme anger mangement issues, which are nicely visualized, and a great sense of humor and screen presence. Some say Disney "ruined" Hades and the greek mythology with this movie, but hey, how about you take a look back, huh? Disney is rarely true to the source, they let them inspire and I think 'Hercules' turned out just fine.

I don't know how i feel about the heavy use of CGI on the dragon monster, but I'm glad it didn't stick throughout the film, which was mostly traditional 2D also for the other monsters... Oh, and by the way, am I the only one creeped out every time they "cut the life line" of a human? The symbolism is so obvious and direct that I can't help but feel the cut like it was my own heartstring. Ewwwww I say! Talking about death and cut life lines, I really like the ending. I don't refer to the bloated monster battles, but the actual ending with Hercules on an emotional breaking point. So good in my opinion! I'm also glad I liked this movie this time, since my last rewatch (first since childhood) didn't hold up. Thankfully I found the love for it again...

+

Hercules (1997)
rewatch

Somehow this film seems to represent a strong change in Disney, breaking the chains of traditions and tales of formality
Great review! I think Hercules is rather underrated among the Disney classics.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I Vitelloni - 7/10

Fine film. Second time watching, this time on the TV, not on a laptop. I saw a film already today, so I wanted to put something I saw already, so I wouldn't have to be so serious. After an hour, my eyes weren't glued to the screen to read the subtitles, as the internet has become a distraction for me.

I love how he leaves the woman he met at the theater.

Early on, when Moraldo tells the kid he meets on the street at 3am "Hey" and then says "Forget it" - did you think what I thought? I think he wanted to ask "Would they hire me" but felt quick shame because he was unemployed while the young boy was working the graveyard shift. He has a sheepish look of embarrassment too.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990): 4/10 - Acting, story, dialogue, and action scenes were mediocre, but the Ninja Turtle and Splinter were well-made (no doubt thanks to the expertise of Jim Henson).

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze: 2/10 - Everything got worse with this movie compared to the first one, and the new suits for the Ooze monsters working for the Foot Clan didn't look that great. This makes me worry for next week, when I review the third film.