Movie Tab II

Tools    

Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954) (Rewatch)

Victor Mature and Jay Robinson reprise their respective roles as Demetrius and Caligula in this sequel to The Robe. Also returning to the screen is all the camp and cheese from the original. Even Susan Hayward hams it up as Messalina, wife of Caligula's uncle Claudius and love interest to Mature's Demetrius. Not quite as funny as The Robe, but this movie holds a special place for me because it is the first Victor Mature movie I ever saw and began my love for the swords-and-sandals epic.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Had a Peter Jackson triple feature tonight with 4 other friends, two of them having no idea what they were about to watch.

Bad Taste

Meet The Feebles

Dead Alive

Suspect's Reviews

The Red Shoes

Having caught the last half hour on TV, I finally watched the whole thing, and loved it. The colour is extraordinary, the dance sequence is wonderful and not boring as I feared it might be. Based on Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale, this is a dark dreamlike film (5/5)

A Star is Born

Although I really liked the story of the film, the dance numbers and songs apart from The Man That Got Away went on for far too long, and could have done with trimming. There is also a large part which is just stills because they didn't have the visual footage, which jarred it a bit. Too much Judy Garland (although she is very good) and not enough James Mason. Such a sad last line! (3/5)

Rebecca

Still really creepy. Hitchcock really was good at suspense and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the film, especially with such great leads. Probably not the best thing to watch if you're going to marry an older man... (4.5/5)

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -

(Michel Gondry, 2004)

My initial viewing and this rewatch are enough to make me realize that I just don't care for this film, after having finally given it a second chance. The story is okay and the performances are really good (loved Kate Winslet), but I never really managed to get into the movie's bizzare plot. Especially towards the late middle of the film, things just get way too freaky.

Mark's talked about Eternal Sunshine before (he doesn't care for it much, either), and I agree with most of the points he's brought forth about it. Oh well; this is just one of them otherwise immensely popular films that I plain old just don't like.
I didn't care for it much either Dom.
Add me to the list... I never could really get into that one either...
I feel a bit better, then. Not that I really felt bad about not liking it, but...you know. :P
Haters!

Sign me up.

As soon as the van pulled up, the film ended.

Jim Carrey is horribly mis-cast.

Has anyone mentioned that the plot is similar to Random Harvest?

I've never seen an in-the-middle opinion for Eternal Sunshine yet, either people love it or hate it. I have yet to see the film, but it is on my list. With the mixture of opinions, I am suddenly intrigued.

Banned from Hollywood.
Funny Games (2008)- loved it (4/5)

The Fountain (2006) - had higher expectations, but overall a fine movie (3/5)

Ellie Parker (2005) - this was good, big fan of Naomi Watts (love this woman) (3/5)

Pouic Pouic (1963) -louis de funes movie, so-so (2/5)

Le Corniaud (1965)- another de funes starring movie- this one was great! (4/5) (but i'm sure it'll rise up to a 5 if i see it a couple more times)

Pecker (1998)

I was in the mood for a good comedy with oddball characters and figured I'd give this John Waters film a try. Well, I got the oddball characters I was looking for (and Waters' usual high WTF factor) but I didn't so much as a crack a smile the entire movie. It just wasn't funny.

What a disappointment.

Banned from Hollywood.
Yeah Pecker was quite average, i do however like Furlong...maybe not the most consistent of actors but there's something about him that will make me want to watch a movie he's in, even if it's crap.

Yeah Pecker was quite average, i do however like Furlong...maybe not the most consistent of actors but there's something about him that will make me want to watch a movie he's in, even if it's crap.
I can't say I really have an opinion of him. Before viewing Pecker, I'd only seen him in Terminator 2 and American History X.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Two for the Road

It was a great last night of summer flick for me. It was a fun movie, but also tells the tale of a deep love story between the two. I wish I could've given this one its own entry. The acting is very good, but I didn't care too much for Albert Finney's character. I found the script and the plot to be quite orginal, so I really liked this one. I think it will be even better on repeated watches.

City Heat

While the two big name actors that starred were pretty good and there were a few laughs spread throughout, this film couldn't really hold my attention. One of those, sounds too good to be true kind of movies. If you can find something else to watch, watch that.

The Terminator

A piece of movie history, it is easy to see why this film gathers so many fans. The characters are great with loads of memorable scenes. Arnold has never been better, and the supporting cast turns in great ones as well. This is the type of movie that makes you love movies for all the fun of them!

Curly Sue

I recalled watching this film when I was very young and loving it, so I was excited to see it again. Alisan Porter is adorable as the smart and sweet Sue, and Belushi is great as her "father". The two make a great pair with good script. The plot isn't one you see everyday though it's probably been done before. A good one to watch with the family.

Harper

This is going on my "to buy" list. It's one of Paul Newman's classic H movies. He is perfect as the clever and witty detective Harper. The supporting cast is great. The screenplay is very well written as it had a mystery that kept me guessing and plenty of wit.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Freaks

Barely remember watching this when i was little, and have been wanting to watch it again for quite some time. Overall I really liked it. Didnt love it, but really liked it. Disturbing, touching, and entertaining. I must admit the ending didnt sit well with me. Not what happened, but the transitions and the dialogue seemed a bit lazy and...not good. Later I was watching some of the special features and I guess a lot of people felt that way. There had been numerous different releases, all with differet endings. I think there were 4, and these were on the dvd. None of them were very good in my opinion...

The Beach (2000)

This turned out to be a really fascinating and engaging movie about people's desire to escape the mundane and the lengths they are willing to go to to achieve that escape. Well acted by all involved and full of breathtaking visuals, this movie is itself a great form of escapism and a very entertaining watch.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Queen of Hearts (Jon Amiel, 1989)

Read this.

Third Man on the Mountain (Ken Annakin, 1959)
+

Realistic, suspenseful Disney flick about a young man (James MacArthur) who wants to climb the Citadel (think the Matterhorn), a dangerous mountain in the Swiss Alps. Various friends, family members and visiting climbers try to go with the boy or try to keep him from climbing. This was made back when Disney was making solid family entertainment almost every time out, and this one ranks with the concurrent Swiss Family Robinson and Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

Tyson (James Toback, 2008)

I discussed this at the Movie Club.

[•rec] (Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza)

Pretty scary subjective video camera tale works better than most such films but highlights part of the problem with the "genre". This time a late night TV show interviews and travels with a firetruck when it goes on what turns out to be a deadly call. The entire film is seen from the videocam perspective. One of the flaws with these type of films is that even though they're mostly around 80 minutes long, they're still overlong, and partly it's because they have difficulty in building any kind of character development. So whenever things aren't scary, they tend to get rather boring. This one gets pretty scary, especially near the end, but then there is only one way these films can scare you, and that's to have something come at you from out of nowhere or the dark, so once again, that lessens just how scary the film can be because with only one camera, the "thing" can only come from one place.

The Lion Has Wings (Adrien Brunel, Brian Desmond Hurst & Michael Powell, 1939)

Outrageously hokey propaganda flick has a couple of very good action scenes utilizing Ralph Richardson and his Special Forces unit using huge maps and model planes to surround the attacking Nazi aircraft. Then the actual dogfights are shown in the sky. I'd bet my life that these scenes were directed by Michael Powell because they contain a visual wit and polish which far more resemble his work than the co-directors listed. As far as the other hour or so goes, you've been warned.

A Zed & Two Noughts (Peter Greenaway, 1985)

Greenaway uses his rich visual pallette to present some case about decay, fate, and perhaps retribution, but as is often the case, it's unclear whether he's trying to intellectualize the physical or physicalize the intellectual. I guess he could be considered the art house (or is it out house?) version of David Cronenberg, but Greenaway makes Cronenberg seem more like Walt Disney. This film involves people who lose body parts, people who used to share the same body (?), zoo animals who live or die and some rather strange obsessions which most of the characters seem to partake in. I liked it a little less this time than I liked it last time, and there are about 50 people in the world I'd ever suggest this one to; otherwise, I'd tell people to steer clear.

Ida Lupino Festival:

Out of the Fog (Anatole Litvak, 1941)

On Dangerous Ground (Nicholas Ray, 1952)

The Hard Way (Vincent Sherman, 1943)
+
Ladies in Retirement (Charles Vidor, 1941)
+
High Sierra (Raoul Walsh, 1941)

I watched five Ida Lupino flicks yesterday. Out of the Fog is an OK but terribly hokey film which plays exactly like a cramped theatrical adaptation, and yes, it's based on a play by Irwin Shaw. The only reason to watch it is for the cast which includes Ida, John Garfield, Thomas Mitchell, and John Qualen. On Dangerous Ground has a much-better reputation and is now considered a cult film, even if I don't think all that much of it. Robert Ryan is good as a roughneck city cop and Ida is good as a blind woman who cools him down when he's assigned to a special case out of town. The flick is appropriately dark and moody but the plot is just undernourished and the always-reliable Ward Bond gives one of his lousiest performances, at least to me. The Hard Way is an intense and almost insane melodrama, but it's much more entertaining and thought-provoking. Ida runs the personal life and budding show biz career of kid sister Joan Leslie, and she walks all over everybody, especially the two most important men (Jack Carson and Dennis Morgan) in the women's lives. (It turns out that this flick was really based on Ginger Rogers and her mother).

Ladies in Retirement is also based on a play, but it starts out a little more along the lines of Arsenic and Old Lace. Ida is the thoughtful housekeeper of a wealthy woman (Isobel Elsom), but when she receives word that her two sisters (Elsa Lanchester and Edith Barrett) will be permanently sent to live in a London insane asylum if she cannot care for them, she brings them to live with her. It doesn't take long for the sisters to wear out their welcome, but Ida just cannot let them leave. Added into the mix are Ida's visiting "nephew" (Louis Hayward) and another maid (Evelyn Keyes) who find out some suspicious things when the old lady owner goes away on an unexpected trip. High Sierra is my fave of the five films. It's also the last film that Bogart made where he didn't receive top billing. Ida got that as a sensitive woman who waits for Bogie while he's busy trying to pull off a heist and have a girl's (Joan Leslie's, again) clubfoot repaired as a form of courtship. The film has several interesting characters and an exciting finale, so yeah, I even like all the stuff with the unlucky dog too. Go ahead, shoot me!

The Tenant (Roman Polanski, 1976)

Well, The Tenant did seem a bit more interesting than I recalled, but it doesn't really seem any less maddening. I realize that Polanski's Trelkovsky character never explains why he wants the apartment. Supposedly, he already has some place to live in the city when he shows up at the beginning of the film asking about an apartment, but we never see him move out of any other place. He claims he learned about the apartment from a friend, but this could actually be Stella (Isabelle Adjani) whom he allegedly meets in the hospital after he moves in. It's true that there are clues here and there which connect the dead woman to Egyptology and that appears to be a subject of interest in Trelkovsky's floor's bathroom, but after a while, it's really unclear if anything he sees is actually happening. The whole thing is reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby but with no payoff. Actually, the payoff could be that The Tenant is an unnecessary prequel to the earlier movie, but in just as many ways, The Tenant seems to be a circular ghost story a la The Shining. Thinking about what it may mean after the fact seems much more entertaining than the experience of watching the film which gives no answers and goes off the deep end at times by making the sound level drastically low involving a certain character and then having some central characters dubbed.

The People's Republic of Clogher
12 Monkeys (1995, Terry Gilliam)

3.5/5

I've finally worked it out - Terry Gilliam is the cinematic equivalent of Nigel Mansell!

Stay with me...

For those of you who have no conception of the fluffy-faced retired racing driver let me say this: Even the most routine of Mansell's many victories was seen by the man himself as some sort of triumph over adversity. He could have lapped the entire field twice and stopped for a picnic on lap 23 before taking the chequered flag at a canter but the resulting press conference would be full of wheel rattles, pre-race bouts of flu, perceived slights tales of "nursing the car home" etc. Meanwhile his mechanics would be pulling their hair out because they'd given him something fast and with bulletproof reliability.

In short, Mansell was great at what he did but Our Nige made bloody sure we knew it wasn't easy.

This is not to say that Terry Gilliam imagines problems - Anyone who's remotely familiar with his work can point to Brazil and Munchausen to name but two - but boy does he revel in them after the fact. OK, he revels in them with humour and good grace (sorry Nigel, this is where you and Terry part ways) but I don't think a Gilliam film would be a Gilliam film if it's plain sailing.

Yeah, 12 Monkeys.

I'm not in love with it like I am with Brazil and Time Bandits but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It looks great, has a surprisingly good turn by Bruce Willis and (for the first time you see it anyway - I watched it on successive nights in the cinema when it came out) actually makes you think. For a bit.

This is the part where I mention Madeleine Stowe! Asides from being one of the few genuinely beautiful women in Hollywood she's probably my favourite actress of the 90s and is the glue that holds 12 Monkeys together. Sadly, Hollywood being Hollywood and Madeleine being 50-odd, we'll probably not see her refreshing naturalism in anything meaningful until she's old enough to do those Streep-style character parts in her early 60s.

This is the part where I mention Brad Pitt! He doesn't ruin the film for me but, my, does he give it a good try. I've seen more convincing gibbering loons in a Primary school production of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (what? Your school only did Snow White? ) where the kid playing McMurphy has had one too many cans of Fanta before going on.

Let's face it - he's as toe-curlingly awful as Willis and Stowe are good. It's one thing to paint with broad strokes but only Jackson Pollock could get away with hurling open cans at canvas...

Apart from that *cough* slight grumble, I think that 12 Monkeys is a good film, probably the best 'Gilliam for hire' in fact.

Honest.