The 2008 Election

Tools    

I think Obama needs to really hit it out of the park next debate, they've already tied McCain to Bush pretty effectively, well actually McCain kinda' gave them help, but he needs to connect on that emotional level. A Bill Clinton-esque; "I fell your pain" speech is what he needs to put him over the edge.

...uh the post is up there...

I am having a nervous breakdance
Sarah Palin's kind of hot, isn't she?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

A system of cells interlinked
I would definitely tap that...

Yeah, yeah...the pic is fake, but it looks pretty close to me...

Creepy! She's the second most evil woman on the planet. Whoopi Goldberg being the most evil, but then she actually is Satan. So Palin is the most evil human woman.... That I know of anyway.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
SPOILERS: This post is Emoticon Central!

HA! That explains everything...

Do you have some link which verifies all that? I'll remove that last icon if you do.

Um, what the heck is wrong with Whoopi Goldberg???

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Wow, that was kinda...strange. Whoopi is "evil?"

Well, Sarah Palin isn't funny anymore.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100602935.html

Someone in the crowd yelled "kill him!" (speaking about Obama)

Another told a black sound man to "sit down, boy."

And they blamed Sarah's problems on the press.

I don't know what was worse, her crowd, or the way she was inciting them.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
That's pretty horrible! Who wants four years of that?

Wow, that was kinda...strange. Whoopi is "evil?"

Well, Sarah Palin isn't funny anymore.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100602935.html

Someone in the crowd yelled "kill him!" (speaking about Obama)

Another told a black sound man to "sit down, boy."

And they blamed Sarah's problems on the press.

I don't know what was worse, her crowd, or the way she was inciting them.

Dear goodness. Palin didn't say any of that nonsense, and neither did McCain. And if you can "incite" such things by simply speaking negatively, then no candidate is immune. It is an ugly fact that racists and radicals of every persuasion get to vote, too, but it's an unavoidable one.

I hate this crap as much as anyone, but pretending it's the fault of the candidates is absurd.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
agreement with you Yoda, but its gonna effect the way people view the candidates though isn't it?

These remarks can't have helped her national image any though, no candidate wants to be painted as a leader of racists or someone who incites violence, but I think it could be a product of Palin's very relaxed way of speaking to the public aka Joe Sixpack

BTW I am in no way saying that I believe Palin incited those remarks.

Oh yeah, definitely. The way a candidate speaks can have all sorts of unintended effects, and Palin is no exception. Her conversational style may cause some people to feel they can join in. This is generally a good thing, I would think, but when it comes to politics it seems anything can be twisted into an excuse for hate.

Beyond that, what can a candidate do? John McCain has gone as far as repudiating anyone who even mentions Obama's middle name. Obama, for his part, has done a good job of staying above the fray on a handful of touchy issues, like insisting that Palin's family is off-limits. For all the talk of how dirty the campaign is, both tickets have put some things off-limits, which I find impressive.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
I agree that it does make for a nice change that both parties have limits. For the most part, as far as I know, the campaigns have been pretty much scandal free. Palins pregnant daughter, not really a big deal because I'd wager that other than crystal meth, theres not a whole lot else to do in Alaska. The other scandal fodder being the relationship between Obama and the pastor jeremiah wright.

have i missed a big scandal concerning the candidates? any prostitutes knocking around? hiding under podiums?

Not that I know of. McCain's been around forever, so there's nothing new there. Ditto for Biden. Obama and Palin are new, though, so I'd say the possibility of an "October surprise" for either (or both) of them is higher than usual. Then again, things move so fast now that I'm inclined to think we know of most "Octber surprises" by mid-September.

The campaign does appear dirtier than it is, though, because of third-parties. McCain may have declared Wright off-limits, but that doesn't stop other people from talking about it. Obama may have said Palin's daughter is off-limits, but that doesn't stop Conan from telling crude jokes about it. So it goes.