Coincidences?

Tools    

I got to thinking today, as I ocassionally do, about those eerie moments when things just seem to play out too good or bad to be true. Today, my friend was bored, I told here I was thinking of a number from 1-1,000,000, and she guessed 937, and that's the exact number I was thinking of. We we both kinda weirded out, and I got to wondering what Mofo's take on this kinda thing was. So... post away!

I think some coincidences are actually fate, it's the only instance where I believe in something science can't explain or is remotely spritual. When and how i met my g/f, a lot of the factors building up to it were really coincidental yet considering how similar we are, think there must have been something other than chance letting us meet. I'm not a raving looney btw, not got any illusions that she's the one i'll spend the rest my life, living for the now

yea these moments are really wierd. Just the other day I was at work and as I was walking to the bathroom I heard someone in there and just in the back of the mind I thought "my manager Matt is probobly in there" and when I opened the door he was in fact at the sink washing his hands. These tend to freak me out a bit but then I usualy just dismiss them

In my experience, it's mathematic. Days will go by without a coincidence like that, and when one occurs, I wonder how many opportunities there were for something like that to happen and it didn't, and it all makes perfect sense to me. Most people don't think that way. If you have 100 encounters with people in a couple days time, with an average of 1000 different strange things that could have happened each time, and only one of them occured, is it really all that strange?

The People's Republic of Clogher
The only fate I believe in is this one:

It took me from Liverpool to Stranraer (and beyond) 3 or 4 times a year without missing a beat.

This gag probably only works in a Norn Iron accent but, as firegod said, isn't coincidence merely luck dressed up?

I knew all of you would say these things. What're the freakin' odds, man?

Anyway, yeah, I've asked myself the same sort of thing. It's probably coincidence. I'm sure some people do experience more than their share of coincidences, so I can't quite imagine what else to say to those people.

Of course, under some sets of beliefs (my own included), there's some basis for the idea that some situations are more than concidental, but even in thos cases, there's really no way to know, and it'd still have to be coincidence more often than not, I think.

There are those who call me...Tim.
I was thinking about Jurassic Park one time, and so I went on wikipedia to get some info on it (my usually internet passtime if I'm bored), and the day's featured article was Jurassic Park.

You ready? You look ready.
Coincidences are silly, but ain't it a cool word to say?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I knew all of you would say these things. What're the freakin' odds, man?

Anyway, yeah, I've asked myself the same sort of thing. It's probably coincidence. I'm sure some people do experience more than their share of coincidences, so I can't quite imagine what else to say to those people.

Of course, under some sets of beliefs (my own included), there's some basis for the idea that some situations are more than concidental, but even in those cases, there's really no way to know, and it'd still have to be coincidence more often than not, I think.

I don't think I've ever really agreed 100% with anything Chris has ever said when it came to these sort of questions, but his post quoted above pretty much sum's up my views/beliefs in a nutshell. There is NEVER going to be a way to KNOW, theres never going to be a right or wrong anwser, it is always going to come down to faith.