Movies that Disappointed You After Viewing?

Tools    

What movies have you been really excited to see, but then you were disappointed by the end result of it? Note that these might change after a repeated viewing. I do like these movies anyway, but it is quite hidden in my mind.
Mine are:
Breakfast at Tiffany's - I was quite excited to see this one because of the Henry Mancini score and due to Audrey Hepburn. Overall, I was thinking about this one for months and when I saw it after Christmas, I thought it was good: The score was great, it was charming, but I just like other movies that I saw before and after this one better.
Rules of the Game - I thought I was going to see the greatest French movie of all time with this one. I found it rather confusing and also not anything to write home about at the end of it. I still think it was a really good movie though, just that it sat warmly in my head after watching.
Dr. Strangelove - I was thinking about seeing this one for a year before I saw it in May. I did not laugh during most of this but I understand that it is funny in how it looks and not one where you laugh out loud all the time. Remember not to fight or flame me over this, as this thread is NOT the war room.

Belle De Jour - This was one that I was tired when watching it. I wanted to see it because it was a Bunuel movie and the pictures made me want to check it out. My favorite parts of this were the fantasy sequences where Catherine Deneuve's character was thinking about her husband inflicting harm upon her. However, I was bored maybe because this was more a real movie rather than something experimental like L'ago d'or or Un Chien Andalou.

One Sings the Other Doesn't - After "Umbrellas" and Young Girls of Rochefort, I wanted to see another foreign musical that looked so great and lively. I looked up some foreign musicals, and came upon this one directed by Agnes Varda. Then in July, I saw Cleo From 5 To 7 which was one of the most visually stunning movie in B&W and is in my top 5 French movies. Because of those gorgeous visuals and due to Varda being married to the guy who directed the two musicals of interest, I thought that OSTOD was going to be another one of these. Turns out I was wrong and that this one was more of a drama about two friends protesting against abortion. There were not any songs until an hour in and some of the sequences were exciting such as some of the concert scenes. But this one was in such a different fashion that I was disappointed with this one.

All of these are 2.5-3 Stars.

Right off the top of my head, there is one movie that really disappointed me and that is Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise Of Skywalker. The film is a disappointing conclusion of the recent 3 films of the franchise

La La Land -- the director songwriter of this was a fan of Umbrellas of Cherbourg and the Young Girls of Rochefort so I thought it might be something. But I was sorely disappointed. It just left me feeling flat.

Well, that's a lot of movies. You spend your hard-earned cash with high hopes, but the toy surprise promised in the trailer is often a dud.

La La Land -- the director songwriter of this was a fan of Umbrellas of Cherbourg and the Young Girls of Rochefort so I thought it might be something. But I was sorely disappointed. It just left me feeling flat.
Same. I hated it.

A system of cells interlinked
Any film with the words Star Wars in the title since Rogue One. On that subject, The Phantom Menace was one of the biggest cinematic letdowns of my film-watching life.

Justice League was the movie through which I got hurt a lot.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I agree. I didn't like the other Hepburn movie, despite being a William Wyler fan, and a Gregory Peck fan, "Roman Holiday" - which was JFK's favorite movie. He almost didn't have a chance to see it!

I felt exactly the way you did about "The Rules of the Game".. I then saw a documentary about film, and they reviewed it, and I saw it from another angle perhaps, re-watched and loved it. Funny thing is, I felt the exact same way after my first viewing of "La Grande Illusion", but now it's a favorite of mine. But the reason was probably due to the fact the library had a bad VHS copy, and I remember watching it after 5am, after waking up an hour earlier and not being able to go back to sleep.

I don't want to pick anything too bad, and advertise it (some people love camp), and this is a good thread. But "Dr. Stangelove" is another for me, because Kubrick was my favorite at 17, and I think "no fighting in the war room" takes very little talent, and isn't anything special to me. Maybe it was for me as a teenager, but I probably got sick of it by 18. Instead of satirizing the intelligent fascists who run the world, they make them out to be bumbling fools, but that's not the problem.

"It came to me during an act of love" was the only part I found funny - the way Sterling Hayden said it.

"Last Year in Marienbad" seems a bit overrated. 6/10 for being unique. Maybe I'll watch it again - I can't think of any movie I want to see, but I don't like re-watches anymore. Used to.

"Last Year in Marienbad" seems a bit overrated. 6/10 for being unique. Maybe I'll watch it again - I can't think of any movie I want to see, but I don't like re-watches anymore. Used to.
Never been able to get through even the smallest piece of this movie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I tried watching "The Cremator", which I've known about for a while. The title itself didn't excite me, so I thought it would be an emergency - being in a slump, being completely unhappy, needing some art to give my soul some nutrition, but I only watched 30 minutes. I was interrupted by possible work. But then I thought, "This is ridiculous" - the constant, "How lucky people get to be cremated"
Does the last hour get much better?

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Any film with the words Star Wars in the title since Rogue One. On that subject, The Phantom Menace was one of the biggest cinematic letdowns of my film-watching life.

Disappointing, but had a few things to make up for it.

Attack of the Clones, however - I have NEVER felt so much rage after leaving a movie as I did with that piece of garbage.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
  • Probably all of the last SW trilogy flicks.
  • The Phantom Menace (I read the novelization in college and was so excited to see the trailer! Then the movie released...)
  • Thir13en Ghosts
  • Wing Commander
  • Star Wars Episode IV (Theatrical re-release and digitally enhanced with a goofy zoo of rubbery CGI creatures walking everywhere and a horribly trendy "ring wave" explosion at the end.)

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Welcome to the human race...
I tried watching "The Cremator", which I've known about for a while. The title itself didn't excite me, so I thought it would be an emergency - being in a slump, being completely unhappy, needing some art to give my soul some nutrition, but I only watched 30 minutes. I was interrupted by possible work. But then I thought, "This is ridiculous" - the constant, "How lucky people get to be cremated"
Does the last hour get much better?
Emphatically, yes. I would advise not watching it if you're "unhappy" since it is such a bleak and miserable film with a tough wavelength to get on.

Anyway, a handful of picks (not too many since I tend to keep my expectations low these days - how any of you had high enough expectations for Rise of Skywalker to be disappointed is beyond me)

Innocent Blood: first title I thought of was this horror-comedy which has what sounds like a great premise - vampire turns Mafia boss, Mafia boss wants to use his new powers for crime - but in the hands of a generally-not-very-good filmmaker like John Landis the end result is weirdly lacking.

The Dead Don't Die: kind of the reverse of my previous pick where a uniformly great director like Jarmusch ends up squandering his talents on an uninspired (yet tongue-in-cheek) take on the zombie movie.

Last Night in Soho: feels like favourite directors making dud movies would be a common thread through my picks, and this much is also true of Edgar Wright trying to branch out in a way that really shows his limits as an artist.

The Matrix Reloaded: I admittedly came around on this one in recent years, but at the time of its release I remember being underwhelmed enough that I didn't go see Revolutions in theatres. I guess that counts.

The Predator: what can I say, I really believed Shane Black could bring it back.

Mortal Kombat (2021): I'm a tragic when it comes to the source material so of course it was disappointing to see how they convoluted its simple set-up and didn't even make a decent action movie out of it either.

Thank you! I knew it was not going to be good so I was not disappointed about it. I just can not stand how everybody now says "It's better than the first one" even though the sequel felt like the same movie except without the cheesiness. In a year or two, people are going to go back to liking the first one.