The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Godfather Part II

The biggest blind spot in my cinema watching resume has to be The Godfather Part II. At a daunting 3hrs22mins, it was always going to be a challenge to sit my ass down and just find time to watch a slow burn crime movie. I watched the first film in high school and yeah, it's a certified classic. All this talk about the sequel being better than the original, decades of sitting near the top of people's BEST OF lists...how in the world could this movie live up to the reputation it has received?

These films are all about family and what one will do to make sure that nothing breaks a family up. We see this when Michael refuses to let his wife leave him because he doesn't want her to take the kids away. Is this because he loves her and the kids? Maybe, but maybe the dark underlining to it is that he wants his family to continue the business, which is why he is so adamant on having a son. Must feel awkward for his one son right now, having his dad want more sons in an effort to continue the business because there might be a chance they die before taking over. Have a couple sons to choose from. Michael had two brothers, one died and one was passed over, so he sees his own future reflecting his own past.

My jaw hit the floor when Kay revealed disturbing details to Michael about their unborn child. Moments of violence can thrill people, disturb people or shock, but put two talented actors in a room, give them a well written scene and an emotionally distraught story element and you can have more success at garnering emotions from the viewer than anything else. The ending of the film reflects the ending to the original in a small way, having Michael eliminate his 'enemies'. We are then given one brief glimpse of a moment in their past when the Corleone was happy, waiting for a surprise party for their father. They all leave the table to give the surprise and Michael sits there alone, just like he is now. His family is essentially destroyed. These movies are really about the depressing nature of destroying families. Those measures that people will go to save a family, can ultimately destroy it.

Sure some elements were spoiled for me, which is the nature of the business when you watch a famous movie more than 40 years after the fact, but that doesn't limit the suspense or emotional impact of the scenes. Heck, I even thought that maybe I was wrong and things might turn out different, but in reality we are all watching a slow motion train wreck. Never be alone in the middle of nowhere with these people, chance are that two go in, one comes out.

I was invested in BOTH timelines. The film doesn't jump back and forth a lot, instead Coppola gives each sequence room to breathe and we are treated to elongated elements in both. At times you wonder which timeline is suppose to be the main story because we spend so much time with Vito. The flashback elements are used appropriately too, never once does Coppola try to fool us into thinking that Vito is in danger. We know he lives through this time because he's an old man in the original, so instead of false suspense scenes we get a character study and an understanding of how he became the man who knew from the original. The performance from DeNiro is great as well, mainly spoken in another language.

What I'm saying is stuff people have been saying for decades, so nothing new to really report. I'm telling you thinks you already know people. The movie is great. It's a huge blindspot for me so it was something I expect people to nominate and it is something that could have been nominated by anyone.

Now....do I watch the dreaded third? Hahahaha

Just watched Part 2 and absolutely loved it. But Like Citizen, no interest in 3.

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)

I hadn't seen any Woody Allen movies until Blue Jasmine came out in 2013, and now this was about my 13th. I've enjoyed most of them to varying degrees, although I think it's telling that my favorite is Interiors, which is more like a Bergman film.

I would rank this one as about middle of the pack for what I've seen. Early on the movie veers into fantasy territory and I thought oh no, this is not for me. I just rolled with it, which wasn't difficult with a runtime of under 90 minutes, and I found myself enjoying it. It's not my type but it's easy to like. It's charming, sweet, cute, and all those kinds of fluffy things. Perhaps I may enjoy it more one day as I continue to mellow out. Jeff Daniels, Mia Farrow, and Danny Aiello all give fine performances, and Woody captures the era well. Certainly not a favorite but I liked it and get to cross it off my list. I feel good about it.

+

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)

I hadn't seen any Woody Allen movies until Blue Jasmine came out in 2013, and now this was about my 13th. I've enjoyed most of them to varying degrees, although I think it's telling that my favorite is Interiors, which is more like a Bergman film.

I would rank this one as about middle of the pack for what I've seen. Early on the movie veers into fantasy territory and I thought oh no, this is not for me. I just rolled with it, which wasn't difficult with a runtime of under 90 minutes, and I found myself enjoying it. It's not my type but it's easy to like. It's charming, sweet, cute, and all those kinds of fluffy things. Perhaps I may enjoy it more one day as I continue to mellow out. Jeff Daniels, Mia Farrow, and Danny Aiello all give fine performances, and Woody captures the era well. Certainly not a favorite but I liked it and get to cross it off my list. I feel good about it.

+

I haven't seen a lot of Woody Allen's movies, but of the few that I've seen, The Purple Rose of Cairo is one of my favorites.

The trick is not minding
Purple Rose is amongst his best imo.
Behind Annie Hall, Stardust Memories and Love and Death. And I’ve seen a lot of his 70’s-late 90’s work.
I really need to catch up on his post 2000 works (seen a few here and there such as Blue Jasmine And Match Point)

Predestination (2014)

So if I do like Sci-Fi, it's usually with a heavy mix of action like Aliens and The Terminator, or horror like Alien, The Fly, and The Thing. Normally the more thought provoking Sci-Fi just doesn't interest me. Predestination is not horror and has minimal action, but I loved it.

I feel like anything I could say about the plot is a potential spoiler. I was spellbound the whole time and it's 95 minutes was too short. I felt like I was watching a movie that was a mix of subtle and outrageous. That's a weird mix and I'd say it's the best mind blower I've seen since Kill List. The movie makes you think well after it's over, but if you think too much it could drive you bananas. I paid complete attention so I believe I know what I saw for the most part. If you don't pay attention you are going to miss a lot. Everything means something. Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook (who?) were excellent. This definitely would have made my Sci-Fi ballot had I seen it back then. Yet another brilliant surprise for me in this HoF, and further evidence that others can pick better movies for me than I can for myself.

Predestination (2014)

So if I do like Sci-Fi, it's usually with a heavy mix of action like Aliens and The Terminator, or horror like Alien, The Fly, and The Thing. Normally the more thought provoking Sci-Fi just doesn't interest me. Predestination is not horror and has minimal action, but I loved it.

I feel like anything I could say about the plot is a potential spoiler. I was spellbound the whole time and it's 95 minutes was too short. I felt like I was watching a movie that was a mix of subtle and outrageous. That's a weird mix and I'd say it's the best mind blower I've seen since Kill List. The movie makes you think well after it's over, but if you think too much it could drive you bananas. I paid complete attention so I believe I know what I saw for the most part. If you don't pay attention you are going to miss a lot. Everything means something. Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook (who?) were excellent. This definitely would have made my Sci-Fi ballot had I seen it back then. Yet another brilliant surprise for me in this HoF, and further evidence that others can pick better movies for me than I can for myself.

I watched Predestination a while back and I thought it was a great movie. I've almost forgotten enough about it to rewatch it.

I'm not from America, so I have a great appreciation for American films set in the desert outback: I find it to be a very striking place that I'd love to visit and drive down its roads someday. What I guess I appreciate most about this film is that it's quite lighthearted. Of course there are sad scenes and intense scenes, but the film never really has a frightening tone apart from maybe two scenes. Alot of the lightheartedness comes from the really good pairing of Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward, they really feel like life long buddies.
Another thing to note is this is one of the few films I've seen where all of the side characters are actually memorable and likable. Most films only have the effort to make the main character memorable and likable. Since it's a creature feature I'll talk about them. Very good practical effects, quite the horrorshow for anyone who doesn't like worms. I liked that at the start of the film there was a perspective shot of one of the worms, a cute nod to Jaws. I love in these types of films where the characters have to use their surroundings and figure out possible ways to stop a seemingly unstoppable force, and this film certainly didn't disappoint.

Really enjoyed myself with this one.
+

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Predestination (2014)

I had originally went with this for your nomination but someone else beat me to punch, before going with Les Miserables.
I had a real strong feeling you'd enjoy this, being that exception to the rule kind of movie that you wouldn't normally check out on your own, for the reasons you mentioned.

I reacted the same way as you did on my first watch and, due to how it all plays out, I watched it two more times within the following week. Exploring the nuances of this "mindblower".
And, yeah, it's pretty much impossible to say anything about it without spoiling anything and whenever I suggested it someone I'd refuse to say anything except, "Just watch it. And then, watch it again."

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

I'm not from America, so I have a great appreciation for American films set in the desert outback: I find it to be a very striking place that I'd love to visit and drive down its roads someday. What I guess I appreciate most about this film is that it's quite lighthearted. Of course there are sad scenes and intense scenes, but the film never really has a frightening tone apart from maybe two scenes. Alot of the lightheartedness comes from the really good pairing of Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward, they really feel like life long buddies.
Another thing to note is this is one of the few films I've seen where all of the side characters are actually memorable and likable. Most films only have the effort to make the main character memorable and likable. Since it's a creature feature I'll talk about them. Very good practical effects, quite the horrorshow for anyone who doesn't like worms. I liked that at the start of the film there was a perspective shot of one of the worms, a cute nod to Jaws. I love in these types of films where the characters have to use their surroundings and figure out possible ways to stop a seemingly unstoppable force, and this film certainly didn't disappoint.

+
Been quite a while since I've seen this tip of the hat to old B-Film Creature films. Bacon and Ward WERE ideal as long time friends. And like you said, the others that could have been mere background were pretty cool, enjoyable characters.

+

I'm not a fan of horror movies, but Tremors was one of the good ones that made my Top 25 Horror list.

I made a point to watch Yellow Sky and Hud last week in case either made a strong enough impression to make my western ballot. Unfortunately I just haven't been in a writing mood lately. Gonna have to just force myself to sit down long enough to write something for them soon before too many details fade from my memory.

Predestination (2014)

Predestination was so much better than I ever expected it to be. I was also very impressed with Sarah Snook. It's a shame she hasn't received many other (any?) chances to showcase her talent. Seems she's either relegated to small roles (Steve Jobs) or sh*tty films (Winchester).

+
That was my choice for you. I've never interacted much with you (post more! and since you're also on Letterboxd, feel free to jump in on some of the discussions on there involving various MoFos; it'd be nice to get to know you better), but from what I've seen, you seem to be drawn to genre films that offer a good, fun time, and Tremors certainly fits that bill. It's remained one my favorites since I was a kid, back when I used to set up obstacles in my yard and hop from one to another, pretending as if a graboid would eat me as soon as I touched grass. I love that it's a mish-mash of so many genres -- Horror/Comedy/Action -- with a Western aesthetic. Glad you enjoyed it.

That was my choice for you. I've never interacted much with you, but from what I've seen, you seem to be drawn to genre films that offer a good, fun time, and Tremors certainly fits that bill. It's remained one my favorites since I was a kid, back when I used to set up obstacles in my yard and hop from one to another, pretending as if a graboid would eat me as soon as I touched grass. I love that it's a mish-mash of so many genres -- Horror/Comedy/Action -- with a Western aesthetic. Glad you enjoyed it.
Thanks bro.

(post more! and since you're also on Letterboxd, feel free to jump in on some of the discussions on there involving various MoFos; it'd be nice to get to know you better)
Of course, I'll be waiting for the next discussion that I see.