The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I’m waiting on write ups for eight of my nominations. One was supposedly watched like a month ago but no review was posted.
I'll watch yours soon...maybe next? If it's what I think it is.

Suspect's Reviews

I watched Warlock in 2016 and gave it
+
I've seen Warlock a couple of times, it's best part is the somewhat odd for the times relationship between Henry Fonda and Anthony Quinn. I'd probably rate it a 3.5+
Maybe I did rate it somewhere? Who knows.

...I've been wanting to mention about this HoF. . . and its success and what a success it is!
When @cricket first came up with the idea I was honestly on the fence about how it would work out and the difficulties that could arise trying to guess films for specific individuals. Then to find out, it wasn't at all. Just a fun, and exciting, challenge to pick out films from the Lists and with this in full swing, it's AMAZING how much conversation is going on.

So, F@CKIN BRAVO cricket for coming up with this and putting it into motion. This really should be a repeating HoF - abso-tootley
I knew this was a solid idea way back when Cricket first mentioned it. I'm glad we finally got around to doing it! Definitely we need to make this an ongoing thing

...I've never heard of Fail-Safe, but I am growing rather curious of it.
I know what I'm choosing for you next time

...I’ve been overworked at my job due to them letting go all temps. I’m working 2 machines every day, where previously I only sometimes worked two.
It’s actually severely impacted my viewing lately as I’ve found myself exhausted from work and not able to muster up any energy to stay up and watch anything...
I hear ya bro. I've been doing twice the amount of work as usual. Hang in there!

a clockwork orange

kubrick is one of my favorite directors of all time so it's obviously absurd that i'd never seen this before and i'm very glad it was nominated. i'd heard mixed things about this one but it always intrigued me. seems to be the most divisive of kubrick's major works, with plenty of people citing it as a favorite but it's also perhaps the most oft-cited least favorite. i fall decidedly into the latter category, but i get why people love it i suppose. it was pretty thrilling to get to get a whole 2+ hours of kubrick shot compositions and camera movements that i had (mostly) never seen before. the whole film is as impeccably designed as anything he's done, but it's all just an aesthetic covering for the rather banal nihilism at the film's center. the first third has some disturbing stuff but it all feels so empty. i suppose the decision to depict such depravity with a sense of objectivity is an interesting choice on kubrick's part, but it just left me cold, feeling nothing when i probably should've at least been shocked or something. we see people raped and killed while the camera remains fairly indifferent, and the only person we're ever really asked to empathize with is alex. i have no problem with movies that want you to care about an evil person, but they're easier to stomach when they don't also dehumanize the victims. i have plenty of problems with lars von trier's version of shock value, but i recently watched the house that jack built and the reason that film works so well is that it forces you to fully feel the weight of how evil matt dillon is by allowing the victims to feel recognizably human and sympathetic. i think i enjoyed the last third of this the most, when the societal critique fully emerges, but even then i couldn't bring myself to care enough to get fully invested.

with that said, there's lots of redeeming stuff in this. malcolm mcdowell was a perfect sociopathic miscreant. i've seen a lot of reviews that sht on the performances of patrick magee and michael bates, but i thought they kinda ruled, even if bates got tiring after a while and i couldn't understand most of what he said. and like i said, the film is perfect on a purely formal level. if you dropped any scene from this movie into another movie, ignoring the fact that it wouldn't make sense contextually, i would be like "damn that's the best scene in the movie, holy sht," but taken together they just leave me cold. the definition of a film that's less than the sum of its parts.

+
criticker

I think every Kubrick film is better on 2nd viewing sometimes it takes a third viewing. Like for me I didn't like 2001 a Space Odyssey the first time I saw it, I think I either saw it on VHS on AMC with commercials and it was just unwatchable. Years later I saw it on DVD and thought it was fine...then I saw it in an IMAX theater with the 70 MM and it was one of the best filmgoing experiences of my life.

Clockwork is one of my favorites and one of the movies I've seen most. I have no idea when I first saw it. It seems like it's always been with me, and it came out the year I was born.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think every Kubrick film is better on 2nd viewing sometimes it takes a third viewing. Like for me I didn't like 2001 a Space Odyssey the first time I saw it, I think I either saw it on VHS on AMC with commercials and it was just unwatchable. Years later I saw it on DVD and thought it was fine...then I saw it in an IMAX theater with the 70 MM and it was one of the best filmgoing experiences of my life.
So far I agree, except Eyes Wide Shut didn't do anything on repeat viewing. I'd be surprised if Strangelove or Paths of Glory do either.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I keep checking this thread hoping to see progress from the people who haven’t reviewed my nominations yet. Nope. No such luck. Y’all a bunch of slackers, man.
I love it when you get rough

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Damn, of all the films I nominated, this was my surest bet and ended up being the one rated lower so far! xD

Oh, well...

To me A Clockwork Orange was the film that made me become a cinephile and my second major cinema experience, some years after Pulp Fiction.
Before that, I had never seen anything before the 90s except maybe for Star Wars, but it made me aware of a whole universe that I didn't know. I remember staying in silence a good 30 minutes after the movie ended feeling completely stunned.
That same week, I joined MoFo, and the rest is history...

I rewatched it a few times after that, and while I understand what you say and admit that the movie is not perfect, I still think that ACW is the movie that best encapsulates a thing I like to call "The Kubrick effect".

How to Train Your Dragon
(2010)

How to Train Your Dragon and its sequels for some reason just never looked interesting to me. Because of that, I didn't expect to like this, but I have to admit that I couldn't have been more wrong... I loved it!

Berk is a Viking village with a dragon problem. For a long time dragons have been attacking Berk, stealing food, and destroying buildings. How To Train Your Dragon tells the story of Hiccup, the son of Berk's leader, who, because of his weakness and inability to fight dragons, is a disappointment to the entire village and especially to his father. He is trying to be something he isn't because he wants to please others, but he keeps failing. If he wants to discover his real strengths, he will have to truly start being himself, and believing in who he is.

The story of How to Train Your Dragon is written very well. It explores many themes and has a lot of valuable messages in it. The most interesting one to me was that there's nothing wrong with being different and that sometimes it's good to try something, even if you never expect it to work. Sometimes changing things up can unexpectedly bring big improvements. Besides that, seeing the transformation of Hiccup and how his relations with dragon Toothless, his father, and his peers change is wonderful. This story brought a big smile on my face, and I can't imagine it not doing the same for many others.

The only thing that I didn't like at all times was the animation, especially of the characters' faces. I can't pinpoint why exactly, but at times it just didn't feel a hundred percent right to me and. Especially at the start of the film, this bothered me a bit, and now that I think about it, this is probably also the reason why I never tried watching it before. Luckily the beautiful story managed to quickly make me forget about those issues and, on the other hand, a lot of the animation is also very good. Especially the dragons and scenery look great.

The amazing writing manages to make this a great film, even with animation that, to me, wasn't always perfect. I should have watched this much sooner, and I can't wait to see the sequels!

@CaptainT

Glad to finally see a review for this! It's one of my favorite movies and I'm thrilled that you loved it. I don't know you or your tastes at all so it was a stab-in-the-dark kind of pick. I'm happy that I stabbed in the right direction.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

How to Train Your Dragon
(2010)

How to Train Your Dragon and its sequels for some reason just never looked interesting to me. Because of that, I didn't expect to like this, but I have to admit that I couldn't have been more wrong... I loved it!

Berk is a Viking village with a dragon problem. For a long time dragons have been attacking Berk, stealing food, and destroying buildings. How To Train Your Dragon tells the story of Hiccup, the son of Berk's leader, who, because of his weakness and inability to fight dragons, is a disappointment to the entire village and especially to his father. He is trying to be something he isn't because he wants to please others, but he keeps failing. If he wants to discover his real strengths, he will have to truly start being himself, and believing in who he is.

The story of How to Train Your Dragon is written very well. It explores many themes and has a lot of valuable messages in it. The most interesting one to me was that there's nothing wrong with being different and that sometimes it's good to try something, even if you never expect it to work. Sometimes changing things up can unexpectedly bring big improvements. Besides that, seeing the transformation of Hiccup and how his relations with dragon Toothless, his father, and his peers change is wonderful. This story brought a big smile on my face, and I can't imagine it not doing the same for many others.

The only thing that I didn't like at all times was the animation, especially of the characters' faces. I can't pinpoint why exactly, but at times it just didn't feel a hundred percent right to me and. Especially at the start of the film, this bothered me a bit, and now that I think about it, this is probably also the reason why I never tried watching it before. Luckily the beautiful story managed to quickly make me forget about those issues and, on the other hand, a lot of the animation is also very good. Especially the dragons and scenery look great.

The amazing writing manages to make this a great film, even with animation that, to me, wasn't always perfect. I should have watched this much sooner, and I can't wait to see the sequels!

LOVE this film!!
True, the quality of the animation is a little under what the quality of the story itself is, and I think I did the same as you, I held off for a while to watch this because of it, but when I finally did, I had the same reaction as you did.
I haven't checked out the ones after since I was scared that they'd fall from the mark that the first held so well. But really need to check them out though.

EDIT: a @Miss Vicky nomination, of COURSE I love this film! lol

I don't know exactly where I placed that on my list for the animation countdown but I think it was top 3. I had part 2 high as well and I haven't seen part 3.

Way to go CaptainT!

I think I did the same as you, I held off for a while to watch this because of it, but when I finally did, I had the same reaction as you did.
I held off for awhile on it also. My issue though was that I was bothered by how much Toothless resembles Stitch (from Lilo and Stitch). Turns out the resemblance is because they're created by the same people despite the films being from different studios.

I haven't checked out the ones after since I was scared that they'd fall from the mark that the first held so well. But really need to check them out though.
I like the sequels but I do feel the quality of the storytelling fell off a bit and I don't love them. If I recall correctly @cricket actually liked the second film better than the original.

^^That might be right but of course I can't remember. I know I loved both of them.
Found your ballot:

Super Job Miss Vicky, with the countdown and soliciting voters. You deserve a ton of credit.

My list-

1. Ratatouille (2007)
2. How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)
3. Rango (2011)
4. How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
5. Persepolis (2007)
6. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
7. Animal Farm (1954)
8. Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
9. Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
10. Waltz with Bashir (2008)
11. The Plague Dogs (1982)
12. The Incredibles (2004)
13. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
14. Mary and Max (2009)
15. The Lion King (1994)
16. The Wind Rises (2013)
17. Pinocchio (1940)
18. Charlotte's Web (1973)
19. Kung Fu Panda (2008)
20. A Town Called Panic (2009)
21. Fantastic Planet (1973)
22. Felidae (1994)
23. Wrinkles (2011)
24. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) Near Miss
25. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

I ended up seeing 79/100, a few of those after the countdown started. Wolf Children would've easily made my top 5 if I had seen it prior.

I wasn’t around for the animation countdown, but HTTYD would have surely made my list, an excellent film!