The 19th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
This seems like a HOF @seanc would love
The Open Door Policy for late entries is still going on til June 1 and sean would be an excellent addition.

The Godfather

A movie that has barely aged at all since 1972, and it's shocking how well it holds up. The lighting and cinematography are both absolutely beautiful, the dialogue amazing, the characters so in depth. The transformation of Michael Corleone's character has to be one of the greatest character developments in all of cinematic history. Marlon Brando has the Godfather too, gosh, is it just wonderful. In the 18th Hall of Fame, I would have put this at #1 on my ballot without a second thought. Unfortunately, now that, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, and some other gems were nominated... Maybe 3rd?

But regardless, it's one of my favorite films of all time.

Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980)
Imdb

Date Watched: 05/28/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 19th Hall of Fame, nominated by jiraffejustin
Rewatch: No.

When I sit down to watch a film, I ask only one thing of it: that it makes me give a damn. Raging Bull failed to engage me on any level. It viewed as little more than a two hour long montage of chauvinism and douchebaggery. Now don't get me wrong: Normally I'll take a testosterone soaked film over an estrogen soaked one any day of the week, but this thing barely even had a discernible story to be had and La Motta was so completely one dimensional that it rendered the movie unrelentingly boring. The last time I reviewed Rocky, I called its protagonist a "dim-witted brute who can't ever seem to the shut the **** up" but damned if La Motta doesn't make Balboa look like a sophisticated intellectual by comparison. I hated Rocky too but I was at least engaged enough to want him to fail. I didn't give a damn one way or the other here.

Now there are things about Raging Bull that I might have been impressed by had I actually given even a fragment of a **** about it. De Niro made quite the physical transformation for his role (though that prosthetic nose was distracting) and the remainder of the cast did well and bravo for that, I guess. Whatever.

Looking back again at my last Rocky review, I ended it with "Screw this movie." As for Raging Bull, SCREW THIS MOVIE EVEN HARDER.

-

Just started Return to Paradise.. first seconds Vince Vaughn describes 5 weeks of partying in Malaysia, but then, they show their home video of 5 weeks partying in Thailand..?!?
Maybe it will make sense later..? on with the movie..

Return to Paradise 1998
***SPOILERS***

The Good:
Counting down the days on screen really built up the suspense, an excellent performance by Joaquin.
Good acting efforts by Vaughn, Heche and the guy that played Tony.
Vera Farmiga and Jada Pinket looked pretty cute back in '98.

The Bad:
The movie starts with a home video of three guys partying it up in Thailand.
Three smart and educated young men, (well at least one was smart enough to build skyscrapers) out of the thousands of places back in the early nineties, (there were so many party islands and exotic party destinations back then were you could smoke till you pass out without any repercussions.) they chose good ol death penalty Malaysia to do the up in smoke tour.
Besides that the following drama could have easily been avoided:
Get 150.000,-, bang sister, do 3 yrs. , come back do interviews get some news coverage and a heroes welcome home party, bang sister again, spend the 150K, the end.
But nooo… we get a lot of unnecessary drama because of so much disloyal, dishonorable, cowardice traits being displayed by Sheriff and Tony's characters, their thought process and decision making were pretty upsetting during a large portion of the movie.

The Ugly:
Anne Heche feet Aah!

Pulp Fiction

I've spoken several times on how much I love this movie. I suppose if I had any complaints about it, it's that the number of f-bombs makes the dialogue occasionally feel unrealistic. But that's really it. Pulp Fiction is a movie about how everybody, whether you be a common man or a hit man, has a normal life in which we can just chat about random bull before the important stuff happens. Through this, we learn to relate with anyone who's become a victim or is victimizing someone else. On occasion, Marsellus is a villain, but we... well, anyone with a heart would feel sorry for him after that. We also see on several occasions how its possible or these people to better their lives and turn away from crime, even if temporarily. These tales of redemption in the film get more and more effective as the end result steers closer to real moral redemption at the end of every arc. Every time I watch that movie, I pick up on new things that usually improve on the movie. This is well one of the best movies in all of history, even though I think Sin City is better.

Besides that the following drama could have easily been avoided:
Get 150.000,-, bang sister, come back do interviews get some news coverage and a heroes welcome home party, bang sister again, spend the 150K, the end.
I like how you conveniently skip over having to spend 3-6 years in Malaysian prison.

Raging Bull Looking back again at my last Rocky review, I ended it with "Screw this movie." As for Raging Bull, SCREW THIS MOVIE EVEN HARDER.
-
Ha, you do have a way with words! and I thought I was harsh on movies...I didn't care for Raging Bull either the one and only time I seen it and felt basically like you did. I'll rewatch it shortly and see if my opinion changes or not.

Let the night air cool you off

Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980)
Imdb

Date Watched: 05/28/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 19th Hall of Fame, nominated by jiraffejustin
Rewatch: No.

When I sit down to watch a film, I ask only one thing of it: that it makes me give a damn. Raging Bull failed to engage me on any level. It viewed as little more than a two hour long montage of chauvinism and douchebaggery. Now don't get me wrong: Normally I'll take a testosterone soaked film over an estrogen soaked one any day of the week, but this thing barely even had a discernible story to be had and La Motta was so completely one dimensional that it rendered the movie unrelentingly boring. The last time I reviewed Rocky, I called its protagonist a "dim-witted brute who can't ever seem to the shut the **** up" but damned if La Motta doesn't make Balboa look like a sophisticated intellectual by comparison. I hated Rocky too but I was at least engaged enough to want him to fail. I didn't give a damn one way or the other here.

Now there are things about Raging Bull that I might have been impressed by had I actually given even a fragment of a **** about it. De Niro made quite the physical transformation for his role (though that prosthetic nose was distracting) and the remainder of the cast did well and bravo for that, I guess. Whatever.

Looking back again at my last Rocky review, I ended it with "Screw this movie." As for Raging Bull, SCREW THIS MOVIE EVEN HARDER.

-

It's fair that you want a movie to make you give a damn, I get it, I do too. I can't speak for how much Raging Bull engaged you, but personally, I was invested the whole time. As far as the montage of chauvinism and douchebaggery, maybe your usage of the word montage is meant as a shot, but I don't think we are ever supposed to be in support of La Motta. I don't need a film to have characters that I should be supporting, but if that's your preference, that's fair. His behavior is never glorified, in fact, his behavior puts him in all kinds of bad situations. Plus, he is never comfortable in his own skin, which must be torture in itself. He winds up alienated. La Motta, at least this character, is 100% a piece of sh*t, but I think that's a symptom and not his problem. His jealousy, insecurities, and inability to control his anger basically consumed his life. Once again, if you don't want to watch a couple hours of this, I get it. However, I wouldn't call this film a typical testosterone soaked film when part of the film is about how La Motta couldn't get it up for his woman because he was too far into his own head. We find different things enjoyable in movies, but that's okay. Thanks for at least putting yourself through that experience. It sounds like it was your penance fight against Sugar Ray.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Gaslight (G. Cukor, 1944)

A noir that totally feels like a noir but that has a very different structure from the quintessencial noir.
The cinematography has some truly beautiful moments and the acting by the main lead is impeccable: It's amazing how I hated Gregory right from his first line. That energy is really spooky and really goes well with the contrasting innocence displayed by Ingrid Bergman.
I liked all those small characters, especially the old lady always coming in random moments, it brought some lightness to the screen.

A very solid nom.

+

Gonna go pick up Angel Face, Gaslight, The Godfather, and The Virgin Spring from the library today. I hope to get at least one watched today.

The Godfather (1972)

So what is it that people love about this movie? In a way it could be described as the ultimate soap opera. Now I know people use the phrase 'soap opera' negatively when talking about a movie, but not me. To me a film that's soap opera like, means it has a lot of heart and it has a lot of complex human interrelationships, and to me that's what makes a movie interesting. With a 'soap opera' movie if it's done well, you get so much more than just an action-thriller. The Godfather takes us inside of the Corleone family and make us a part of that closely woven family for a three hour journey. We see their hopes and aspirations, we learn the meaning of loyalty and respect, and we see how interconnected relationships can break down when loyalty is lost.

The first act is by far my favorite that's where we meet the Corleone family as they come together to celebrate their daughter's wedding. The Godfather is based on a rather lengthy novel and that's why the second and third acts seem condensed as the director is tying to squeeze this big story into a 3 hour movie. That's always a problem for lengthy/detailed novels being turned into a screen play. If this had been made as a 2 part movie, with 6 hours the full story could have been told exceptionally well. I do think highly of Francis Ford Coppola, and I've considered nominating a couple of his films. Well maybe one day I will. What keeps me from loving The Godfather, is that I'm not at all interested in organized crime or movies about it.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv_fpf-BvLjDF1kvV0rtzAHaEK.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	54612  

The Godfather (1972)

So what is it that people love about this movie? In a way it could be described as the ultimate soap opera. Now I know people use the phrase 'soap opera' negatively when talking about a movie, but not me. To me a film that's soap opera like, means it has a lot of heart and it has a lot of complex human interrelationships, and to me that's what makes a movie interesting. With a 'soap opera' movie if it's done well, you get so much more than just an action-thriller. The Godfather takes us inside of the Corleone family and make us a part of that closely woven family for a three hour journey. We see their hopes and aspirations, we learn the meaning of loyalty and respect, and we see how interconnected relationships can break down when loyalty is lost.

The first act is by far my favorite that's where we meet the Corleone family as they come together to celebrate their daughter's wedding. The Godfather is based on a rather lengthy novel and that's why the second and third acts seem condensed as the director is tying to squeeze this big story into a 3 hour movie. That's always a problem for lengthy/detailed novels being turned into a screen play. If this had been made as a 2 part movie, with 6 hours the full story could have been told exceptionally well. I do think highly of Francis Ford Coppola, and I've considered nominating a couple of his films. Well maybe one day I will. What keeps me from loving The Godfather, is that I'm not at all interested in organized crime or movies about it.
We've been waiting a long time for your review of this, Rules (mostly because it's not often you come across a movie aficionado who hasn't seen it, but also to get the perspective of someone seeing it for the first time in this day and age after having seen much of what came after and was influenced by it).

The big question is, have you seen part II yet?

My favorite part also is the the wedding - I guess I like the beginning and the end as I like the wedding and the climax of when Michael finally "turns" and decides to close all accounts in a manner of speaking!

WELL SH*T.

I went to the library. I checked out the movies. I went home. I took out the disc for Gaslight and put it in the player. I watched the movie. Liked it well enough. Then got on the computer to find a suitable gif and do my write up - only to discover that I watched the wrong ****ing movie. Awesome.

To be clear, I checked out the right movie from the library but didn't realize until after the fact that the disc has the 1940 version on one side and the 1944 version on the other. Guess which side I had it on?

Oh well. Off to my movie log to write it up anyway. Will watch the other version probably tomorrow. Damn it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Don't think I've ever seen the 1940 version. . . I did read that the MGM studio tried to destroy all the copies of the 1940 version when they made the 1944 version with Boyer and Bergman.
I read a similar bit about Boyer in Algiers and the (director?) bought the rights to the original Pepe le Moko. Using most of the secondary cast along with a lot of the on-location footage and kept the original film out of the U.S. for a year or two until Algiers got a good run at the movie theaters.
The original film ended up being the far better rendition, I learned, having previously no idea that there WAS an original.
So I'm awfully curious to see the comparison between the two Gaslights.