Careers Killed By One Movie

Tools    

Had a scan on search and surprised there's not a thread on this...

Actors whose career was killed by one movie...

Just sitting here watching Godzilla (1998) and was looking over Wiki while watching.
Maria Pitillo, who plays Audrey.

She had a decent career going for her. She'd been in a bunch of movies and TV shows... then, Godzilla happened, she got a Golden Raspberry for it... and well... that was that.
Since then she's had single episodes, in only 6 TV shows.

6 TV episodes in 18 years... after her career was initially made up of 11 TV series in recurring roles and almost 20 feature films.

---
Got any more?

Sean Connery...

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen did poor both box-office and reception-wise, but despite that may have killed his career too, it was Connery who pretty much chose to do a career suicide after working on the movie, because it was such an awfully terrible experience for him. A shame.

I can't think of actors, but for directors...
Michael Powell (Peeping Tom)
Michael Cimino (Heaven's Gate)
Cimino directed various films after Heavens Gate. Powell directed a few as well. Both careers were seriously damaged but neither were killed so they don't belong in this thread.

Charles Laughton never directing after the bad both critical and audience reaction to Night of the Hunter is the obvious one.

Sean Connery...

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen did poor both box-office and reception-wise, but despite that may have killed his career too, it was Connery who pretty much chose to do a career suicide after working on the movie, because it was such an awfully terrible experience for him. A shame.

Yeah Connery reckons it was his choice to leave acting.
Funny that, seeing as he made the movie in 2003. Then, in 2007, he said he was retiring, after 4 years without a single casting director or studio getting in contact with him.

Classic example: Elizabeth Berkley...Showgirls. She was on the fast track in Hollywood, but not after that movie.
Oddly enough, years latter and Showgirls has started gaining some respect.

I wanted to say Kevin James did himself in with the Paul Blart: Mall Cop movies.
But he's made a come back with another TV series.
Both of those movies as bad as i imagine they are were big commercial successes, not really something that kills a career. As long as there's still a demand for Adam Sandler type movies (there's no indication that there's not) Kevin James will have a career.

I've heard Chris O'Donnell's career was killed by Batman And Robin.
I think Batman Forever was the first nail, then B&R was the rest of the nails, the coffin, spade, dirt and headstone all in one.

Chris O'Donnell is a good one actually. He really disappeared after the Batman movies. Seems to have rebounded recently, he is the star of a CSI spin off i believe.

From what I've read Battlefield Earth killed the careers of almost everyone involved. Or, at least maimed them.

Classic example: Elizabeth Berkley...Showgirls. She was on the fast track in Hollywood, but not after that movie.
Oddly enough, years latter and Showgirls has started gaining some respect.

I'd say it gained a cult following. But respect?

^ not a bad shout...

Travolta went off the boil for a bit, then Tarantino brought him back with Pulp Fiction... then, Travolta figured that Broken Arrow and Battlefield Earth were good ideas.
Since then he's been in nothing notable. He's still getting steady amounts of work per year, but he'll never be the same. Plus, that weave he's trying to pass off as hair isn't doing him any favours either.

^ not a bad shout...

Travolta went off the boil for a bit, then Tarantino brought him back with Pulp Fiction... then, Travolta figured that Broken Arrow and Battlefield Earth were good ideas.
Since then he's been in nothing notable. He's still getting steady amounts of work per year, but he'll never be the same. Plus, that weave he's trying to pass off as hair isn't doing him any favours either.
Yeah Travolta head Staying Alive and Moment by Moment that kinda killed his career for a bit.

Come to think of it, I don't recall watching anything within the last decade featuring Travolta. Huh.

I'd say it gained a cult following. But respect?
Yeah, respect. Quite a few critics have reevaluated it, i've heard it called one of the best movies of the 90's by more than one. And not Armond White contrarian a-holes, respected critics who align with critical consensus plenty and are great at arguing their case. I completely disagree with them, i like it but i think it is terrible still it's interesting regardless. And of course they are in the minority.

Come to think of it, I don't recall watching anything within the last decade featuring Travolta. Huh.
hes probably busy working for the church of sciontology.