The 11th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Yeah, but quoting and directing it to me kind of looks like you are trying to argue a point with an obviously absurd post.
Yeah, I can see that now. I just wanted to bring up the job thing again because your post (though it wasn't serious) did make me think about it so I wanted to share my opinion, but the conversation had moved on to Scarlet's voice so I felt like I should quote something, and the parts of your post I included were the most relevant.

i just made the lobbyist joke because the idea of you quoting that post to make a serious point was pretty hilarious.
Maybe I do work for a major greeting card company, and this is all a ploy to get you to buy your gran a sappy card?

Fantastic write-up Swan.

Topsy's tepid review aside, it looks like my nom will be doing quite well. Thrilled to see that.

As to the assertion that Theodore "looks like someone that would fall in love with a computer," I don't think that's true, at least not in the context of the film's world. If you look at this shot with Chris Pratt, you'll see their style of dress is very similar and both have the bushy mustache thing going on, yet Pratt's character is in a healthy relationship with a physical girlfriend. I don't think Phoenix's look is really meant to set him apart as any kind of misfit or oddball. It's just a touch of that Jonze quirkiness.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and post the review I wrote of Her when I rewatched it a few months ago.

Her (Spike Jonze, 2013)
Imdb

Date Watched: 4/26/16
Cinema or Home: At work on my portable DVD player
Reason For Watching: I needed a Phoenix fix.
Rewatch: Yes

At its most basic, this is the story of a man who falls in love with an operating system. But what it's really about is loneliness and the struggle to connect. I think a lot of us find it hard to forge real, healthy relationships with other people. We let our anxieties and insecurities stand in our way. We're desperate to find friendship, love, and understanding but don't really know how to make those things happen. I know I've felt that way and I find a really strong emotional connection with this film.

Of course that connection could never happen without a truly great central performance and who better to take on that role than Joaquin Phoenix. As Theodore Twomley - one of Her's few characters - Phoenix carries the entire film on his shoulders and he does it with a grace, sensitivity, and humanity that few actors can accomplish. I feel every emotion that Theodore feels. It's very raw, very real, and very believable. To me, it is truly the greatest performance of his career and probably my favorite performance of anyone in any movie.

Which is not to say that the other performances in the film are lacking. Scarlett Johansson's husky, sensual voice is perfect as Samantha and she infuses her performance with a curiosity, confidence, enthusiasm and sexuality that is palpable even though we cannot see her. And the smaller roles, too, are very well done. Amy Adams does well in her quiet role as Theodore's friend and confidante. Chris Pratt is awkwardly endearing as Theodore's colleague and admirer of his work. And Kristen Wiig turns in a brief but outrageous voice performance as SexyKitten - in a bizarre scene that I'll leave for the uninitiated to discover on their own.

But as great as these performance are, they would be nothing without an exceptional director and (Oscar winning) screenplay behind them. Jonze has created something truly special. He's crafted a very human love story that isn't even about two humans. As with any Jonze film, it has its quirks, but if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and forget your notions of Siri, look past the high-waisted pants and the bushy mustache and let yourself fall in love with Her.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Embrace of the serpent (2015)

This was a mixed bag of a movie; some good parts, some not eaqualy good. I think I'll need to structure this review in a kind of boring way, just to make sure I get everything I want to cover out on the post. I also have to mention that I haven't red very much of the other reviews in this thread, just to make sure that what I write is my impressions and not a hodge podge of what everyone else has written. As such, if I go over stuff that the others have allready mentiond, bare with me. Also, I had some difficulties finding a working site to watch this. Neither the american nor the brittish version of Amazon allowed me to rent it(geographicly locked licencing or somthing) and to get a physical copy I'd be forced to pay $30. So I found a poorly subed, semi-legal workaround instead (who knew that a stumbling knowledge of spanish could actually come in handy)

And now, what I thought.

I can deffinitely second Tongo's oppinion of how the movie looks. The cinematography is excellent and the visuals are fantastic. It's such a shame they chose to shoot in b&w, though. I would've loved to see the rainforest in all it's green glory. Also, for about a third of the movie I thought that the actor playing the young Shaman had been sunbathing with pants on before going to the set as his upper body was a few shades darker than his lower. In fact, he was wearing bodypaint,() probably brightly colored too, but that was lost due to the choise of film. Is it a dealbreaker? No, the movie looks beautiful just the way it is, but such details could help sell the movie's climax even more.

WARNING: "ending of Embrace" spoilers below
Throughout the movie, the younger shaman wants to reunite with his people and all throughout the journey he's been furious at the companion of the scientist, berating him for leaving the old way behind as he sees it. When the shaman finally returns to his village, he's enraged to learn that the people there also have adapted more modern ways, above all western clothing. So when he, dressed up in his finest feather headdress and wearing the bodypaint, walks in to the main hut and finds a group of men in western clothing, they laugh at him. If you could've seen his bright bodypaint in contrast to their rather mundane khakis, it would've sold the point of him not fitting in even more.

Next up is the actors. I've never encountered any of them before to my knowledge, but I feel that the most praise goes to the three people we spend the most time with, and of those the prize for stealing the show goes to Nilbio Torres as the young Karamakate. A headstrong, verbaly abusive know-it-all who's laughter rings with derision. And a build that would make Schwarzenegger blush. He's hostile from the word go, even refusing to help a dying man with less than being bribed with the knowledge that his tribe still lives and that the sick man would show the way if Karamakate helped him. That said, the hostility doesn't come from nowhere, as white people and colombians attacked his village and forced him to flee, thinking that his entire tribe was slaughtered.

The sick man previously mentioned is the second of the three, Jan Bijvoet, portraying Theo, a german scientist on the hunt for a plant with healing properties. By his side is Manduca, his traveling companion, played by Yauenkü Migue. Together they've hunted for said flower for a very long time, establishing connections with local tribes and pushed themselves so far as to actually bring Theo to the brink of death from some unknown illness. They both get an opportunity to flex their acting muscles, but mostly they play second (and third) fiddle to Torres. The plot's mostly moved forward through him, either directly or through conversation between him and Theo.

Also, I've been calling him the young Karamakate for a reason. The character of Karamakate is portrayed by two actors, as this story runs parallel with another, set 40 years later as Karamakate again is confronted with the same rare flower. The old Karamakate is quieter, seems more weary and sufferes from a bad memory. He didn't make much of an impression on me, more than that of any stereotypical tribal elder; old, stoic and supposedly full of deep knowledge. Think old native american chieftain and you're pretty close. This part of the movie baerly cover a quarter of the running time, so heavy focus is put on the younger Karamakate, as well it should.

As to the story itself, I'm not going in to that here in any deapth, but all in all it's decent enough. The first 20-30 minutes draged a bit, and after that it was pretty much smooth sailing...err...canoing rather. They paddle a bit and talk, then they stop and somthing happens. Then they get into the canoe again and set off. Rinse and repeat. Infrequently the jump forward 40 years and spend some time with old Katamakate. Once you even get to see the same place twice, once with young Katamakate and then with the old one. It gets wierd.

So to sum up...good movie. Interesting plot, well acted and beautiful scenery. Not the most intense experience ever, but very competently put together. I liked it and could see myself rewatching it in a few years

Did you just purposely made your Joaquin avatar interact orally with that gif, MV?
Yes and no. Topsy's comment made me think of that gif (which is from Quills, another Phoenix film), but I've always loved how the two images look together when I post it.

I still need to see Quills...

Anyways, I have some good news to all y'all Hall of Famers! I'll finally, seriously, for real, no bullsh*t this time, act as a joker in this Hall of Fame.

I wanted to do it for the 10th, but we all knew that didn't go well... so, my plan is to participate as a joker in this one and then come strong with my own nom in the 12th HoF!

I already got the rewatch of Her down yesterday. Now I'm going for Moonrise Kingdom today, another rewatch.

I'll get around some reviews tomorrow!

Good Bye, Lenin! (2013)
Dir. Wolfgang Becker
Starring: Daniel Brühl, Chulpan Khamatova, Katrin Saß

Good Bye, Lenin! is a lot less comedic, and a lot more dramatic than I thought it was the last time I had seen it. The satire that exists within the film likely won't be as accessible to general audiences, but you don't need to be intimately familiar with the struggles of German reunification to sympathise with what the Kerners are going through, and luckily the film is still every bit as clever and moving as I remembered it being. The nostalgia for a place that no longer exists and the desire to create an idealized world, even if it is only for the sake of a sick family member, is not something you need to be German to understand.

The story starts just weeks before the fall of the Berlin Wall, and continues until German Unity Day the following year. Real documentary footage from this time is used throughout the film, and it serves to enhance both the dramatic and historical elements of the plot. Other than the political commentary, most of the comedy comes from the situations Alex finds himself in while trying to shield his mother from the truth of what's happening in the outside world. The Westernisation of the former Deutsche Demokratische Republik leads him into increasingly ridiculous predicaments, where he has to rely on his wits and improvisational skills to avoid “letting the cat out of the bag”. It may seem silly at face value, but it's fairly entertaining, and rather touching when you consider why Alex is trying so hard to succeed.

Good Bye, Lenin! is a film I seem to think about a lot, but I don't expect everyone to appreciate what it has to offer. At the very least I hope you guys can at find something enjoyable here, but I'd completely understand if you couldn't.

OK, i don't have a clue what is going on. I'm being told by someone that they think Guap is trolling with his nomination and that he usually doesn't watch all the films. Is this a serious nomination Guap and do you have the intention to watch all the films? I don't want a lot of stuff to start since we seem to have a good thing going here but we need to sort this out before we move on.
No trolling. Had it in my top 50 last time I made, great movie.

I will try to find a way to make it easy for you guys to watch it.

If you cannot find it, PM me.

Just picked up Le Cercle Rouge, Good Bye Lenin! and Moonrise Kingdom from the library. I'm going to try to get another movie watched tonight, probably Moonrise Kingdom since it's pretty short.