Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
The Big Short -

Once again, I feel like I need to specify that this is a "conflicted/ambivalent" 2.5 and not an "indifferent" 2.5.

Leave Her to Heaven (1945) 4/5

Gene Tierney is jaw-droppingly gorgeous here but hey, everybody knows that already.

Unregistered User
Been off work and Mofo for a week or so as was sick, so excuse the long list with zero thoughts.
The Importance of Being Earnest (1952) -

Dr No (1962) -
+
Gold Finger (1964) -

Wolf Creek 2 (2013) -

The Theory of Everything (2014) -

Boy Meets Girl (1984) -
+
The Night is Young (1986) -

Pieta (2012) -
+
Batman:The Movie (1966) -

How to Marry a Millionaire (1953) -

Marriage Italian Style (1964) -

A Matter of Life and Death (1946) -

My Darling Clementine (1946) -

Amy (2015) -

Finished here. It's been fun.

Orphans of the Storm
+

A visionary work of art. I find it rather odd that this isn't brought up more when talking about the greatest silent pictures of all-time.

I like the Coen Bros. I don't love 'em, I like em. Fargo and No Country for Old Men are very good, Blood Simple was good, and while I really like The Big Lebowski I am not a fan on the cult level other people are. Top it off, was not a fan of Barton Fink. And after all the mixed reviews on this site, I thought this might be be a letdown. Turns out it was not. I really liked this movie. An obvious love letter to the big studio era of filmmaking circa the 1950's. You have the fake movie Hail Caesar: The Tale of the Christ which is an obvious reference to one of my all time favorite films Ben-Hur, you have several scenes of old fashioned film-making with the water ballet (very Busby Berkeley), the western with a guy who I assume is supposed to be a John "Duke" Wayne kind of character, a musical number with a sort of Gene Kelly maybe character in Channing Tatum, and the Roman/Biblical epic as we have seen in the trailer. But we also get quite a few historical references as well. We hear of the studios loosing their control of the movie studios, we get a tie in to the Red Scare and the Cold War (which I thought was brilliant and hilarious), and how television was becoming the cinema's newest big compitition. Not to mention the cast is awesome. Now everyone knows of the really big names in the movie from the trailer, and yes Brolin, Johansson, Clooney, Hill, and the like were great, but I recognized others that I did not see in the trailer who were really good. Tilda Swinton has TWO roles in the movie as a pair of gossip columnist twins. And most awesome of all, not only do you have Clancey Brown as an actor opposite Clooney's centurion in the fake movie Hail Caesar! The Tale of the Christ, but his Highland costar Christopher Lambert plays a studio director in the movie! That is right, the Highlander and the Kurgen return for a movie together! Top it off Ralph Fiennes is a studio director in the movie too, and they even have a bit of fun that his name is Lawrence, but he pronounces it differently. You know, like how his name is RALPH but pronounces it RAIFF. I thought that was funny. So yeah, I enjoyed the movie. Also, the best scene in the movie for me was the scene where Brolin is in a meeting with the Catholic priest, the Catholic Decency guy, a Protestant, and a Rabbi. Very funny stuff.

I have to return some videotapes...
Not the last film I saw, but I did a review of Deadpool on my review page... here

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

The Danish Girl (2015)

Les Diaboliques (1955)

+

I remember when the remake came out and how bad it was supposed to be. So despite my love for thrillers, I had no interest in seeing it. I'm glad because I had no idea before watching it about what happens in this movie. I thought it was strange how in the beginning of this movie, the character's relationships and intentions seemed to be crystal clear. Sure enough, the mystery would start later on. I'm not someone who tries to guess twists, but for whatever reason, I saw this one coming. I've probably seen many movies that were influenced by this one. That may have kept me from loving the movie as much as I wanted to, but then again, I had extremely high hopes. It's still very well done and a whole lot of fun.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Sicario

(Denis Villeneuve)

You saw things you shouldn't have seen.

Villeneuve's recent output has been extremely tight filmmaking. Prisoner was a mature take on revenge and how far one grieving parent will go to get their child back. In the same here he teamed up with Gyllenhaal for Enemy, a mind boggling film about one man's quest to find his purpose after discovering an exact double of his living in the world. To try and decipher Enemy might give you a headache. Now he gives us Sicario, an expertly crafted film from a talented director. So why did I not enjoy the film that much?

Review

Suspect's Reviews

Sicario

(Denis Villeneuve)

You saw things you shouldn't have seen.

Villeneuve's recent output has been extremely tight filmmaking. Prisoner was a mature take on revenge and how far one grieving parent will go to get their child back. In the same here he teamed up with Gyllenhaal for Enemy, a mind boggling film about one man's quest to find his purpose after discovering an exact double of his living in the world. To try and decipher Enemy might give you a headache. Now he gives us Sicario, an expertly crafted film from a talented director. So why did I not enjoy the film that much?

Review
Enemy is probably the most underrated film of the past 5 years... like it just as much as Prisoners I would say.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Enemy is probably the most underrated film of the past 5 years... like it just as much as Prisoners I would say.
Shot in my area. The car accident sequence is a road I drive down everyday.

Shot in my area. The car accident sequence is a road I drive down everyday.
Hahaha that's cool. I live in LA and in Nightcrawler there is a shot in a mini mall where I eat dinner almost every week.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
To Catch a Thief (Alfred Hitchcock, 1955)

A nice way to finish all the Hitch films made in the 50s.
Cary Grant does really well on this type of role and Grace Kelly is just charming! It's like a earlier, not so perfected version of North by Northwest. The script is lovely and, though there are some pacing issues, the movie is entertaining enough.
A very light thriller with some really nice moments and a very nice direction by the usual suspect!

I'm starting to really love the old man!!

+

Enemy is without a doubt one of the most boring movie ever made... it's extremely overrated 6.8 on IMDb is way too high

I'm not particularly sure on ratings, but these two left me dissapointed...

Spotlight
(Tom McCarthy, 2015)

Nothing here really impressed me that much. Everything just seemed so standard, like a made for TV documentary but with big movie stars playing the parts. Nothing cinematic in the way the story is told, no through dialogue or visually. I felt like there were a lot of missed opportunities to go beyond what turned out to be a really simple plot. There were scenes, moments which seemed to be begging to explore in greater depth - the church and why the scandal occurred and why it was covered up, the priests who committed the abuse (a scene about halfway through is one of the most memorable relating to this, and is never again revisted), the victims and their story, or those who perhaps could have acted earlier. I'm not sure why everyone is raving about this, an easy comparison to make given the setting but it really is a poor man's All The President's Men. I saw too that Rachel McAdams got nominated for an Oscar for her performance... really really lazy nomination, not that she's bad, but she doesn't really have that much acting to do here.

Room (Lenny Abrahamson, 2015)

Unlike Spotlight, Room at least made some effort to tell its story in a cinematic way. I found myself very interested in the first hour, the scenes with Tremblay and Larson in "room" were very good, the world and characters were developed well, I felt emotional at times, I was on the edge of my seat as to what would happen next. Then in the second half the film goes massively downhill. It's like they had the first hour, the concept of this room, but beyond that had no idea where to take the film. Again, it touches on various different issues, but never really explores or justifies their inclusion in a satisfying way for me.