The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid I really want to see. Looks like a film I'd like.

For a Few Dollars More was my #10! But it's one of those films I didn't quite get my head around the first time. Not that it's a truly complicated and metaphorical film or anything like that but I just felt like I would've enjoyed it so much more if I was more invested in it. I think a rewatch will do wonders, but for now making it into my top 10 definitely shows it's a movie I like a whole lot.

The People's Republic of Clogher
So far....

5. For A Few Dollars More #22
6. The Great Escape #30
8. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance #52
12. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid #21
15. Cape Fear #84
16. The Dirty Dozen #71
17. Bonnie & Clyde #45
18. The Manchurian Candidate #34
19. Easy Rider #38
21. A Fistful Of Dollars #51
22. La Dolce Vita #25
25. Carry On Camping #Forever in our hearts

Swingin!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
West Side Story was #6 on my list. I fell in love with this musical before I ever saw the film, when I had the soundtrack on cassette when I was about 9. When I first saw the film I was a bit taken aback by the dancing and some of the casting, but once I got used to that, I loved it. A classic story, neatly updated, with great songs, a little edgier than some other 60s musicals but still one to watch again and again.

Harakiri was not on my list but I watched it recently and thought it was mostly very good. A very bleak story.

The Hustler is another one I saw recently, pretty good but not a favourite.

La Dolce Vita - I absolutely hated this when I watched it although it was some years ago now.

High and Low didn't really grab me all that much.

For a Few Dollars More I haven't seen.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was very nearly on my list. If I had made my list a year ago without watching any more 60s films, it would have been. But then my list might not have stretched to 25. A lot of fun. Another Western that almost made it should be coming up soon. (Probably, it's hard to predict everyone's taste on here sometimes.)

Really disliked For a Few Dollars more (and The Good the Bad & the Ugly) but having since watched A Fistful of Dollars and Once Upon a Time in the West and enjoyed them I feel like I'll appreciate it more when I rewatch it.

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid was mostly very good but I didn't vote for it.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
7. High & Low
8. The Human Condition III
9. Judgement at Nuremberg
10. An Autumn Afternoon
13. In the Heat of the Night
16. Harakiri
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
24. Z
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 68 of 80

The Breakdown...

Night of the Living Dead

2x 1st (50 points), 2x 4th (44 points), 5th (21 points), 7th (19 points), 8th (18 points), 10th (16 points), 2x 11th (30 points), 12th (14 points), 2x 13th (26 points), 15th (11 points), 17th (9 points), 3x 19th (21 points), 2x 20th (12 points), 24th (2 points), 3x 25th (3 points)

Woman in the Dunes

2nd (24 points), 3x 3rd (69 points), 4x 4th (88 points), 7th (19 points), 9th (17 points), 11th (15 points), 13th (13 points), 2x 16th (20 points), 2x 17th (18 points), 18th (8 points), 2x 19th (14 points), 21st (5 points),

Notes

Both films were the only to receive their respective amount of points, so no tie breaking was needed.

Dead was my #1... I had it predicted as a definite, but was hoping for a Top 10 entry for it.
Glad it's in though, 20th place is solid

1. Night Of The Living Dead (1968) - 20th
2. Definitely Top 10
3. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
4. The Hustler (1961) - 26th
5. Definitely
6. The Innocents (1961) - 32nd
7. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
8. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
9. The Haunting (1963) - 42nd
10. True Grit (1969) - 72nd
11. Definitely Top 10
12. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969) - 21st
13. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
14. Peeping Tom (1960) - 33rd
15. Cape Fear (1962) - 84th
16. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
17. The Great Escape (1963) - 30th
18. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
19. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
20. Easy Rider (1969) - 38th
21. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
22. Definitely Top 10
23. West Side Story (1961) - 28th
24. Pretty sure it’ll make it, maybe Top 20
25. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20

296 POINTS • 24 LISTS
Thank God.

I've been really worried the past few days that this movie wouldn't show up.

It was #4 on my list, but I kinda wish I had put it at #1.

I recently rewatched it again -- it's the main reason I made the thread OMG THERE ARE ZOMBIES OUTSIDE!!!!!

It's a monumental horror movie. FAR better than that overrated Dawn of the Dead.

YES! Another one from my list! Night of the Living Dead is my number 4, and has been one of my favorite films for years. It is one of the best horror movies ever, and one of the great Midnight Movies. One I hope to see on the big screen hopefully sometime this October. I just hope one of the theaters near me thinks that would be a great film to show in October.

1. Will show. Top 10 probably
2. Will show
3. Le Samourai (1967) #24
4. Night of the Living Dead (1968) #20
5. A Fistful of Dollars (1964) #51
6. Pretty sure will show
7. High and Low (1963) #23
8. The Hustler (1961) #26
9. Will show. Top 10 easy.
10. The Manchurian Candidate (1962) #34
11. The Battle of Algiers (1966) # 69
12. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) #73
13. Red Beard (1965) #60
14. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) #29
15. More then likely will show
16. True Grit (1969) #72
17. Doubt it
18. Could be Number 1
19. Will make it. Soon then later I am sure.
20. The Great Escape (1963) #30
21. Will show up
22. Easy top 10
23. Easy top 10
24. Peeping Tom (1960) #33
25. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) (1 Pointer)

Thank God.

I've been really worried the past few days that this movie wouldn't show up.

It was #4 on my list, but I kinda wish I had put it at #1.

I recently rewatched it again -- it's the main reason I made the thread OMG THERE ARE ZOMBIES OUTSIDE!!!!!

It's a monumental horror movie. FAR better than that overrated Dawn of the Dead.
Great minds think alike it seems.

I remember last year Holden Pike talked about how the list changed over time based on who was submitting lists, so I'll share some similar information here.

Night of the Living Dead was actually in the top five spots for a long time. For whatever reason(s) horror fans seem to be the first to get their lists in, I think Holden said Alien occupied the top spot for the Seventies list for a while, and the same think happened here. It still picked up a decent amount of points throughout, but a lot of them came early on from its big fans

Similar happened with the comics list I did. Though not horror, Batman.

TDK immediately took the lead and never once got over taken during any of the entries. I think it outscored 2nd place by about 200 points in the end.

Oh yes, the Slut in the Dunes. Just the thought of spending the rest of my life trapped in a sandpit with a dirty, sweaty Japanese chick both terrifies me and completely turns me on. There's more to the movie than that, but I loved it anyway. Watching it again when Swan nominated it for a HoF probably moved it up my list a couple of spots. I had it at #16.

Night of the Living Dead is a long time favorite, and one of the first movies I can remember watching. I did not vote for it, but I do love it.

My list-

#1 Elmer Gantry
#2 Onibaba
#3 Contempt
#6 Hud
#7 The Umbrellas of Cherbourg*
#8 Harakiri
#9 The Hustler
#11 Inherit the Wind
#12 High and Low
#13 Breakfast at Tiffany's
#15 An Autumn Afternoon
#16 Woman in the Dunes
#18 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
#22 The Battle of Algiers
#23 They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
#25 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Night of the Living Dead is a really cool flick! I really got into the mood and enjoyed seeing the small group of people fighting the zombies! It also has a pretty funny scene that I don't think would be okay with the producers today, but back then they didn't care! Of course, I'm talking about this scene:

I don't know why I find it funny, but I do. LOL. I give it
but chances are that I will increase the rating after a rewatch.

Woman in the Dunes is not my favourite Teshigahara film (the title goes to The Face of Another), but it's a masterpiece anyway (even though I 'only' give it
). The music is amazing. The cinematography beyond amazing. Everything is amazing, but I guess I have to rewatch it as I don't remember much except for the movie was great!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

At this point the question for me is how high can The Apartment make it. A top ten finish would make me beyond happy but I am not expecting it.

I also don't know whether to be scared for The Birds or happy. No way that didn't make 100, right?