Sane's AsiaPac Top 100

→ in
Tools    

Seems like everyone is doing Top 100s so thought I'd join in with something a bit different - my top 100 from the Asia/Pacific area.

Why Asia/Pacific? Well, basically because that's where my wife and I are from and it's where a lot of the movies we watch are from

It'll take me a while to get through this but hopefully people will find it interesting.

100. Ploy (2007) - Pen-Ek Ratanaruang

Genre: Drama

Let the night air cool you off
This sounds really cool. I love specialized lists like this. I doubt I will have seen many of these, but my watchlist will undoubtedly grow.

I doubt I'll know too much, but I'll pop in from time to time to see how it's going.
Cool. I'm including youtube videos so hopefully people can find something they might want to check out if they haven't seen much. Apart from the "arthouse" stuff there will be quite a lot of more mainstream Asian films - and the Pac part allows me to include stuff from Australia and NZ which you might have seen

It may seem like a funny question, but would you consider that Zatoichi movie a comedy? IMDb has it listed as one, which is why I ask.
All of Kitano's movies are funny at times - even the more serious themed movies like Sonatine or Fireworks. I guess because he started as a comedian he can't help it. Strangely enough the only film of his I've seen that was purely a comedy I found less funny than his serious films.

Zatoichi is kind of a fun action movie with large doses of Kitano's trademark humour

Seems like everyone is doing Top 100s so thought I'd join in with something a bit different - my top 100 from the Asia/Pacific area.

Why Asia/Pacific? Well, basically because that's where my wife and I are from and it's where a lot of the movies we watch are from

It'll take me a while to get through this but hopefully people will find it interesting.

100. Ploy (2007) - Pen-Ek Ratanaruang

Genre: Drama
Pen-Ek Ratanaruang is a unique director. Both Headshot and Last Life in the Universe were incredibly visceral experiences.

If it showed up on a comedy list, would it surprise you?
It'd surprise me. I don't remember it that way. Though I've only seen it once and I wasn't impressed at all. First time I can remmeber CGI blood, too.

Pen-Ek Ratanaruang is a unique director. Both Headshot and Last Life in the Universe were incredibly visceral experiences.
I've seen LLitU but not Headshot. Invisible Waves is the other Ratanaruang movie I've seen. Both he and Weerasethakul are fascinating directors and whilst I wouldn't say I completely "get" what they are going for all the time, I really like their style.

Headshot is pretty crazy. Weerasethakul can be impossible at times, yet I've liked everything he's done so far. I don't even bother trying to "get" them. I'd rather just experience them through the senses.

Excellent idea Sane! Look forward to getting some recommendations

Of your list so far I've seen Fallen Angels and Zatoichi, I've seen most of Kitano's work and really like him as a director and actor. I love the last scenes in Zatoichi they're really joyous

Excellent idea Sane! Look forward to getting some recommendations

Of your list so far I've seen Fallen Angels and Zatoichi, I've seen most of Kitano's work and really like him as a director and actor. I love the last scenes in Zatoichi they're really joyous
Kitano knows fun What makes him quite exceptional though is how well he also deals with drama and tragedy.

He will have a movie in the top 10 of this list that left me emotionally drained - for days almost. It's probably not one of his better known films but I absolutely adored it.