The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Fail-Safe was my #12. I expected it to place at least thirty spots higher, but I guess the low placement is fitting for a film that has always been unjustly overshadowed by its satirical brother. The two films -- Fail-Safe and Dr. Strangelove -- make a great double feature. Same premise, vastly different tones. I guess there's something to be said for taking the piss out of nuclear warfare, as Kubrick did, by illustrating the absurdity of war and reducing us to cartoonish buffoons hellbent on destroying ourselves, but grinning sardonically at mutually assured destruction also runs the risk of trivializing the matter. Fail-Safe, on the other hand, brings to life the horrors and the paranoia of the Cold War better than any other film I've seen. It makes me glad that I wasn't alive during that time period. The stark black-and-white cinematography mirrors the bleak tone of the film. Despite the global repercussions of the plot, the film maintains a restricted, constrained, claustrophobic atmosphere, instilling in viewers the same helpless feeling of impending, inescapable doom as the characters on screen. I'm amazed by how much tension and suspense Sidney Lumet was able to squeeze out of something as deceptively simple as Henry Fonda sitting in a room with a phone. The ending, with the words, "The matador . . . the matador," echoing like a prelude to Colonel Kurtz's, "The horror . . . the horror," is bold and haunting and devastating. I've seen people say that a president would never make such an eye-for-an-eye decision, but those people are far more optimistic than I am. Fail-Safe is as pessimistic as any film you'll find, and that's partly why I love it.

Knife in the Water was my #16. It's one of three Polanski films to make my list (so suck it, Rodent! ). I wasn't sure if it would crack the Countdown or not, so I'm very pleased to see it on here. People have said that the film is a political statement, but I know nothing about the political nature of Poland in 1962, so that aspect is lost on me. Not that it matters, of course, because Knife in the Water is brilliant on multiple levels. Visually, the film is stunning. Polanski proves in his debut that he was born to be a filmmaker. Every shot is gorgeous. The majority of the film takes place on a sailboat, yet the camera never feels restricted. I rarely pay attention to things like framing techniques when watching a film, but the technical aspect of Knife in the Water is so masterful that it's impossible not to notice such details. The same can be said for the excellent jazz score, which perfectly accentuates the mood and underlying tension. Knife in the Water is a deeply psychological film with a minimalistic approach. It is a film of things unspoken, things implied, where motivations are more important than actions. On my first watch, I wasn't sure if the film would end with a threesome or a floating corpse. Both outcomes seemed equally plausible. The whole thing is fascinating and mesmerizing to watch. There are many reasons why I love this film: the sexual tension, the male posturing, the mind games, the ominous sense of danger lurking beneath the surface . . . the recurring symbolism, like the retractable knife, a phallic symbol, around which much of the confrontation revolves . . . the thoughtful ambiguity, exemplified by the crossroads ending . . . not to mention an attractive woman in a revealing bikini for the majority of the run-time (). Like the best literature, Knife in the Water is a film that lends itself expertly to discussion and analysis, making it a rewarding film that reveals more and more of its subtleties with every viewing. It's also one of the first foreign films I watched when I first started exploring the wider world of cinema, which probably plays a small part in why I hold this film in such high esteem. I think it's pretty damn close to a masterpiece.

My List So Far:
#12) Fail-Safe
#16) Knife in the Water

I've seen 3 of the last 6 and voted for none.

I couldn't get into The Human Condition but would still recommend watching it over about a bajillion other WWII films (including Bridge on the River Kwai). The main character just felt way too saintly to me. But I imagine it might have been pretty powerful for some of the Japanese audience who were experiencing deja vu seeing former Manchukuo official and suspected war-criminal Nobusuke Kishi appointed Prime Minister. I also feel a bit uncomfortable saying this - we're talking about a regime that deserves to be condemned in no uncertain terms for, among other things, performing live vivisections and other horrific experiments on thousands of Chinese civilians - but I found all three movies a bit heavy-handed and, ultimately, dull.

Knife in the Water is pretty good and overdue for a re-watch.

I don't remember Fail Safe much beyond the premise so, "no comment."

A system of cells interlinked
Knife in the Water was on my list almost until the very end, getting cut a day before I turned my list in; maybe I should have left it on... A great little film from Polanski!

The Breakdown...

Oliver!

3rd (23 points), 14th (12 points), 16th (10 points), 17th (9 points), 18th (8 points), 22nd (4 points)

My Night At Maud's

6th (20 points), 8th (18 points), 9th (17 points), 14th (12 points)

Notes

Oliver! was the only film to receive 66 points. My Night At Maud's received the same amount of points as another film, but appears first as it appeared on less lists.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I didn't vote for Oliver! in the end, but it was a close thing. Great musical. A few parts with Oliver himself are a bit cringey and sentimental but then again so they are in the book as well.

Haven't seen My Night With Maud.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Oliver!

3rd (23 points), 14th (12 points), 16th (10 points), 17th (9 points), 18th (8 points), 22nd (4 points)
Wow! "Oliver!" appeared on that many lists? Well, to each his own, huh? I thought it was a very good movie, but I honestly never even considered it.

My Night at Mauds has some great dialogue and acting, but overall I found it to be a very slow film. Technically it's a very good film, but it drags despite a short run time. There is another film from Rohmers moral tales series that did make my list though, doubt it will make this one now though. Have not seen Oliver!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Heard of both but didn't watch either of them... Never had the intention to watch Oliver!. My Night at Maud's was on my watchlist but I didn't have time to give it a go!

Oliver was my number 3. I'm not dead mad about musicals, but this one has great sentimental memories for me. I love it to pieces and the songs are really special. Great actors too, Oliver Reed as the nasty piece of work Bill Sikes, Shani Wallace as a fine Nancy, the lovely little boy Mark Lester as the fragile Oliver, then the saucy Jack Wild full of life as the Dodger and Ron Moody as Fagin. I bet I know all those song lyrics off by heart

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
My Night at Maud's is the first from my list at 14. It's not one of my favorite Rohmer movies and I have another higher on the list that has no chance of making it but Maud's deserves recognition. It's the best photographed of his Moral Tales next to Claire's Knee and probably his most formally strict of the series. All of his performances are, as usual, complex and multilayered, where a single glance or pause expresses more than most characters can express in a 3 hour movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Nope, I didn't vote for Oliver! and you know there's no way I voted for My Night at Maud's although it's one of the better Rohmer I've seen. I do like Oliver!, which I've watched many times and at the theatre, but I don't think it's up there with the three musicals I did include on my list. Three, you say? Tough toenails.

Still haven't seen any of the movies on the list.
I've only seen Fail Safe, which I didn't vote for. I haven't seen any of the one pointers either. Of course, if just one other person had voted for my number 2 movie, of if one of the other two who voted for it had it just one place higher, I would've seen two on the countdown.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Oliver! was #22 on my list. It was the lowest placing musical on my list, but it was up against some tough competition. Hopefully the rest of the musicals on my list will also make the countdown.

My Night at Maud's is the 2nd movie to show that I haven't seen, so I'll fix that. I watched a different Rohmer for this countdown, and have enjoyed the two I've seen from him overall.

I didn't dislike Oliver, but it was a tough watch for me.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I do like Oliver!, which I've watched many times and at the theatre, but I don't think it's up there with the three musicals I did include on my list. Three, you say?
We both have three. Very curious to see what yours will be.

I watched Oliver a couple of years ago. I didn't expect to like it much but I really enjoyed it, much more than I would have thought possible. Of course Dickens stories are still fresh today and it's a great tale. I didn't have room on my list but I could easily seen it included if I had the room.

Yeah, My Night at Maud was my #9 I absolutely adore this film and I personally find it to be the best Rohmer (Claire's Knee is very close). I love movie with intelligent dialogues, philosophical interrogation, etc. and My Night at Maud is condensed philosophy.

I've not sen Oliver unfortunately, but I plan to.