The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

24. Caligula (1979) (I put this on my list just because it's two points and Caligula really deserved to be on my list.)
25. Pumping Iron (1977) (this was supposed to be my 1 pointer movie that would show up with the other 1 pointer movies, but Yoda ruined this whole plan for me. I should have put Caligula here.)
You aren't the only person who had Caligula on their list, either, so you still wouldn't have been part of the one-pointer roll call. There are so very many awful movies you could have gone to, if you just wanted to be sure to be the only one to vote for something (because that's fun???). Shaft in Africa. I Spit On Your Grave. Starcrash. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Empire of the Ants. The Boatniks. Trog. Frogs. The Shaggy D.A. The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Rocky II (oh, wait).

But how you didn't choose Schwarzenegger's debut (originally dubbed) in Hercules in New York?....I'm baffled, stunned, and incredibly disappointed in you.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've never seen Hercules in New York. Although it was available on TV (on demand) for a long, long time, but I never got to it.

If you want, you can add I Spit On Your Grave to the list of 1 pointer movies. I'll forget all about Pumping Iron and pretend it was on my list all along. That's a good 1 pointer movie.

If you want, you can add I Spit On Your Grave to the list of 1 pointer movies. I'll forget all about Pumping Iron and pretend it was on my list all along. That's a good 1 pointer movie.
You always make such nice offers, but as usual, I'm good. Thanks, but no thanks, on that bridge to nowhere.

You always make such nice offers, but as usual, I'm good. Thanks, but no thanks, on that bridge to nowhere.
I'm good, too, then. Anytime you need some help, don't call on me!

The Conversation is another from my list, #21. Seen bits and pieces of Halloween, never all the way through.

1. Annie Hall
2. Picnic at Hanging Rock
3. Network
4. Hausu
6. Harold and Maude
9. Carrie
13. Being There
14. Blazing Saddles
15. Nashville
16. American Graffiti
19. Walkabout
21. The Conversation
22. A Woman Under the Influence
25. Aguirre, the Wrath of God

The Conversation just didn't grab me like I thought it would. I've thought since that maybe I just had a bad day. It was ok for me but I should really watch it again.

I feel the same way about Halloween as I do The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I think of it as a great classic, but when I watch the movie, I don't think it's as great as the image I have surrounding it.

Unregistered User
I honestly thought The Conversation would be higher. It was my no. 3 as far as I remember. That makes 11 from my list so far and i expect another 12 to make it.. Seen 68 of the 84.

Oh:

You aren't the only person who had Caligula on their list, either
This actually doesn't surprise me. It's why I gave Caligula two points. I figured it would be on someone else's list. I wonder who? Gunslinger? Miss Vicky? Honeykid?

I hope it wasn't just one other person and they only gave it one point. Then I would have ruined Caligula's chance of showing up as a 1 point movie. I'm very sorry. More sorry than Yoda, who doesn't care that I was trying to preserve Pumping Iron forever as a monumental 1 point movie.

Of course. The absolute worst horror movie of all time makes the list.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I was responsible for one of The Conversation’s two ninth placers
And I the other.

Halloween had the better score, though. I'll give it that...

Out of the last few sets i regrettably never got around to McCabe & Mrs Miller, Stalker, The Long Goodbye, or The Conversation. All will be watched soon enough though.

Aguirre was 14th on my list. For me personally Klaus Kinskis performance here is among my top 5 of all time. Also Herzog is beggining to become one of my favourite directors, even though i haven't seen a significant amount of his films yet. If i had watched this a second time there's a good chance it would've been alot higher.

Halloween has always been an enjoyable horror for me, but was never really in contention for my list. Maybe a rewatch would have changed this but it was never really a priority.

Seen - 51/84
My List - 11/25

4.Eraserhead
10.The Jerk
12.Paper Moon
13.Dog Day Afternoon
14.Aguirre, the Wrath of God
15.Five Easy Pieces
16.Enter The Dragon
18.Manhattan
19.The Outlaw Josey Wales
20.Little Big Man
21.Mean Streets

My List So Far:

2. The Conformist (1970) #71.
8. Walkabout (1971) #67.
15. Deliverance (1972) #51.
10. Solaris (1972) #39.
11. The Deer Hunter (1978) #38
13. Eraserhead (1977) #26
18. Halloween (1978) #17
21. The Conversation (1974) #18
25. La grande bouffe (1973) (1 point, not on the countdown)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Seen both The Conversation and Halloween. Halloween is one of my favourite films, and The Conversation was on my list (though a fair bit lower, but it's still a good film).

The Conversation is a fantastic film and it was a big contender for my list, but I ultimately went with another Gene Hackman film that is regretfully not going to make this list.

Oh well, his two most important films of the '70s have made it and there are two films in which he plays a supporting role that are also on this list (one still has to appear). He probably won't mind.

Anyway, The Conversation is a brilliant film. It's moody, it's smart and it's impeccably executed across the entire line. It's a very personal film made by a director who was probably the most succesful and biggest filmmaker of that time.

18. The Conversation –

Haven't seen Halloween yet.

Neither were on my list. I like The Conversation a lot, I'll have to watch it again to decide whether it's a very good or great film, but I am glad it made the top half of the list. Great atmosphere and as I have mentioned before it really is a product of the 70s era with a lot of films focusing on the paranoia of the decade.
+

I have wrote about Halloween quite a bit on here, I don't dislike it but I think that it is massively overrated. Carpenter knows what he's doing in terms of style and atmosphere (he's obviously a big movie buff after his very different stylistic remakes of Rio Bravo and The Thing From Another World), but apart from that I think it doesn't have the story/content to make it as strong as some horror greats.
-

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
My list

9 Enter The Dragon (24)
11 Grease (59)
13 Superman (23)
14 Deliverance (51)
15 The Warriors (37)
16 Halloween (17)
17 Dog Day Afternoon (28)
18 Texas Chainsaw Massacre (25)
19 Rocky II (63)
21 Badlands (58)
22 Serpico (55)
23 Solaris (39)
25 The Lords of Flatbush (My One-Pointer)

The Conversation is a fantastic film and it was a big contender for my list, but I ultimately went with another Gene Hackman film that is regretfully not going to make this list.

Oh well, his two most important films of the '70s have made it and there are two films in which he plays a supporting role that are also on this list (one still has to appear). He probably won't mind.

Anyway, The Conversation is a brilliant film. It's moody, it's smart and it's impeccably executed across the entire line. It's a very personal film made by a director who was probably the most succesful and biggest filmmaker of that time.

18. The Conversation –

Haven't seen Halloween yet.
You need to watch Halloween - I think it's fantastic.

I don't think I've seen either of this pair.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
3. The Long Goodbye (#19)
4. Harold and Maude (#27)
5. Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
10. Dog Day Afternoon (#28)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
21. Network (#32)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Here is the best duo this list has seen so far! The Conversation was one of my last cuts, it's a very good film and had I seen it again maybe it would have had a chance to make my list. Unfortunately it didn't.

Slashers came before Halloween, but I still give Halloween the credit as the pioneer of its genre. I'm not a big fan of the genre, but this is one of my favorite horror movies of all time. I had it at number 3 on my list. That is the eleventh film to show up for me.

Won't be able to redraft this any better than i did in my Top 50, so here it is.

This flick seems to be a point of contention amongst some of us regulars at MovieForums. I can put Halloween in and enjoy it like the breeze at pretty much any time. It brings me back to my memories in my childhood running around with my friends in the neighborhood trick-or-treating on Halloween night. I always loved to see the scary decorations people would put up. As a kid I loved the atmosphere of Halloween night, & the smell of burning pumpkins. Well, John Carpenter captures that same thing here, for me. He essentially created a legend of Halloween night, Michael Myers. The Shape, donning a pale white William Shatner mask. Carpenter's original vision was that he'd create a new Halloween story each year, but that didn't end up working out for him, as the market demanded more Michael Myers. It is low budget, crafty camera tricks, & that music. I never try and think of this as more than a fun Halloween adventure, and that's why I love it. Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year
My List
2) Halloween
5) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
11) Enter the Dragon
12) Serpico
13) Superman
15) Coffy (confirmed miss)
16) Aguirre, Wrath of God
18) Suspiria
19) Dawn of the Dead
23) American Graffiti
25) Grease