The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Oh, I'm sure you got Silence. Cause you get everything this time.

I think I actually prefer Thief's guess of A Quiet Place. I'm more confident in my guess for 44.

Two from my list, & the first since Hereditary. I wasn't to sure if either would make it but both very noble entries. I knew Mark F would vote for Act of Killing but wasn't sure if enough folks loved it enough to get more T25 placements. Glad to see it make the cut, and even bounce into the top 50. Though I will say, I wasn't a particular fan of the companion piece (The Look of Silence)

Midnight In Paris is a charming film, which feels a little gimmicky but that is overrun by its sophistication, wit, and ambiance. Truly one of Woodys top tier works

I haven't seen John Wick or Logan

My List:
6. Hereditary (2018)
13. The Act of Killing (2012)
18. Midnight in Paris (2011)
25. Death at a Funeral (2010) (1 PTER)

The Act of Killing (2012, Oppenheimer)

The Act of Killing isn't only one of the greatest documentaries I've ever seen, it's one of the best films I've seen in months. A haunting testament, in which brave filmmaker interviews self proclaimed Indonesian gangsters who par took in the 1960 killing of communists. What separates this from other documentaries, is these men are asked to recreate these events in anyway they want, and what follows can shake a man to his core. An aged gangster named Anwar is the second director (in a sense) goes from boastful to believably humbled, in a micro level the ending is satisfying.

Anwar presenting the movie to his grandchildren

But on a macro level the film really shows how scary Indonesia is, a political party, Pemuda Pancasila, is truly boastful about the genocide, and are more than open about current corruption. Why wouldn't they be, the Vice President is a member, governors advocate killing Chinese neo communists, the mass murders are the hero's. A leader of a news paper speaks openly about how he changed statements of alleged communists to get them killed. Of course I always knew corruption is prevalent in developing regions, but i didn't realize this was something to be cocky about.

The recreations are frantically heartfelt, but have a sound surrealism. The colorful pictures make depictions of genocide and death, beautiful. I took great joy seeing the director momentarily breaking his silence at the end, it was honorable of him to make the film, and he kept a great balance of not intervening and putting in a word. During the credits half the names are just, Anonymous, even though the gangsters and media took pride in the genocidal heritage, perhaps the end result is something to fear for Indonesian culture. I will try to watch the extended 160 minute version eventually, but for now this has affected beyond any standard documentary.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson IIII
Jessica Chastain III
Mark Ruffalo III
Chris Evans III

Michelle Williams II
Emma Stone II
Zazie Beetz II
Robert Downey Jr. II
Jake Gyllenhaal II
Leonardo DiCaprio II
Michael Shannon II
Rachel McAdams II
Hugh Jackman II
Domhnall Gleeson II

(pls lemme know if I overlooked some)

Chris Evans was in four movies that made the countdown:
# 94. Captain America: Civil War
# 79. Avengers: Endgame
# 74. Knives Out
# 72. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Michael Shannon was in three movies that made the countdown:
# 74. Knives Out
# 67. Take Shelter
# 52. The Shape of Water

48. John Wick (2014, Chad Stahelski) 132 points
47. The Act of Killing (2012, Joshua Oppenheimer, Christine Cynn, and Anonymous)
46. Logan (2017, James Mangold) 134 points
45. Midnight in Paris (2011, Woody Allen) 135 points

I've only seen bits of 'The Act of Killing', which was good but had to turn it off unexpectedly and never got round to finishing it.

'Midnight in Paris' I really need to get round to. 'John Wick' and 'Logan' are not on my radar at all.

44. Portrait Of A Lady On Fire
43. Avengers: Infinity War

Don't ask, my brain works funny sometimes

A system of cells interlinked
Just quickly, because I am behind...

Seen Logan and John Wick, but not seen Midnight in Paris and The Act of Killing.

Never got the hype for the John Wick stuff, even finding some of the dialogue and situations unintentionally funny. Never made it past the first one in the series.

Logan was good...but I am quite surprised to see it so high up on the list, or to even make the list, really. Kind of a head-scratcher.

138 points, 8 lists
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Director

Martin McDonagh, 2017

Starring

Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Lucas Hedges

139 points, 9 lists
Silence
Director

Martin Scorsese, 2016

Starring

Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, Liam Neeson, Yosuke Kubozuka

Trivia

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Frances McDormand was hesitant to take the role of Mildred when offered to her, but was eventually convinced by her husband, Joel Coen. She said, "Because at the time he gave it to me I was fifty-eight. I was concerned that women from this socioeconomic strata did not wait until thirty-eight to have their first child. So we went back and forth and we debated that quite for a while, and then finally my husband said, 'Just shut up and do it.'"
Silence - Daniel Day-Lewis and Liam Neeson replaced each other in projects that were both stuck in development for years. Neeson was set to play Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln (2012). When Neeson dropped out of the project, Day-Lewis replaced him. Later, Neeson replaced Day-Lewis in this film, after Day-Lewis was set to play the role of Father Ferreira.

I think I actually prefer Thief's guess of A Quiet Place. I'm more confident in my guess for 44.

Another reminder to just make my guesses and back away from the keyboard.

MoFo Reviewers

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

The recipe here is still McDonagh's (if you vibed with In Bruges, you'll like this) but there's a pinch and a dash of Coen Bros. this time that elevates the offering. The pinch is composer Carter Burwell, veteran of a dozen Coen productions, who brings a welcome habit of pulling the score back and letting perfectly-chosen songs take its place. The dash is Frances McDormand, who's actually hitched to one of the brothers, and whose grief-stricken Mildred feels a little like a version of Fargo's Marge Gunderson after she's lost everything. Both of them got their start with the Coens' Blood Simple, and both marry well to McDonagh's love of absurdity, both comedic and violent. This is the kind of film where people try to wound each other with words, and then go ahead and wound them literally anyway.
Read the full review here.

Silence

This film is practically the definition of an epic. All of the shots are huge and breathtaking, the story is intense, and even overwhelming at times, and the themes that are dealt with are intense and personal. It is clear that this was a passion project of Scorsese, and he really gave it his all. According to the internet, this film was first written in the 90s, and has been stuck in development hell ever since. I'm glad that Scorsese was finally able to make his dream film, but I think it is far from his best.
Read the full review here.

I really liked Three Billboards. I think it's an example of a film that crosses that boundary between the thinking persons drama and mainstream film. A friend of mine that doesn't normally watch this type of film saw it and and remarked "So what happened at the end? Did they find out who the criminal was? It just ended? Did I miss a bit?". Totally missing the point of the frustration that Frances McDormand's character faces. I think it's McDonagh's finest film.

Coincidentally I watched Silence for the first time last week. These were my thoughts:

Not top tier Scorsese. Some very good scenes but it's a bit of a patchwork, and it takes too long to get to them. And the accents by Neeson and Garfield start off near Portuguese, veer into Russian, take in a bit of Lazy French then they sort of give up. Neeson is full on Irish after the 2 hour mark. Maybe we're not supposed to notice at this point.

That said the story is interesting and engaging. I need to seek out the Japanese version based from the same novel.

No votes for these two from me.

Man, I thought for sure once we got into the top 50 the percentage of movies I've seen would go up but so far that's not the case because Three Billboards is only the second one I've seen in the upper half. I like it a lot but there are at least 25 other 2010's films that I like more.

Seen: 32/58
My Ballot:
7. Joker (#60)
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
14. Inside Out (#59)
20. Jojo Rabbit (2019) (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My Most Recent Review for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Martin McDonagh, 2017)
(Rewatch)

Despite having seen this movie in the theater and owning it on bluray for a number a years, I'd all but forgotten about the existence of this movie. But I vaguely recalled thinking it was pretty damn good so I stuck it on my list of rewatches for this countdown.

Having just watched it again, I have to say it is pretty damn good. Not perfect by any means, but pretty damn good. Sure, it has some scenes and situations that are implausible, to put it kindly, and its characters are not always the most likeable people, but it kept me fully engaged from start to finish. Implausible though it might be sometimes, this tale of tragedy, grief, rage, retribution, and redemption is also in turns heartbreaking, infuriating, and laugh-out-loud funny. It boasts an incredible cast that includes Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, Peter Dinklage, and Sam Rockwell, whose character is the most detestable and perhaps the most begrudgingly likeable of them all.

I don't know if all of this is enough to make me vote for it, but it's not out of the running yet.

Reply to Topic