The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
The Lives of Others and The Fountain

Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2
To be fair, Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 is from 2015. I know its greatness transcends decades, but I'm sure it'll get its due on the 2010s countdown.

I've not missed anything since I last commented. There's just little to say about them really. I've not seen three of them (S,NY, FN or A) and the other one I didn't really care for. Only saw it the once and, as I remember it, I liked the first 40 minutes or so (basically most of the in London stuff) then it went downhill faster than the infected and, by the end, I was happy to see it end. I was kind of intested in Synecdoche, New York but it was too late by then. 10 years earlier and I've have seen it. Adapted was right on the borderline in my exhaustion with modern cinema and Nic was enough for me to not really seek it out. Finding Nemo I recorded for my niece and nephew in case they wanted to watch it. They didn't so I've still not. I've no idea if they've seen it now.

147 points, 9 lists
Before Sunset
Director

Richard Linklater, 2004

Starring

Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy, Vernon Dobtcheff, Louise Lemoine Torrčs

151 points, 8 lists
The Lives of Others
Director

Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006

Starring

Martina Gedeck, Ulrich Mühe, Sebastian Koch, Ulrich Tukur

The Lives of Others and Spring Summer Fall Winter yadda yadda yadda
Guess it does revolve around you. Damn you! *lifts fist in air*

Hint breakdown...

Early hint? Why not?

WARNING: spoilers below

Hello, you're back (Jesse meeting again with Celine in BS)
After all these years (after 9 years is it? 10?)
You're on the other side (Gerd Wiesler, the spy, on the other side of the wall in TLOO)
You are our biggest fears (being a spy, he is the couple's biggest fear?)

I'm left in stasis (reference to love, but also a play on the word Stasi, which are the German spies)
Looking at you (again, reference to love and looks in BS)
I'm all wound up (or how the spy ends up all messed up...)
Listening to you (...by listening/spying to this couple in TLOO)

This process is hard (process of spying, or waiting for a loved one?)
but we will get through it
Maybe you'll write a book (BS starts with Jesse having written a book, TLOO ends with the guy writing a book)
Getting back home? Screw it. (I thought this would be the dead giveaway. Reference to the iconic final line of BS... "you're gonna miss that plane")

42. Before Sunset (147 points) - Excellent, possibly my favourite Linklater. Just missed out on my ballot. The whole trilogy is fantastic. screenwriting at it's finest.

41. The Lives of Others (151 points) - #2 on my ballot. One of the greatest films ever made. Nothing else to say.

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. Before Sunset was my #7. I've definitely established myself as a Linklater fan (despite not voting for Waking Life) and, while I still personally consider Slacker my favourite, I think it's only fair to consider the Before trilogy to be the main contender for his masterpiece (or three of them) - among them, Sunset might actually be the best as it proves a more than worthy continuation of the straightforward tale of fleeting romance he told in Sunrise, examining how time and distance (key elements throughout his career) have or have not affected the effortlessly charming rapport Jesse and Celine had established years before. It's not quite at the top of my Linklater ranking, but it may well get there someday.

As for The Lives of Others, I've seen it once and liked it.

Never seen Before Sunset, tbh I've never really felt any interest in any of the 'Before' trilogy. Have seen The Lives Of Others though and it was most certainly in with a shot of making my ballot for a while but just didn't quite manage to stay in contention.

Seen: 37/60 (Own: 27/60)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
40. Taken (2008)
39. 21 Grams (2003)

I watched Before Sunset just a couple weeks ago. I thought it did everything a sequel to Before Sunrise should do, even if this follow-up wasn't very unique in comparison to such a unique first movie.

Ah, these are both excellent. The Lives of Others didn't make my list, but I'm not at all surprised to see it here. Before Sunset was my #4. In general, I find Linklater to be a pretty mixed bag--some of his films I like a lot (Dazed and Confused, Waking Life) and some not so much (Slacker; Where'd You Go, Bernadette), but for me the Before... trilogy is both Linklater at his best and up there for me among my favorite series of films. As a marking of the passage of time, these films (which also more or less match my own life cycle moments) capture both their significance and their fleeting nature. And of the three (so far) this is the best of the lot, more mature than Sunrise, less morose than Midnight.

Stasis was the key word for me. I'm a little disappointed I didn't get them both this time though.
I really thought that word would go above most people, so...

I just must be in the wrong demographic here. Placed the percentage of what films will show up from my ballot. Yes, I'm optimistic.

My Ballot:  

Have seen so far: 31/ 61
Put on list for future viewing: 10
My list that ended up on the cutting room floor (dammit!): 6
Put on "meh" list : 15
Zero chance of ever watching: 9
1 Ptrs: seen 8

Reply to Topic