The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Well, earlier, Honeykid and I did a commentary for The Warriors. I saw all but the last 15 minutes of the movie, when I remembered that Big Brother was on and I was missing it, so I vacated the commentary.

OUTRAGEOUS that The Warriors was so high on this list! Outrageous! And so much higher than Rocky II, too. Stupid, stupid movie. Boring. Only thing I liked about it was Lynne Thigpen, and I bet you don't even know who that is (think mouths).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Well, earlier, Honeykid and I did a commentary for The Warriors. I saw all but the last 15 minutes of the movie, when I remembered that Big Brother was on and I was missing it, so I vacated the commentary.

OUTRAGEOUS that The Warriors was so high on this list! Outrageous! And so much higher than Rocky II, too. Stupid, stupid movie. Boring. Only thing I liked about it was Lynne Thigpen, and I bet you don't even know who that is (think mouths).

Lynne Thigpen is Mick Jagger?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I don't think I've seen Blazing Saddles since I was 14. I liked it then, though.

Dirty Harry is a classic. We had to program a code for something in our house, and we made it his badge number.

Dirty Harry would've been my #26 probably. i've seen most of Blazing Saddles but never in one sitting. from what i've seen it's probably my favorite mel brooks, although i don't enjoy his humor as much as i did when i was a kid. it's one of my dad's favorites.

Dirty Harry was a surprise for me. I've never been much of a fan of Clint Eastwood and went into it with low expectations. I actually found myself really enjoying his performance and the film as a whole. It was my #11.

I've seen Blazing Saddles a few times over the years but it never really appealed to me.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
5. Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

Another late night bar update! Dirty Harry was on twenty-two ballots, five top tens: a first place vote, a fifth, a seventh, an eighth, and a ninth. Mel Brooks enters the countdown with his raucous Blazing Saddles, which was on nineteen ballots, and had seven top tens: a second place, two fourth, an eighth, and three tenth placers.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-18-00-26-04.jpg
Views:	1473
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	16738  

I had Dirty Harry at #11. I pretty much grew up on Dirty Harry and Clint Eastwood movies. I've seen Blazing Saddles many, many times (no where near as many times as Dirty Harry though), but I don't like it enough to include it on my list.

My list:

3. Life of Brian (#41)
5. Manhattan (#52)
6. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
7. The Jerk (#54)
8. The Omen (#99)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
24. Being There (#98)
25. Little Big Man (#61)

And here I thought Blazing Saddles might be in the Top 10.

I couldn't get into Blazing Saddles when I tried to watch it years ago.

Dirty Harry -- I've never seen it. Want to. Probably better than The Warriors.

Dirty Harry wasn't on my list but it's a good film and deserves to be there. I expected Blazing Saddles to be up as high as this too as I know there's a lot of love for it, but don't like it much meself

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw Dirty Harry a long time ago, but I didn't care for it much. It's not my type of movie, but I'm not surprised to see it this high up in the countdown.

On the other hand, I like Mel Brooks, but I think Blazing Saddles is an overrated movie. It's not one of his best movies, and I'm surprised that it's this high on the countdown.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Dirty Harry is a wonderful melding of a character to an actor. This is easily the best of the Dirty Harry movies and is certainly the most self-sufficient in its telling of a scary story about a madman murderer called the Scorpio Killer (Andrew Robinson) who terrorizes San Francisco while straight-arrow, but essentially fascistic cop Harry Callahan has to break in a new partner (Reni Santoni) and continues to piss off all the city authorities in his quest to save people and clean up the scum of the city. Sure, it's quite topical for 1971, but it's amazingly relevant to our own times where people are arguing about the difference between the rights of civilization versus the rights of the "criminals". Dirty Harry is one of the best fantasy policiers ever made and it honestly makes you question how much of a Bleeding Heart you can actually be in the face of mindless violence. Before I make it sound like something too heavy, it's wildly-exciting and smartly-funny. San Francisco is an awesome location, Lalo Schifrin's cool, jazzy score ups the suspense and Siegel expertly orchestrates the action and atmosphere.

Blazing Saddles is Mel Brooks at his raunchiest and most-surreal. Screw politically-correct. He and his screenwriters go out of their way to offend everyone, and the performances are pitch-perfect, from Cleavon Little's Soul Brotha Sheriff to Gene Wilder's laid-back gunfighter to Madeline Kahn's Marlene Dietrich-impression from Destry Rides Again. Brooks also highlights the fact he's making a movie at every turn, with nods to Looney Tunes ("Candygram for Mongo"), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (badges and beans) and weird biker, blaxploitation and KKK references ("Hey, where the white women at?") that it seems normal that it all ends up at the Warner Bros. Studio and sound stages and a movie theatre playing Blazing Saddles itself. It's not Brooks' funniest but it is his most-anarchic.

Two more good films I didn't vote for.

And here we have two from my list! At one point and time in my life, Dirty Harry was my favorite movie. Still one of my all time favs, and it was number 7 on my list. Blazing Saddles is number 4. One of the funniest movies of all time.

Seen 52/68

My list: 7

4. Blazing Saddles (33)
7. Dirty Harry (34)
8. Dawn of the Dead (35)
11. Mean Streets (77)
13. Rocky Horror Picture Show (46)
15. Mad Max (70)
24. All the President’s Men (75)

Like the previous 2, these are 2 long time favorites of mine that I just didn't have room for in the end. The director of Dirty Harry, Don Siegel, had a few 70's movies that I loved. I voted for one of them, but it won't make it. He had a nice decade.

Another one bites the dust! Blazing Saddles was my #14. Saw it for the list and found it hilarious, Brooks' funniest film and far better than the overrated (IMO) Producers.

1. Sure thing
2. Picnic at Hanging Rock
3. Sure thing
4. Hausu
5. Nope
6. It better
7. Yep
9. Carrie
11. Top 10
12. No
13. Being There
14. Blazing Saddles
15. Nashville
16. American Graffiti
17. Top 10
18. Top 2
19. Walkabout
20. Yuuuup
21. Yep
22. A Woman Under the Influence
23. No chance
24. Top 10
25. Yes

Carrie... meh, I've wrote my thoughts about it before.

Dirty Harry is a very good, enjoyable film.

Blazing Saddles is pretty good and funny in parts, but I don't find it hilarious like some people. Same with Young Frankenstein.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Dirty Harry was my #24 and I thought it wasn't going to make it this high, I didn't think enough people would have voted it high enough.

Well, I was wrong, and arguably one of Clint Eastwood's finest character performances has made this '70s list. Forget some critic's criticism of the film being apologetic of fascism, Harry Callahan is just your archetypal anti-hero, he doesn't f*** around when it comes to killing criminals. And obviously that doesn't make him right.

Dirty Harry is great. It gives me hope for the rest of my list.

Reviews

Two enjoyable movies for sure!

Mark F's description of Dirty Harry as a concept and as a movie is spot on, so I don't have much to add. It's a smart and entertaining film with a very interesting main character.
Besides that, there aren't many film moments that are more iconic than Eastwood playing God with his 44 Magnum and asking criminals whether they "feel lucky".

-------------------------------------------

Blazing Saddles never was my favorite Mel Brooks film. While watching it for the first time, I did laugh a few times, but I found it lacking comparing to the superior Young Frankenstein. I already had the mediocre review of it written in my head, but then, suddenly, came one of the most over the top, boundless and satisfying comedy endings I've ever seen that made me reevaluate the whole movie.

I still think the comedy is terribly stupid at times (I know many people like it, but I think the farting scene is not funny at all for instance), but there are some good bits (Madeline Kahn is awesome as always and there are a few good cartoonish sketches) and the ending is absolutely phenomenal!

--------------------------------------------

34. Dirty Harry –

33. Blazing Saddles –

Neither made my list.